Failed Vote Player Ratings System

Do you like this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mch123

My original idea for this was based around providing information to new players about the tribes they are joining and the people they are talking to. More recently I have extended this idea to mentors and as a way for non-premade tribes to assess unknown recruitment applicants.

As a new player, you won't know any of the community and, more often than not, you'll simply join the biggest tribe in the area - which isn't always in their best interest. My biggest issue with this is that tribe leaders are self appointed, with no history or qualification to prove they can lead. Some can point to previous worlds or their member list to prove it but I've been in enough tribes with terrible leaders to know both of those don't really give you the full picture.

Some leaders will use new players to increase member and troop counts, only to internal them later. This is of no value to helping the new player learn about the game and creates quite a negative experience of tribal wars.

As far as I'm aware, there also isn't a way for new players to accurately assess who would be a good mentor. Having a rating like this alongside the number of apprentices that graduated under the mentor is needed. Adding languages to this would also be good.

These ratings would persist from world to world.

bb2261da73f75055cd8da80a085daf27.png

Now I'm fully aware that this could be abused but I think there are some methods that could be put in place to address this:
1) Only current members or recent members can vote for the leadership and teamwork attributes.
2) Friendliness can only be voted on if players are exchanging mails.
3) Profile ratings can be hidden (but leadership or mentorship ratings still display on the relevant pages).

I believe this will help make players accountable for their actions and role in the community. I think it would create a more positive environment because players reputations are on the line. Maybe some players would now think differently about backstabbing or spying against their tribe.

There is also a concern that people would avoid new players as they have no ratings or could potentially be negative players on new accounts. I think this could be addressed by the mentoring system having something like a good apprentice rating or a mentor who can advocate for the apprentice as a form of proof that they would make a good and cooperative tribe member. I'd expect negative players who create new accounts to generally not use the mentoring system or be a poor apprentice if they did.

I also think preventing players creating new accounts to reset their negative ratings could be addressed by a different idea - tying accounts to mobile phone numbers. That's an idea for a different thread though.

This idea has stuck in my mind for many months now. I'm still not 100% sure of it's exact implementation or if it would solve some of the issues I mentioned so I'm throwing it out here to see what people think and how it could be improved.

Edit: A rating for Ally/NAP diplomatic relations, tied to the leader, would be interesting as well.

JawJaw

Awesomest CM Ever
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the idea! It has been approved for voting.

Good luck!

Sinful Angel

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
A popularity contest in game? No thanks. Give back forum rep if you want to have popularity contests so people can at least opt in.

DeletedUser120800

I think it would be too open to subjectivity, not even necessarily abused. For one, it's a game and not just a community, a lot of us don't really care if others dislike us and when it comes to leadership a lot of people will just feel emotionally hurt with a strict leader and so they may rate them down for leadership.

Also, a lot of us like to create new accounts, it's a way of bypassing paying 500pp to change your username

DeletedUser

oh jeeze. This is an horrible idea. pls no. pls pls no. Good idea in theory, but unfortunately this is the most toxic gaming community on the entire internet and it will just lead to cliques raiding their opponent's rep, like what NAM used to do on w83 when forum rep was a thing.

JawJaw

Awesomest CM Ever
Reaction score
Idea did not reach the required percentage of votes and is therefore rejected.