[Discussion] Early World ODA/D

DeletedUser

It's that time again! That time where I spark the same debate as I have done in the past and the W30 community discusses. The forums have been abit boring for me today so I thought it was time to discuss in more detail and depth the subject of ODA/D as we have about 1 week before BP is over.

So, Today I would like to discuss the topic of early world ODA/D and views on it.
At what stage does OD become important enough to judge a players ability soley on his/her ODA/D? Do you REALLY look at someones ODA/D and judge them on it instead of their points? Most claim they do, but do they? :)icon_eek:)

Opponents Defeated:

Opponents Defeated (OD) is a ranking metric used by Tribal Wars that many players consider a more valuable measure of skill than points.
You gain OD by killing enemy troops. Each unit killed is worth a certain amount of OD. There are two types of OD rank, OD attack rank and OD defense rank.

Subject Of ODD:

ODD can sometimes be very under-rated. In my opinion, late in-game high ODD is a better way to judge a tribes communication, co-ordination etc.
Especially if the village/player under attack isn't lost. However, it could also suggest a player has the knowledge and ability to shift support around between his villages with good timing.
Does that allow you to judge a players ability? ODD shows you got attacked, enticing others to attack you in the short term,
but making more back off if the increases in ODD were in the past.

Subject Of ODA:

ODA is, in my opinion again(My opinions are countless):)lol:), a far more tricky metric ot measure a players ability on. Early into the world it can mean several things.
It's far easier to judge if you know how it was gained. Was it gained by clearing an area strategically leaving 2-4 future noble targets in the 15x15?
Was it gained by recklessly attacking everyone in your area in an attempt to be in the top ranks of ODA?
Does low ODA mean a player has more troops? Does it show the LC rushing strategy was used?

Frequency to use troops in the most important thing in a game with limited troops.
Your troop limit is dictated by farm capacity and there is a fixed number of troops you can have.
Any time you are not building troops is wasted time.
If you make a nuke and it sits in your villag.e for a week you are wasting time and ignoring the dynamics of the game

There are several factors which can/need to be included when judging someone on their ODA/D.
After some discussion with a few players(I interviewed some policeman style):)icon_cool:), here's a few valid points I thought I would include:

"I believe that ODA is probably the most important statistic for individual players, as well as total tribe ODA.
ODA shows the aggressiveness of the player/tribe and shows how they like to play the game
(a low ODA may show a conservative player who likes nobling barbs while a high ODA shows the opposite).
At this stage of the game, until nobles are out,
ODA is next to worthless and having a high ODA means you have simply lost more troops than you need to.
The most important statistic in my opinion that goes along with ODA is barb ennoblements.
Usually you can see that the aggressive players end up with fantastic noble targets and dont have to waste nobles on 1800 point barbs." - John Murray

"ODA does not say a player is good, but it says a player is active and aggressive.
Sleeping troops are a threat to no-one. ODD says you're about to get rimmed. :icon_razz:
ODD shows a unchbag player. Offense builds faster then Defense." - Solitary

"ODA is over-rated, the people who REALLY care aout it are the top rankers.
Although high ODA is almost always a good ROUGH guide to showing who the good players are,
average players all too often 'chase' the ODA to make themselves look good,
clearing players they dont need to, or players they wont even farm enough to make it worthwile" - User Not Found

"ODD in my opinion is also important. It is not as useful as ODA for determining the play style of that player,
as anyone can be stacked by their tribe the second they get incomings but it is important in the early stages.
Mainly because if a player can withstand multiple attacks and still continue to grow without being farmed,
it shows they know what they are doing and how to defend effectively." - John Murray

"As the ex rank 1 ODA player in this world(W25), I can safely say It has not made me a better player,
but has given me a psychological edge sometimes. All in all. High ODA does not make some-one a good player,
it makes them someone who has had a bunch of turtles and mass supporting tribes near them" - User Not Found

So, let's have a look how OD is calculated.

Troop Type : When attacking / When defending

Spear: 4 / 1
Sword: 5 / 2
Axe: 1 / 4
Archer: 5 / 2
Scout: 1 / 2
Light Cavalry: 5 / 13
Mounted Archer: 6 / 12
Heavy Cavalry 23 / 15
Ram: 4 / 8
Catapult: 12 / 10
Paladin: 40 / 20
Nobleman: 200 / 200

Do you prefer the :)lightcavalry:) or the :)spear:)

On that bombshell(op gear phrase Ftw):)icon_biggrin:), hope you enjoyed:)icon_razz:)

Discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1747

"ODA is over-rated, the people who REALLY care aout it are the top rankers.
Although high ODA is almost always a good ROUGH guide to showing who the good players are,
average players all too often 'chase' the ODA to make themselves look good,
clearing players they dont need to, or players they wont even farm enough to make it worthwile" - Vpar/User Not Found

"As the ex rank 1 ODA player in this world(W25), I can safely say It has not made me a better player,
but has given me a psychological edge sometimes. All in all. High ODA does not make some-one a good player,
it makes them someone who has had a bunch of turtles and mass supporting tribes near them" - Vpar/User Not Found

I already talked to you about this, kebabe. Whoever User not found is, I am not him.

As for this post, it was already discussed extensively on previous worlds. It is an interesting debate, but views will merely be rehashed.

DeletedUser

I already talked to you about this, kebabe. Whoever User not found is, I am not him.

Yeah I forgot to change it. Will edit in a sec. The reason why I brought it upon the W30 community was due to the ability/quality of players being ALOT higher then it wasin W28 and would be interesting seeing how views compare

DeletedUser

Well, simple:

ODD: Doesn’t say shit about the player but his tribe. The member’s willingness to help each other, and the tribe’s ability to stack/coordinate (if stacking can even be considered coordination). ODD is kind of useless…

ODA: The players level aggressiveness, and I would even go as fare as troop level and “troop focus”. A high ODA can only be uphold be a constant rebuild of for troop. And aggressiveness=farming, which is very important the first 2 month. ODA to me is only important in the first two month, when farming is important. After 2 month it’s just about being I a tribe that is in war, and really don’t say shit.

DeletedUser

Well, simple:

ODD: Doesn’t say shit about the player but his tribe. The member’s willingness to help each other, and the tribe’s ability to stack/coordinate (if stacking can even be considered coordination). ODD is kind of useless…

But surely if a player recieved no help from his tribe whatsoever and it was all down to his ability of timing, shifting support and activity it says something about him? :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

But surely if a player recieved no help from his tribe whatsoever and it was all down to his ability of timing, shifting support and activity it says something about him? :icon_wink:
Yeah that's true, but you know that no.1 in ODD is always someone stacked by his tribe. I think that the only place ODD is a merger of players own ability’s is Speed worlds.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The quality of a TW'er cannot be judged quantitivaly, you need to actually experience play with (or even better against) a player to see how they operate. To me, ODA is a near worthless statistic, if it has reasonable existance.

Super fast

Early world OD Means almost nothing. Imo

All it shows is who has hit spiles and who has not.

hompsu

eh... my opinion about early ODA... it means how unlucky you have been..
every time you get ODA, it set you back little bit.. you lose precious troops, and haul space.
So at this point, ODA only means lost troops and hauls..
well.. it also shows who are farming, but everyone knows that...

by the way... great topic Optimus :)

DeletedUser22924

lol,

well ODA shows ur killing troops after BP of course and means ur active, but later on OD has little values, it only shows he has killed alot or has been main target many times

DeletedUser

odd winds me up cause u get barley any from sniping trains, but thts usally more skillful deffending. On other worlds I play it like this:

1 I make a ratio of oda vs odd
2 I look at tribes odd and ida

What I determine is:

A person with a high ratio say for instance 10mil to 4 mill.. Tht person is aggressive but prefers to snipe trains or similar deffensive techniques. A player with a ratio of say 1 to 1 is obviously aggressive, but prefers to stack there deffense. You also have to factor in how aggressive u think they are, and enoblments against them!!!

Ali

Joediggity

Personal ODD does not mean anything other than you are about to be rimmed. High ODD for a growing tribe means they support each other well.

As far as ODA goes I believe there is a balance that needs to be found and maintained. When I look at a players stats I look at the ratio between his/her point rank and his/her ODA rank. What I have seen is the good players all have ODA rank close to their Point rank. Higher ODA rank than point rank means the player is more aggressive (not necessarily better or worse). However, low ODA rank compared to point rank means to me the person does not know how to use his/her troops is happy just taking barbarians. While they may grow for a while in their PH ways eventually one of the better balanced players will wipe them off the map.

DeletedUser

Personal ODD does not mean anything other than you are about to be rimmed. High ODD for a growing tribe means they support each other well.

There have been people who have gained large odd without losing many villages. It may mean that the person is attacked but not necessarily rimmed

Joediggity

Or high ODD can mean the person attacking them is a noob. On one of the early worlds I had a guy attack me with all his defensive troops. My odd skyrocketed when 3 villages of defensive troops hit my stacked villages. It didn't mean I was a great player, it just meant the person attacking me wasn't.

DeletedUser46356

High ODA this close after bp means that you got neighbors who arent pointwhores.
High ODD means you got neighbors that thought you where a piontwhore.

Just what I have discovered in my short time here.

DeletedUser

As long as your barracks and stable are at decent levels, decent hauls from farming, good sitters, less mistakes during farming. You will be alright economy wise. A common problem is when a player losses 200 of his 300 LC's during his raid. Most players have a difficult time rebuilding those lost units and upgrading their economy at the same time.

The best players learn how to adapt in that situation. Also good sitters help.