A Bit Of Friendly Competition #2 (Round One - Voting)

• Thread starter Rock Star Incorporated
  • Start date

DeletedUser51929

If the comption scores where like golf I'd be a shoe in >:D

DeletedUser

Meh, congrats Dirty Trick on winning. Will probably vote tomorrow, still have to unpack.

DeletedUser

MM (10) vs G (0)
MD (0) vs GE (10)
Jay (1) vs Rsi (9)
Ty (4) vs (7) Dirty
Rshn (9) vs Matt (1)

mattoematt

No. 5 - Rockshine - I like both of these sigs once again but I can't help but notice the line of lightness difference ? to the right hand side of matt's attempt, just doesn't look right to me. Very good sig by Rockshine, this was also a tough call.

Was actually testing out an effect... which by your post went wrong :lol: But I was expecting to lose anyway and Rockshine's entry was exceptional. Glad i'm going to lose against a piece worth losing against!

DeletedUser

Was actually testing out an effect... which by your post went wrong :lol: But I was expecting to lose anyway and Rockshine's entry was exceptional. Glad i'm going to lose against a piece worth losing against!

Haha sorry to give it a negative first opinion. I'm sure if you practiced with it enough it could become effective in a good way. :)

queenangel

MM vs G - MM due to his compliance with siggy rules.

MD vs GE - Interesting idea MD. I like the text you have chosen here, and its placement. The lack of lighting though lends my vote to GEs very well balanced piece. GE, just be careful to not wash out your focal too much with lighting. A saxophone is almost naturally well light, so too much can lose the fine details. The notes are a very nice touch. Vote to GE

Jay vs Rsi - Jay, - nice lighting on his face and hands. The picture you found is a very nice one, with good texture already. I can see why it appealed to you. The overlay however, interferes with this nice image, and does not add to the feel that was so appealing about the original in the first place. Good text usage though. RSI - I am always a sucker for a good black and white, and you have captured some of my favorite things about them. The light source you have here is a bit too low for your lighting angles, and I would like to see you bump that text up a bit more visiable. Looking at the line on the bottom closely, I like it and the idea of it. However, at this size, it look like a layer is off :p Vote to RSI.

Ty vs Dirty - Ty you have some great texture here, but you are already very good at that. I really had to search for your text on this one though. Kinda like where's waldo. DT- I do not know if you created the light streaks around the guitar, but I would have liked to see that effect be more continous in the piece instead of localizing it. The flow of this piece would have greatly improved if there was one style instead of several. Keep an eye on your masking as well, as you have some edges that are very abrupt in your gradients here. One more note is the pixelization of your focal. I don't know what happened there or how. Overall though, i love the colors and your text in the piece. Vote goes to Ty, due to clarity and pulling off his overall vision of the piece.

Rshn vs Matt - I like them both. Original ideas, both with such different approaches, that I would pass them both on. RS, love this image overall, but you have some depth issues here. The cassette head is getting a bit lost in the background. Matt- great usuage of your tools to showcase the idea you are expressing, instead of showing off your tools. Color choices were also well choosen. Vote to Matt.

DeletedUser

MM (11) vs G (0)
MD (0) vs GE (11)
Jay (1) vs Rsi (10)
Ty (5) vs (7) Dirty
Rshn (9) vs Matt (2)

DeletedUser

Miister Man - No comment.
GE... (it's still small.. but seriously.. your small things are great.. keep 'em small) [Edit: everyone's is small... lol]
Rock Star Incorporated - Nice focus effect on the guy
Tyrael - 's splatter brushes always gives me the wow..
Rockshine - though adding a fading text would make it more epic.

DeletedUser

Meh, 7:6 to dirty trick. =/

Okay...

Miister Man vs. Geremy

I don't really feel the need to go over everything in depth. Miister Man gets my vote, because Geremy's seems to be nothing but text. =/

Miller d vs. Genetic Engineer

Miller's has a fine coat of pointless dots on it which really puts me off. The background colours green and purple just don't mix and the render isn't blended much. GE; good lighting, some great effects on the piece, though the focal of the render is smack bang in the middle and the curvy thing, which i assume is coming out of the instrument, looks more like it goes behind it. Even so, my vote here goes to GE.

Jaysizzle vs. RSI

Jay; the C4Ds just seem misplaced, as they are all over the focal and really draw away attention. It's sort of like drawing attention from the focal to the focal, but to the wrong part of the focal?
RSI; I'm not a fan of the borders much, though they aren't as bad as they could have been. I don't like the black and white too much either, i think it would have been much better in colour. On the other hand, the lighting is great and i absolutely love the text. The render is well blended and there is even some suggestion of low. You definitely get my vote on this one.

Matt vs. rockshine

Matt; i just don't quite get the (perhaps) over-saturation of colour, expecially around his leg. Also, you could have done a bit more to support the 'Explosion of sound' idea.
Rockshine; I feel in this sig black and white works really well, and makes the slight splashes of colour around the focal really stick out well. A good use of wireframe C4Ds, they aren't necessarily easy to get right. I would complain about the lack of border and text, but it actually works well to complement the sig. Today you get my vote.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Did great Tyrael :)

Now we just have to wait for RSI to make the next part thread :p

jdif

Meh, 7:6 to dirty trick. =/

Okay...

Miister Man vs. Geremy

I don't really feel the need to go over everything in depth. Miister Man gets my vote, because Geremy's seems to be nothing but text. =/

Miller d vs. Genetic Engineer

Miller's has a fine coat of pointless dots on it which really puts me off. The background colours green and purple just don't mix and the render isn't blended much. GE; good lighting, some great effects on the piece, though the focal of the render is smack bang in the middle and the curvy thing, which i assume is coming out of the instrument, looks more like it goes behind it. Even so, my vote here goes to GE.

Jaysizzle vs. RSI

Jay; the C4Ds just seem misplaced, as they are all over the focal and really draw away attention. It's sort of like drawing attention from the focal to the focal, but to the wrong part of the focal?
RSI; I'm not a fan of the borders much, though they aren't as bad as they could have been. I don't like the black and white too much either, i think it would have been much better in colour. On the other hand, the lighting is great and i absolutely love the text. The render is well blended and there is even some suggestion of low. You definitely get my vote on this one.

Matt vs. rockshine

Matt; i just don't quite get the (perhaps) over-saturation of colour, expecially around his leg. Also, you could have done a bit more to support the 'Explosion of sound' idea.
Rockshine; I feel in this sig black and white works really well, and makes the slight splashes of colour around the focal really stick out well. A good use of wireframe C4Ds, they aren't necessarily easy to get right. I would complain about the lack of border and text, but it actually works well to complement the sig. Today you get my vote.

Guys. I'm sorry, I completed my entry but my computer got a virus and I had to bring it in and they deleted all my work. I'm extremaly pissed. Good job tyrael. I'm sorry,. Good luck to all.

DeletedUser

"siggy rules"
"too much text"
i'm sorry but from my point of view as someone that does get paid for his per diem work
[spoil]
poster.jpg
[/spoil]
you have really done yourselves an injustice here.....I'm just not going to be nice about this anymore, leave you all as master of your domains, and go back to my commissioned work and the occasional sig request.

i knew i should have stayed as far away as possible from this group

jaysizzle

"siggy rules"
"too much text"
i'm sorry but from my point of view as someone that does get paid for his per diem work
[spoil]
poster.jpg
[/spoil]
you have really done yourselves an injustice here.....I'm just not going to be nice about this anymore, leave you all as master of your domains, and go back to my commissioned work and the occasional sig request.

What you do is completely different from what we do, for your line of work it is vital for text to stand out where as sigs deal with focals and text is a sub thing

DeletedUser

"siggy rules"
"too much text"
[spoil]
poster.jpg
[/spoil]

In all honesty, do you really think that text wasn't too much for such a small sig? I see where you are coming from, but even if you do come from a different line of work you should know the line between good amount of text and too much; yours had too much.

DeletedUser51929

"siggy rules"
"too much text"
[spoil]
poster.jpg
[/spoil]

Second time I'v said this in the space of 24 hours... Your just embarresing yourself... You lost, and tbh your sig isnt even partially good. But you kind of intend your better than the majority here because you get paid to make leaflets? whats that got to do with a sig contest?

well, Tra, none of us are going to miss you. And do please come back for the next comption, I'm glad your oponent will be glad with the easy win :icon_wink:

jaysizzle

Yeh i could do with an easy opponent for once. or i just needa make better sigs :/

queenangel

"siggy rules"
"too much text"
[spoil]
poster.jpg
[/spoil]

I understand exactly how you feel. I am also a professional in this, and sometimes the lack of judgement in pieces is disturbing. .lol. So let me clarify my judgment then. The piece itself was good, my problem was with the word hell, which is a word that would be questionable in a signature. In advertising, as I am sure you know, we do have to hit our target market, while complying with any restrictions there might be.

DeletedUser

I understand exactly how you feel. I am also a professional in this, and sometimes the lack of judgement in pieces is disturbing. .lol. So let me clarify my judgment then. The piece itself was good, my problem was with the word hell, which is a word that would be questionable in a signature. In advertising, as I am sure you know, we do have to hit our target market, while complying with any restrictions there might be.

Definitely nothing at all aside from the word 'hell'? Nothing?