Mass Defence guide

Sinful Angel

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I wrote this guide for w80. I've since been sharing it on tribe forums only. Since w80 is almost done I felt it good to share. These are my thoughts on defending that I've figured out with some tricks to the trade that make it into an exact science. I don't touch on some of the more basic things such as how to stack.

This guide is to help people defend large scale ops anywhere from 50 nobles to 1k nobles. I've succesfully repelled noble ops of up to 1.5k nobles with this setup (tribe support is the main decider when your incomings get that big). It cuts down the time it takes to defend and allows you to organize your account much more efficiently.

The Real Basics
Skip if you understand the basic parts of defending.
Sniping

Download DS Timer and learn how to use it.http://niondir.de/blog/ds-timer-in-english/

Using this you can become accurate to 50 ms or less depending on how good your internet connection is.

Recapping
When you have no defense available you can use your offense as a defensive tool by sending nukes and nobles to capture a village after it is taken from you. Be careful of the enemy sending their own defense when you do this. Many players also choose to prenoble and recap. This means they will send nobles to land before to lower the loyalty and after thus killing off multiple enemy nobles. Especially useful when the enemy uses noble nukes as it kills off multiple nukes that would otherwise cost a lot of defense and is now almost free (only cost is village is now on 25 loyalty and you lose your one noble you recapped with)

The most important part to defending is organization

As long as you have reasonable activity you should be fine to defend any ops that hit you. When you get large amounts of incomings it is normal to freak out, you see 100+ nobles and figure there is no way to defend.

To defend nobles you need to be using a system of naming them so you can easily see on your incomings page what is dealt with and what is in notes.

The way I organize these is by labelling them as such

Noble SNIPED = Nobles have been sniped
Noble S = Stacked
Noble CS = Cancel Snipe this (when you snipe it rename it to noble SNIPED for clarity)
Noble X = Nobles will get through and take the village
Noble RECAP = Recap needs to be sent
Noble RECAPPED = Recap is on the way to the village
Noble NOTES = The sends to stack/snipe or recap the village or in notes
fbe11dd240c8ef829539f1f8ae46dbb0.png
This is an example of how it looks when this system is used. It's important to just deal with one village at a time and not feel overwhelmed.

Taking initiative so you don't get overwhelmed
When you see 3 or 4 trains get sent at you from 20 hours out it is very easy to think you have a lot of time to defend it. However, if this is part of a larger op then those 3 or 4 will become just a few amongst many and add to your workload later. If you can deal with them immediately, do it. On another world I once left about 10 trains because I was low on incomings, then later I had 400 nobles get sent from within 24 hours and those 10 trains suddenly became extra work to deal with in a limited amount of time with my further away villages unable to help.

Groups
There are a few groups that can cut down your time defending by a lot, this is not an exhaustive list of such groups but it is the key ones I find useful.
Snipe
This group should filter based on how desperate for troops you are and how much the enemy is splitting.
My usual setup is 600 spears and 300 hc filtering to ANY

Stack groups
Make multiple groups, filtering to spears supporting the village 10k, 20k, 30k. Each group can go up by any amount as it is used to indicate on the map how stacked villages are. This village is used in coordination with map highlights for groups so for example a village with 10250 spears would be RED to indicate it has that many troops supporting it. You can of course modify this to be any number based on what troop layout you use and how big you want to stack.

Dodge Groups
This group should filter to attacks incoming YES.
Troops in the village: any amount of any type of troop. You can either make them all in one group by using the custom filters or just make an offense dodge group, noble dodge group etc. This means whenever you send troops out it disappears from the groups as it no longer needs to be dodged.

Mobilizing troops
Sometimes when you get hit by a large wave of nobles (100+) it is very tempting to just stack. It is important that where you can, you snipe not stack. Each troops becomes far more valuable when you are under the pump and generally you cannot afford stacks. So snipe everything unless you have no other choice. If you're lazy and stack you may pay for it with a pile of villages when the enemy adds another 100 or more nobles.

Another strategy I suggest is using defense hubs to dodge to. Using the troop request screen combined with a dodge group you can dodge all local troops in the space of 5 seconds compared to 1 minute going village to village dodging. Make sure you don't need any of the local troops for snipes or stacks though!

Mobilizing offensively
In order to hold your position you will have to strike back. When the enemy is hitting you and you only defend you are using half your firepower. To truly defend effectively you must hit back. Even if this means just mass sending to the area right behind their midline it is far more effective.

You should catapault their farms down so that when they lose their nukes on you they will not be able to rebuild them. This is truly necessary when you are to be the war target for weeks or months on end. Catapaulting a farm can slow the rebuild time of a nuke by a week.

If you do not hit back then the enemy has to put no effort into their attacks and feels no pressure on themselves. As such that attacker will never feel a need to quit.

Utilizing your tribe to make defending far easier

When you're hit with a large amount of nobles you need to quickly post in your tribes support forum using the request feature on the incomings list. If you filter this to just nobles then your tribe can snipe for you.

If you have nobles that have nukes timed close before them then you will have to manually go through and request from each village. This will take about 5 minutes per 100 nobles if you ignore the nobles to each village after you request so that you can immediately see what else needs to be requested. Once you finish requesting from each village that has nukes timed then you should un ignore all the nobles for you to be able to see them again.

Make sure each player that is supporting you posts where they send troops and what they sent on the forum for you to be able to update on your own incomings list with your tags (NOBLE S, Noble SNIPED etc..). If this is done then the workload of the incomings is shared with the tribe and it becomes simple to defend any large ops.

I hope this guide helps people in defending their account more effectively.

It was written by James (Sinful Angel/Vlad the Impaler)