To all W60 Posters..

DeletedUser

Leaving this here if anyone wishes to have discussion on it (or feel free to privately message me).
I have also posted it in the locked, stickied moderation thread so the message doesn't get lost down the road.

AreYouKidden said:
Recently I've been attempting to be a little more laid back while looking at threads/posts, and choosing where to lay down the rules/infractions, in hopes that it would allow posters more diversity/freedom on where they go with their debates. For the most part I believe it's helped, along with various happenings in the world, the forums to be a more active and entertaining place. However, with that freedom/activity, also comes trolls, and those who cannot seem to contain their hostility when they feel they've been slighted.

I'd like to continue with a more conservative approach to modding the forums here, because I do feel it has it's benefits (who really enjoys having to curb every post they make?). However in order to do that, the open hostility between certain personalities needs to stop. (I won't mention names, because I feel that everyone can improve their posting with a little a thought prior to clicking submit).

Not everyone needs to be friends, not everyone needs to like one another, however you do need to either show a certain amount of respect/decorum in your posts towards one another, or not post at all. I'm looking for clean, healthy debate here, and for everyone to do away with the pointless flaming that relates in no way to this game, and in the end will serve no other purpose than to have your privilege of posting removed from this forum.

Ack3rl3y

Pretty good approach to take aye, kudos to you for that. As always personalities / people will clash when there is a difference in opinion, perhaps if you just PM'd those who take it to a more severe level so that they know to take more caution?

DeletedUser

That I'll definitely do, as I prefer to warn first, infract later, unless someone appears to be intentionally/repeatedly breaking rules, which thankfully most posters here seem to be pretty respectful/safe. So kudos to all of you who have good posting habits!

DeletedUser105718

I'm sure you are smart. Thus anything you decide to delete/infract is within reason.

Keep up the good work you've been doing :)

DeletedUser

Leaving this here if anyone wishes to have discussion on it (or feel free to privately message me).
I have also posted it in the locked, stickied moderation thread so the message doesn't get lost down the road.

Everyone makes me cry and you let them. :icon_cry::icon_cry:

DeletedUser

Finny, give up reading now. This one might be a bit too long for you.

As you mention you being against pointless flaming, allow me to flame you for no apparent reason but the fact that I can. AYK, for a player who supposedly has considerable experience in PnP and has become a moderator, you could not be more wrong about the public forums. Winding up people is what the forum is all about. Only naive people really think the forums are a place to conduct informative and truthful political discussion/debate. I have posted nearly 10,000 posts here over 6-7 years of me being a public poster and I have noticed a few things in my time about these forums. The forums are a shitslinging fest, always have been always will be and I am just glad to be a part of the fray. This is just a harsh reality that the advocates of the "lets just all be best best best friends" position don't seem to understand. When I want to discuss politics or strategy or news, I do it with my tribe not with people whose opinions I don't value nor particularly trust. When I am bored or want to troll at someone elses expense though, I come to these forums. The forums are used as platforms for braggarts, trolls, liars and manipulators to indoctrinate the public into buying into lies about their tribe or other tribes or just for their own sadistic entertainment. Take that away and you are left with nothing.

So you have a choice.

The mudslinging, scheming, flaming, argumentative, circular forums that we are all so used to or dead forums.

You choose.

DeletedUser

As you mention you being against pointless flaming, allow me to flame you for no apparent reason but the fact that I can. AYK, for a player who supposedly has considerable experience in PnP and has become a moderator, you could not be more wrong about the public forums. Winding up people is what the forum is all about. Only naive people really think the forums are a place to conduct informative and truthful political discussion/debate. I have posted nearly 10,000 posts here over 6-7 years of me being a public poster and I have noticed a few things in my time about these forums. The forums are a shitslinging fest, always have been always will be and I am just glad to be a part of the fray. This is just a harsh reality that the advocates of the "lets just all be best best best friends" position don't seem to understand. When I want to discuss politics or strategy or news, I do it with my tribe not with people whose opinions I don't value nor particularly trust. When I am bored or want to troll at someone elses expense though, I come to these forums. The forums are used as platforms for braggarts, trolls, liars and manipulators to indoctrinate the public into buying into lies about their tribe or other tribes or just for their own sadistic entertainment. Take that away and you are left with nothing.

So you have a choice.

The mudslinging, scheming, flaming, argumentative, circular forums that we are all so used to or dead forums.

You choose.

+1 for the sexual Dylan

DeletedUser

So you have a choice.

You choose.

Idk, i have seen entertaining nice forums(yes i know i'm not exactly the best contributor for a "nice"forum). However for a "nice" forum to be entertaining you need people with imagination who bring out new threads. The lack of variety of threads in this world and the lack of willingness of people who play this world to take a larger role in the forums(i.e. blogging) have lead to the situation it is now. So i disagree that the arguments are the only way to make the forums entertaining, but they seem the only way for this world :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

W60 is the rule not exception. Forums are generally rubbish quality full of flamers to the point that it defines the forums. Nice to see AYK trying to stop that but these flamefests and the personalities that accompany them are part of the forums. These mythical beasts known as the quality posters aren't. There isn't a single good poster on W60, they just don't exist.

DeletedUser

While I appreciate that you all know what makes a great forum (and I do take the comments to heart), I also think you may have missed the mark if you think a forum is here merely for your entertainment of slamming other people, and putting them down, making them feel worthless, to the point they no longer come to the forums (thus removing what you call fun in the end, as it's just a couple of trolls clubbing each other over the head). While this does occur in the majority of forums due to the nature of people to let their mouths run wild while hiding behind a computer, it isn't the only way for a forum to be entertaining, and in general not the best received way.

Once upon a time (and you notice it more at the beginning of a world), forums were active with PnP. People actually slinging the agendas of their tribes / accounts on the forums, and trying to sway the opinions of the world, in hopes to survive another day/month/year, to help them win this war, or the next. (and yes a lot of dribble, but somewhere in the dribble was content..) There was a battle going on in the forums, simultaneously with the battles going on in the world, a way for people of the world to connect to one another, or to distance themselves as the case sometimes is. As worlds grow older, and personalities start to disappear, you find that forums tend to degrade into a more slanderous type of flaming, which runs the rest of the people off as they no longer find interesting content to view.

It’s kind of funny that you argue the forums are all about trolling Dylan, because your one of those people who I feel does show a decent amount of decorum/thought when posting, using stats/literacy to back up your arguments, and help win your side of a debate. And while you do bend the line on occasion, I rarely see you jumping over it face first, nor would I call what you do blatant trolling (though it is sometimes the underlying tone of your posts) You are someone who fosters a lot of debate on the forums (good and bad), it’s those types of personalities that keeps things entertaining here, people wanting to know what you’re going to say next, and thus keep coming back for more. While you may do some mudslinging it’s generally done within the context of the game in mind, or with an end goal in sight, not just out of a general dislike of someone else. In fact, I agree whole heartedly with this statement, it sums up what I’m trying to say in more ways than one, as this is politics in a nutshell:
The forums are used as platforms for braggarts, trolls, liars and manipulators to indoctrinate the public into buying into lies about their tribe or other tribes or just for their own sadistic entertainment

I have no issue with people coming to the forums, to slam a tribe, a person, for their in game strategies, to manipulate, lie to get what they need out of the world, to debate a topic to death until the other side gives up even when they are wrong, or to out a person for being caught lying, backstabbing another… it’s all politics, and part of the game, and the forums. . But when the conversation turns from world related topics, to personal trash talking, insulting, and general dribble, that’s when I take issue. My point wasn’t to make people bff’s here, I have no right in telling anyone who they can/cannot be friends/enemies with, nor would I want to. I am merely stating that IF the personal insults/flaming continue in a way that does not relate to game play, or this world at all, then players will begin to receive infractions, and see their privilege to post removed.

tl;dr: Think before you post......

DeletedUser

I have but learned new ways to wind people up. After the moderators started clamping down on personal insults, I could no longer insult someone else's mother without getting a ban. I honestly thought my role in the publics was over. I learned in worlds like world 32 in which I believe you also posted in before you became a moderator that I could utterly frustrate other people without personally insulting them. This is how I built my new persona within the forums.