Make bans public

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

So move it to the suggestion forum.

In game punishment should be public, transparency would help inform others about what penalties and how others are rule breaking and would then themselves not engage in that behavior.

DeletedUser

So move it to the suggestion forum.

In game punishment should be public, transparency would help inform others about what penalties and how others are rule breaking and would then themselves not engage in that behavior.

But it has negative effects.

Player A is fighting Player B and Player C. Player C gets given a war time ban (an account can still be attacked and nobled during a war time ban). Player A finds out and hits Player C who can't fight back.

Now if it turns out Player C is innocent this whole issue gets very very messy. Villages have to be given back, nukes refunded and it causes a lot more havoc than if nobody found out about the ban.

DeletedUser

But it has negative effects.

Player A is fighting Player B and Player C. Player C gets given a war time ban (an account can still be attacked and nobled during a war time ban). Player A finds out and hits Player C who can't fight back.

Now if it turns out Player C is innocent this whole issue gets very very messy. Villages have to be given back, nukes refunded and it causes a lot more havoc than if nobody found out about the ban.

Not saying your example isn't relevant but it doesn't really take that long to realise someones been banned, spys, activity, etc

DeletedUser

Not saying your example isn't relevant but it doesn't really take that long to realise someones been banned, spys, activity, etc

Either way. I'd have to agree with truscott on this one.

DeletedUser

In an effort to help Truscott out, I'd like to address some of the points that were made.

Yes, sometimes the mods do make mistakes. For example, in UK 1 I was banned for multi-accounting. What had really happened is three brothers were playing the same world from the same computer and had failed to notify TW that they were sharing a connection. I sat one of the players for a couple days while he was out of town. Then I got banned. I figured out what must've happened, appealed, explained my side, and got unbanned and an apology from the mod.

Someone seemed to be upset by the appeal option, saying why appeal if you made a mistake. Remember there's always the second option of accepting the punishment.

Talking about how TWstaff should make scripts: Why should they? They are under no obligation to do so. Some do, but they aren't forced to. If you really wanted a script badly enough to do something in game, you'd make it yourself rather than complaining about how other people won't do it for you.

"Something that is bannable shouldn't be easy to achieve with the game." Oh really? Well lets start by going over some of the rules.
Rule 1: One account per player per game world. Its well known that many players play under aliases in different worlds. What's to stop them from doing so on the same world.
Rule 3: Can't attack, support, etc. same player with both accounts until 24 hours is over. TW can't do anything to keep you from breaking this rule. It would be equivalent of putting a ban on every player one accounts attacks so that the other couldn't attack it.
Rule 5: Communication. What's to stop someone from swearing or speaking in a different language. There is no way humanly possible that TW could read every single mail, post, village name, etc and then approve it.
Still feel like arguing on that point?

"Two accounts get banned for the same rule infraction, why are they treated differently?" This depends on any number of things. Maybe different mods banned them, and one might take an offense more seriously than the other. What if one account is a repeat offender and one made a first time mistake. Should the mods go easy on the one who's repeatedly broken the rules? What if one account takes rule breaking to the extreme while the other may just do barely enough to break it. One player might going on a swearing rant, using every swear word they know and several they made up to excess to cuss everyone out, while the other account may have dropped a single swear word into a conversation without really noticing it because that's the way they normally talk.

And lastly, transparency would help others learn what is breaking the rules? Really? I'm looking at the rule page now, and there are only two possible ways I really see someone breaking the rules.
A. They didn't read them at all.
B. They intentionally broke them.
So transparency solves nothing since it was that person's mistake in the first place. People should know the rules if they are playing the game.

DeletedUser44927

So courts should not let the public now what sentance a crimal is given?

Courts should hand out punishments and sentances behind close doors, because criminals knew what they were doing was a crime?

Transparancy shows that all sides are being treated equally and that breaking the rules isnt worth the risk because of the punishments handed out.

DeletedUser

Courts should hand out punishments and sentances behind close doors, because criminals knew what they were doing was a crime?

Transparancy shows that all sides are being treated equally and that breaking the rules isnt worth the risk because of the punishments handed out.

That is different.

MasterFire

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
The ban is discussed with the person that got banned/punished, not the people that did not get banned or punished. Asides that, woodlandapple's post (a couple of posts up) explains just about any of the remaining arguments why we do not discuss bans with those that aren't involved in getting banned/punished.

We didn't state that, we are taking the stance that WE should not show what 'sentence' a 'criminal' has been given. What the courts do has nothing to do with us.

That doesn't even come close to the process of thoughts that we go by. We're not disclosing bans and punishments with those that haven't got anything to do with that particular ban/punishment not because they knew they were breaking the rules, but because we do not wish to discuss bans and punishments with those that aren't the person in question. Not only because it will leave us with thousands of people asking questions as to why someone was banned, but also because of some privacy as well as it's just none of your damn business to be honest. If you want the word on someones ban or punishment, you are free to ask him about it in a PM or on your internal tribes forum.

I agree fully, transparency shows exactly that. However, I assure you that all bans and punishments are being done by strict policies that are as heavy as we feel they need to be for the type of rule they've broken and how much they've broken it.

:icon_idea:
:spear:
I mean it isnt a foreign idea at all, two accounts get banned for similar rule infraction, why is one treated differently.

They're not. If they would've both had the exact same situation as eachother they would've received the exact same punishment. However since this is NEVER the case, it will all go through policies as they're written and each case will receive a punishment by the same policy, that however doesn't mean it will be the same just because they broke the same rule. It can differ via the amount of rules broken, or the amount of one rule they've broken (for instance, the amounts of sent illegal attacks/defense).

A public system would solve a lot of questions/issues.
and
Would it kill some tw (staff) people to actually put forth some effort on this and save a lot of (paying) customers a headache?
The main reason bannable offenses happen is that they CAN happen. Something that is bannable shouldn't be easy to achieve within a game.

Not only would it perhaps solve a lot of questions and issues, it would also lose us a lot of players that very well could've played on without breaking rules in the future. "The main reason bannable offenses happen is that they can happen" who thought of that? I mean, the main reason people crash cars is because they can crash them? Or the main reason people drink cola is because they can drink cola? I don't think so.

If you have any more questions or arguments you want me to look at I'll happily do so in a PM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.