Internet Problems

zalasta

Hi I am having a few problems with my wireless internet router.

I have BT Broadband with a Wireless G+ router which gives me wireless internet to my laptop. But occasionally i will be using my laptop (usually using the internet) when all of a sudden my MSN and Internet will go off when i troubleshoot on MSN it says my default gateway is offline. What does this mean??? Even when it says this the internet connection to my desktop is fine and still works. Recently i have resolved the problem by simply unplugging my internet and router and either after a few seconds or sometime mins it will come back on.

Any suggestions???

Thnx in advance to any advice,
zalasta

The Unnamed Warrior

it says my default gateway is offline. What does this mean???

Making certain assumptions, Default Gateway = Router. END OF E-HELP.

zalasta

Making certain assumptions, it means your Router is "off"/Can't connect.

But as i explained when my laptops internet is failing my desktop which is right next to my router is fine and the internet still runs.

Could it be a problem with my laptop???

DeletedUser3397

Hi I am having a few problems with my wireless internet router.

I have BT Broadband with a Wireless G+ router which gives me wireless internet to my laptop. But occasionally i will be using my laptop (usually using the internet) when all of a sudden my MSN and Internet will go off when i troubleshoot on MSN it says my default gateway is offline. What does this mean??? Even when it says this the internet connection to my desktop is fine and still works. Recently i have resolved the problem by simply unplugging my internet and router and either after a few seconds or sometime mins it will come back on.

Any suggestions???

Thnx in advance to any advice,
zalasta

1: It could just be your router, I'm assuming it's a Linksys, if so people seem to experience your problem with that router.

2: Try updating your firmware for you router.

zalasta

1: It could just be your router, I'm assuming it's a Linksys, if so people seem to experience your problem with that router.

2: Try updating your firmware for you router.

I don't think it is its probably a crappy british make or sumthing.

The Unnamed Warrior

But as i explained when my laptops internet is failing my desktop which is right next to my router is fine and the internet still runs.

Could it be a problem with my laptop???

How do your laptop and desktop connect to the internet? Both directly through the same router?

DeletedUser3397

I don't think it is its probably a crappy british make or sumthing.

That could be the problem, what I would do is use different IP addresses for your desktop and laptop. Usually you have to do that if you're using wireless and you're using more than one pc.

zalasta

That could be the problem, what I would do is use different IP addresses for your desktop and laptop. Usually you have to do that if you're using wireless if you're using more than one pc.

Any advice on how to do that???

The Unnamed Warrior

:( That sounds ominous

Will it ever give me any serious problems other than no internet connection for a few minutes???
I haven't had any problems with it beyond that so probably not.
That could be the problem, what I would do is use different IP addresses for your desktop and laptop. Usually you have to do that if you're using wireless and you're using more than one pc.

...What the hell do you mean?

DeletedUser3397

I haven't had any problems with it beyond that so probably not.

...What the hell do you mean?

Well some crappy routers can't set up separate default IP addresses for the different PC's in your house. Basically one kicks the other out. Doesn't cause much of a problem unless you have an angry brother or sister.

Zalasta, I would call your ISP and ask them first. I could be wrong and setting up a wrong IP address for you could mess things up.

zalasta

Well some crappy routers can't set up separate default IP addresses for the different PC's in your house. Basically one kicks the other out. Doesn't cause much of a problem unless you have an angry brother or sister.

Zalasta, I would call your ISP and ask them first. I could be wrong and setting up a wrong IP address for you could mess things up.

I think they have seperate Ip's anyway. I checked once after i had been on TW on the desktop and it showed a different IP to the one that showed up after logging in on my laptop.

I'm also pretty much the only person who uses either computer. The desktop is used very little by anyone else so i dont think there are any problems with that.

The Unnamed Warrior

If there was an IP conflict he would have gotten Belkins lovely little popup box, so it would be safe to assume there are no problems with it since he did not mention such a glaring thing. :3

If he is setting up IPs for the computers behind the Router (like 192.68.*.* typical subnet crap) then it shouldn't really matter.

DeletedUser3397

If there was an IP conflict he would have gotten Belkins lovely little popup box, so it would be safe to assume there are no problems with it since he did not mention such a glaring thing. :3

If he is setting up IPs for the computers behind the Router (like 192.68.*.* typical subnet crap) then it shouldn't really matter.

Well I know nothing of these Belkin routers but I had that problem with a crappy one before. If they do have different IP's it's most likely the router. But, I'm not a computer technician.

zalasta

The IP's are definetely different.

I havent got any pop ups from belkin.

Although sometimes while using the internet it has caused my laptop to freeze and on a few occasions come up with some annoying thing from the "Tech Guys" about how i should re install Vista or restart my comp