1.1 When to noble bounce
1.2 Three pronged defence
1.3 Farm bouncing
1.4 Inter-village bouncing
1.5 Dodge bouncing
1.6 Conclusion and Notes
1.7 Credits

1.0 What is noble bouncing?

Noble bouncing, or noble sniping; is a commonly used tactic amoungst the upper eschelons of Tribal Wars players, however it is considered too difficult by most ameatur players to utilise effectively. As a result, it is overlooked by many, despite it's effectiveness in taking down noble trains.

Noble bouncing is timing attacks or support to land in the middle of a noble train, killing off the nobles before they manage to conquer the village. When executed correctly, it will look something like this:

d13a6f837a.png

To Effectively master the noble bounce - You need three things, all of which can be done for free, at very little cost to yourself.

The first of these three ingredients, is the web browser Opera. I recommend the use of this browser for any Tribal Wars player who wishes to attack and defend much better.

The second requires some simple reading and execution, and about five minutes of your time. Below I have quoted an excerpt from Cheeseasaurus' excellent guide on Timing Troop Movements, which I recommend to all.

Cheeseasaurus-TimingTroopMovements said:
When to send your troops
Ideally, you'd just subtract the duration from the arrival time.

There's still one more thing to take into consideration before we can know when to send the troops: lag.
Every internet game has it; tribal wars is no exception. When you click the 'ok' button on the confirmation screen, your computer has to process that click, send the information across the internet to the server, and be processed by the server. This all takes time.

The lag fluctuates and cannot be completely controlled by you, but there are things you can do to influence its stability. Try to keep your computer's workload low. Don't have a bunch of applications running at once.
Minimize your use of network resources. Don't start downloading something right before you want to send a timed command.

Before sending the troops, make a couple tests to predict the lag.
Choose 2 villages, at least one of them yours. Figure out the duration between them, and send a few attacks. (When I do this, I click at the moment I see the second counter change.) Write down the times you send them and the times they actually arrive.

Now calculate the times they should have ideally arrived (sending time + duration) and write these down.
Subtract the ideal arrival times from the actual arrival times; and write the answers down. These are the delays.

Find the average lag time by adding up the delays and dividing the answer by the number of attacks you sent.

here's a sample test I did:
Code:
     launch     actual arrival   ideal arrival      delay
1)  17:06:40    17:19:25.242     17:19:22.553    00:00:02.689
2)  17:07:40    17:20:25.253     17:20:22.553    00:00:02.700
3)  17:08:40    17:21:25.121     17:21:22.553    00:00:02.568
4)  17:09:40    17:22:25.367     17:22:22.553    00:00:02.814
5)  17:10:40    17:23:25.343     17:23:22.553    00:00:02.790

average lag: 00:00:02.7122
variance:    00:00:00.246
If the difference between the highest delay and the lowest delay is higher than the time frame you want your troops to arrive within, then good luck :icon_neutral:

The time you want to actually send your troops is:
(arrival time) - (duration + average lag)

Actually clicking at the right time is entirely up to you and your sense of time (unless you're cheating).

I mentally split each second into fifths; any more than that and I tend to lose consistency with my mental counting.

And the third, and most important thing a successful noble bouncer needs - Is patience. You need the patience to sit around and wait for a launch, it's a pain to wait, but you must - Just like attacking.

1.1 When to noble bounce

When making the decision to noble bounce, you're making the decision not to stack. Some will stipulate that noble bouncing should only be done when you're too low on troops to stack the villages under attack, however I believe noble bouncing is best done whenever you are under co-ordinated attack. Simply put, if an enemy is putting enough effort in to time all their trains against you, they want you gone. Preserve your troops, you won't lose many by sniping - But they will lose time. It lets the enemies nukes bounce off your villages and go through another long period of transit, whilst support from yourself and your tribemates arrives in your villages.

It should be noted that although one may be an excellent sniper with all three of the prerequisites listed above, they will be unsuccessful without a proper attack marking system. Below is how I list my incoming attacks, many use different marking systems - However I believe this to be the most effective.

afb8eb02ea.jpg

Without properly marked attacks, particularly against a skilled attacker who times fakes, you will not know when to split, and you will - In all likelihood - Fail in defending your village using sniping.

Now - You wake up, and you have 200 incomings. You see a cluster of them, ten hours out, all from numerous villages to several of your isolated villages, landing in the same second. Do you stack one or two of the villages, and hope to renoble the rest - Or do you attempt to snipe every train they throw at you? Simple answer. Whilst it would make sense to stack one or two of your villages and kill off some player offences, whilst support arrives from your main cluster or from your tribemates - You can defend the other villages, simply by sniping noble trains using various methods. This will allow you to keep all your villages for long enough to stack.

1.2 Three Pronged Defence

Alright, now. There are numerous ways to bounce nobles - The three most common of which will be explained briefly here, and in detail in their own section.

In brief, here are the distinctions between the different methods of sniping:

-> Inter-village sniping is the most common form of bouncing, and is the most effective against skilled attackers, whilst giving you the most margin for error.

-> Farm sniping is the most unknown sniping skill, and is only effective against noble trains more than one second. Whilst it gives you plenty of chances, it only utilises the troops in the village under attack.

-> Dodge sniping is the least effective form of sniping, and is only used in isolated villages incapable of farm sniping. You will only have one attempt to Dodge snipe.

1.3 Farm Bouncing

Definitely not used enough, this method of sniping utilises any and all of the troops in the village with an incoming noble train to snipe a noble train. Whilst this method does have its limitations (Which rely entirely upon the quality of the incoming noble train), this method has the distinct advantage of having an incredible amount of oppurtunities for sniping.

Simply put, farm bouncing is sending troops in the defending village to hit a barbarian village and return midway through the train, effectively sniping it. Whilst this method does have its flaws in that it relies upon the defending village having troops within it (A luxury which is not indulged in by newly conquered villages), the sheer number of barbarian villages allows the player to have plenty of chances to snipe an incoming noble train.

But wait! There's a catch. Due to the way the server works, any returning attack will return at 000milliseconds. This means the farm sniping method will only work on noble trains such as the one below; which "cross a second".

d114651f54.png

Now, how to figure out this rounding thing? Well, it's simple. Attacks always round down to the nearest second. Regardless of the millisecond value of the attack hitting the barb, the server will always round down to the nearest second. Regardless of which side of 500ms the attack lands at, it will always round down, as shown below.

As you can see in the first image, the attack lands before 500ms, and still returns down.

ca430f8961.jpg

As you can see in this second image, the attack lands after 500 ms, and returns down regardless.

49225cded7.jpg

Well, now that that's dealt with; we can work out how to calculate "how to" farm snipe.

Simply put, you're going to have to find out how far out the noble train is. Now half it. If you launched at that very second; the barb would need to be that distance from the defending village. Well, because of course; you can't launch from that village at that very second to some magical barb, you need to "preload" your snipes. For example, if you have a noble train exactly six hours out, and you have a barb two hours and 57 minutes away, you will need to wait six minutes before you can launch.

This is because when calculating, you not only need to take into account the time it will take for your troops to get to the barb, but for your troops to return to your village after hitting it. When you take into account the sheer number of barbs around, as well as the different unit speeds at which you can hit them - you will have plenty of chances to hit the barb you need to hit when you need to hit it in order to snipe the train. A little maths is required, but when successful; you're going to annoy your enemy.

When done correctly, the farm snipe should look something like this.

db06dd6cca.png

In the above image; the defender was seen to divide his "sniping force" into four attacks, launched as a train; to safeguard against any misses.

1.4 Inter-village Bouncing

Well, this one is the easiest and most popular method of bouncing. Also, probably the easiest to teach. I've seen this method used to snipe trains less than 100ms on numerous occassions - all it requires is villages, patience, time and a bit of luck.

Inter-village sniping can be defined loosely as sending supporting troops from another village to arrive in the middle of a noble train, sniping it.

Arguably, the main advantage to this method is the fact that effectively any village within range can have an attempt at sniping a train. This is not limited to the defending players villages. Quite frequently, I've seen tribemates snipe each others incoming trains - which is a supreme advantage when the defending player is unable to (A case which frequently happens when the village under attack is isolated from the defenders main cluster).

The trick to Inter-village bouncing tight trains is simply to send a "support train", where a player will divide their supporting troops up into four slots, and fire them off as a train using the Opera method. The player can then check to see which of the troops split the train, and recall others and try at a different unit speed.

When done correctly, an inter-village snipe will look like this:

43db26a2bb.png

There are no hidden calculation tricks to inter-village bouncing beyond calculating your lag. No returning troops, nothing. Just fire away when the time to the village is equivalent to the distance the noble train is from the village.

1.5 Dodge Bouncing

Probably the least popular (And least effective) method of sniping a noble train. Simply put, dodge bouncing is sending troops within a defending village out to attack, and recalling them so they return to snipe the train.

Personally, I believe dodge bouncing to be the most difficult form of sniping; and should only be used as a last resort. Dodge sniping is extremely risk, relies upon two different sets of server lag (Sending out the attack and then cancelling) and takes alot of practice; without perfection.

Dodge sniping can be used to split trains less than a second when farm and inter-village sniping cannot, however is normally unsuccessful.

1.6 Conclusion and Notes

In years of playing this game, I've learnt when to snipe and when not to. Hopefully, after reading this guide; you will be more capable of making such informed decisions, as well as following through with them.

Please note that I began writing the first sections of this guide nearly a year ago, however I believe most things to still be accurate.

If you have any further questions, comments or opinions; please feel free to reply - or private message me and let me know.

1.7 Credits

First and foremost, credits go to the now retired wassy20 - for being the best sniper I have ever come across. Despite being the one to teach you the basics of sniping, you continued to astound me until the day you retired.

Credits to Neighb0r, pazliver and Astronomypouya, for showing me first hand what it is to snipe under intense conditions. Without playing alongside and against you guys, I would never have learnt to snipe the way I did.

Special thanks to Cheeseasaurus, for his great guides - particularly on calculating lag.

Further thanks to Patrick Bateman and Irishmetal for correcting my mistake about the rounding on farm sniping.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Who calls it bouncing? It's sniping...

Skimmed the guide...seems okay, but there have been many guides on sniping before. I don't see anything particularly innovative.

DeletedUser

Nice guide :).. as said by servy there are a lot. But good job overall :icon_wink:

FooFoo Pig

Nice guide, read most of it when I get more time will read the rest.

DeletedUser22924

it was a nice guide, i read the first few paragraphs, it's great to teach what they are, but not exactly how to do it effectevly.

DeletedUser

Don't returning troops always round down to .000? Even if they are returning at .999?

DeletedUser22739

That's the first time I've heard it called bouncing but not the first time I've seen a guide like that. I've also never herd of anyone overlooking the option to snipe any incoming nobles. Anyone with half a brain is going to look at every possible defensive option and sniping is not particularly a difficult thing to do. Now if you are going up against a player that knows how to send .2ms noble trains then you just quit unless your name is jamm. :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

Negative on the canceled attacks. I can say nothing more on the matter.

busamad

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I felt sure they changed that many worlds ago as well.

One option you missed was supporting a barb / other village & withdraw troops to land in the middle of the train.

ToTheGallows

Don't returning troops always round down to .000? Even if they are returning at .999?

I did testing when I first wrote the guide on w21, and when I completed it on w34 - both returned as per the guide. If some worlds are different, please inform me so I can alter it.

busamad said:
One option you missed was supporting a barb / other village & withdraw troops to land in the middle of the train.

Never used it before. Are there any millisecond roundings for withdrawn troops?

DeletedUser

Personally, I have never paid attention to it, though I will from now on, but what I have seen in the forums is that is how it works. The round up and round down you mentioned here is the first time I have heard that way.

DeletedUser

I did testing when I first wrote the guide on w21, and when I completed it on w34 - both returned as per the guide. If some worlds are different, please inform me so I can alter it.

Hmm. I did my testing on W34 as well, and they always rounded down.

Extract from my guide -

The server rounds the attacks down - I attacked a barb with scouts - 9 minute travel time.

First run was under .5 of a second - 20:34:18:477 was when the attack landed.
It returned at 20:43:18:000

Then I sent one over .5 of a second just to make sure it didn't round up

Second run - 21:12:28:927 was the landing time.
It returned at 21:21:28:000

Last edited by a moderator:

ToTheGallows

I did some further testing and I was incorrect. Thanks for pointing it out. I've adjusted the guide accordingly.

DeletedUser

Nice and simple, easy to follow guide TTG. I'll be sure to forward any RL friends who decide to pick the game up, towards your guides and teachings ;)

DeletedUser

Nice guide TTG :)
(Though I always thought the term "bouncing" meant sending a noble to a village 4 or 5 times, if it's in an area where you don't have a train ready)

@ spearfighter: I've managed to dodge snipe a few practice trains I sent at myself (no one sends me real trains anymore :.( ), even with my crappy connection. So yeah, it works. Only recommended if all alse fails though.

DeletedUser

Below is how I list my incoming attacks, many use different marking systems - However I believe this to be the most effective.

And why is it the most effective?

It shows the origin and the speed, it doesn't show the sent time after tagging which you can be used in combination with the incoming sorter to check whether you got all incomings tagged correctly. there is basically no indication whatsoever when an attack had been launched unless your tribe has an attack ID system set up, which many don't have. If you have the sent time in the title you can sort them ascending/descending by sent time and then run down all the timings and see whether there is anything you did wrong. Very important IMO.

Other than that, well explained, but sending troops from one village to another village to land in between nobles is definitely not called bouncing.

DeletedUser61629

And why is it the most effective?

It shows the origin and the speed, it doesn't show the sent time after tagging which you can be used in combination with the incoming sorter to check whether you got all incomings tagged correctly. there is basically no indication whatsoever when an attack had been launched unless your tribe has an attack ID system set up, which many don't have. If you have the sent time in the title you can sort them ascending/descending by sent time and then run down all the timings and see whether there is anything you did wrong. Very important IMO.

Other than that, well explained, but sending troops from one village to another village to land in between nobles is definitely not called bouncing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This guy is very right about the sent time and the incoming sorter.
The only thing you should edit out of the SlowTarget's script is the Fields, as that doesn't provide much purpose.

@OP
You are also very wrong about the "Dodge snipe".
It is one of the most effective ways to snipe as it gives you an entire 1 second window to hit, as cancelled attacks land on the exact ms they would have landed.
Its one of the best ways to snipe quick trains, just keep resending the snipe over and over until you get the right ms. (Once the attack is in range of the cancel periodx2)

If the train is landing on an odd numbered second, the attack needs to be sent on an odd numbered second, same with even numbers, calculating the time you need to cancel is easy enough.

Leaves you a whole second window to hit with the cancel, I admit though, it should only be used as a last resort, but I strongly disagree that its a inaccurate way to snipe. As it is the most accurate.

EDIT: Bouncing? Wtf?

Last edited:

Kash2Smash

Who calls it bouncing? It's sniping...

Skimmed the guide...seems okay, but there have been many guides on sniping before. I don't see anything particularly innovative.

he hit the spot..

though nice effort :)