Ideas In Helping New Players Keep Interest

• Thread starter Sentient Sentinal
  • Start date

DeletedUser113867

I didn't mention people having so much free time at all.

I disagree with your entire post.

Why does a new player need a chance to catch up? Is the only enjoyment you get in the game from being high ranked? This is the root of the problem, too many suggestions that assume beginners should get some sort of advantage. They need to learn, be willing to learn and not be demotivated by losing a few times.

Limited hauls worlds are available and so are no hauls, tribal wars caters for those settings so again why should we remove/limit one of the features that majority of players enjoy to cater for new players? Then we'll just need even more new players as so many players that enjoy farming will quit. Check the size of w71, it's the smallest world I've seen for some time... more no hauls is no where near an answer.

Regarding scripts, I still disagree. Very simple to use majority of them and very often there are people who will teach as well, certainly is in our tribe.

The new guys need to stay level not catch up

Not because of being high ranked but as i said for a challenge.

100k player vs 10k player the big player wins.

Making it easier for them to stay level makes a more even fight.

More even fight is more fun and a new guy then has a chance to at least do some damage back.

Atm they fall so far behind its not a challenge to take them all out.

DeletedUser111538

Still disagree.

Find me a new player that doesn't want to take the time to learn, read the forums and guides and I'll rank at exact same speed as them and still beat them because they don't want to learn.

Find me a new player that has taken the time to learn, read the forums and guides and I'll rank quicker than them but they will put up more of a fight as they've learnt how to play. Yes they will lose eventually because of the size difference but from that experience and continued learning they will start to find they can keep up with growth of the top 100. Sniping, backtiming, arranging your accounts D, having the most effective troops builds etc etc are not actually difficult things to learn if you can be bothered.

As I said in one of my posts, there is a difference between a 13 year old kid coming on here and us trying to find ways to keep these players interested even though they aren't interested in learning and someone who is new but willing to learn and can actually understand that there is some logic to this game beyond just building up a pretty village. When the worlds on tribal wars were massive they were still full of really bad players but these players could comfortably get on with playing the game without coming up against much challenge because of the size of the worlds. The community is now a lot smaller so the bad players get found out a lot quicker. Worlds will never be the size they were because as I said before this is just a text based game, they were hugely popular many years ago but they are on the decline rapidly.

The question really isn't about keeping new players, new players who want to stay will stay. New players who aren't willing to learn and take knocks and just want to play sim city will get bored and upset about being rimmed.

The true question we should be asking is how do we encourage people to treat new worlds as new worlds and not keep the good players all in one or two tribes and make worlds really uncompetitive and too quick to rush to end game.

DeletedUser113867

It is not a knock we give new players, we give them no chance.

Morale bashers stop morale helping them.
We outgrow them so much more
We take eveything from them and the restart takes along time
All the top players in 1 tribe together and then up to 5 players per account

Moderating system also needs to change to help players, i know i left for along time when i started because it sucks.

And i have read the rules guidlines and things and in some places they contradict the rules which does not help as how are we supposed to know what is allowed and whats not.

DeletedUser

Moderating system also needs to change to help players, i know i left for along time when i started because it sucks.

And i have read the rules guidlines and things and in some places they contradict the rules which does not help as how are we supposed to know what is allowed and whats not.

Any examples of this? Just out of curiosity ^_^

DeletedUser111538

The very tribe you are in heartless completely defies your logic. So many of our members couldn't snipe, couldn't send a train, didn't know what attack IDs were, had never used a DS timer etc etc... 1 or 2 members are currently on the biggest accounts they've ever been on.

My two main bashers have been recently just moved into our tribe also. I taught them everything I could as if they were a member and they were willing to learn so they became an asset worth having in the tribe.

I think you are hugely over exaggerating how new players don't get any chance. Any new player with a good level of activity and a willingness to learn is welcome in my tribe. They are the most loyal players you'll ever find, first to send defense, first to offer nukes and they have no ego. They are a dukes dream.

DeletedUser113867

Any examples of this? Just out of curiosity ^_^

The list saying Ingame language which you must know to fully enjoy the game has lists of sayings and words that we cannot say so is bullshit and tricks people into getting banned.

The moderating system has alot of flaws and i will get banned if i put them in the forum so i wrote to you in private message.

But theres alot of discrepency between what players get for breaking rules, 1 person will get perma ban while someone else will get off with no punishment. I know alot of players walk because of this and it kills the game at times.

I quit for along time because of it and know others who do the same.

DeletedUser

The list saying Ingame language which you must know to fully enjoy the game has lists of sayings and words that we cannot say so is bullshit and tricks people into getting banned.

The moderating system has alot of flaws and i will get banned if i put them in the forum so i wrote to you in private message.

But theres alot of discrepency between what players get for breaking rules, 1 person will get perma ban while someone else will get off with no punishment. I know alot of players walk because of this and it kills the game at times.

I quit for along time because of it and know others who do the same.
Can't believe I'm agreeing with heartlessfool

DeletedUser

I'm kind of in a rush, I'll get back to reading this thread in a couple of hours, but here's my 2 cents after reading the first couple of posts:

I'm new. I played on .nl W35 and got absolutely destroyed, it took me about 2 months to get to the stage where I could build an acadamy and I gave up on that world soon afterward seeing the big leads people got over me. For a new player such as myself it's the 'common' things that aren't common, the main thing being farming.
Me: "Oh I can attack these barbarian villages, cool." Send out one attack at the start of a world, fail to grasp the importance of it -> suck.​

This can be easily changed with the achievement system with a "farm x per day for x amount of time" achievement with a nice reward tied to it, I followed the achievements like a holy bible when I started because I thought that was the way to go, turns out it's far from being very effective.

Things like collaborating with tribe-mates and/or losing troops are something you need to learn, and that's fine, I encourage people to co-play at the start (as I did myself for this world) to get a grasp on what to do and get some practical experience with timing incomings, backtiming, sending trains, etc. It's a lot more fun if you do it with someone else and a lot more effective in my particular case.

Anyways, I've got to bail, I'll get back to this thread.

zakipoo

maybe cheaper packet cost would keep players interested, just saying :lol:

zakipoo

when youre losing nobles and having to pay full packet cost to replace the noble you just lost, it really stings.

DeletedUser

when youre losing nobles and having to pay full packet cost to replace the noble you just lost, it really stings.
Yeah I know that (I had to rebuild my first train immediately lmao), I'm just saying that that's more of a factor to more seasoned players compared to newer ones because I (as an example) am not used to any other system, so why should it bother me?

DeletedUser

Be sure to make friends along the way and get to know people. That'll make playing TW more enjoyable and interesting.

DeletedUser114562

I recall when I first tried to teach my gf how to play this game that it was fun for a while, until people with 4/5 better points ratio started to gang bang her, her being on the rim and attackers being in the core, that was the last time she did play.
I also recall lots of newbs getting cleared simply for being active on this external forum, people just started attacking them because they were trying to learn. What else ? Oh! A friend started playing on a romanian world (he is from netherlands) and not knowing the language well and being annoyed by the starting quests he just created a tribe to skip them and then he got stuck solo in that tribe not being able to leave it for about a month, I was not fast enough to tell him about that setting, it was second time he played and he deleted his account after 4-5 players ganked him, without him being able to leave tribe or receive help from outside the tribe.
Another friend (he is still playing though) got kicked out of a tribe even if he was active tribe leader nobled it without warning or reason, he took a 7-8 months brake after that.

I could give you lots of such examples that make people run away from this game, but I think is mostly because they get bullied or they lack the required free time to compete against co-played accounts or pre-made tribes.
Won't give zakipoo as an example, is not like he'd send 6 attacks towards a rim player that's 45.000 points lower, with 1-2 sec gaps between nobles and then not sleep at night knowing that the player might receive support after joining a tribe, and that he didn't take morale into consideration and then go zerker threatening entire tribes. (if it's not allowed to name, a moderator please edit and remove his name)
Overall, I've played on many worlds, many servers and got lots of virtual friends in this game, but none of my IRL friends are still playing it after such things happening to them over and over, regardless of my efforts to keep their morale up and keep them trying. I'd say the morale needs a buff for players that are under 20.000 points and get attacked by players with 2 or 3 times that amount and above, if more newbs would pass 20.000 points it would keep them interested in this game, but getting owned when they just manage to reach 1000 at best, is just demotivating imho.

DeletedUser5561

aint that why the casual server is there? for players to go relax on? It is, after all, a war game not sim village

DeletedUser19130

Finding a truly immerse tribe.

This game is called Tribal wars for a reason. Without that sense of true commdority and friendship, teamwork, etc. New players will fall off quickly.

Back a few worlds ago, W52 there was a HUGE family tribe that the whole purpose of it was to take in active newbies and train them and then see if any of the tribes in that players area would want to take them in. It worked for a little while, but then it crumbled once the world started to take off and all the tribes in that family were targeted for food.

DeletedUser

I think there are a number of ways to help new players, but the backlash from experienced players would mean none of them get done.
1. Ban coplayers - It used to be ok when there was one or 2 players on an account, but these days it can up up to 4,5,6,7 and how can any new player compete when they may not know anybody?
I know players will argue that they don't have time to play ect... but its got to the point where people are using it to gain too bigger advantage and therefore it must be cut out for all.
2. Ban transferring flags - As pointed out, why do experienced players need any more help
3. Ban merging accounts - particularly early on where 2 players grow a village each then merge to gain advantage.
4. stop creating new worlds. - sorry but too many worlds. If all the players played on 1 world, imagine the fun.
If a player loses his village then he has to restart, not jump to the next world.
Combine this with no coplayers, everyone will have there own account, and you could end up with lots more players, lots more war and lots more fun.

The problem for me though has to be the community, and how we respond to new players, and more importantly veterans and how they respond.
TW made a world designed for noobs, the experienced players went there for an easy time.
TW made moral to help noobs who don't grow so fast, experienced players hired moral bashers.
TW made rims, so if a player gets rimmed they end up on it (meaning more noobs on the rim), players now wait to start a world days later so they end iup on the rim where its easier.

TW can do whatever it wants, but unless we support them then there is nothing they can do.

DeletedUser114584

I think there are a number of ways to help new players, but the backlash from experienced players would mean none of them get done.
1. Ban coplayers - It used to be ok when there was one or 2 players on an account, but these days it can up up to 4,5,6,7 and how can any new player compete when they may not know anybody?
How would that even work?

3. Ban merging accounts - particularly early on where 2 players grow a village each then merge to gain advantage.
How can you tell for sure if an account was a merge?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser114562

1. How would that even work?
3. How can you tell for sure if an account is merging?

1. Doesn't matter, people use VPS/VPN and invite a friend now via e-mail to be near him, reported such things from main account but is no way to prove it.
3. You simply delete one of the accounts and you make a deal to share the second one.

rodelxxz

Look alot of Players Go to top 10 without Co-players and account merges. They are just simply great players. So dont see why you Burn Co playing eventually these guys are not Gods they can be brought down to their knees.