question???

DeletedUser

The best defense you can get is 1:1 sword-archer ratio. It's not really fast to build, but the strongest mixed one to build. And yes, of course, its weak spot would be MA, but who in heaven's name would build an entire MA army? Does anyone have the time to wait for that? Does anyone even have that much wood for them? I don't think so. Anyone interested in building a full MA army will not be finished within a month. And an full MA army isn't that much powerfull against the archer/sword defense. You might as well just build a full LC army, that would be simular but cheaper. And still, not very likely to encounter it.

NOTE : the best defense here does not take buildingtime into account!!!

I mean no offense, but clearly you haven't played much archer worlds
So here you go
A simulation I conducted on the simulator(luck is set to 0)
defense = 11500 archers, and a level 20 wall
offense = 1000 Ma
result= all archers dead, 1 MA left

DeletedUser9021

It also depends a lot on the fashion within a world. For example, w6 saw a lot of swords-archers defense from August 2007 and onwards. It has caused people to either build nukes with 4-6k axes and LC (3k and up), or to use 1k MA in their nukes. Some people also build special axe-MA nukes just to be able to really hurt those archers. Now, people are responding to the heavy LC nukes, and building more spears and archers. Adapting to your foe plays a big role in this, obviously.

Building time is often a crucial factor. Sword-archer defense is the slowest defense to preoduce. It is therefore best built under very stable circumstances (ie you are not at war). If you're looking for speed, spears and HC make a decent defense, it works out well with the resources, and it's fast as hell, both to build and to use to support.

DeletedUser

how about HC spears and sword? is it allright? or the population will be shortened?

DeletedUser

Building time is often a crucial factor. Sword-archer defense is the slowest defense to preoduce. It is therefore best built under very stable circumstances (ie you are not at war). If you're looking for speed, spears and HC make a decent defense, it works out well with the resources, and it's fast as hell, both to build and to use to support.
I'd recommend a sw/sp/archer defense if you'd like to build the best
Since I've seen many people build different nukes to deal with different defenses
So a mixed one should hold out the best

If the attacker has no Ma's then a sw/archer defense would probably be the ultimate defense
But i'd still recommend some sp's for the lc's

Again as you said, It depends on the attacker

Anyway I heard this somewhere and its been pretty useful for me - "The best defense, is a good offense"

DeletedUser9021

how about HC spears and sword? is it allright? or the population will be shortened?

it's about the worst possible defense you can make, aside from a pure archer defense (eh maxtortree? :lol:). It's slow to use as support (since swords have a slow unit speed), it's helpless against LC and HC attacks, and to build it you'll need enormous amounts of iron.

DeletedUser

God I hate Archers and Mounted Archers. They complicate things so much. I just stick mostly with Swords and Spears with a few Archers thrown in for good measure.
I make dedicated HC villages (villages packed full of just HC).

DeletedUser

so SP/SW/HC are not good?

No, :swordsman:/:heavycavalry: are redundant. Either go one way or the other.
Swords - Pros are faster to build & less resources. Cons use the same building as Spears so actually longer total build time for traditional 10K :spear:/:swordsman:.

Heavy Calvary - Pros are faster speed & better defense. Uses the stables so a shorter total build time for :spear:/:archer:/:heavycavalry: build. Cons uses much more :iron:

DeletedUser

So here you go
offense = 1000 Ma

No offense, but English is clearly not your native language. Cause if you actually read my post, you would've noticed it said "1:1 archer-sword ratio".

Simulation : morale 100%, 0% luck

11000 archers, 11000 swords, lvl 20 wall
4400 MA
Result = all MA dead, 4209 swords and 4209 archers dead.

Last edited by a moderator:

robj

No offense, but English is clearly not your native language. Cause if you actually read my post, you would've noticed it said "1:1 archer-sword ratio".

4400 MA

The point is 50% archer and 50% swords is not the ultimate defense. It has one of the highest total defensive ratings, but it's heavily stacked against infantry and much weaker against cavalry and archers.

There is NO ultimate defense. It's all a trade off between total defensive rating, balanced defensive rating against different attack types and how long it takes to build.

That being said, I'd suggest something more balanced than 50% sword 50% archer. Mix in some spears to up your cavalry defense and reduce archers more than swords so you get more archer defense. Something like 40% swords, 30% archers 30% spears or 50% swords 20% archers and 30% spears. Spears are also faster!

Or replace swords with HC if you are in a hurry.

EDIT: Somehow I typed archers and spears in the first sentence ... that was not what I meant, so I changed it.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

4400 MA
I don't think you understood my point
My point was that archers get killed against Ma
And not that im gonna make a massive Ma army and attack everyone with it
I don't believe that I said ^^ that in any of my posts
I said that Ma kills archers easily
That doesn't mean "just build MA and forget everything else"

balubhai

I hate archers, but they can be effective to an extent. If someone uses a lot of MA in there nuke, archers are good. Most people don't so swords + spears is a good defense. Or at least that is what I have seen in previous worlds.

plz correct that. MA are the counters for archers and not archers are the counter for MA.

A good amount of archers protects u from normal nukes as it requires Mounted archers to kill Archers successfully.That is y the production cost is also high

Last edited:

balubhai

So here you go
offense = 1000 Ma

consider the production cost too mate

DeletedUser

Lone Wolf said:
The best defense you can get is 1:1 sword-archer ratio. It's not really fast to build, but the strongest mixed one to build. And yes, of course, its weak spot would be MA, but who in heaven's name would build an entire MA army? Does anyone have the time to wait for that? Does anyone even have that much wood for them? I don't think so. Anyone interested in building a full MA army will not be finished within a month. And an full MA army isn't that much powerfull against the archer/sword defense. You might as well just build a full LC army, that would be simular but cheaper. And still, not very likely to encounter it.

You read paulgoh's guide? Well through experience I learned that not 1:1 sw-ar is the best but rather a 2-3k sp 10k sw 8-9k ar. Eventhough his guide was the best explanation for troop ratio's I've ever seen, Paulgoh only used a couple ratio's for his guide, it was merely to show you how to calculate your ratios.

@Viper333, MA's are really good against archers. Offcourse they are thats what they're made for. But so are LC against swords and axes against spears. Archers are a better but also more expensive substitute for spears. They are 90% the same as spears. Spears also suck against MA's, so why not use a couple extra swords for that MA defense and then replace the spears by archers? You get a much better defense with archers then you can ever have with spears.

PS: I'm from w6, it was one of the earlier worlds with archers so alot of ppl were used to the old system and I found out most ppl don't use enough MA, and alot of ppl didn't use any MA at all. Don't know about the new worlds though if alot of players still don't use MA.

DeletedUser

Just so you know:
offense = 1000 Ma

That may be true, but your reasoning is wrong, no player that knows a thing about this game will have a village with only archers, and if there are also swords in the village the MA doesn't kill nearly so much archers even if there are LC and/or axes and rams aswell in the nuke.
A good defense with mostly swords/archers is in overall best against every type of nuke.

Does anyone here still have or knows where to find paulgoh's guide?

DeletedUser

That may be true, but your reasoning is wrong, no player that knows a thing about this game will have a village with only archers, and if there are also swords in the village the MA doesn't kill nearly so much archers even if there are LC and/or axes and rams aswell in the nuke.
A good defense with mostly swords/archers is in overall best against every type of nuke.
Again, I dont remember posting anywhere that only build archers as defense or whatever
My point was that archers get killed really easily against MA
So now can you all please stop assuming stuff like - just build an archer defense, just build a MA offense

warham said:
@Viper333, MA's are really good against archers. Offcourse they are thats what they're made for. But so are LC against swords and axes against spears.
I think I already made this point clear in a previous post

warham said:
Well through experience I learned that not 1:1 sw-ar is the best but rather a 2-3k sp 10k sw 8-9k ar.
Again, another point I made clear and I was arguing against until you guys started assuming stuff

DeletedUser

I don't think you understood my point
My point was that archers get killed against Ma
And not that im gonna make a massive Ma army and attack everyone with it
I don't believe that I said ^^ that in any of my posts
I said that Ma kills archers easily
That doesn't mean "just build MA and forget everything else"

Of course MA kill archers. But why would you simulate 11000 archers without the company of 11000 swords to try and prove the 1:1 sword-archer ratio is useless? If you were only trying to show MA killing archers, then you didn't even have to reffer to my post...

DeletedUser

Of course MA kill archers. But why would you simulate 11000 archers without the company of 11000 swords to try and prove the 1:1 sword-archer ratio is useless? If you were only trying to show MA killing archers, then you didn't even have to reffer to my post...
Well I didn't add an offensive army to it either
I just added 1000 MA which is definitely not a full nuke, and 11500 archers
I wasn't trying to prove anything except the fact that MA's are good at killing archers
I never said that just build MA's or whatever