Discussion: Holiday attack breaks and support unavailability

DeletedUser656

Hi everyone,

As usual we'll be having attack breaks over the Christmas and New Year holidays. The details are as follows:

Christmas holidays

From 00:00 on the 24th of December to 00:00 on the 27th of December, any attacks that arrive at villages will turn into visits. They will not do any damage.

From 18:00 on the 24th of December to 06:00 on the 26th of December, you will be prevented from sending any attacks.

xmas.png

The attack break affects both attacks on barbarian villages and player owned villages.

Our support team will be unavailable on the 24th, 25th and 26th of December. It will still be possible to send in tickets, but you should not expect any replies.

New year's holidays

From 00:00 on the 31st of December to 00:00 on the 2nd of January, any attacks that arrive at villages will turn into visits. They will not do any damage.

From 10:00 on the 31st of December to 10:00 on the 1st of January, you will be prevented from sending any attacks.

ny.png

The attack break affects both attacks on barbarian villages and player owned villages.
Our support team will be unavailable on the 1st of January. It will still be possible to send in tickets, but you should not expect any replies.

Thanks,

Morthy
Community Manager

Deleted User - 832139

Just a heads up .. attacks are out that take over 200hrs to land .. could put this up a littler earlier guys .. now they will hit nothing and not be back for an age .. then have to reset the opp :(

darkaniken2

Just a heads up .. attacks are out that take over 200hrs to land .. could put this up a littler earlier guys .. now they will hit nothing and not be back for an age .. then have to reset the opp :(

The breaks are on the same days, at the same times, every year. I don't think it's Morthy's fault if people don't plan for that...

DeletedUser

I really like the fact that attacks cannot be sent during the time frame either. It avoids a situation where a tribe coordinates attacks on everyone in another tribe to land after the break ends while they are less likely to be able to get support. I also like that barbs cannot be attacked during this time frame either.

My only criticism: Not enough breaks. I mean, I love this game, but it can get really draining really fast to be fully active all the time. If an MMO is a time sink, this game is a life sink. I think this game would be better overall if there was some sort of calm at a regular interval. Of course, strategy can still revolve around it. Just like how tribes like to do pre-christmas nobling operations to try and claim villages that cannot be renobled in time, there would be regular activity pushes if we had something like that.

It would also be nice if a player can take a personal hiatus - you know, for your own religious holidays, or birthday, or family emergency. Maybe each player can set a time in advance when the world is created to be their "personal break" which would be visible to all (and prevents them from attacking on their own break as well as being attacked) and another time that can be activated within 24 hours if you have not been attacked in the previous 7 days. So people can't use it to get out of a war situation, but can generally use it if they know months ahead of time they will need time to spend with the family.

Granted, there is account sitting, and account sharing, but I think overall I would prefer to have more than one real break per game world.

DeletedUser

Account sitting is designed to take place of your personal breaks.. If you play servers like .us you had Thanksgiving and 4th of July attack breaks (if I'm not mistaken? I don't play .us). I also believe that .uk has night time protection that make your defense stronger from certain hours overnight.

DeletedUser

Account sitting is designed to take place of your personal breaks.

In practice, it doesn't work that way. Even if you find someone that you can trust and work well with there are account sitting restrictions. So if I took a week break and they did back and forth and we otherwise night sat for each other it might run into permanent account sitting restrictions. Aside from that though, you might not find someone you can work well with, and generally the more active players - the ones more likely to get burned out - tend to do the sitting for the least active players. It's a real mess.

If you play servers like .us you had Thanksgiving and 4th of July attack breaks (if I'm not mistaken? I don't play .us). I also believe that .uk has night time protection that make your defense stronger from certain hours overnight.

I have only played on international servers, but I would wonder how that whole Thanksgiving break thing would work if it was international since Thanksgiving is basically just the old harvest festival so has a different date depending on what country you are in. (in Canada it's before Halloween)

Why not just make it on every solstice/equinox? Evenly spaced breaks every few weeks. Maybe allow a kind of competitive world that uses an interval break system?

I wish there was a variation of night protection for international. Say, the night protection is based on a time zone of your choice for your village. You then have to figure out what that time is for a player. So if you find their active times, you probably know when their defenses are higher, which would add an element of risk in attacking someone when you think they are asleep.

Thinking about this from a business perspective, the longer someone plays the more money they would pay into it if they play with premium. More breaks mean the players are less burned out which means they are more likely to spend more money overall. Speaking for myself, I only play a few months at a time every few years I know people who rarely play even that long. It would make the game much better and bring them more profits so I don't understand why these breaks are not a regular feature.

DeletedUser118606

I just returned to TW after 4 years away, and I expected the breaks to occur and was looking forward to them. Back then, many of us would use it as an opportunity to farm only the barbs and not deal with either incoming nor outgoing attacks from/to other players other than the "hey how are you" fakes we'd send just to see the funny posts about the visits, since Innogames would usually have a variety of reports.

Therefore, I'm very disappointed that this year you have included barbs in this year's attack breaks. Those would give everyone, especially the smaller players, a chance to gain or regain some ground.

twenty-five

Barbs have been included in the attack breaks as long as I remember, there has been worlds released (w29/w30 for sure maybe others) around the time of the attack breaks with extended bp though, instead of attack breaks, so barbs were farmable. I think this is where your misunderstanding has come from.

DeletedUser94483

If you go and read the arguments raised in every years attack break thread. The reason is that this is supposed to give everyone the chance to walk away with 0 concern as no one can gain an edge.

Asylum Escapee

Every year the attack break caused my destruction, this year, I'm not playing, so the breaks can't hurt me.

Gorth Kirgar

The main question is:
Will the break of landing end at exactly 00:00:00:000?
Or should we be wary of a possible delay?

Durtmcgurt

Cause the attacks do not register on 00:00:00:000 24/12 - 00:00:00:000 27/12

Meaning on and in between that time, attacks do not register.

Hope it helps with your planning.

Gorth Kirgar

Cause the attacks do not register on 00:00:00:000 24/12 - 00:00:00:000 27/12

Meaning on and in between that time, attacks do not register.

Hope it helps with your planning.

But I was actually asking because some worlds were supposed to start at a round number too, but somehow started like half a minute later.

On worlds that are around for a while, it won't matter that much, as you can just have attacks land 5 minutes later. But on a new world like w85, it's kinda crucial to hit exactly the second after the break to clear the farms.