Apoc-C : I salute you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

To elaborate on Andy's point...
The premise of the "Mars / Venus" book was simple (and accurate, I think)...

Men will focus on fixing the problem. When presented an issue, men will seek the solution. Once a course of action is decided, the issue is done. Men move on.
Women will focus on discussing the problem. When a solution is presented, it is discussed. Then the issue is discussed further. Then the solution is offered again. It is discussed again.

For men, the catharsis occurs when the problem is solved.
For women, the catharsis occurs when the problem is discussed.
Hence, the friction that occurs between men and women. Men get frustrated because they offer the solution and think women ignore it. Women get frustrated because they know what the solution is, but they want to talk about it.

The author said "men go to their caves" to think a problem out. Women go to their friends and family to chat.

I was just finishing Andrew's quote, it doesn't mean that all of us are that way. I know men that will nag more then my neighbour's great grandmother.

I certainly don't fit under that 'Venus' tag either and I am sure there are other women who do not (I'm sure SAB would agree). Maybe it has something to do with my astrological ruling planet being Mars.

No need to worry about me Peter, I have perfected the art of indifference :) There are very few things that get to me and you surely do not make that cut.. sorry.

Go Apoc, go?

DeletedUser

Somebody pinch me! I thought I just read that Bella stated that some elaborate configuration of the stars dictated her personality! Go figure... ;-)

merritt olsen

are we down to correcting grammar now?....lol I think I will use 4 dots from now on just to annoy you....

In any case PX is victorious over apoc c.....happy dance for PX.....:icon_razz:

i think someone here is in need of an ego boost especially after losing about half of your points in the last 4-6 weeks... ;P

merritt olsen

As I often say in response to your ramblings....

"Wow."

You really don't do a lot of philosophical debate, do you?
At the risk of taking this thread further off topic...
Stop for a moment and consider the meaning of what I wrote.

Do you think I've never heard the thing you argue? LOL
It's fairly pedestrian. It's the cliche. Love vs. Hate.
Duh.

Let me see if I can explain this to you (although I doubt you will honestly consider anything I say).

Love is an emotion. It takes energy and it can even consume a person. It is often irrational and people will behave in very self-destructive ways when in the grip of Love's power.
Hate can be described the exact same way.
You see, Bella, it takes effort and energy to hate. You have to CARE to hate. You must devote time and thought to hating someone.

HOWEVER...
If someone is truly not worth the time, effort, energy and intellectual investment... then they are not even worthy of hate. To truly NOT care about someone is to ignore him or her.

That is why the axiom exists... that the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference. I didn't make it up.
LOL
Go argue with some long-dead philosophers if you want to beat the hell out of your insipid response.

As for hitting the "ignore" button... if you truly think that ignoring A.S. is because of his awesome communication and debate skills, then I grossly over-estimated your intellect.

How about an analogy:
If your child is screaming in a store ... to the point of being insufferable... it's best to just leave the store and spare everyone else the misery.
But if the child is someone else's... and you've already attempted to entertain it with various toys and cooing... well... it's then best to leave the store yourself and spare your own sanity (and hearing).
I have merely exited the store to avoid listening to the insufferable crying baby.

Don't get so worked up over this. It's really not that big a deal. I worry you're taking this all to personally.

i have tried to show this to people all the time, but they fail to understand...the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference...

DeletedUser67005

^^ No. You either love something (someone) or you hate them, you don't feel indifferent. Perhaps there are a couple exceptions (you and Peter)...

DeletedUser

Oh no Merritt! Now you've done it! Now you'll be attacked for repeating that adage!

DeletedUser67005

^^ Her post states Mars, not the configuration of stars ;)

But you can't read this :p

merritt olsen

^^ No. You either love something (someone) or you hate them, you don't feel indifferent. Perhaps there are a couple exceptions (you and Peter)...

It's much like relationships between people. You love a person. Then when things go sour, you may hate that person. Eventually, you just become indifferent.

Love, then Hate, then Indifference.

Love, hate, and fear contrast with indifference in that they are all modes of concern with regard to some object. Indifference is simply a lack of concern.

so, the first 3 you have an emotional response and with indifference their is a total lack of emotion and therefor opposite..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q93Zu8e27Yg

as the woman says in the above video even if you nhate me you still feel something for me and i still have a chance...indifference is when you have no feeling at all for someone..

Last edited:

DeletedUser

everything he said

Double_Face_Palm_by_RIOTmon.jpg

DeletedUser

You tell me!

Let me break it down for the dummies out there :)

Andrew, at the end of your post you state 'Men are from Mars..' so at the end of my reply to you I say 'Women are from Venus'. That does not mean I believe in that rubbish, I was just finishing the statement to go along with you. You can never generalise about anything let alone the whole gender. I know men that nag and talk more then the drunken grandma at the bus stop. There are also women who will talk even less then your average male.

My remark about Mars being my planet was a continuance on the Mars/Venus thing. It was a joke Andrew. I'm not always serious like you :)

DeletedUser

It's much like relationships between people. You love a person. Then when things go sour, you may hate that person. Eventually, you just become indifferent.

Love, then Hate, then Indifference.

Love, hate, and fear contrast with indifference in that they are all modes of concern with regard to some object. Indifference is simply a lack of concern.

so, the first 3 you have an emotional response and with indifference their is a total lack of emotion and therefor opposite..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q93Zu8e27Yg

as the woman says in the above video even if you nhate me you still feel something for me and i still have a chance...indifference is when you have no feeling at all for someone..

Wow, you could not have proven my point any more perfectly. All things seek a balance. You love something, then you hate it, over time you become indifferent, because you are gravitating back towards the middle. This seems very difficult for you and Peter to understand, even though you continually prove the point.

To Peter: We are arguing the age old axiom, because in your statement you specifically state that the age old axiom is not true when you state "the opposite of love is not hate" you are refuting what is self evident (Although, let's face it, it's not actually an axiom because it is indeed a fact) No matter how much arguing you do, you can't escape the given definition of the two words in question, love and hate. They are opposites no matter how much philosophizing you do.

No offense to the video above, but as already stated the woman is an idiot, given two different people she would actually have a better chance with someone that was indifferent than someone that hated her, because they would be more receptive to change, given the one that hated her has more intense emotions against even beginning to have a working relationship with her.

This next example may be difficult for you, but when you go out to a bar or club or other establishment in order to attract someone, they start out indifferent to you. The people you will be approaching do not care about you, they do not know about you. Yet you still stand a decent chance of convincing them that they should want to know more about you and should no longer be indifferent toward you. However assuming the same situation you were to encounter someone you hated at the bar, you would have literally 0 chance of convincing them to do anything nice toward your being. This probably still isn't sinking in, but oh well.

Strangely you guys keep debating a single small aspect of the words love and hate in order to contrast them with indifference, yet at the same time you assert that hate is not the opposite of love. Truly mind boggling.

DeletedUser

My remark about Mars being my planet was a continuance on the Mars/Venus thing. It was a joke Andrew. I'm not always serious like you :)
Clearly you are because my response was a very obvious joke. I think I even winked! (See the second quote.)

Hence,

Seriousness(Andrew Done) << Seriousness(MSBella)

QED

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The wink was at the end of 'Go figure'. Your previous sentence ends with an exclamation mark so it doesn't come across as a joke. I guess it may have come across differently had it not been text only.

DeletedUser

The wink was at the end of 'Go figure'.
That's because that is the bit that is jokey. Doh!
Your previous sentence ends with an exclamation mark so it doesn't come across as a joke. I guess it may have come across differently had it not been text only.
That's because that bit wasn't a joke it was a response to your Are we looking...? comment in which you appear to have missed the reference I made earlier.

No wonder I am regarded as so miserable, you clearly don't actually read my posts and pick up that most of the time I am pulling your leg! Really, Bella, you make fun very difficult ;-)

DeletedUser

Somebody pinch me! I thought I just read that Bella stated that some elaborate configuration of the stars dictated her personality! Go figure... ;-)

You actually made me LOL because you have almost confused the c**p out of me. I decided to quote your statement this time, hehe. The "I thought I just.." statement by you is the one I was saying didn't come across as a joke due to the exclamation mark. My "Are we looking.." post was in reply to the above quote.

From now on I'll do my best to not take anything you say seriously ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.