Continent Dominance Map

DeletedUser

Actually IIRC we're supposed to request it by ticket?

Check the map out now... 9 K's going on 10 :D

And a shame he changed the name before someone could make a joke about JPs shrinking Gonad.

DeletedUser

great work hippo, again, and again, and again....

@pyronix - i love those maps, some tribes vanished some get much bigger (look at tcspc). will not comment KNT

MasterFire

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I want an update atleast every 7 days to keep it stickied. I'll allow minor screwing around but keep it nice people.

DeletedUser

I want an update atleast every 7 days to keep it stickied. I'll allow minor screwing around but keep it nice people.

Not sure what you mean an update every 7 days. Do you mean we have to tell you to keep it stickied every 7 days?

Anyone?:icon_confused:

DeletedUser

el hippo certainly doesnt wallow about :D

great job that hippo!

Bedtime Bear

My god blue, that was a horrendous pun, you should hang your head in shame.

DeletedUser

Not a God, Bedtime.. just saintly ;)

..its £5 ($10) each to make me stop ...

DeletedUser

Every 4-6 hours...better than the original one. This actually turned out better for us! Thanks Hippo.

DeletedUser

Dude quality map. Any chance you could set one up for W15? Pretty please :)

DeletedUser

Hmm... Looks like I have some competition. I had the same dominance maps in W12 for about a week now. And just recently made one for W19. Although I am going to give out my code so a Tyrsis situation never happens again. As for taking the colors from twstats, I should have done that, hah.

DeletedUser

Hmm... Looks like I have some competition. I had the same dominance maps in W12 for about a week now. And just recently made one for W19. Although I am going to give out my code so a Tyrsis situation never happens again. As for taking the colors from twstats, I should have done that, hah.

I took a look at your map and it is pretty awesome. I didn't realize you had made one till I released my first revision in Tyrsis' old thread.

Our version runs every 4 hours and keeps historical maps for later reference. Everything is completely automated (it pulls data from KNT's comprehensive W8 MySQL database). We also have a beta time lapse viewer that allows you to view images in your browser (it's all done in javascript, so there's no huge animated gifs).

I don't plan on generating maps for the other worlds. I only play on W8 and it seems people are coming up with their own solutions for each world. I would rather not step on people's toes by creating maps that would pull attention away from the hard work others have put in.

DeletedUser

Yeah, mine is completely automated too. Mine pulls the data directly from the TW servers (I have no idea what that KNT thing is). Mine could be run at what ever interval I would like, I just prefer once a day because nothing ever happens much in TW anyways. As for making an animation, I guess I could just save the last 4-5 gif images and make a simple animation. But I never cared for it much, so I left it out.

The whole program will be given out for free probably in about a week or two. I got it down to running just one command and it will generate a map for any world I give it. And colors and families are easily changeable by just editting a txt file. But coming up with an initial list of colors was a pain in the ass. I will have to steal the colors from twstats like you, hah.

DeletedUser

The colors are actually chosen by our resident artist, Pyronixcore. Tribes that don't have an assigned color default to twstats colors for simplicity. The problem with twstats colors is that they clash (they have purples, grays, and reds defined multiple times).

Our database consists of the standard gzipped data dumps from the game. We have a cron job that automatically updates our MySQL database every hour, which is really useful because we have tons of tools that use this central database. We chose to do this because it reduces load on the server, and just makes tool development a lot easier.

Our choice of 4 hours was arbitrary. We could update as often as once an hour (restricted by TW rules). All of our stuff runs as cron jobs on linux, which allows us to literally choose any time to generate the maps.

Also, I would like to say that I am really impressed that you are going to give your application out. Ours is too dependent on our custom database setup that releasing it would do no good.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Yeah, mine was very custom too. I have been making it more and more general. I just need to improve the map more and make an installation script. But all someone needs is linux with access to their favorite c++ compiler, php, and crontab. Hah, I wish I had an artist. I had to hunt for colors from Tyrsis's old map and ask for some colors from airsofter in world 20. But a lot of the colors were just from me tweaking generic colors until they didn't clash as much.

The crazy thing is, no matter where I put the colors in my colors file, my map somehow finds a way to put colors that look similar to tribes that are near each other. Hah, I guess that is a problem when you have so many tribes scattered and touching each other. But once I put out the code, I am sure people will come up with some good color combinations.

Also, I started with mysql before. It was just too slow. Maybe because I didn't make the php and mysql code very efficient. That is why I switched over to C++. Now my C++ code is inefficient, but it is fast at being inefficient. So I don't complain anymore.

DeletedUser

With all the ex TRE going to KNT, if they go Bloc or Abloc that will most likely be the winner, they can almost sweep into most bloc/abloc territories of their choosing :icon_eek::icon_eek:

You need to also consider the fact that, they have not been in a major war for a long time so they are growing stronger and will have 100% focus should they come to blows with a major tribe, it would be hard to see who could withstand a mass surprise attack if they were ever to do it.

Their only downside could be boredom and innactivity.

DeletedUser

With all the ex TRE going to KNT, if they go Bloc or Abloc that will most likely be the winner, they can almost sweep into most bloc/abloc territories of their choosing :icon_eek::icon_eek:

You need to also consider the fact that, they have not been in a major war for a long time so they are growing stronger and will have 100% focus should they come to blows with a major tribe, it would be hard to see who could withstand a mass surprise attack if they were ever to do it.

Their only downside could be boredom and innactivity.

Get your own thread can't you see men of means are talking here! Well they sound intelligent to me with all their MySQL and gzipping. Does that stand for My SQUIRREL and Garter zipping? Who knows they may just be talking about their comuters for all I know!