Swearing? Does that offend you?

DeletedUser

I think that using bad language is often down to a lack of imagination in choosing the phrases that a person uses. Using bad language does not bother me, however the use of bad language just to try and impress people is just down to ignorance. There is no doubt that when you mix any group from various cultures and social backgrounds you can almost guarantee that someone will take umbrage at something that someone has said or done, therefore choosing when and where to use inappropriate language should be carefully gauged. I agree that carefully chosen PnP is far more effective than using bad language, and I can cut anyone to the bone with careful insults, if the need arises, without ever choosing to use bad language. However, in reality its a far better realease of tension to say "Oh for f**k sake!" than to say "oh that was rather unfortunate!"

DeletedUser

There's a time & place for swearing/cursing/cussing & seeing as this game is played by people of many ages & different backgrounds then this is obviously not the place.

In any case I like the no swearing ban - it makes people a little more creative with their insults.
Being called a "poo-poo head" probably gets under the skin of some players more than being called one of the more common swear words anyway.

It doesn't offend me however, & I've never reported a player for swearing at me in mail - only for extremely threatening behaviour (eg I know where you live etc).

Those who complain about all this are just shining wits anyway (according to Dr Spooner) :)

DeletedUser

could care less, its on the internet you could pm me anything i really don't care i can click the red X and walk away, now if u come to my house, id probly laugh and hand u a beer for you efforts. If parent care about what their kids see dont let em play as simple as that.

DeletedUser

if you're offended by a word you're way too sensitive. as for the argument that kids play this game...... they hear and say the same words on a daily basis so unless you're gonna put a shock collar on everyone like they did cartman in south park banning it from here isn't gonna keep em from hearing it

just waiting for all the merry xmas threads to get deleted next because a non-christian complains about being offended by em.......

DeletedUser

Im ex Army (British) and swearing is part of my life in the real world! - But on here, as its a game, and I dont wish to offend people, I dont do it! - and thats how easy it is! As for which words are swearing and which are not - Thw way I see it, if I would say it in Church, or would be happy for any small child to say it, then its fine - but 99.99% of us playing this game understand rules, and the rules state NO swearing, so we dont swear?

DeletedUser

Guess it depends on the context for some of those words (for example, Insults versus Role-Playing). After all, it is by our discretion to choose whether to report these issues in-game.

Of course, other words should really be banned, context or not.

EDIT: Following an event of sexual harassment against my tribe member (I won't name them), I reinforce this view; no one who wants to play TW should have to face sexually offensive comments, in-game or elsewhere (like here.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

6 iAlone
- Didn't know anything but their name, so had to look at the stats. Those don't give much away other than a shit load of internal nobling. Everything ok there?

so mods can swear in the forums but the rest of us lowly peons can't? get job of leading by example guys :icon_rolleyes:

*goes and tries to figure out how to be a mod too so i can get away with it*

*edit, seems that "shit" is allowed to be said in certain ways....... have to make a note of that :icon_evil:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

EDIT: Following an event of sexual harassment against my tribe member (I won't name them), I reinforce this view; no one who wants to play TW should have to face sexually offensive comments, in-game or elsewhere (like here.)
I actually wouldn't mind some sexually offensive comments pm me anytime anything i could use some Lawls, make for some fun conversations ppl are to paranoid if your rly offended by what someone says that's your fault for taking it to seriously, there's worse things said in elementary school than whats allowed here.

If this game were given a tv rating it would be
TV
Y

DeletedUser

What may come as a surprise to most internet users is there are parts of the world where courtesy is the norm.

Why would an adult ever need to swear at another? The same point can be put across in a respectful manner and you are also more likely to be taken seriously.

You can easily point that someone is intellectually challenged for example without using a single swear word. Or you can do the same for pointing out hypocrisy. What would calling them a c#$% achieve?

Still there will continue to be attention speakers and people who can only swear in response to an argument they do not like.
There is no reason for adults to swear and as a result also no good reason to teach the kids to swear.

Most swear words are offensive because they imply a derogatory view of certain individuals or certain acts.
Resorting to swear words to win an argument is a display of weakness. Spewing foul words to release stress is an extremely selfish act.

DeletedUser

swear words imo are no different that any other words, the word shit is no more or less offensive than the word purple to me. it's all in the perspective of the individual. imo if you're offended by it, don't read it. there's many tv shows that offend large groups of people, yet they're still on the air, many movies, songs, etc etc.........

2ndly to use the excuse that children read this forum is bullshit imo, if you were to place a recording device on the average child and listen to what they are exposed to, and say themselves on a regular basis a couple swear words would seem pale in comparison.

You can easily point that someone is intellectually challenged for example without using a single swear word. Or you can do the same for pointing out hypocrisy. What would calling them a c#$% achieve?

actually you can't, you're violating the forum rules just as much as anybody who swears here, calling someone "intellectually challenged" isn't allowed.

"Personal insults are not allowed anywhere in this forum"
"Please note that starring out characters like "F*ck" does not make it any less a swear word. it is still perfectly understandable and still intentionally offensive, and thus is forbidden in all forms."
(direct quotes from the forum rules)

point is, no matter what you say or how you say it someone somewhere is gonna get their panties in a wad over it, so by that logic there shouldn't be a forum at all if we can't post anything that may be taken offensively. people need to grow up and get over it, the real world isn't always a very nice place, and if a few words have the power to offend you then maybe you should just stay locked up in your house all day with no tv, radio, computer or newpaper etc..... because there is much worse waiting for you outside your door

DeletedUser

actually you can't, you're violating the forum rules just as much as anybody who swears here, calling someone "intellectually challenged" isn't allowed.

Sad fact, I was not aware, though I will admit how 'intellectually challenged' can be seen as derogatory. It is difficult to allow a word based on context. I for example, could use it and mean no disrespect. It is a fact that there are intellectually disabled people in this world and depending on degree of disability, some may even play tribal wars as they have every right to just like the rest of us.

There are many though who would use it as an insult with every intent to offend.

I made friends with an autistic in this very world once and enjoyed all the mails from him.

Call my logic shit if you want for all I care, just dont compare me to shit; that is a personal insult in any context.

I believe it should boil down to intent of the poster, but that can make life really difficult for the moderators, when do you call it distasteful and when is it part of a respectful argument? So I cant really disagree with TWforum rules.

DeletedUser

Sad fact, I was not aware, though I will admit how 'intellectually challenged' can be seen as derogatory. It is difficult to allow a word based on context. I for example, could use it and mean no disrespect. It is a fact that there are intellectually disabled people in this world and depending on degree of disability, some may even play tribal wars as they have every right to just like the rest of us.

There are many though who would use it as an insult with every intent to offend.

I made friends with an autistic in this very world once and enjoyed all the mails from him.

Call my logic shit if you want for all I care, just dont compare me to shit; that is a personal insult in any context.

I believe it should boil down to intent of the poster, but that can make life really difficult for the moderators, when do you call it distasteful and when is it part of a respectful argument? So I cant really disagree with TWforum rules.

proves my point entirely, it all comes down to the individual reading the posts. some "intellectually challenged" people, i.e. autistic, mentally retarded, etc...... would take that offensively. many prefer to be called "differently abled".

i'm not calling you logic shit, unlike most people on here who randomly spout off their opinions you actually put some thought into backing them up with reasoning. 2ndly i'm not comparing you to shit either, i don't know you well enough for that yet :icon_wink:

bottom line is no matter what you say or how you say it, someone will get offended by it. by the logic posted in the forum rules all the threads wishing everyone a merry christmas should be deleted and the posters should be given infractions. many people don't celebrate and take offense to having someone wish them a merry christmas, instead we are supposed to say happy holidays :icon_rolleyes: just 1 of many examples of how something that was meant to be completely inoffensive could be considered offensive.

imo the whole damn world is becoming to "politically correct" if something that trivial has the ability to offend you, you've got issues imo and need to have surgery to get the stick removed from your posterior regions

DeletedUser

I am not offended by anything, but that doesn't prevent me from choosing my wording more carefully, as not to offend others, not everyone thinks the same about things as me.
Personally, I don't think there's a place for any kind of insult, be it a common one, a more 'creative' one, or one of those pseudo-polite ones. Most of the time it's downright silly in the eyes of bystanders and leads to nothing but an ever bigger mess than before you started.
On the other hand, this is a PnP board, meant for 'role playing' if you wish. Those politics can involve arguments and negative propaganda, and the rules leave enough room for in-character insults to aid you with that.

DeletedUser

I don't usually go out of my way to offend people unless they're complete idiots, then they just deserve it. I usually do try to pick my words carefully also, just that with how easily offended most people are it gets to the point where it's a waste of time because no matter what you say or how you say it, someone is gonna get offended by it. I'll continue to try and word my posts carefully on here so as not to blatantly offend someone, but if I do even after trying not to, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

DeletedUser

I laugh if someone tries to offend me. I take care to not offend anyone cuz they might come back and bite your butt.