Discussion: Update to version 8.21

DeletedUser656

Update to version 8.21

Dear players,
We've got a new update for you that will be released on Monday the 14th of April. The update will take place between 10:00 and 11:00. The game worlds themselves will only be unavailable for a couple minutes.
This update again consists mainly of improvements to existing features to make them more useful.

If you're a script author, or simply interested in script-relevant changes in this update, we've prepared some information for you on the development blog.
See below for the list of changes:

Handling incoming attacks on the Incomings Overview
Please note: the Incomings Overview is a feature that is only available to players with an active Premium Account.
In version 8.20, some of the changes we made to the renaming system stopped some scripts from working. Some of the most missed scripts were for handling large numbers of incoming attacks, so we've decided to add better ways to handle those as part of the game.
- Incoming attack labeling: added button to mass-rename selecting attacks on the Incoming Overview. The attacks will be renamed according to an estimation of what the slowest unit in the attack might be, based on the assumption that the attack had just been sent when you click the Attack Labelling button. Only attacks that have not already been renamed will be labelled.
- Added a column showing distance which shows the distance between your village and the origin village.
- Attacks shown on the Incomings Overview can now be filtered by player name, origin and destination in addition to the already-possible command name. These filters can be found under "Manage filters", above the list of attacks.
- Added an column showing the incoming attack's origin (this was already available in certain worlds, will now be active everywhere).
incomings_labelling.png

Easier target finding in the Rally Point
We added two new ways to select a target in the Rally Point to make it more convenient to find specific villages (mostly useful in the early stages of a world): searching by player name or by village name.
You can of course still use coordinates in the way you are currently used to.
rally_point.png

Other
- Price trend graphs for resource trades will no longer be shown in worlds where trade is restricted to only 1:1 ratios.
- Groups editing/creation on the Groups Overview page will no longer show all of your groups but instead just the first 5 unless you choose to see more. This is to avoid too much scrolling for players with large amounts of groups.
- Passwords will no longer be sent in emails from the game to improve security.
- Removed the snowy-village graphics option since it's spring.
- Changed some links in the homepage's main menu and added some useful and potentially interesting links to the bottom of the page.
- We've made improvements to our handling of time related elements, such as the server time, resource counts and decreasing timers. Using technology available in modern browsers we can now ensure that the times shown in your browser are more precisely synced with the actual server time. These improvements are available in the following browser versions: Internet Explorer 10+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 31+ and Opera 20+.
- The Farm Assistant page will load a faster for players with many reports. As part of this, there are two minor changes to the Farm Assistant: deleting the latest report about a village will remove that village from the list, and if you receive a red report and have chosen to hide red reports, that village will be removed from the list.
- Bug fixes and other minor improvements

darkaniken2

I like this update very much. Shame the time updates don't work on older browsers, but understandable.

DeletedUser

Just want to say thanks to morthy for listening to and acting on the feedback given for this update on beta

DeletedUser94483

I would still like to see the edit groups in other overviews come back.

DeletedUser

I like this update very much. Shame the time updates don't work on older browsers, but understandable.

I agree with this as well. Looks a decent update.

The changes to the FA look particularly good and I'm interested as to what new links have been added. If I was to complain about anything, the rally point addition strikes me as somewhat pointless.

EDIT: If the attack ID's are no longer accessible, will that render the attack sorter useless (assuming it wasn't broken by the last update)? If it's still usable, then I think it's a good part of the update, if not then tagging old incomings may be a little difficult :icon_redface:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Shame the time updates don't work on older browsers, but understandable.

There is only one browser option for large account, mid world game-play & warfare imo & yep...Immo continue to disregard this...be glad to end the current world & get out of TW entirely.

DeletedUser

Yeah, looks like a decent additon to the game. Should make tagging alittle easier. I also heard and read in the blog that attack Id's will no longer be accessible? Like that change, idk if others will though :icon_neutral:

DeletedUser

I also heard and read in the blog that attack Id's will no longer be accessible? Like that change, idk if others will though :icon_neutral:

Why would anyone be glad that the ID-er wasn't accessible anymore...I don't understand that...Especially if the newly-introduced tagger is not going to be accurate a lot; based on slowest troop send times...it will remove the ability to authenticate whatever data is thrown up by that...crazy imo.

DeletedUser656

Why would anyone be glad that the ID-er wasn't accessible anymore...I don't understand that...Especially if the newly-introduced tagger is not going to be accurate a lot; based on slowest troop send times...it will remove the ability to authenticate whatever data is thrown up by that...crazy imo.

I think it depends entirely where you stand on the "level playing field" debate. The question is to what length should players be able to influence how well they do in the game by external things like their programming ability (e.g.: hosted attack ID databases). There are some things that I think nearly everyone can agree should be illegal, like bots. I've seen a number of people that wish scripts weren't allowed at all and that people should just play the game using only the standard UI.

Using attack IDs to determine when a command was sent was clearly not meant as part of the game design, and in our opinion it's not really a fair tactic anymore.

If you're not online when someone attacks you, it's meant to be hard to know what they're sending.

DeletedUser

I think it depends entirely where you stand on the "level playing field" debate. The question is to what length should players be able to influence how well they do in the game by external things like their programming ability (e.g.: hosted attack ID databases). There are some things that I think nearly everyone can agree should be illegal, like bots. I've seen a number of people that wish scripts weren't allowed at all and that people should just play the game using only the standard UI.

Using attack IDs to determine when a command was sent was clearly not meant as part of the game design, and in our opinion it's not really a fair tactic anymore.

If you're not online when someone attacks you, it's meant to be hard to know what they're sending.

so will you be removing the buy queues shorter buying sheilds extra production etc to keep this level playing field you speak of

DeletedUser

Morthy; i am an officially assessed slow learner...i am dyslexic/dyspraxic & not very IT au fait...Subsequently, it's taken me 3+ years, to finally get to grips with playing TW in a semi-competent manner. With the help of online friends & Tribe-Mates, I finally managed to incorporate the time-saving options like hotkeys for farming etc that make managing a 2,745,431pt account realistically possible. Now, through Immo not supporting older Opera, that ability is slowly being eroded. I was a solo player on my current world for most of the time & the one thing that made not having a Co-Player more managable was being able to accurately ID the numerous incomings that a TWarring account encounters. I can understand that the changes that are being implemented might work well on new worlds but to have all these changes,mid-world seems extremely unfair, especially at such an advanced stage of gameplay. & I support starbuck1971's point about Pay2Win benefits, also.

DeletedUser

When you have been playing tribal wars for so long, you start to see how things like Attack Id's actaully impact the game. Yes it's great for groups of actives players who understand or even know about them. There are just tons of players/tribes out there with players who don't have the time or resources to keep the attack id's thread going. So it just becomes a advantage for players who are always active/online. That's one reason i wouldn't mind it being removed. It's still going to be tough for less active players, but it will give them a more balanced playing field.

DeletedUser

When you have been playing tribal wars for so long, you start to see how things like Attack Id's actaully impact the game. Yes it's great for groups of actives players who understand or even know about them. There are just tons of players/tribes out there with players who don't have the time or resources to keep the attack id's thread going. So it just becomes a advantage for players who are always active/online. That's one reason i wouldn't mind it being removed. It's still going to be tough for less active players, but it will give them a more balanced playing field.

So what your saying is this: you think its now easier for less active guys, because they will now have absolutely no clue whatsoever anymore about attacks, that were sent when they weren´t online? Thank god, my account is 24 hours active. I dont care about attack IDs, but I think, with this you are shooting yourselves in your own feet.

As well, may I ask, will older versions of browsers still work to play the game? Like the legendary Opera 12.16? Or am I just not gonna get any advantage of the added improvements?

DeletedUser

& how do we learn about these things like the ID-er? By being taught about it & trained to use it, in-Tribe...i was a TW-green, half-noob Co-Playing in a Pro-Tribe on w64 when I learned about it. There is minimal time & resources required to keep it updated; sending a farm-run does the trick. It sounds like Immo is dissing long-play TW-gamers who KNOW if your account isn't hyper-active, you get killed. End of.

DeletedUser

I didn't say it would be easier for less active players, it won't. It will give players that might be newer or haven't found out about attack IDs. I liked using it, but IMO it just takes away from the game. It will take the game back to making you think and actually think more about where your going to be attack instead of just running a script to tag every incoming you recieve. Agree me or disagree me, it's fine, this is just my opinion.

Grammar Commie

Your argument doesn't really make sense...

Extremely active accounts and co-played accounts don't really need the attack id at all. If you're always there to see the attacks launched then why would you need a database?

Those who could (and do) benefit from accessibility of attack ids are collectives of players who cover the full 24 hours of ST as a group...oh, yeah, that'd be called a tribe...

It sounds like Inno is dissing long-play TW-gamers...

Been doing that for a good few updates now. This one actually looks far less destructive than any of the last 5 or 6...

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Been doing that for a good few updates now. This one actually looks far less destructive than any of the last 5 or 6...

Perhaps....that remains to be seen, doesn't it...Certainly hoping so & the advance warning & data-availability regarding changes IS a positive.

DeletedUser96026

We can level the damn playing field by removing growing barbs. Stop the newbie from being outgrown simply because he doesn't have the time to farm as much as his neighbor. Bring this game back to the days were sim-citying was part of winning. End the need for coplaying, end the substantial advantages of 24/7 accounts. Don't end the substantial advantages of a good tribe that's required to actively keep an Attack ID database up-to-date.

Attack ID databases were sacred tools for solo accounts, for people like me who have kids, work full-time, and go to college full-time and can't afford to spend more than a few hours on this game. The removal of Attack IDs has it's disadvantages. Got rimmed on a world because you thought it was a fake train? Grab yourself a coplayer with a 24/7 account and it'll never happen again! We're setting a bad precedent here Mort, not good stuff.

[video=youtube;xs73-eVBu6I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs73-eVBu6I[/video]

Hell, most newbs quit before they even realize they can "tag" an attack. Start there, not at the middle of the race like we're doing now. Get that shitty tutorial out of here. What newb wants to be told what to build. The best part of my newby experience was researching the different buildings, and how I'd benefit from building/upgrading them. "It's my building and I wanna build it now." I'd be damned if some tutorial is gonna try to boss me around, and reward me for doing so; like I'm some kinda dog. Tear down the guide threads, tear down the Scripts forum. Too much information scares ya newbs away, Mort. Hey and while you're at it, tear down that useless Suggestions forum so we can quit wasting our time trying to make this game better. And quit spamming these worlds with Guest accounts, damnit!