Chit Chat

DeletedUser

Heres a forum thread we can use to talk. Seeing as we get bullied into not talking in all the other threads I think its only fair we have at least one thread that we can actually talk in.
Or a mod will probably find something to nitpick at and delete this or infract me...again

DeletedUser

Good idea, but I'mm sure there will be a good reason why you can't talk in it

Rules:
Offtopic Posting
Please post answers/comments that are relevant and relate/refer to the thread topic. If you cannot post a sensible answer it is better to avoid saying anything. This is particularly true for one-word-posts like "lol" or "rofl". posting in the Chit-chat thread is acceptable but your post must be off topic.

DeletedUser

well that's that dead then, even less people come in here than the main W48 forum.

File Not Found

Thread moved to general discussion sub forum. Generalized threads belong in general discussion, rather than the primary world forum.

That said, I can infract you "again" as you request Fraser, if you'd really like.

DeletedUser

Im sure you'd love to give me another point...
Oh and FnF discussing infractions is worthy of an infraction is it not? Meaning if you infract me...you should get one too.

DeletedUser

how do you get infraction ? Im really curious too see what it is , is it a mail by fnf saying " INFRACTION " ?

DeletedUser

You get a mail whith a quotation of your 'breach of rules' and a personalised message about it. You are then given a draft message in the second part of the mail that patronises you.

DeletedUser

Im sure you'd love to give me another point...
Oh and FnF discussing infractions is worthy of an infraction is it not? Meaning if you infract me...you should get one too.

I love this idea that the forum mods, while trying to moderate, break the rules and therefore should infract themselves as well.

If someone is speeding, how is a cop going to catch them without speeding as well? Sometimes, when you're entrusted with trying to get others to follow the rules, you HAVE to break them a little bit.

Or more fitting for this case. If a teacher is trying to get a noisy classroom to settle down a bit, how are they supposed to get the point across without yelling themselves, or otherwise attracting attention away from the noise? It's a loose metaphor; please don't get too caught up on it. The point is that sometimes, mods have to post off topic if others are doing it in order to get everyone to stop. It's to avoid issuing out giant hordes of infractions at once for people all breaking a similar rule.

Also, please don't play deputy moderator. Telling others what rules they're breaking and when they should get an infraction is, after all, against the rules. :icon_wink: Leave it to the mods, please.

DeletedUser

Yet you aren't a policeman, so its not really a good comparison.

Pretty sure you were a tad hypochritical in that last sentence, saying that telling people they are rule breaking is against the rules... When you more or less just erm, you more or less just did it.

DeletedUser

And along your logic I also can't compare a chimpanzee to a gorilla, since chimpanzees are not gorillas. Mods in this case can be either the chimpanzees or gorillas. Either will do, though I admit preference for the chimp.

The point of my entire post was when a mod to break the rules a tiny bit in order to attempt to amicably restore order to the situation, it is neither hypocritical nor infraction-worthy. What part of what I said is not leading to that point for you?

I'm more than happy to elaborate; I can be pretty long winded when I need to be. For you to say that a mod is breaking the rules when they post in a thread and trying to do their jobs, to me, is just silly. Yes, a post telling everyone to stop posting off topic likely has little to do with the actual topic they should be discussing.

But it's the most minimal amount of moderation possible. It's less than warnings, less than infractions and way less than bans. What would you prefer? Laissez-faire style modding in which anything goes and all off topic posting and spam are allowed as much as posters want? Sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but that's not going to be the case. Some amount of moderation is necessary for these boards.

If you don't agree and you want no modding at all, then I'm sorry, but you're simply not going to get your way.

I am curious, though. What, in your mind, should forum moderation be like? Apparently you don't want mods to post in the thread telling people to follow the rules when necessary. But you also want less warnings and infractions. Tell me, good sir. What, then, should we do? The amount of moderation on a forum is variable. The more you guys observe basic decency towards one another, the less we have to do. We don't moderate the same amount if people are following the rules.

You want less appearance from mods? Less posts where we "break the rules"? Less infractions/warnings?

Follow the rules more. Solved.

DeletedUser70293

I am curious, though. What, in your mind, should forum moderation be like? Apparently you don't want mods to post in the thread telling people to follow the rules when necessary. But you also want less warnings and infractions. Tell me, good sir. What, then, should we do? The amount of moderation on a forum is variable. The more you guys observe basic decency towards one another, the less we have to do. We don't moderate the same amount if people are following the rules.

Follow the rules more. Solved.

Is a forum moderators job not to make the forums free of abuse and enjoyable for the general public? How then is an oppresive die-hard approach going to make the forums a better place to post? If anything it promotes stagnation and a lack of enjoyable posting.

Following the rules more is certainly not the correct way to make the forums enjoyable. Moderators should censor blatantly insulting posts and basically nothing else, thus it would allow a world's forums to evolve into a form in which everyone on the world enjoys themselves.

Problem solved.

DeletedUser

Well Greenskin how about this; as my opinion of how you should mod.

You could be less like hitler by not telling us what to do as much. Step back a little and give us some more freedom like we had before you arrived because frankly your turning this place into a shit hole where everyone is arguing. Good thing is though we are all on the same side for once

[spoil]
File Not Found said:
shit is apparently not considered offensive on the forums here.
[/spoil]

DeletedUser70293

You could be less like hitler by not telling us what to do as much. Step back a little and give us some more freedom like we had before you arrived because frankly your turning this place into a shit hole where everyone is arguing. Good thing is though we are all on the same side for once
[spoil]
thumbs_up.jpg
[/spoil]

Sboh

Sorry but this is crazy, the forum was meant for light chat and it has turned into another arguement over the externals.. Both parties just calm down and speak off the forum and let the topic do what it was made to do.

DeletedUser

Dammit where is my like button?

DeletedUser

Alright honestly I have no problems with the moderators except what I already posted in the tread about rules but honestly I dont feel the mods are ruining the forums. I think while the forums have gotten a lot more activity recently that they have gotten a lot of personal and pointless arguments. That is why I personally quit posting in them and almost all w48 treads completely. The arguments aimed at people and that had no impact on the game were getting boring to read in the forums. I like when everyone joke and had a good time not when we all argued and fought like little kids.

DeletedUser

And what exactly have I done to be so Hitler-like (don't compare mods to Hitler outside of this one exception; I'm trying to play nice in order to get a better feel for what it is you guys are fighting for/against.)

I haven't done anything since "arriving". I've been the elder mod here for a while now, and nobody has complained until the past two days. And in those two days, I haven't really done anything or mandated anything that wasn't already mandated beforehand. You claim I'm too strict on off topic. I'm not. I have only gotten onto users twice on these forums for going off topic (maybe more, wanna go for 3?). And both times were to back up FNF.

I posted something that said to start following the rules, and warned people not to be shocked if they received notification from me rather than FNF. How is that overly strict? I'm just warning people and letting them know about a temporary policy. It's called transparency.

I haven't issued any infractions since posting that thread that I wouldn't have issued otherwise. I'm not going to issue any infractions that I wouldn't have normally.

For all of this talk of being overly strict, I feel I have done literally nothing to deserve it here. You're just accusing me of it because it gives your argument (which I still don't understand) credence.

You want lax modding. I'm saying that if you just observe, as a group, some basic rules of etiquette, you'll get it. I don't need you guys to follow the rules to a T on every single situation. I just need you to be willing to at least try to follow them.

I honestly don't understand where all of this is coming from. But as for the underlying idea that I see here of mods shouldn't do anything at all here because you guys don't like rules... I really am sorry. But that is not going to happen.