Ideas? Help? Plz?

• Thread starter Agent Incognito
  • Start date

DeletedUser

I have eng classes in my secondary and private school so i can tell you a lot :p
but can you be more specific ? what do you need to know ?

DeletedUser

Just what sort of activities you find interesting/useful, really. :)

DeletedUser

Interesting ? No :D

Useful ? Try to talk with them more, get some interesting topics... Talk to every1, not only to students with better marks and be patient lol
Nobody likes when teacher talks only about lesions in book :p.

DeletedUser

My favorite English assignment was when a list of all the acceptable reading for the year was passed around & you had to sign up to read five of the books. I believe the panels were of five students per book (which you could change accordingly). You would be part of the panel for four of the books & lead the panel on one of them. The students that sign up for the book lead a discussion in front of the class discussing the book & what makes it good/bad, as well as answering any questions (which you may have to prepare, if the other students don't ask enough). You give the other students participation points for asking questions (optional). I really liked this assignment because I felt like I wasn't being forced to read one specific book. If there are books that you have sort of wanted to read for a while and might not normally be selected, it would make it possible to read that specific book.

Another assignment that I liked was a makeshift Latin assignment. We would get a list of 10 prefixes, 10 roots, and 10 suffixes (or maybe it was more? been a while since I was in school). These prefixes, roots & suffixes are used in the English language, so it helps the students to construct/deconstruct a word. I'll take word origins for $400 Alex :)

DeletedUser

Hello my prettiez!

:icon_redface:

But ye... Some excellent stuff can be found on the net in terms of general mistakes. Being a dyslexic I generally murder the whole spelling and grammar of the English language but some random internet blogs have helped me amazingly...example:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

I never misused the word again :p And I got a good chuckle out of it too.

Other stuffs is like:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

Loads more can be found on the use of their/there and your/you're etc. I spoon feed these blogs to my skype chat, some day they will use them correctly I hope.

DeletedUser

@ Just-Epic - Heh, I have ze low ability classes. There's not much danger of only talking to the 'high mark' kids.

@ Perv3rt - Grazie. The book/panel idea sounds pretty cool. Would prolly try it with my 10s. Can't really do that this term, given I've only got three weeks left, and next term is Shakespeare, but it'd probably be perfect for term 4. Might have to just make it an overall panel per group though, rather'n 5 books per group. Don't think term 4 is long enough for that. :D

@ Ebbs - Lulz, I love that 'alot' site, it rocks my world. Haven't seen the apostrophe one before... tis win. Might take one point per lesson with my 9s. Heh. Hrms. I have a student with dyslexia. Which no one actually told me about until roughly 6 weeks into the first term. And even then, it was his mother, at p/t night. So I've read all the latest stuff on it, but do you have any tried-and-true methods for helping with it? Anything you found particularly useful?

Jobetopia

@ Ebbs - Lulz, I love that 'alot' site, it rocks my world. Haven't seen the apostrophe one before... tis win. Might take one point per lesson with my 9s. Heh. Hrms. I have a student with dyslexia. Which no one actually told me about until roughly 6 weeks into the first term. And even then, it was his mother, at p/t night. So I've read all the latest stuff on it, but do you have any tried-and-true methods for helping with it? Anything you found particularly useful?

Being dsylexic too - computers helped me alot (Not just for the spelling and grammer check) - But put a pen in my hand and it all goes wrong, my writings illegible, my words jumbled, and it takes an age to fill the page. Keyboard and screen, no such problems - weird I know.

DeletedUser

@ Perv3rt - Grazie. The book/panel idea sounds pretty cool. Would prolly try it with my 10s. Can't really do that this term, given I've only got three weeks left, and next term is Shakespeare, but it'd probably be perfect for term 4. Might have to just make it an overall panel per group though, rather'n 5 books per group. Don't think term 4 is long enough for that. :D

Don't. As you say, if you've got the 'low-ability' class, don't try and cram a lot into Term 4. We only get 8.5 weeks for Term 4 here.

Then again, I am at a private school, and we get more holidays than State Schools. :lol:

DeletedUser

@ Jobe - Nah, makes sense. Might need to take that class to ze library.

@ Lewder - Smirk. They can still do work. And they get 10 weeks. I dun really need to be told how much to do with 'em. :p

Just what sort of activities are interesting.

DeletedUser

Considering the term is essentially over, not much you can do to help. Unfortunately dyslexia is a rather wide ranging condition. In future, or if you have the student next year, best thing to do is ask for a copy of his Psychologist report, where it will detail which area of dyslexia he suffers in, could be spelling, reading, speed processing, mental arthritic, memory or another area. Each is to be treated differently, and coping techniques can help each. I had a remedial teacher for primary school which helped a lot. Reading and repetition was the basics of coping with most of the areas of deficit.

Being dsylexic too - computers helped me alot (Not just for the spelling and grammer check) - But put a pen in my hand and it all goes wrong, my writings illegible, my words jumbled, and it takes an age to fill the page. Keyboard and screen, no such problems - weird I know.

Id assume as it slows down the user at first and spell correcting points out spelling mistakes helps for learning through reputation.

"alot" - Jobe, you didnt read my link :/ http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html :p

DeletedUser

I'm in Australia... we don't finish the school year until mid-December. So I've got a bit more time with the kid. :p

But cool, vill find out what area is a problem for him. Grazie.

DeletedUser

@ Lewder - Smirk. They can still do work. And they get 10 weeks. I dun really need to be told how much to do with 'em. :p

You get 10 weeks? O_O

At one point we only get 1 week. You only get 6 weeks of summer holidays or so. Bahahaha.

DeletedUser

Years 11 and 12 don't in Term 4, naw. But 8s, 9s and 10s do.

And nein. I get 6 weeks out of the classroom. Not 6 weeks of holidays.

DeletedUser

Years 11 and 12 don't in Term 4, naw. But 8s, 9s and 10s do.

And nein. I get 6 weeks out of the classroom. Not 6 weeks of holidays.

Same here. 11s here get 8 weeks, 12s a mere 7 weeks.

Its almost a joke how long our holidays are, I personally think we should scrap half-weeks of holidays and combine it to be one full week of holidays in the Winter Break, making it a month long :D

And what's the difference?

DeletedUser

Basically AI, don't try to bee too teacheryish. Obviously maintain the teaching part/making sure the class don't get out of hand. But talk to them at their level, joke around, and generally be yourself. Especially with the older ones (year 11/12). I've found that younger kids learn better if taught a bit more strictly, but also talked to as a person, not a student. And I've definitely found over the last 2 years, that acting pretty much completely yourself with year 12's, and talking to them about day to day life etc, you get an awesome response. :] My maths teachers sit down and talk about all sorts. One of them sat down with us and nagged about how her husband crashed into her car, and ranted on about having to deal with the insurance/said she refused to help him in court (He didn't actually claim properly apparently. :L). So yeah. :]

Doubt that helped, and I rambled loads. :D Sowwy. :L

DeletedUser

Lulz. Naw. Is good to know, grazie.

Talking to ze students is no prob. I'd just like to broaden my range of activities. >)

I have the sneaking suspicion that just because I enjoy English, it doesn't mean everyone does. :p

DeletedUser

Don't lulz at meh. :icon_cry: *Tells Marc* D:

Activitehs eh.. Have lessons on TW? We could do with a few new players around. :D And before you say, TW is deffo educational, you can't deny that. :3

And nah, I'm a hater of English. :D Well, liked English Lang, but I haaaated English Lit. :/