Walls were Shadow-Buffed for W87

DeletedUser90465

After playing TW for over 8 years and knowing all the farming mechanics, this past week I was surprised to see that walls were apparently shadowbuffed this world. Basic defense is 20 on this world, the same as all other worlds, but level 1 wall kills 1 light cavalry with 0% luck. On other worlds, 1 light cavalry survives with 0% luck against level 1 wall....

When were level 1 walls buffed?

World 85:

e9061ccac5a810577d355bf2ccceaf69.png

World 87:
5a8d22d705943e2ab890aed02fdf1266.png

Why is this happening?

For anyone who actually farms efficiently/micro-farms, this game is getting more and more messed up.

twenty-five

You've posted worlds under different battle systems, so that's not really evidence of anything (Although you are right). The wall page does all you need to confirm it's been buffed though, don't need any simulators.

Old: (matches 20 basic + 50 per level (which was the old 'known' equation))
LevelBasic defenseDefensive bonus
Current704%
At level 21208%

New: (Doesn't match the old equation)
LevelBasic defenseDefensive bonus
Current974%
At level 21948%
Next one is 272. So however it's calculated now isn't a linear function as before.

DeletedUser90465

Why was it changed?

And why would TW rework walls without any notice to community? That's like reworking troops without anyone knowing...

twenty-five

Who knows. I found it quite odd, and yeah I agree it probably shouldn't have changed but you are stuck with it now and as far as I know there has never been any guarantees made about consistent formulae across worlds so eh, just gotta deal with it I guess. The change is incredibly minor though, the only real effect is going to be micro-farming because whilst there is a small defensive boost, in bigger battles it will be very negligible. It is only the walls basic defense and not the bonus that seems to have changed.

DeletedUser118344

I agree it affected my style of micro farming as well. We should have been informed but none the less I am glad it was not only me who had to face this.

:icon_razz:

DeletedUser118618

This is also going to impact the number of rams to get the wall levels down.

eg 3 rams won't bring a level 2 wall to 0 anymore, 4 are needed.

Offensive Nukes in this world can be expected to be weaker.

In short a good world for turtles.

DeletedUser118344

Just a question.. Are these settings gonna be only for this world or all consecutive worlds?

DeletedUser90465

All future I'd assume

TW is making their game better for noobs

Implementing huge market where you can literally click to buy infinity res w/o merchants
Stronger Walls
other players deleting instead of turning into barbs so the farmers have to rely more on their own pits

It's all in a downhill spiral and I can guarantee it won't take a turn for the better.

DeletedUser118344

TW is making their game better for noobs

Dunno about noobs, but I am sure there are players who are neither noobs nor experts or world winners, Players like me.. I personally do not like these new settings. Another point is these new settings should have been made public to players before making these changes.

It's all in a downhill spiral and I can guarantee it won't take a turn for the better.

Again, Not sure about spiral but certainly downhill.

slippery-slope.png

DeletedUser

Doubt it,

Each world has independent settings that cater to, if anything, different play styles--- henceforth making a game catering to newer players irrelevant, as they are considered newbies in the first place if they're generally inexperienced/trying the game. And then considering worlds are released continuously from feedback both externally and ingame gives each world it's own feel/homage that we as a community create & foster ourselves.

It's all in what you make of it. If you want to ensure it's not a downhill spiral, then don't alienate new players. That is up to the community of experienced players. That simple. Don't use the mentoring system if your just going to use it to sell the stats you see on a newer player as farm for your friend; Don't use it to dope them into backstabbing the tribe their in and effectively burning a newbies foundation to make trust for your own. The depravity I've heard of, not even going into the PP side of things, isn't welcoming at all. Even on the "Duchal" levels.

Lastly consider this, most players whom call themselves "experienced" players, lack the basic fundamentals that literally, the dozens--- if that--- of actual old school players still know, and still teach respectably within their own tribes.

DeletedUser

I'm sorry. Let's just agree to disagree. Every game has their strong and weak players; new and old; experienced and newbies. Doesn't make it the responsibility of the community to do something about it. I myself found it a little annoying to read your post. It was as if you are looking down on the players mate. You have good points but you're talking about a utopia gaming world that doesn't exist and will not exist. It can barely exist in the real world, how's it going to happen in a damn game which is meant to be extremely competitive.

Nevermind TribalWars, every other I game I know has either the same issues or worse.

Now addressing the issue of TW making the game easier for newbies, we can't say much in this world but when the next world is released and it's the exact same settings, you can probably expect a some decent players to stop playing as they did when p2w started.

You didn't state what the "fundamentals" were which "old school" players teach respectably. I'm pretty sure people who read these posts want to know exactly what you're talking about.

DeletedUser

You didn't state what the "fundamentals" were which "old school" players teach respectably. I'm pretty sure people who read these posts want to know exactly what you're talking about.

There are two players in this game.

Tribalhuggers,
&
Warmongers

The sooner one realizes what this means, the sooner one is truly pro.

DeletedUser

There are two players in this game.

Tribalhuggers,
&
Warmongers

The sooner one realizes what this means, the sooner one is truly pro.

Okay sure but that has nothing to do with fundamentals. I can win a game by hugging and I can also win a game by warring. Hugging is frowned upon but it also means that the ttube hugging is good at diplomacy (I'm talking about worthwhile tribes - not newbie tribal hugging).

Hugging / Wars have got nothing to do with fundamentals as far as I know. Not too sure who taught you the fundamental but they're definitely wrong. Moreover, that's a concept/strategy one can use. It's not a fundamentality of TribalWars. Are there any other real fundamentals you're missing out maybe?

Orlok-tsubodai

Doubt it,

Each world has independent settings that cater to, if anything, different play styles--- henceforth making a game catering to newer players irrelevant, as they are considered newbies in the first place if they're generally inexperienced/trying the game. And then considering worlds are released continuously from feedback both externally and ingame gives each world it's own feel/homage that we as a community create & foster ourselves.

It's all in what you make of it. If you want to ensure it's not a downhill spiral, then don't alienate new players. That is up to the community of experienced players. That simple. Don't use the mentoring system if your just going to use it to sell the stats you see on a newer player as farm for your friend; Don't use it to dope them into backstabbing the tribe their in and effectively burning a newbies foundation to make trust for your own. The depravity I've heard of, not even going into the PP side of things, isn't welcoming at all. Even on the "Duchal" levels.

Lastly consider this, most players whom call themselves "experienced" players, lack the basic fundamentals that literally, the dozens--- if that--- of actual old school players still know, and still teach respectably within their own tribes.

I'm pretty sure this thread is about one of the fundamentals and how it has been affected. That fundamental being micro farming and how this buff makes it more difficult.

I'm not really sure who you are having a dig at when you say people don't know or teach fundamentals. The original post is accurate, and leaves those that actually know the fundamentals wondering why we weren't informed of this change.

DeletedUser

Tribal Wars has never been a particularly forgiving game for the newer player however the reasoning for that has not really been elaborated upon in this thread.

It has very little to do with the settings. Stronger walls and Pay to Win make it more difficult overall for newer player. There are certain small aspects of the tutorial, mainly the free defensive troops and the teaching how to use militia that slightly help new players. It requires knowledge to abuse the Pay to Win system should you so choose it and the free resources given out of the tutorial to the maximum extent. The advantage of stronger walls to a weaker player pales in comparison to the advantage it gives to a stronger player.

It never has been the settings that have really disadvantaged newer players though, a game should have a skill and learning curve and Tribal Wars has that. What really hampers newer players is the tribes they join. Generally in most lower level tribes, there is one or a small group of players who are considered to be comparatively good and the rest of the tribe generally listens to them if they have any questions. This is fine in theory, but even the standard of those players is not very good when it comes to the scheme of things, so newer players do not end up learning much or the wrong things. Eventually they get rimmed by a small select group of players who do know how to play the game. They join the next world, since they are still bad, they have to join a bad tribe and the cycle continues.

There is hardly a way for newer players to even get to my level, no matter how much they are willing to get better.

As for my reckoning about this change, I believe that microfarming was not taken into account either as an oversight or a lack of knowledge from the balance team. Not that it is actually hampering microfarming at all, since at the high level, barb shaping is used. The purpose of the different wall settings is more pronounced in the later stages of the game where defence is significantly buffed. For example, it lowers the defensive mid-late stack threshhold from 7Ds to 6Ds, despite defence being weaker overall on this world due to lack of archers. It may even also change optimal ram numbers overall, though I would have to research this. Though I suppose that matters less if everything is to be P2W from now on.

Last edited by a moderator: