Poll: Linear Programming

DeletedUser

You're kidding, right? Why the heck would you use math that involves the calculation of finite dimensional vectors and matrices... especially with regards to resources, which is a trio variable... that if plotted manually can friggin take hours, and can stress most computers, and CAN'T be DONE ON A CALCULATOR, over a game where you can just use a bit of mathematical common sense to excel in?

You either don't know what you're talking about, or have way too much time on your hands.

BTW: If you designed a program that can maximize troop production [(s1)(x1) +.... (sn)(xn)], where maximization is troop profit against cost, subject to the constraint of time of travel (A), subject to the constraint of production speed (F), subject to the constraint to AN UNDEFINED BOUNDARY, WHICH IS A QUADRATIC EQUATION PER UNIT OF PROFIT v. TIME, graphed in an (xyz), where the hypothetical limits are the intersections of the graph, WHICH IS A MUCH EASIER equation complex, but no one in their right mind would WANT to do it. That's just a variable in your linear programming matrix.

If you program a code like this that can actually run on a regular computer without crashing it, I'll make you filthy rich.

Stop fronting, muhannad. Knowing the concept of how LP is intended to work and actually utilizing it is 2 different things. There is a reason why mathematical consulting firms are paid millions of dollars to solve equations like this for corporations.

Normal people try their utmost hardest not to use math that the great majority of the population never will learn in their entire lifetime, because it isn't fun to do so. It's work.

I'm glad that you learned the concept of LP in your calc 2/calc 3/ finite math class, but here is not the place to be flaunting it.

Well that was an outburst..
I'm not talking quantum physics.. There are simpler forms of linear programming than what you're talking about. Again, it's not a "program" in the sense that you are referring to. The LP I'm talking about is a simple xy coordinate LP that's just used to get the most number of troops out of the resources that you have.
Say you have 15k wood, 11k clay, and 20k iron and that you want to build spears and swords so that you get the maximum number of troops possible from these resources. LP would tell u that for the max number of troops you should build 140 spears and 265 swords and if you use simple maths here, you'll find that 2 of your resources are almost balanced, wood and iron.

DeletedUser

Another reason this thread is stupid:
Axes are the same or cheaper for every resource than spears so LP will never tell you to make axes and in an all off village early game it would tell you to make sw but they are useless in off start up and would be better to trade for wood or save until you get lc. Later on with lc and hc and cats as well the maths becomes impossible so it only works for startup where it s useless. end of thread though that should have happened earlier.
And the race card?:icon_eek:

DeletedUser

Another reason this thread is stupid:
Axes are the same or cheaper for every resource than spears so LP will never tell you to make axes and in an all off village early game it would tell you to make sw but they are useless in off start up and would be better to trade for wood or save until you get lc. Later on with lc and hc and cats as well the maths becomes impossible so it only works for startup where it s useless. end of thread though that should have happened earlier.
And the race card?:icon_eek:

linear programming only tells you the max number of troops you can get from your resources, keeping them balanced. You provide everything else like which 2 types of troops you want to create (can be done for 3 types but that requires 3d geometry).

manofhonor

Well that was an outburst..
I'm not talking quantum physics.. There are simpler forms of linear programming than what you're talking about. Again, it's not a "program" in the sense that you are referring to. The LP I'm talking about is a simple xy coordinate LP that's just used to get the most number of troops out of the resources that you have.
Say you have 15k wood, 11k clay, and 20k iron and that you want to build spears and swords so that you get the maximum number of troops possible from these resources. LP would tell u that for the max number of troops you should build 140 spears and 265 swords and if you use simple maths here, you'll find that 2 of your resources are almost balanced, wood and iron.

There is basic non-negative, vector LP, it's true. This is called a duality equation, where the objective is to find the theoretical maximum/minimum... ctx/ytb..., where x is greater than or equal to 1... but if you use that equation, which, btw, is not only still a waste of your time, it's also idiotic.

This equation solves nothing that can't be solved in 2 seconds by common sense. It doesn't take into account anything ABOUT the units, and it must be replotted EVERYTIME. Which the whole point of spending hours on an equation is so that you can program it and not do it again, which is why I bought up programming.

TW is not a very hard game to play well, but VERY hard to program an efficient code that dictates the "best" moves. If you have that kind of time, graph that for me, and send it on MathGV if you don't have pro-ware. I'd be very impressed, and very grateful.

If it's correct, meaning you can give me an (xyz), and its corresponding equation(s) which correlate the maximum efficiency (ctx) between just LC, axes, swords, and spears, their production costs, travel time, haul, att/def, under all the constraints that I listed earlier, I'll give you 10 premium points. I promise here and now.

DeletedUser

Uhm... he can get cash for 20 PP by selling idk.. shoelaces... on the street in that time.

Lethal Legend

Sometimes I try and think of something clever to reply with.

However I am just going to agree with manofhonor as it looks like he has all those linear bases covered.

Only question I have is for muhammad.
1 You are aware it is a simple game??

DeletedUser

Only question I have is for muhammad.
1 You are aware it is a simple game??

First of all, it's muhaNNad. And second, well, the LP I'm using isn't much complicated. It just takes 2 minutes to graph 3 functions and find an intersection on a graphing program.
And this thread was meant to be a poll only, nothing more

DeletedUser

There isn't much of a point. If you are an active player you will always have units building. even if its not perfectly balanced it won't matter, by the time your units finish you will have added more. You always have units queued except the rare occasion where your farm hasn't finished building yet. I just don't see the point other than to satisfy your obsessive compulsive disorder in having all your resources the same.