Diplomatic Lectures

samulis

Otherwise known as the 'Oh crud... I attacked you? I didn't mean it!!! Stop the messages please!!! PLEASE!!!' thread. This is where my finest diplomatic correspondence on world 51 is posted, just as a reminder- don't attack me, this is what ends up in your mailbox.

Sadly, I only have day fourteen's note remaining, but here it is nevertheless. The topic is a Republic in Grepolis that I created... sadly, my audience member no. 3 (who was added to the mailing list because he attacked me) dropped out and I can't figure out why. :lol:

Anyway, these lectures (and also a few random documents) are without names, just to preserve the people who SHOULD be reading these from a little too much humiliation. When I run out of text space here, I'll go onto other pages and link them back here. I will try to post every day's lecture, but I may forget!

Oh, and dates are for lols. Don't write in your next science paper that a 10th century English philosopher wrote this stuff. :icon_razz:

L_MM_14 (lecture 14- Isilith Value Systems- Part 4/5- Samulis d'Arlidor)
[spoil]
Document: L_MM_14
Document Code: ISL_VAL-d'ARL
Date Sent: J. 14th, 2011
Part 4/5

-------

Isilithian Value Systems
A Report on the Values of a Fictitious Republic

Information Gathered by Samulis d'Arlidor- 974 A.D.
Translated by the Neumarkian Society - 1946 A.D.

Part III- The People and The Concept

When ruling, leaders who claim to follow the people truly do not, but instead follow the concept created by the people. What I deem 'the concept' is merely the set of ideals expressed by the people as a whole, not including outliers. Thus, the people are truly not in power over their own government directly, but influencing it in an indirect manner. Furthermore, there is a period of wait before the concept is 'updated' by the people, that period being caused by the quality of communication between the people and their government. The faster the communication, the shorter the wait between concept and people becomes.

For example, if the people generally believe that declaring war on a foreign body would be wise, the leader will see that as the concept. If the people change their mind and believe that declaring war on a foreign body would be foolish, then there is a brief period during which the leader is uninformed of the change in mind and will not follow suit. After meeting with the people or their representatives, he may make a decision.

The purpose of our republic and more autocratic systems is to shorten the time between the people and the leader as for conveying the concept, yet also keep the concept in high fidelity.

When talking about fidelity, one must think about economics. A skilled blacksmith and six apprentices can make a fair sword in six hours from start to finish, per example, so that would be two swords in a twelve-hour day. In comparison to a republic, the blacksmith would call in three other blacksmiths instead of six apprentices and thus, using their skill, would be able to produce a sword of very similar quality in three hours. Comparatively, a Monarchy would be like looking at a treatise about iron-working and then making the sword and a democracy would be like using a hundred unskilled laborers to help with production. A Feudal Monarchy would be like hiring three blacksmiths, 12 apprentices, and 60 unskilled laborers to help with production and then organizing them in work groups.

The less people involved in the decision making process, the less fidelity the final result is to the pure concept. Thus, a democracy promotes a very high fidelity (yet very long to discover!) concept, while a one-man monarchy may have trouble even identifying the concept in the first place (there is a reason why kings have advisers and wizards to aid them)!

When Lord d'Berkshire and I began work on Isilith, we decided to aim for a system which would stand for both fidelity and speed, thus we chose a Roman-style republic as our basic structure. It allows for the different classes to be (theoretically) equally represented in government and for decisions to be made both quickly and effectively. Unlike a uni-party or bicameral system, our government is designed to have many parties that are, instead of being grouped by stance, are grouped by region... The more active and able the members of the certain region, the more representation they are open to having, even to the point where their region is named 'Capital'.

-------
Day 14 of the new cycle, everyone! Thanks for reading today's lecture. After we finish up Isilith, we'll move out of Government and into cultural aspects, and then onward into the unknown!

-Samulis
[/spoil]

L_MM_15 (lecture 15- Isilith Value Systems- Part 5/5- Samulis d'Arlidor)
[spoil]
Document: L_MM_15
Document Code: ISL_VAL-d'ARL
Date Sent: J. 15th, 2011
Part 5/5

-------

Isilithian Value Systems
A Report on the Values of a Fictitious Republic

Information Gathered by Samulis d'Arlidor- 974 A.D.
Translated by the Neumarkian Society - 1946 A.D.

Part IV- Conclusion

Thus the noble ruler finds himself finding council in the most unlikely of kings, the common man. It is the heart and the soul of the republic of Isilith to bring the ideas of the people to the table and respond to them, or at least to bring the concept that the people generally believe in to the table. Lord d'Bershire and I worked hard to create a government in which the ideas of the people would be represented. Through countless hours of research in the libraries of Rome, we have made many observations on Roman value systems, as well ask Greek ideas, and put them into our new-age government. Perhaps one day in the future a brave king will open this book and make his own government off of ours, but until then, there shall be only an idea of Isilith.

-Samulis De Arlidor

[/spoil]

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I love reading your stuff Samu :icon_razz:
I had no idea you were still playing here 0o Restart to the south and join us again? :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

So you write huge lectures about different things and send them en masse to people that are attacking you? With little to no actual involvement from the community at large and no real reason for most of w51 to give any feedback, I don't think this is in the right place.

Moved to general discussion.

samulis

I'd be glad to join, Rush., but I already restarted NW.

Greenskin, most noble moderator, I feel you have made even better judgment than I in my posting... I am always confused as to which of the two forums I should post into. :icon_redface:

Sadly it isn't en masse, as I have very few foes (or at least, hostile foes). Some recipients even asked to be added to the list.

DeletedUser

Feel free to put me in your mail list. Always happy to listen to lectures...
Ballistick - Leader of METAL

samulis

-excuse the double-post-

L_MM_16
(lecture 16- Government- Part 1/3- Samulis d'Arlidor)
[spoil]
Document: L_MM_16
Document Code: GOV'T-d'ARL
Date Sent: J. 16th, 2011
Part 1/3

1. Size

Each tribe (or alliance) needs a distinct separation between the rulers and the people. The rulers, who I call 'the Cabinet', although the term is not truly applicable, should have more than a 2-1 ratio with the people, unless a pure democracy is what you wish.

When selecting an appropriate size for your 'cabinet', it is key to remember three points-

The Three Precepts of the 'Cabinet' Distribution and Size

• If the people are not active, a smaller and more centralized government is better.
  • If the 'cabinet' is not full of active people, a larger and broader government is better.
  • If both the people and the government are active, a fair-sized neutral system is better.
This can be followed up by comparing the ratio of 'leaders' to 'citizens'. Under the terms of an inactive people, the ratio of leaders-to-citizens should number between 1-10 and 1-5. Under the terms of an inactive ruling party, the ratio of leaders-to-citizens should number between 1-6 and 1-4. Under the terms of a generally active alliance in entirety, the ratio should number between 1-7 and 1-5. These numbers vary between government types (see the system types for more information).

Each alliance is checked by various factors that limit the size and expansion of the alliance. There are three main factors that do so.

1. Inactivity/Corruption- Where a government official does not perform his proper role due to either exterior forces, personal interests, or other reasons.
  2. Poor Communication- Where there is a lack of communication- either within the government or between the government and the people.
  3. Lack of Respect- Where the government and the people do not respect each other, so one party leaves.

2. Systems

There are three broad terms used to classify governments- Autocratic, Oligarchic, and Democratic. Within those three types are many different sub-types. In general, there are three you will deal with, but six that are easily done. Below is listed the optimum situations for each government.

Definitions

Effectiveness- How quickly the regime can give a reply/closure to an issue. LOW is bad. (e.g. make a decision on a NAP)
Popular Risk- The chance that the regime's decision will anger the basic majority. HIGH is bad.
Popularity- How often you will see one of these in the game.

1. Dictatorship/Autocracy

A Dictatorship is any system in which a single person, the Dictator, rules over all aspects of life for the tribe and the citizens. He takes on the Legislative efforts by creating policies, then takes on the Executive by enforcing those policies, and finally takes on the Judicial by evaluating the policies and any issues at hand.

Leader-to-member Ratio: 1-x
Ideal Leaders: 1 (no margin)
Ideal Assistant Leaders: 0 (if greater, the gov't turns into a 'Monarchy')
Ideal Members: 0-20
Leader Activity: HIGH
Member Activity: LOW
Effectiveness: HIGH
Popular Risk: HIGH
Popularity: LOW, centered around small alliances

2. 'Monarchy' and/or Feudal Monarchy

A (by the book) Monarchy is essentially just a Dictatorship where the ruler's power is passed to his/her (generally) eldest son. However, when I speak of it, I mean a system in which a King rules with assistant ruler(s). When a 'Monarchy' is paired with a powerful system of classes called the Feudal System, it is turned into a very organized chain of command. At the top of this chain is the King, then comes two/three rulers who each rule over two/three rulers who each rule over... (and so on down as far as one needs to go to accommodate the entire population to the proper ratio). Thus, rule assists with reducing the popular risk and also allows a much more coordinated front, and also some well-deserved rest for the King, who now has some of his duties taken care of by his underlings. Using this system, the tribe may expand to near endless levels, only checked by the limits of communication.

Leader-to-member Ratio: 1-3 to 1-7
Ideal Leaders: 1-2
Ideal Assistant Leaders: 4-14
Ideal Members: 8-500
Leader Activity: MEDIUM
Effectiveness: HIGH, still one king
Popular Risk: MEDIUM
Popularity: MEDIUM, often systems based off of them are seen

3. Oligarchy

In an oligarchy, a group of people rule, just as a group of chairpersons is in charge of a company or fund. There may or may not be a head to the group, but regardless, it is the group that makes the decisions. The group itself may or may not come from a variety of the people. It generally is a single class of the people that is selected by a single person to perform certain tasks. Oligarchies are among the most stable forms, simply because they are neither hard to maintain nor are they too poor with relations with the people (although they can be).

Leader-to-member Ratio: 1-3 to 1-20
Ideal Leaders: 2-4
Ideal Assistant Leaders: 0-6
Ideal Members: 8-300
Leader Activity: MEDIUM/HIGH
Effectiveness: MEDIUM/HIGH
Popularity: HIGH, very easy to see one

4. "Tribal Council" System

A mix between an Oligarchy and a Feudal Monarchy. There generally is a class system, but the ruling class of Oligarchs is more dominant and defined on the chain of command, the sub-classes are merely for organization and easier tactical commands and rarely go further than two sub-classes under the Tribal Council system. Upon the top ruling class, jobs are generally distributed upon two different sides- internal (head of government) or external (head of state). The rulers each take up all three parts of government (executive, legislative, judicial), just as a monarch would, and thus compliment each other. Leaders must be VERY good at communicating and working together. This is the most popular system.

Leader-to-member Ratio: 1-2 to 1-20
Ideal Leaders: 2-4
Ideal Assistant Leaders: 4-30
Ideal Members: 10-600
Member Activity: MEDIUM
Effectiveness: HIGH
Popularity: VERY HIGH, almost everywhere

5. Republic (alternately, a Representative Democracy)

Republics are tricky, but not as tricky as Dictatorships or pure Democracies. The way a Republic works is simple on paper- the system is divided into two main groups, the central government and the local government. The local government is made up of many individual leaders who each have their own group to look after. They represent that group to the central government, which then has all of the representatives discuss and then vote upon plans of action. This system is tricky to master, though, and requires excellent activity and communication. In times of war or desperate need, the voting body generally elects a dictator (or two) who TEMPORARILY take on an autocratic rule of the body for a set period of time.

Leader-to-member Ratio: 1-3 to 1-8
Ideal Leaders: 1-3
Ideal Assistant Leaders: 6-20
Ideal Members: 14-100
Leader Activity: VERY HIGH
Member Activity: MEDIUM
Effectiveness: MEDIUM
Popular Risk: LOW
Popularity: MEDIUM/LOW, not too many really know how to make one in the first place, so they generally end up horrifically failing.

6. Pure Democracy

I will start this off by saying that there are no countries in the world today that are pure Democracies. There are ones that have Democratic ideas or partially build upon the concept, but it is impossible to form a Democracy with the time it takes to communicate and analyze opinions for a modern country. Even a country of 100,000 would still take its time making a decision. Essentially how it works is that EVERY CITIZEN votes on EVERY MATTER from a new NAP to inviting new members. The leaders are merely moderators of the discussion- they don't have any more of a say than any other citizen in any matter. Often, there is a system in place where a dictator is permitted to rule for a short period of time because of the need of a strong leader in war.

Leader-to-member Ratio: N/A
Ideal Leaders: 1-2
Ideal Assistant Leaders: 2-30
Ideal Members: 2-30
Member Activity: HIGH
Effectiveness: LOW
Popular Risk: VERY LOW
Popularity: VERY LOW, you are lucky to have seen one.

3. Changing an Existing System

The more extreme the changes and the greater the members, the more preparation will be needed. Because every alliance begins as a dictatorship, you will need to decide where you want to bring the alliance in its 'golden size' of 8-18 members. After 18, it gets increasingly more difficult to change government types radically.

3a. The Constitution

When changing the type, you will need to first build a framework. The primary form of framework is called a Constitution, or for all you more old-fashioned folks, a construction plan. This document, your Constitution, will describe:

1. HOW the government works.
  2. WHO does what.
  3. HOW laws are made and enforced.
  4. WHAT laws there are.
  5. WHAT to do in a variety of situations.
Constitutions are very important in making sure the system works like a well-oiled machine. Hastily created or non-written ones result in failure-prone or corrupt systems, so it is very important that the drafter(s) take time to evaluate all situations. The best part about them is, they are amendable (changeable), as long as you remembered to write in a part about how it can be amended and who may amend it.

Here is an example of a Constitution from a Republic modeled heavily off of the Roman Republic:
http://petaworkshops.webs.com/Isilithconst.html

A question I get a lot is 'Do I need a Constitution/Book of Laws?' The answer is 'Yes'. Most tribes simply run off of a mentally-kept pile of 'common-sense' laws and rules or a basic '1. don't kill each other. 2. don't fill the forums with nonsense...' rule posts in the forum. If you want your government to remain stable and not hit any hitches for a very long time, use a Constitution or Book of Laws.

3b. Implementation

Be sure to slowly introduce the new system to your members, do not go too fast! Explain it clearly in a mass-message, in the forums, and make sure your constitution is clean and well-written so everyone can understand it.

If you plan to divide people up as one needs to do in a Feudal Monarchy, Tribal System, or Republic, it's best to make a map with lines drawn on it showing the separations.

[spoil]

Map2final.png

[/spoil]

With the help of the map, you can settle disputes, reorganize members, and balance the government.

4. Reference Materials

Here are some items for reference when creating a government:

Republic Constitution
Republic Division Map
Republic Plan for Gov't

Government Guide (old)

A Feudal System's Basic Constitution

Basic Outline for a Constitution:

1. Diplomacy (often called the ‘Foreign Policy’)
    1. Define: NAP, Alliance, War, Cease-Fire
    2. Define job of Diplomat
    3. Define who can be a Diplomat
    4. Requirements for NAP, Alliance, and Cease-Fire
    5. How to create War
    6. Invitations and Recruiting Policy
    7. Refugee policy
  2. Farms (optional)
    1. Rules on keeping farms strong
    2. Farming farms that other alliances use policy
    3. How to deal with the farming of alliance members
  3. Rights and Privileges
    1. …of members
    2. …of leaders (by rank)
  4. Requirements
    1. Activity Policy
    2. Support Policy
    3. Forums Policy
  5. Closing Statement
    1. Further Notes
  6. Amendments
[/spoil]

DeletedUser

Samulis. For what it's worth, I think that what you're doing is absolutely hysterical. I reread my original post about moving it and realized it probably sounds way harsher than I intended. As for which forum something belongs in... don't worry about it. I can handle that stuff.

DeletedUser

is this forum for blog staffs and moderators ? :p ... jk ... good lecture :)

Wallam

Its too long and tbh I dont really like the style you wrote above the spoilers so it put me off...

Sorry :(

samulis

Its too long and tbh I dont really like the style you wrote above the spoilers so it put me off...

Sorry :(

What do you think this is, a collection of 'elevator lectures'? Nah, this is the good stuff... the stuff that really does drive your enemies insane. :lol:

It's okay if you don't like them...

Wallam

What do you think this is, a collection of 'elevator lectures'? Nah, this is the good stuff... the stuff that really does drive your enemies insane. :lol:

It's okay if you don't like them...

I didn't actually read anything in the spoiler I got bored before I reached the first one :/

Wallam

Thank goodness you didn't post it in the forums I mod, I don't think I would be able to cope :icon_redface:

samulis

Great, I'm on 54. :)

Today's Lecture:

L_MM_17 (lecture 17- Government- Part 2/3- Samulis d'Arlidor)
[spoil]
Document: L_MM_17
Date Sent: J. 17th, 2011
Part 2/3

Head of State vs. Head of Government and the Five Principles of Leaders

There are two basic jobs in the top tier of government, the Head of State, or the Head of Exterior Affairs, and the Head of Government, or the Head of Internal Affairs. Essentially, the Head of State oversees foreign relations and monitors relations, while the Head of Government oversees that the government is functioning properly and takes on the executive efforts.

By taking on the task of Head of State, you are essentially the 'face' of the alliance, as Osl112 spoke of. You need to be strong and quick, yet correct, to act. There is nothing more important than making sure the alliance is not creating friction with exterior forces. If you help create that friction, then you will be dubbed a 'War-Monger', and perhaps thrown out (unless the general majority/person in power wants said war).

Thus we come to our first principle of leadership, Serve the State. Leaders serve the State, or the opinion of said state. Essentially, I mean that when you take on the job of leading, you should not serve your own interests, but serve the interests that are most ideal in the minds of everyone, or at least the basic majority (that way you only loose half the tribe at the very worst).

By taking on the task of Head of Government, you are essentially the 'mind' and 'glue' of the alliance. Failure to perform your job will result in major consequences, as you are in charge of pretty much everything imaginable. Thus, it is very important that you remain active. Your main job is to oversee the activity of members and to ensure that the rights and privileges are used correctly and not abused. You should very rarely have to contact exterior forces, instead, you rely on the Head of State to perform your duty. In systems where the leader(s) take on both roles, you will have to do so as well. A note of warning, however, taking on exterior forces and interior forces at the same time is very tiring and you may be looking at an early retirement from service unless you have assistants to take on individual aspects for you.

Thus we come upon the second principle of leadership, Live Actively. All leaders must remain active and strong in their service of the state. Going inactive is like sailing away, and will loose you much of your support.

The third principle is simple, Defend the State Before Thyself. It is your duty to 'go down with the ship', as one would say. As leader, you need to spend as much of your time leading as fighting for growth, freedom from foreign influences, and longevity.

The fourth principle follows suit, Act in Accordance to the Source of Power. For most leaders, the source of power is actually the people- especially here. It is hard to make a regime in which power is held by fear because people are free to leave or quit any time they'd like. So, you must act in accord to the people in your alliance.

The fifth principle remains the most elemental of leaders, Lead With The Best Foot Forward. All leaders should be a model of their ideal member. Leaders should be both heroic and honorable, and embody all the qualities the state holds best in all men.

Priorities of the Noble Leader
This list was drafted during a long discussion with a leader who I feel was quite inadequate. It is very selfless in ideas, and the better you follow it, the more people will respect you. Although this list is made for a Feudal Monarchy, it can be used for pretty much anything.

• The rights of all members are respected and all barons are properly respected as independent rulers of their own fiefdoms, and only called upon by their honor and in times of direct need.
  • The tribe is to be equally and harmoniously run. The Duke is not to make decisions affecting the entire tribe, except in times of desperate need on the tribe's behalf.
  • The laws are to be respected at all times. Failure to respect the rules of the tribe reflect negatively on the leader, showing neglect of his own value system.
  • The Interests of Allies and Neutral forces are to be respected always. Failure to respect ones allies and neutral forces is failure to respect ones own agreements.
  • The interests of your fellow Dukes are above yours and you are to obey them, no matter if they conflict with yours. Especially if a majority of the dukes side with that interest. If a majority side against it, then you may resist it, but you may NOT act on it as long as A SINGLE DUKE AGREES WITH THAT INTEREST.
  • The interests of the Barons are to account for your own personal interests and are to be respected.
  • The Interests of the Players are to account for parts of the Baron's interests and are to be respected and seen as equal advice.
  • The Rights of the enemies of the tribe are to be respected always. If your enemy asks to have conference, then you are to write or speak to him, regardless of your own personal feelings towards him. The enemy shall be treated with respect and there shall be no attempts to make him look foolish during the discussion.
  • The Interests of the Yourself are the lowest priority on your list. The Founder should put himself in the way of enemy fire to protect his own people. He should be merciful to all his subordinates. Lastly, he should be not a figure in a shining spotlight, but live in modesty and on an equal plane of living to his barons, if not his members.

[/spoil]

L_MM_18 (lecture 18- Government- Part 3/3- Samulis d'Arlidor)
[spoil]
Document: L_MM_18
Date Sent: J. 18th, 2011
Part 3/3

The Economy of the Alliance

At certain times in the life of a civilization it is required to make outside contact. Countries that refuse to do so are called 'Isolationist'. Such countries sometimes suffer from a lack in the influx of ideas, such as technology and new techniques and methods. It is very important that nations understand the need to trade and communicate, as well as make treaties and embargoes, with foreign powers.

In Grepolis, trade is not the most crucial part of gameplay, but it certainly aids the skillful and intelligent player in obtaining the ultimate goal- victory over those who wish to destroy him/her. Yet trade in a more literal sense means the spread of idea- so thus open-mindedness is key to maintaining a powerful alliance. A wise leader must look into new ideas and strategies to keep his member states active, ready, and willing or else they will be lost to inactivity, boredom, and enemy rouges.

When selecting an economic policy, it is very important to remember one's government type. Government types that involve more of the people in the decision-making process tend to lean towards the individual as having the say in the sale of goods and finding new ideas, while government types that involve fewer people often feel they must command the exact flow of ideas- control free speech, manage who sells all that iron, and so on. These are not definite guidelines, and most governments actually shoot straight down the middle- ordering members to do some things, but allowing them to freely do as they please, following the ideas proposed by English thinker and economist Adam Smith, who stated what can essentially be summed up as 'by doing what suits you (the individual) best, you are helping society as a whole'.

There are three economic policies to look into using parts of:

Command Economy

• The Gov't decides upon the price and availablity of goods.
  • The gov't puts forward regulations on goods.
  • The gov't essentially commands the exact market and who works where.

Mixed Economy

• The gov't may impose regulations on goods.
  • Generally, the distributor decides upon the price and availability of goods.
  • Generally, the individual may decide where to work.
Free Economy

• The gov't never imposes regulations on goods.
  • The distributor always decides upon the price and availability of goods.
  • The individual always decides where to work.
As I said, the Mixed Economy is the most prevalent in both the world and in-game. It balances personal liberties and proper regulation to make sure the economy stays strong and well-balanced.

[/spoil]

L_MM_19 (lecture 19- Creating Fictional Names- Part 1/1- Samulis d'Arlidor)
[spoil]
Document: L_MM_19
Document Code: CFiN-d'ARL
Date Sent: J. 19th, 2011
Part 1/1

Making the Names

In contrary to what one may think about making names, it is actually a very simple and extremely effective process.

1. Take a common word. Our example will be the word 'word'.
  2. Now, distort it... move letters around and switch letters for other letters... our 'word' may now be anything from 'vard' to 'aern' to whatever else your mind may think up... even 'ward' or 'nord'.
  3. Take that distorted word and plop on an ending from the corresponding category.
Greek/Roman Endings:

Masculine (give this type of ending to the name of a male): -us, -ius, -is, -os, -ii, -oris, -orus.
Female (give this type of ending to the name of a female): -ia, -a, -aea, -ya, -lia, -e, -ae (often plural, such as 'graeae', a fearsome trio of female seers/witches).
Neuter (give these to either gender of character): -es, -em, -ei, -ie, -t, -it, -aeus, -er, -ar.
Locational (give these endings only to cities, towns, kingdoms, or other locations): -irith, -ith, -ia, -ium, -inae, -erus, -arus, -mus, -idor, -ardor, -amor, -anor.
Medieval/Gothic:

Names often follow the above endings, with several distortion differences. Many names we know today originate from Medieval names... here's a list of a few...
Examples of Medieval names used today: Duncan (saxon/english), Henry (germanic/english), Harry (english), Harold (saxon/english), Fredrick (germanic), Arthur (english/Norman), James (english), John (english), William (english/norman), Bernard (french/norman).
Many medieval names also followed cultural backgrounds. For example, the -wyde ending might be found at the end of a celtic name while a -rick ending might be found at the end of a Germanic name. Do not let your mind stumble under modern names when it comes to ancient Greece, the Dark ages, or the middle ages. You could have a Leverinaeus in ancient greece and a Domaraux in medieval france.
Once again, think of existing words and plug in a wild ending... try to do a bit of research on the culture you are putting the character in. If you can find bits of language for that culture/country, use endings from some of the words.
For example, a character named Armegadaeus would have to be in the ancient world... perhaps a Greek. How do you know? The ending is of that type and the overall feel of the name is similar to the format of Greek language and names.
Tribal and Fantasy Names:

Tribal names are as wild as possible... yet, still, they should be pronounceable. A good example of a tribal character would be 'Ceriax'... the name looks like something you would see out of some odd mix between Roman and French names... yet, someone who is not a linguist would never be able to tell. 'Cerias' would be a example of a BAD tribal name. It clearly is some form of Greek name.

Elves
Elven names are a seperate matter. Go femanine or Neuter in almost all cases... Names from movies and books like 'Elrond' and 'Eldar' spring into your head... elven names are flowing and very graceful. They should be pronounceable, but NOT modest. Go for a name like Versil or Amaedriae. Oh, and vowels are often used in the beginning of the name.

Dragons, Ancient Spirits, and Heroes from Long Ago
Dragons go with names that are strong and often contain lots of short and 'sharp' letters, with a lot of 'saru' and 'derath' and very masculine names like Sarmathius or Nerothios. Ancient Spirits need names like dragons, but they are often more neuter and -os ending... take for example Craeos. Sounds archaic, right?
Heroes from long ago get fancy and polished names... take for example the hero Leon Hammerdal from my game or perhaps 'Versilius the Wise'. Same with Kings of Old and such people.
Little touch-ups to make a large impact

A key thing to add is accent marks if the name is tribal, evil, or of a powerful character. For example Ner'dun is a stronger name than Nerdun alone. It gives the idea that Ner is a title given to Dun and that the bearer has power with that title. However, don't overdo that part.
Also, make sure you get the nationalities and time periods correct. Don't have a 'Noraestius' be a character in a gang who has a rocket launcher... that doesn't make any sense... nor should you have an ancient Roman named Norm. Nationalities are slightly harder to identify, but a well made name will almost always reveal its origin to you... just look for other words your mind traveled to in making the word... all words are related some how... and every name has its origin.

[/spoil]

Last edited: