Shark Week!

• Thread starter silverflyingwolf12
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Again I will report
Because those posts you reported are really offensive/off topic/annoying right? :icon_rolleyes:

I watched the top 10 shark attack videos on discovery channel's website on Sunday.
Then when I went to the beach on Monday I was scared to go in the water at first. :icon_redface:

DeletedUser

Impressive ^^

Here is mine on whale sharks

Besides its size, the whale shark is also named for its feeding habits. Despite having teeth, the whale shark does not rely on its teeth to feed. Instead, it is a suction filter feeder - it sucks in a huge volume of water and plankton. The water is strained through spongy tissues supported by cartilaginous rods between the whale shark's gill arches. The plankton, trapped in the gill rakers, is then swallowed. Sometimes larger fishes - such as mackerels, anchovies, and tunas - are sucked in as well. A whale shark can filter 1.5 million liters (400,000 gallons) of water an hour when feeding.

Because those posts you reported are really offensive/off topic/annoying right? :icon_rolleyes:

I watched the top 10 shark attack videos on discovery channel's website on Sunday.
Then when I went to the beach on Monday I was scared to go in the water at first. :icon_redface:

Off Topic. Beside I'd rather not get the mod mad. And that isn't a surprise as some people were actually afraid of water because of the movie Jaws which in fact gives a false representation of the great white. Most attacks on humans are accidents unless by certain sharks like the mako or tiger. Great Whites are actually afraid of humans.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I got a question about sharks... Do they digest the water for purposes like humans do?

DeletedUser

I have googled megalodon. Now I shall never into the deep ocean.

DeletedUser

I have googled megalodon. Now I shall never into the deep ocean.
You realize that said shark is considered extinct right? If for a fact it still exist our only worries is getting in it's way. Beside if such a amazing creature still was alive I think it would be the discovery of a lifetime ^^ Though lucky for us let us hope it doesn't exist still even if the idea would be amazing.

Shark week is the best!
Agreed ^^

The biggest great white shark on record was 23 feet (7 m) long.
- The great white shark has 3,000 teeth at any one time. A white shark may grow and use over 20,000 teeth in its lifetime.
- Most great white attacks are not fatal.
- White sharks cannot swim backwards but they can jump out of the water.
- No one knows the life span of the great white shark.
- Great whites do not chew their food.
- Although it is not the largest shark, the great white is the largest predatory shark.

Some fun facts about Great Whites ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

bugcommander

Shark week is awesome the first few times few. However by now most of the shows are repeats. Still is pretty good though

DeletedUser74702

Probably will if i get around to it.

But mythbusters is the best around shark week.

DeletedUser

My fav part so far is the free cam show in the Altantic Aquiram I got to see the whale sharks get feed plus they awnsered my questions ^^

DeletedUser

As sensational as shark attacks are in newspaper headlines, the reality is that you're more likely to be bitten by another person than a shark. (Count down the 5 most dangerous sharks.)

95. While many people fear sharks and think of them as one of the world's most aggressive and deadly animals, the chances of dying from a shark attack fall well below the chances of being killed by hornets, wasps, bees or dogs. (Count down the 5 biggest shark myths.)

94. A few of the known shark species will drown if they stop moving. Great white, mako and salmon sharks don't have the muscles they need to pump water through their mouth and over their gills. As long as they keep swimming, water keeps moving over their gills, keeping them alive.

DeletedUser71572

Hmm good question. i know their gills filter water but not sure if they use it like humans. Can anyone provide a awnser though I'll look around myself.

http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/topics/p_sharks_in_fresh.htm

From what I know from A level biology, shark is a fish of course. And from what I know about fishes, they do not use the water in the same way as humans. Instead they have a brilliant system in their gills to extract the oxygen from the water and use it as respiration purposes.

Of course, both fish and mammals (humans, as that's what we're talking about) respire, as I have said, but both use water for different purposes.

Humans need it to carry nutrients and waste in the body, to lubricate joints, digestive tract and body tissues and to cool the body, especially during periods of physical activity. Whereas fish use it to, quite simply, breathe.

DeletedUser

From what I know from A level biology, shark is a fish of course. And from what I know about fishes, they do not use the water in the same way as humans. Instead they have a brilliant system in their gills to extract the oxygen from the water and use it as respiration purposes.

Of course, both fish and mammals (humans, as that's what we're talking about) respire, as I have said, but both use water for different purposes.

Humans need it to carry nutrients and waste in the body, to lubricate joints, digestive tract and body tissues and to cool the body, especially during periods of physical activity. Whereas fish use it to, quite simply, breathe.

Thus we have our awnser ^^ Thank you ^^