The Honour of Hounds

DeletedUser

There is no honour in war.

When people fight to the death, its usually for something pretty big - like the right to life, liberty, or freedom of religion. It takes a pretty big motivator to make a person risk their own life - and the lives of their family and comrades in arms - day after day, in some of the most unpleasant situations imaginable. And honor, as noble a concept as it may be, usually takes second place to coming home alive at the end of the day.

Tribals wars, however, is just a game. It's something we willingly do - not something we feel we must do, do protect our lives or our loved ones or the land we live on.

In light of that, long winded arguments about honor serve no purpose in these forums. (Unless the purpose of those arguments is to put others down, to make them enjoy the game less by accusing them of moral failings, in hopes that they'll be shamed into quitting? Sounds to me like a pretty stupid reason to be brandishing the word "honor" about.)

So what place does Honour have, in a video game?

I would posit this: That when we joined this game, each of us made a commitment to building an imaginary world of villages and armies, and to play out virtual battles in an entertaining way.

I don't think any of us realized exactly how much of our lives would be taken over by this time-sucking game… nor how many real friendships would come out of it. But we have built something impressive here, and it means something to us.

That is why, when something happens to endanger what we've built, people get all up in arms over it.

When someone pretends to be on your side and then disbands the tribe, it is a dishonorable act. When you hand your account to someone you trust and come back to find it was used to attack your friends, you have a right to feel angry and betrayed. When someone you sat for/covered with Premium/gave up sleep and personal time for, comes back to join the enemy and turns your hard work against you, that is a breach of good faith. All are going against the spirit of the game, and the friendships built in it.

But when someone drops a NAP? That's not a real betrayal. I can understand why (in the case of the DECIDE players) people felt betrayed: Because the supposed dropping-of-the-NAP was not very clear. I've read the conversation a couple different ways, with it ending right after the line "then lets agree to end the NAP" or with it trailing into a further conversation about trust. It reads differently depending on your perspective.

But the fact that there was a DECIDE clause in the first place? That impressed me. The fact that - despite the dropping of the NAP - no players are being required to attack their friends, that is still holding to the original purpose of the NAP. There are real friendships here, which are still being respected.

It's hard to wage a war, tearing up what others have spent so long building, while still keeping friendships intact over months and years of gameplay. Some people would just say "Screw it. This is war. There is no honor in war. Attack them when they least expect it, and finish them off!" but the leadership of BH did make the attempt to give 1 week notice (however poorly it came across) and in retrospect I don't think there was any betrayal intended.

Sorry for the long-winded post.

I s'pose I'll sum up by saying: The Berserk Hounds are one of the more honorable tribes I have met in my time playing this game. That doesn't mean they can't be cunning, cruel, or underhanded. But, for the most part, they have put real effort into playing in a way which respects people's real lives, and real friendships.

I'd toss back a beer with their Dukes, any day.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser67579

Ravenj

Since I am the person that put the most time into trying to make this work in BH I want to thank you for your insight. We understand that there is more to TW than just sending attacks and who ends up winning. We have all put alot of time into playing and making friends by this point in the game. I understand that many do not understand what was done and again I am seen as evil but that comes with the job. :)

Again thank you for taking the time to look and understand what we where actually trying to do.

DeletedUser79042

Philosophy in TW. And I disagree with the term video game. It is a game of numbers. In all aspects. Crazy things however, DO happen in RL due to the "gaming behaviour" and ... skype :).

It has been a good experiment. More like Big Brother. :D Unimaginable scenarios. And some people with alot of useless/no other way to spend(for various and sometimes serious reasons), time in their RL.

Last edited:

DeletedUser80608

@RavenJ at first I thought this would be another topic to put BH in a bad light. I did like reading it, its the first good post I have seen in the last few weeks! And when you say "and to play out virtual battles in an entertaining way" I can only agree, however some of us try to use every dirty trick they know to win this world.. I hope soon this game will be more about skills again instead of dirty tricks.

DeletedUser

Outstanding post.....

insert some theatrical music here>>>>>

We are in a
images

of a new era

:icon_wink::icon_wink:

DeletedUser

when you say "and to play out virtual battles in an entertaining way" I can only agree, however some of us try to use every dirty trick they know to win this world.. I hope soon this game will be more about skills again instead of dirty tricks.

The difficulty comes, I guess, when one player's idea of "entertaining" is another person's idea of a "dirty trick".

For example: I find it entertaining to sit enemy accounts. Some people think getting a sit in the enemy tribe is a dirty trick in and of itself. What I do with an enemy sit, though, is rarely malicious. I may stand accused of clearing villas for Phoenix, but really what I did was more to go thru and check that villas which ChamichA had cleared earlier with his nukes were still, in fact, clear (and I stopped the recruit queues there.) If I had not been on the account, those villas would *still* have fallen to Phoenix (SFC had hit DELETE, remember?) So I do not feel like I am guilty of dirty tricks, on that count.

I am guilty of pretending to be SFC's new co-, and for that I apologize. It was unfair of me to pretend to be a friend from another world, or to carry on correspondance with BH members under false premises. I'll try not to let it happen again ; )

But I hope that you don't think of me a someone who would "use every dirty trick they know to win" .. 'cuz I assure you, I know an awful lot of dirty tricks. Way more than I have ever used in TW (and all of them completely legal, game-wise). I just don't see the point in using them. Many of the tricks I know would hurt people who I enjoy playing with - or even fighting against. I would much rather promote the friendships which have developed in this game, than join in an angry shouting match about who betrayed who.

PS: Having fun fighting you on Blackmailed. You're a good player, and there's some nice back&forth going on ; )

inflrc

Raven, you already know that it took me just one line to tell you that I disagree with your initial post, but what I didn't tell you is that I find the theme of it very ironic.

You talk about honor while at the same time they talk about "dirty tricks" and all this incident was raised because they think that SFC incident was "under handed, deceiving, low, exactly what paj has been doing since the world started".

Life is ironic, so is TW.
There is honor in RL, there is honor in TW, too.

DeletedUser

Raven, you already know that it took me just one line to tell you that I disagree with your initial post, but what I didn't tell you is that I find the theme of it very ironic.

You talk about honor while at the same time they talk about "dirty tricks" and all this incident was raised because they think that SFC incident was "under handed, deceiving, low, exactly what paj has been doing since the world started".

Life is ironic, so is TW.
There is honor in RL, there is honor in TW, too.

Why dont you report us to the European court of human rights lol! personally i think we have another case of people taking the GAME too serious, personally I cant see the problem in attacking friends ingame is actually more fun. I think if I actually got upset by something someone else did ingame I would have to seriously consider if this was the game for me.

It doesnt really matter how much multi accounts pnx players have or one tribe is another tribes puppet etc it doesnt really effect me at all..

EDS

DeletedUser80608

and all this incident was raised because they think that SFC incident was "under handed, deceiving, low, exactly what paj has been doing since the world started".

Maybe you missed some recent events, but It isn't only because of that one with with SFC, you and your boyfriend have a big part in it as well as i put liars on the same level as cheaters wich all belong to Dirty game play in my eyes!..

:axemen:

Pajuno

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Maybe you missed some recent events, but It isn't only because of that one with with SFC, you and your boyfriend have a big part in it as well as i put liars on the same level as cheaters wich all belong to Dirty game play in my eyes!..

:axemen:

i know. Your personal broaching of your "honorable" nap with HG wasnt a form of dirty play.

Or the nobling of 1500 point barbs in enemy territory. Some could say that was some shady playing........

Or the betrayal of the alliance by Noobaxes sitting HG accounts vs Phoenx

Or Noobaxes lying and denying sitting against Phoenx when physical proof was present...

Or the rudeness you exhibit with your "boyfriend" terms..

You say that dirty play turns you off, i say your potty mouth and verbal abuse turns me off. even your ingame name is offensive, Mr stool of Shiet. Clever, yet clearly intended to be rude..... Raven committed the very same crime that noobaxes did. Let me guess.. its legal for BH to use and abuse HG accounts for the purpose of furthering bh, yet Raven is not permitted to impersonate someone via an enemy sit??

So if you are exploiting a trusting nap, you are permitted to stand on your soapbox and preach to others?

I dont think you should act any holier than thou, based on your own attitude, abuse of language to insult people, or the "dishonorable" breaking of the nap in order to further your own account/tribe. I never agreed to the nap with HG cause we would never hold it. Apparently giving and breaking your word is not that big a deal to someone in BH....

He who is sinless, may cast the first stone.

Something tells me, Mr stool of shiet, that you wouldnt be present to be tossing any stones at anyone... :lol:

Last edited:

DeletedUser79042

Btw, I think the title of this thread (and the thread itself) is one of the worse posts of Raven @ the pnp. Especially after the "mishaps" of the past week...

Raven LEAVE Phoenx and join the flok of BH you so much "honour" and "respect" ! :icon_razz: The "passengers" will keep a sit for you available (maybe 3 or 4 I suspect :lol:)

You cant tell east from west:icon_eek::icon_eek:

Nop. Only North and South :icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser

Whats this talk about honour and dishonour? Its a WAR game, wars are not always nice, people who you think are your friends turn out in fact backstabbing decievers. But since you guys have rightly pointed out that its a WAR game accept the fact you'll be betrayed, backstabbed, decieved, lied to, planned against and move on (next time choice your friends more carefully) This happens in war so stop moaning, if SFC ditched his sit in raven's hands then thats his fault, lets face it even noobs who barely understand this game no better then sending an enemy your sit... :icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser79042

Whats this talk about honour and dishonour? Its a WAR game, wars are not always nice, people who you think are your friends turn out in fact backstabbing decievers. But since you guys have rightly pointed out that its a WAR game accept the fact you'll be betrayed, backstabbed, decieved, lied to, planned against and move on (next time choice your friends more carefully) This happens in war so stop moaning, if SFC ditched his sit in raven's hands then thats his fault, lets face it even noobs who barely understand this game no better then sending an enemy your sit... :icon_rolleyes:

I suppose this is the post that says it all. The rest are ... philosophy. :icon_neutral:

DeletedUser

Or the rudeness you exhibit with your "boyfriend" terms..

You say that dirty play turns you off, i say your potty mouth and verbal abuse turns me off. even your ingame name is offensive, Mr stool of Shiet. Clever, yet clearly intended to be rude.....

I dont think you should act any holier than thou, based on your own attitude, abuse of language to insult people, .

He who is sinless, may cast the first stone.

Really paj, you wish to travel down this road???

Okay but hold on tight for a trip down memory lane........

As is your usual, rethae... you are full of shit.
Everyone knows you licked HG buttocks, everyone knows you are in the process of licking LOEN buttocks. No matter what happens, Phoenx has lived according to Phoenx Rules. No one will say we bent over backwards, putting our tongues where they dont belong. :icon_redface:
ps. ROFL. as is your typical bh/TWC style, i notice you are KISSING Beqa and luis ass. How does that taste, btw??? :lol: Is there anyone left on W30 whose ass you didnt kiss?

Potty mouth and verbal abuse??

You are full of shit, noobaxes.
Verbal abuse??

My references to knowing you were well before you bent over and kissed shipleys ass to get into Ram. :D
Verbal abuse

Hahaha, you are pathetic, Doob..
Verbal abuse

Loudmouthed, offensive, rude, superbly arrogant, basic all around jerk.... One could easily use this sentence to describe both of us...
At least you cant put "hypocrite" into my sentence...
Verbal abuse and you are one of the biggest hypocrites on w30

Dont try to paint me a hypocrite, my stances on many things have never changed.
You flip flop more then a fish out of water or your local politician

Thank you, Rethae, for being the ass kissing hugger you are. :icon_redface:
verbal abuse and insult

I could go on and on but you make this too easy paj. So before you throw that stone, check the stains on your own hands:icon_cool:

DeletedUser

There is nothing wrong with playing the game with honour or dishonour. Those with honour mock those that don't and vice versa. Both sides can take enjoyment from playing the game their way. Neither is right and neither is wrong, just different. I dont see any harm with playing with principles. What is wrong is expecting every other player to play to the same principles. Its that expectation that leads to anger, disappointment, etc.

As already observed in this thread, this is a war game. its in-game rules define what is allowed. Any other "unwritten" rules, are simply manifestations of peoples expectations as to how others will play. Only if you break one of the official in-game rules can you be called a cheater. Breaking unwritten rules is not cheating, just playing to different standards

Tribes can set internal standards of behaviour, which then define what that tribe stands for. Again, there is no right or wrong, other than complying or not complying with the in-game official rules

DeletedUser

There is nothing wrong with playing the game with honour or dishonour. Those with honour mock those that don't and vice versa. Both sides can take enjoyment from playing the game their way. Neither is right and neither is wrong, just different. I dont see any harm with playing with principles. What is wrong is expecting every other player to play to the same principles. Its that expectation that leads to anger, disappointment, etc.

As already observed in this thread, this is a war game. its in-game rules define what is allowed. Any other "unwritten" rules, are simply manifestations of peoples expectations as to how others will play. Only if you break one of the official in-game rules can you be called a cheater. Breaking unwritten rules is not cheating, just playing to different standards

Tribes can set internal standards of behaviour, which then define what that tribe stands for. Again, there is no right or wrong, other than complying or not complying with the in-game official rules

+1 LIKE where is the facebook button?

ok lets face it:DSFC should have runn to Bh because BH was fighting his enemy not to a sitter in the enemy tribe no matter his names[Raven or not] unless he wanted his account in enemy hands.

The only way to find out Noob was sitting inside HG was to have controll of a duke/baron account urself already.
So that say everything how dirty was ur war with HG.

Last edited by a moderator:

silvereclipes

couldn't have said it any better myself si reason I get a cold chuckle when I see someone spouting words like honour in a war game it is so funny, how many times I have seen some green recruit spouting about how honorable war was till he was in the shit for a while an found war has no honour its all about killing your enemy the fastest way possible an as ruthlessly as possible to demoralize them.the only rules in war are these kill as many of the enemy as possible an lose as less as possible of your own its not about dying for your country but making the other one die for his.

DeletedUser

Agreed - for the most part.

What I do have a problem with is people who publicly declare they are playing one way, while acting the opposite in private.

If there are no rules save what is listed in the Rules forum, so be it. If you choose to play by a different set, good for you.

For all of Paj's faults - and there are many - I haven't seen this behavior from him. He is the same publicly and privately, god help those who are around him in real life. :icon_biggrin: