Practical thoughts to inspire change & an open letter to the Product Manager

mch123

If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading my last post here as context for this one.

Ok, so maybe my last post was a little too idealistic and not practical enough to inspire people that change was possible. It was a good starting point for laying out the groundwork of why TW is a good game, why we play and why there is a lot of potential in the community.

In this post I hope to tackle the following issues:
  • Developing honest and transparent communication from the decision makers at Innogames in order to build relations and restore trust between the developer and it's community.
  • More detailed ideas on branding, player retention and influencing community culture.
  • Creating a mailing list/petition of people who want to see or help drive change.
  • A few more specific ideas and changes to game elements and features.
Honest and transparent communication
I want to hear an honest and transparent response from the decision maker for all Tribal Wars related issues – which I'm guessing is the product manager, Thomas Raimbault, and someone whom we only see 3 times a year when they are trying to promote a new feature.

I get it - we have community managers to voice our opinions and concerns to the company. They are great when all things are working as they should. However, when that's not the case, they are used to do exactly what the title states – manage. It implies that their job is to diffuse issues between what the community wants and what the company wants.

The problem is we have no way of knowing whether our voices are being carried effectively into company or team meetings. I don't trust that we are being taken seriously or that our concerns are being put forward passionately enough to inspire the change that we are demanding. That's why I want a response from someone else.

Assuming we can get a response from Thomas, or a decision maker within the company, there are naturally going to be some issues regarding trust and transparency. If Innogames is all about profits, he won't be able to say anything that kills hope for change as we would all just give up on the company – hurting their profits.

Furthermore, I can see a scenario where the product manager's job is based purely around hitting profit targets and therefore he won't put his job at risk to address the real issues. Completely understandable of course but, again, it doesn't further our cause of getting change.

He also can't afford to say nothing as this only reaffirms what I have stated above and by extension, kills hope in the community and impacts company profits.

Failure to make changes now is just plain ignorant because you are going to lose out on profits in all scenarios. Failure to address the community shows a lack of awareness, care and competence. Maybe you simply don't know how to solve it and execute all the ideas at once – which is understandable as it's a highly complex problem. You could at least tell us that so that we can work with you, trust you and respect you more for taking it seriously.

The reason I'm stating this and positioning the arguments in this manner is to get to the root problem that undermines the conversation for all other changes. We can't talk about specifics until we figure out the boundaries and limitations of what is possible and we can only do that by having an open and honest conversation with the decision makers.

By defining Innogames potential options and giving them little room for excuses, it clarifies what issues are most important for us to focus on as a community. Do we need to focus on solving the financial issues before game fairness and balance issues? Or do we start to focus on alternative solutions if change is not possible?

Developing communication and trust further
I expect the product manager role is a busy one so I don't expect a lot of community conversation going forward. However something simple as posting once a month would be sufficient.

We need to know what issues you are currently tackling, that you are aware of what's happening in the community and that you are paying attention. You don't need to agree to anything or make promises with us. You just need to be present, genuine and honest enough that we can see, trust and communicate with you.

Community managers can handle the majority of tasks but at least once a month we need to hear from the decision maker directly. Maybe even the programmers.

Like I said about leadership in my previous essay, it's about understanding who you are dealing with, building relations and making sure we are all aligned towards the same common goals and interests.

Fix the problem at this level and everything else will naturally start to fall into place.

Community Culture
If you really wanted to go the extra mile to build relations with the community, I have 2 suggestions that are relative cheap to execute and would serve to inspire the community to fund the game.

First - there are many common themes that run through the community that keep us together and playing the game. Many are pain points in our real lives.

By understanding this, it offers you, as an individual and as a company, an opportunity to fulfill 3 purposes in 1 act of philanthropy:
  1. Show you care about the community by hosting (there's a more appropriate word for this but you get the point) a charitable event in support of issues that are important to your users.
  2. Build trust and respect by listening and interacting with us in an open and honest manner on sensitive issues.
  3. Promote the Tribal Wars and Innogames brands by doing something positive for others.
In return, you have a passionate fan base that feels valued by the company and won't mind spending, or even donating, to help keep the game alive.

Second – Player Appreciation.

There are many ways to achieve this but there is one idea I really like - especially if it is combined with some of the alternate income generation methods I mentioned in my last essay.

How about randomly sending merchandise to long serving players, or for birthdays, or for those who go above and beyond in the community. It helps to build brand and word of mouth when members tell their friends of the random surprise they got from Tribal Wars and Innogames.

You don't have to do it for everyone but just the act of allocating small amounts of resources will return 10-fold when people start talking about the company in a positive light. It makes players stick around longer and spend more money because they feel more valued.

Your current automated methods (such as sending a happy birthday mail or 100pp for each year of playing the game) achieve nothing. If anything they work negatively against you because they are impersonal and cheap tactics to create the illusion of player appreciation. Players see right through it.

Player Retention
Tribal Wars is fundamentally a good game. However there are many feature that are missing or hurt player retention. If you ever want to scale the game to a size that can generate substantial income from alternate income methods, you are going to need to address these issues.

First – I've already mentioned in the previous essay about issues regarding the education of new players. In order for them to stick around, they've got to have some direction to materials that give them hope that they can learn to be competitive. You could potentially incentivise players to contribute and put in place a rating or upvoting system to separate the good from bad content.

Second - They could also use a little push to get socially active and reap the benefits of contributing to the community.

At least promote the aspects of teamwork, friendship, and a sense of belonging/community within the game a little better. This is the most valuable part of your product, from my perspective, and you do nothing to promote it.

Third – Negativity in the community is the next biggest killer. I hope a lot of the changes I mentioned above would naturally bring about a lot of optimism and positivity. You could double down on this with some conscious effort to drive out and disincentivize negativity.

Even simple things like conversation starters in the forum around topics such as "congratulating the enemy in defeat" and likening it to shaking hands at the end of a football match or other sports events.

It's idealistic but it's about building a culture of respect and positivity.

Fourth – make the game as close to a fair playing field as possible.

This is the theme for all my posts. It doesn't need to be completely fair. Game elements such as flags are unfair on new players but at least resemble something akin to hard work, consistency achievement within the game. All attainable by new players.

Even flags could be balanced with a time weighted cooldown penalty based on the tier. More powerful flags that only long serving members have would have longer cooldowns making them less flexible than the lower tier flags available to new players.

You need to go over every aspect of the game like this and find the places where new players are going to feel unfairly disadvantaged. Not to do so risks them leaving the game for good.

Fifth – Cheating.

I know this one is hard to deal with but it's a big cause of frustration for a lot of players. I'd like to see Tribal Wars take an approach used by Dota 2 and tie accounts to a mobile number. It makes it tougher for players to multi-account and generally cheat. It may also make co-playing tougher (with the right implementation) which would close the gap between recreational players and those accounts which are active 24 hours a day.

Join the movement
My last post didn't really get the reaction I was looking for. As I stated at the start of this post, it was maybe too idealistic and too long for most people. However I did get some direct replies supporting my effort and giving some feedback.

For this post, I have tried to keep it far more practical in dealing with issues and with my following call to action:

If change is something you want to see, I ask that, as a minimum, you message me directly with the best method of contacting you (Email, Skype, Discord or in-game username). That way I can put together a mailing list or petition. It can serve as a faster method of getting action than waiting for people to see, read and respond to longer form posts such as this.

As I've said before, if Innogames is unwilling to change, then we still have other options to solving these problems. Either way I'm going to need your support.

Closing thoughts
This post has more of an 'open letter' format to the Tribal Wars product manager. I'm posting like this because I want to show the community that we have the power in this relationship. We can put Innogames on the spot and direct them towards making changes with smart conversation and ideas.

Eventually I want to go directly to Innogames (if they don't come to us). Before I can do that, I need to get the community passionate, inspired and on board with this movement. I also need to flesh out some of my ideas, test them and get feedback.

I also need to hear issues of other players that I may have overlooked. One example that has come up is the lack of faith in moderators and admins – something I would like to address at another time.

In terms of this post, I've presented my concerns and could potentially be completely wrong in regards to what goes on behind the scenes at Innogames. However, by positioning our arguments this way, we don't give the opportunity for the company to disguise their intentions or for the community to doubt them if they try to respond transparently. It builds trust on all levels and then we can start working in the same direction to solve other issues.

In all outcomes from this post, we will have a clearer idea of where to go next in our effort to create a fairer and more enjoyable game experience.

Martyn

JawJaw

Awesomest CM Ever
Reaction score
Hi

Thank you for your very extensive message / note / letter.

First of all I want to make clear that there will not be a reaction from the Product Manager. Please note that we have several markets to manage and the product manager is busy enough with simply trying to manage the development processes, reviewing analytics, planning the development phases of each week and review feedback bundled by the community managers. This is exactly why each market has one or more (in our case 3) (co-)community managers.

These Community Managers are the voice of InnoGames on the local markets, but also the ears of InnoGames. We are constantly looking for feedback on our forums and support tickets and we bundle and forward that feedback on a daily basis to our product management and development teams directly.
An open an honest communication is certainly what we try to achieve. Only very recently a few changes to our suggestions forum ( https://forum.tribalwars.net/index.php?forums/ideas-improvements.504/ ) have been made to make the process more transparant. As I outlined in a few of my previous posts, our current community management team, under my lead, takes player feedback and concerns very seriously and we will make sure it gets dealt with in an appropriate manner.

As for you five points, please note that InnoGames is continiously working on improving the game for everyone and keep players on the game once they are here. Exactly for this purpose the casual system has been introduced, the beginner protection - attack ratios have been implemented and the mentoring system was created. By adding new features such as the runes endgame system we are also aiming at making the game exciting again for the players that have been with us for years and give them something new and challenging to play. We will continue to do so in future updates and will be adding new features and improvements of existing features to the game.

To continue, we are constantly looking for suggestions from the community on how we can improve the current existing systems or implement new ones. This can also include an idea to educate or mentor new players. Being a player yourself puts you in the best position to determine what is currently missing or done incorrectly in the current way of working, and to provide us feedback on that matter.

All this is one of the reasons why I am not entirely sure what you try to achieve with this post. Only last week we have made an update to our forum structure to make the sending in of ideas more transparant and simply easier to do, I think you may have missed the forum post about that?
Right now it is possible for everyone to create an idea, have the community vote for it and if it makes the vote it will get sent to the developers for further review. This basically already includes all the points you mentioned:
- Players being able to send in feedback, discuss it and it getting listened to
- More transparancy about their feedback and suggestions
- Being updated by InnoGames about their suggestions or feedback.

As a result, you are, as a player, able to address each of your five points in a very own suggestion, have the community vote for it (the "petition" you mentioned?) and it being sent to InnoGames if it meets the requirements outlined in the rules topic.

Your Community Manager,
JawJaw

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
First of all I want to make clear that there will not be a reaction from the Product Manager.

That you seem to know this, as opposed to merely responding that the PM is unlikely to respond makes me sad.

Typhi used to be the PM. He did respond to forum posts on occasion, he would also message me (and perhaps others) on skype and ask what I thought about new additions to the game because he knew that player input was important. I appreciated and respected him more for it, because it showed that he cared. Higher ups should interact with the community in such a manner, they shouldn't appear to be robotic overseers.

As an example, Grinding Gear Games develops Path of Exile, a very popular free to play ARPG game similar to Diablo. Its CEO, Chris Wilson, regularly does AMAs on reddit, and lets players interview him on twitch streams, etc. He interacts with the community on a regular basis and is as such massively respected by the community.

I've played TW for over a decade, been staff on two versions of TW, and been rank 1 on more worlds than anyone else, ie. very familiar with the game, and I've never seen any forum post, video, interview, etc. from either Klindworth brother. They're not part of their games communities, and IMO they should be.

It's a complete failure of the companies views on players. A friend of mine now works as a TW developer, when he was hired he was asked to no longer communicate with players. It's complete bullshit. The companies policy is to treat players like they're morons unfit to communicate with who can't possibly have anything to say that's worth listening to.

Last edited:

mch123

All this is one of the reasons why I am not entirely sure what you try to achieve with this post. Only last week we have made an update to our forum structure to make the sending in of ideas more transparant and simply easier to do, I think you may have missed the forum post about that?
While I appreciate that the timing of my posts is a little weird given the recent changes in community managers and the additional new system for ideas, my purpose for these posts is to start at the top and give context to future posts I want to write on a lot of the issues that frustrate players.

We've all heard the 'money drives the game - things will never change' type debates over and over. I'm trying to dig a little deeper and make it crystal clear that the model has to change. Not only that, I'm trying to give hope back to the community by giving practical things we, as players, can do and a vision of what the game could potentially look like if we do fix the issues.

There is little point me diving in and creating loads of educational content and helping new players have enjoyable experiences if I believe my efforts are being undermined by broken game features. When a new player asks how someone has such a huge advantage and what the counter-strategy is and my answer is "They spent a lot of money, there isn't a strategy - try again on the next world next month", do you really think the new player will wait and try again?

It's absurd that you could just read my posts and sidestep the key issue. Yes I didn't address it directly in my last 2 posts but surely everyone knows that's where I am headed with this endeavor.

First of all I want to make clear that there will not be a reaction from the Product Manager. Please note that we have several markets to manage and the product manager is busy enough with simply trying to manage the development processes, reviewing analytics, planning the development phases of each week and review feedback bundled by the community managers. This is exactly why each market has one or more (in our case 3) (co-)community managers.
I fully understand how busy he is. You don't fully understand what that says to a community - that the decision maker doesn't have the time or cares enough to take 30 minutes a month to write a little post keeping us all in the loop and that issues that are of greatest concern to us are actually reaching him...

Blows my mind how you can be the chief community manager and not understand this.

I'd also just like to say that I respect the effort you, previous community managers, moderators and admins do put in.

I just have my doubts that you are protecting company interests and maybe don't even see the full extent of how important this game and community is to a lot of players. Also how the ever deteriorating state of the game is eroding at the things long serving player are trying to get out of being here.

With every passing week I see more and more friends and teammates just quitting the game because trying to compete under the current game state is becoming more and more time consuming and stressful.

Exactly for this purpose the casual system has been introduced, the beginner protection - attack ratios have been implemented and the mentoring system was created. By adding new features such as the runes endgame system we are also aiming at making the game exciting again for the players that have been with us for years and give them something new and challenging to play. We will continue to do so in future updates and will be adding new features and improvements of existing features to the game.
A lot of players want to compete - not have some passive casual world just so they can "continue playing".

Beginner protection and attack ratios are counter-measures to a problem that shouldn't actually exist - being able to pay to gain unfair advantages.

Ask the developers to see how many players actually sign up as a mentor, how many new players sign up as an apprentice, how many graduate, and how many quit the game and never return. I'm not making any point here. I would just like to know the numbers so we can have a conversation about it.

Personally, there is no incentive to being a mentor, let alone providing good information to apprentices. I'm sure the numbers will back that up.

Existing players don't want new features either. The game is good enough to retain players purely on the grounds of competition. New features, when not further breaking the game (*cough* watchtowers *cough*), are nice and do freshen it up a little. Just don't confuse that with being the main reason why players stick around. Neither does changing the win condition.

On a side note, there is so much wrong with your reply it took me 3 attempts to address it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
A lot of players want to compete - not have some passive casual world just so they can "continue playing".

Beginner protection and attack ratios are counter-measures to a problem that shouldn't actually exist - being able to pay to gain unfair advantages.

Eh, players can still compete. They don't even need to buy premium, they do need to use premium, but that doesn't mean they need to pay for it. You can play one world and sell res you farm on it to fund your next world, it's what many players currently do.

Being able to pay to obtain an unfair advantage is what it is. The purpose of such features is to maximize profits. I don't think they're necessarily necessary though. Path Of Exile, League of Legends, DOTA 2, etc. are all free to play, and not pay to win, and very profitable. I know TW's playerbase is far smaller than any of those games, but I'm not sure how its profits compare as one big spender on a pay-to-win game can often spend more than thousands of other players combined.

Personally, there is no incentive to being a mentor, let alone providing good information to apprentices.

The incentive is making the game have more players and raising the competition level. The problem isn't a lack of incentive, the problem is most mentors don't actually know shit about the game. Reaching five villages once does not make you fit to teach others. I've used alias accounts many times since the feature was added, selected a mentor, and then taught my "mentor" basic things anyone allowed to be a mentor should have already known.

Existing players don't want new features either. The game is good enough to retain players purely on the grounds of competition. New features, when not further breaking the game (*cough* watchtowers *cough*), are nice and do freshen it up a little. Just don't confuse that with being the main reason why players stick around. Neither does changing the win condition.

I definitely like new features. Watchtower were also an amazing addition to the game. I'm for any change that limits the effectiveness of fakes. The idea that you can know someone is attacking you, but know nothing about the contents of said attack is ludicrous. It's completely unrealistic and makes defending require far too much activity.

Last edited:

mch123

Eh, players can still compete. They don't even need to buy premium, they do need to use premium, but that doesn't mean they need to pay for it. You can play one world and sell res you farm on it to fund your next world, it's what many players currently do.
A new player won't commit 2 months to save up before playing seriously... that's the issue with your theory. Heck most people who know about it can't remain disciplined and do it. They come for entertainment and escapism now, not 2 months of sacrifice and grind.

The incentive is making the game ave more players and raising the competition level.
Again, why bother building it for a company who, at least seems to be, for profit, doesn't care about the players and has a completely broken game feature? It undermines that incentive.

Watchtower were also an amazing addition to the game.
It takes away all the suspense out of the game. There used to be a time you was never sure if you had made the right defensive strategy until the attack landed and you viewed the report. Watchtowers just create mid to end game stalemates because both sides of a war see everything coming so far in advance.

Sure it's great early game for keeping new players alive and active but it becomes so frustrating to just sit there nuking stacked villa after stacked villa, day after day in the ultimate war of attrition.

Watchtowers are at least even for all players and great for the lazy/those lacking time among us.

foolproof32

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
From my experience (not very much,just a few years on and off), I haven't come across too many new players in the past 1 or 2 years. Probably because there has been 0 advertising in the past few years. At one point of time TW advertisements could be found on almost any page of the internet, some even claiming to have seen them of porn websites and joining the game as a result.
The game now has become so small that everyone knows everyone else,how they work, the strategies employed etc. For a new player, it would just be like going to a party where you know no one. After the whole w100 debacle where the next world which is usually announced after atleast three months got announced a couple of days later shows that Innogames has decided to monetize this rapidly diminishing game as much as possible before it closes down eventually.
In my opinion, it's just too late to resurrect this game by the players. Only if there's an influx of newer players, any of your advice will hold good. This is just my opinion. :)