[Moved from best hauls] Killing all neighbors or not?

DeletedUser

In my opinion farming in actives is more beneficial, so most of my best hauls are something like this...
Haul:
holz.png
lehm.png
eisen.png
1.828 5107/5360

So you don't kill those active players in your area to make them go inactive also taking out players who could be a threat and/or farming your farms?

Murderous Mouse

So you don't kill those active players in your area to make them go inactive also taking out players who could be a threat and/or farming your farms?

Do you really want an area full with 300-700 points barbs later in the game? No. So at this stage it is better to be farming those who are inactive, that way you are not killing anyone off who could be a future noble target or a bigger farm later on. Also you are not wasting your troops needlessly, meaning your growth can be higher as you are not losing troops, therefore spending resources rebuilding those lost. Sometimes however it is worthwhile to destroy a few people, but it is pointless to kill them all.. If you were to start destroying everyone in your area then your area will end up pretty awful later on and you will only have yourself to blame.

DeletedUser

Nope, why would i want even more inactivity in my area?
Barbarians don't grow and rarely anyone farms near me.

And threats make the game more fun, sitting in the middle of a gray graveyard isn't fun.

DeletedUser

Do you really want an area full with 300-700 points barbs later in the game? No. So at this stage it is better to be farming those who are inactive, that way you are not killing anyone off who could be a future noble target or a bigger farm later on. Also you are not wasting your troops needlessly, meaning your growth can be higher as you are not losing troops, therefore spending resources rebuilding those lost. Sometimes however it is worthwhile to destroy a few people, but it is pointless to kill them all.. If you were to start destroying everyone in your area then your area will end up pretty awful later on and you will only have yourself to blame.

I didn't say kill them all. Re-read the post I replied to and then read mine again. He gave no specifics as to what he was talking about which resulted in my reply being a generality.

Also read his post above mine. There was no way for me to know how his area looked.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

You have to try and kill some of the active players near you if you are in a populated area, otherwise the farming is spread so thin you will not get anything. It's a line to walk between clearing the area and leaving some good targets for later.

Murderous Mouse

Hanis you said kill the active players. That means those who are growing. So it could be understood to me kill them all.

DeletedUser

Well, the question is not if to kill them but when to kill them. If you start rampaging the moment you come out of protection you will grow quite nice till ´~800 points but will have trouble afterwards (finding better farms and noble targets)

I tend to kill everything between 800 and 1100 points, except the biggest 3 targets. I found the defense is at a minimum and till that point most people have build almost only mines.

DeletedUser

Well, the question is not if to kill them but when to kill them. If you start rampaging the moment you come out of protection you will grow quite nice till ´~800 points but will have trouble afterwards (finding better farms and noble targets)

I tend to kill everything between 800 and 1100 points, except the biggest 3 targets. I found the defense is at a minimum and till that point most people have build almost only mines.

Sounds incredibly short-term, unless you plan to go solo or you have no tribemates at all within your area. Depends on what radius you're talking about, I guess.

DeletedUser

If you farm in such a large radius as me and a lot of other players, and you only leave three villages in such a large area, then obviously you'll be quite spread out. Later on when you have maybe an ally on one side and tribemates taking villages on your other sides then you'll have less room to expand, seeing as how you have a bunch of these inactive, low point villages in your area. Also, it'll take longer to get defense from your villages. Then your options are take the low pointed villages, or take the risky option of noble training to a less-cramped area where you'll have to fight morale with only one village in that area.

Usually depends on your location I suppose, but that's the common scenario later in the game.

DeletedUser

I always leave a couple of people around me to grow their villages so i have good villages near to noble.
So basically it's good to take the risk and leave a "threat" to grow near you so you get the chance to take his village.
That's half the meaning of the game after all! =D

DeletedUser

Well, I guess you assume that when I say I kill everything, that I turn everything (!) grey. But what I said was that I wait till the players around me reach 800-1100 points before I kill them. Quite a lot of players are way below that, but not inactive and steadily grow.

My strategy is to create a net of around 7-10 villages and then wait till those small villages reach 3000-5000 points. Even at morale 30% they can do little against a full nuke.

Yes, this does spread me out a little in the beginning, but not that far that I cannot defend myself.

DeletedUser

Well, I guess you assume that when I say I kill everything, that I turn everything (!) grey. But what I said was that I wait till the players around me reach 800-1100 points before I kill them. Quite a lot of players are way below that, but not inactive and steadily grow.

My strategy is to create a net of around 7-10 villages and then wait till those small villages reach 3000-5000 points. Even at morale 30% they can do little against a full nuke.

Yes, this does spread me out a little in the beginning, but not that far that I cannot defend myself.

Exactly what I do... I never use pa so my strategy is quite simple, I farm within a 21x21 radius and each 7x7 I generally allow 3 people to grow up until around 300 points (these are of the actives). At this point I take out one of the three players (scout and find the farmer) in each 7x7 and then let 2 grow to around 800 points before I cut it down to 1 active in each 7x7 surrounding me. The last 9 are generally noble targets for the future.

Not only does this allow for you to get rid of farmers, but it allows for good hauls over the long run. Upon the last of the original 9 players being nobled, your noble range will have spread and some of those slow growing players will have built villages up to around 3k at which point you choose what to do, let them grow more or noble them then.

DeletedUser

well looking at the ODA is also a good idea when determining which one to eliminate. someone without any ODA (thus one who has never launched any attack) can be attacked later. And the ones with an extremly high ODA can grow till 1300 points and then loose farm, market and one of their 3 mines. Thus they are in the farm lock. the villagers needed for the remaining buildings are enough to fill the first 7-10 levels of a farm and since they produce so few of one resource there is nothing they can do. Sure you loose one resource, but against such an enemy it is worth it and you still get the 2 others.

DeletedUser

Indeed, an interesting idea, i should try the farm lock technique.
Later you can lock the other active farms just by catapulting down different resource pits, so it keeps the overall farming income balanced.
Very nice.