Protip: How to get that 17.58 units of Wood Advantage over your Neighbour

BreadedMayhem

Apologies in advance for spoiling anyone's secret strat!

If you're at 25 Wood/ 26 Clay with pits (definitely not indicative of my current build...) it's better to go for that lvl 11 HQ before 26 Wood.

Why?
At HQ 11 your build times drop to ~95% of the previous time which means you reduce lvl 26 Wood build time by 23 mins 38s.
Producing that 908 extra clay needed for HQ 11 would only delay lvl 26 Wood by 20 mins 46s.
So you would ultimately gain 2 mins 52 s at a 368 prod higher rate = 17.58 units of wood

And they told me maths wouldn't be useful irl

(debatable whether TW is RL or not)

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Math is definitely useful IRL. You might not use much actual high level math, but the real skill learned in math courses is critical thinking not memorization of formulas and theorems.

Pick any logical pursuit, now ask math majors and liberal arts majors to compete in it. Spoiler: The math majors are going to perform better on average.

I disagree with your assessment though. HQ levels cost wood, clay, and iron, the costs for all of them matter. Good market usage can make all resources largely be equivalent in value.

BreadedMayhem

Ah being a little facetious about maths haha. Was just the typical thing you'd hear from other kids who clearly just jealous of the nerds back in the day.

This may seem like a joke (and still is) but I believe that level 26 pits is the threshold at which having level 11 HQ is the most efficient. I know it sounds counter intuitive to spend 908/908/706 for one level of HQ but bear with me.

I have already proved that the transition from 25/26 pits to 26/26 pits is achieved the quickest when you have HQ 11 (despite the delay in initiating the construction of level 26 clay due to the cost of the HQ level).

Lets keep going with this build and compare.
Consider going from 26/26 pits to 26/27 pits

Senario 1: HQ11
Construction time at HQ11: 9.0828 hrs
Cost of the resources: 32,495 + 908 = 33403
Time to achieve required resource: 33403 / 2623 = 12.7347 hrs

Senario 2: HQ10
Construction time at HQ10: 9.5526 hrs
Cost of the resources (rate limiting factor): 32,495 wood
Time to achieve required resource: 12.3885 hrs

Difference in construction times = -0.4698 hrs
Difference in time to achieve required resources = 0.3462 hrs
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time difference between the two builds: -0.1236 hrs

Building HQ11 shows that it will achieve 26/27 first, therefore a higher rate of production of resources first, and therefore a higher total resource count (buildings + troops+ resources at hand).

This continues on until whenever you feel hit the optimized level of pit levels.
You ultimately regain this apparent 908/908/706 cost when you have to build your HQ to 20.

DeletedUser116787

I disagree with your assessment though. HQ levels cost wood, clay, and iron, the costs for all of them matter. Good market usage can make all resources largely be equivalent in value.

Even if you assume all resources are equivalent in value hes still right on the principle (as was widely known in w56).

When it takes less time to generate the resources for the HQ level than the amount of time the HQ level reduces from the next mine level it becomes efficient to raise the HQ level first.

Consider the scenario, two people, one does this HQ strat one does not. The first one will finish their mine level earlier.
"But aha! the second one will have more resources at this stage due to not buying a HQ upgrade!"

Well, but now consider what they should do next. Because of the way mines scale it is *still* the case, that they will get their next mine level done earlier if they first queue the HQ level that player 1 did before the preceding mine level. Indeed before every remaining mine upgrade the mine would be done earlier if the HQ level was done first.

Given all that the player who built the HQ upgrade at the start (when it first became efficient to do so) is clearly just ahead.

Worth noting this doesn't work like that if the queue is already constant, as the mine will actually finish later because of having the hq in queue for most hq levels, but if your queue is going constantly then raising hq is already a reasonable idea.

Oh, also, *cough* PP *cough*.

DeletedUser84793

i feel like im back at school..and i hated my math teacher!..lol

DeletedUser85711

Protip: If your HQ is only 11 at 26 pits it's probably too low.... For the love of god, use the market and you'll prob have constant queue. It's a chore to do it, though.

Dethgripp

A mine and a HQ head towards each other going 60 MPH.....crap that's not how this works :confused:

DeletedUser116787

Math is definitely useful IRL. You might not use much actual high level math, but the real skill learned in math courses is critical thinking not memorization of formulas and theorems.

Pick any logical pursuit, now ask math majors and liberal arts majors to compete in it. Spoiler: The math majors are going to perform better on average.

In case your math brain wasnt able to comprehend my lovely post above...

YOU OWE ME A LOT OF PREMIUM

Hektik

Forum Personality 2019
Reaction score
I already have a wood advantage over all my neighbours though

UPNLxZY.gif