Discussion: Update to version 8.16

DeletedUser

I agree with what Drew has said.

This is what happens when the dev team != longterm and hardcore players. I can see doing this because they want to appeal to a mobile device audience but who are you kidding? This game is played on a computer, not a phone.
I use the mobile app and they haven't updated anything on there. I'm also pretty sure they can make alternate updates for the app as they do the game on a browser online, so I don't think that is the reason why they did this.

DeletedUser

Where can I find that old-graphics package? I already used old css but I don't see ie. arrows to next/previous village.

The overall change is positive, though all graphic related changes are tragic. You should always leave the option for those who want to keep the old one. I used always classic because I never liked even that newer one, and current is drama -_-.

PS. Same goes for mobile app. Why should I use mobile app, if a mobile browser works much better?

DeletedUser

Where can I find that old-graphics package? I already used old css but I don't see ie. arrows to next/previous village.

The overall change is positive, though all graphic related changes are tragic. You should always leave the option for those who want to keep the old one. I used always classic because I never liked even that newer one, and current is drama -_-.

PS. Same goes for mobile app. Why should I use mobile app, if a mobile browser works much better?

Agreed. I use the browser too. The app simply suck ass.

DeletedUser

Another bug, while using old css (hosted on my own server) when I go to market and click on "Your own" link, it doesn't bring the window with own villages up. So I had to turn back to new graphic.

Also BTW., why I can't simply turn off (untick or w/e) custom css without completely removing path to it? Now if I would like to use again custom, I have to manually type the path again... Dumb as the changes making game kids-friendly.

DeletedUser

Agreed.

Merciful deities, WHY did you have to remove the "Classic Layout" option right when you implement the WORST graphical change yet?

Please bring back the tickbox for the classic layout so those of us who don't want to delete our accounts can still play in peace?

I hate the red bar at the top of the page (and have hated it since the big update which introduced it)
I hate the giant buttons
I hate that the buttons don't line up with each other (ie, in recruitment) but instead size to the text inside them - it makes the OCD in me scream
I hate the time it takes to get used to a new update, when I could be doing more productive things with my life than playing Tribal Wars.

Seriously, I've been talking about walking away from the game for some time now - this latest change (with no easy way to revert back) may be what pushes me over the edge.

couldn't agree more

roman01

Employ people who play the game, understand the game and understand what the base of premium paying users want you power hoarding numpties.

DeletedUser656

You don't need buttons to do ajax, ajax can be applied to links as well, I suggest you actually understand the subject you are talking about before fobbing people off in a public forum.

I don't see any mention of ajax in either Typhi's reply or his linked material?

This is what happens when the dev team != longterm and hardcore players.

Actually, that is incorrect.

However, just because the development team has played the game extensively it doesn't mean all of our changes will be agreed upon by hardcore/longterm players.

rascal-the-cat

However, just because the development team has played the game extensively it doesn't mean all of our changes will be agreed upon by hardcore/longterm players.

As a paying long term customer can I ask why the buttons have to be so oversized?

And why the colour scheme and style for the buttons bear no relationship to the style of the buttons/red background in the top bar? Aesthetically it's a mess. :S

Last edited:

Kyrwen

Absolutely agree with rascal-the-cat and many others.

What on earth were you thinking when you changed to these awful buttons?

They are horrendous. Shocking. Disgusting.

If there is no option to use the previous version I can't see me spending much time here - my eyes can't stand it. I've been here since W17 and lived though many changes - but this one is the worst one I have ever seen.

Please consider an option for individuals to revert at the very least; preferably a total rollback to the last version and get rid of this aesthetically offensive interface!!

Yuk

Deleted User - 832139

I beg to ask the question ... did the dev team load up the wrong graphics pack by mistake?

DeletedUser

If you really feel we need buttons everywhere to make sure we know where to click, can you at least make them all the same size instead of basing it on the size of the text?

DeletedUser

Further playing with the update...

I do really like the "less reloading and clicking" aspect of the update. The game is noticeably less sluggish, particularly when I have 50 tabs open with a dozen attack commands running &/or landing in each tab. This is a very worthwhile change to have implemented, and I approve whole-heartedly.

Also liking the move of Village- and HQ-specific settings to the "settings" tab. It never bothered me to have them on the HQ page, but having them under settings makes much more sense, and is probably a good idea for new users.

The graphics changes still drive me nuts. I understand wanting to make it easier for new users by drawing attention to the important action links/buttons, but ease of game play is going to be what makes them stick around - not big friendly buttons. The new graphics don't seem to make the game any easier to play - they are visually jarring, take up more space on the screen, and are inconsistently implemented (for example, the "recruit" page has big recruit buttons. The Academy still has the old action links. How does that help new players?)

I won't deny that graphics can make a game more appealing and lure in new players - particularly when this ostensibly text-based browser game is competing with pretty graphics-heavy browser games for our attention. But if that is the case, perhaps the next update can include options for customizing the game's look.

Maybe we could have:

- A toggle in Settings to choose large OR small buttons
- An option under Settings for HQs& Recruitment pages allowing images OR icons (or just text?) for queues.
- A way to customize your top bar (similar to how we customize our Quickbars)
- Different color options.

The last point - color- is why I absolutely hate the red bar at the top. I have trouble reading anything against a dark or red background. In fact, I have trouble reading anything next to a solid red area. I was one of those kids in school who needed colored overlays to be able to read handouts properly. On many video games I can compensate by increasing text size or adjusting the colors on my monitor, but with TW it was even easier - just keep the game set to Classic Layout, and everything was laid out against a light, neutral background.
Now, to see things clearly on the title bar or my quick bar, I need to set my browser to "Large font". (Do you know what "large font" does to those already huge buttons?) If there was a way to fix this, such as changing the color of the buttons or top bar to green or blue, or an option to hide the bar, that would be ideal. But I suspect that would take more work than just providing an option to revert back to an already functional system.

Thanks for all the work the TW team does with every update. Overall, the game keeps getting better. Unfortunately, if I can't read the text in the game or if it stresses me out to go through the motions of playing, soon Tribal Wars won't be the stress-releasing game I want to enjoy at the end of a long day.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

... and try to use the same font. Why use a different font for the recruit button? (and please don't answer "so it would fit" as it will only prompt more questions about the Cancel All button).

It's unbelievable that anyone could have considered that the village recruit screen could be in any way acceptable, the mess in lining up the input boxes is a basic mistake that anyone who has coded for any length of time knows to avoid.

DeletedUser656

We are currently trialing slightly smaller buttons with a different colour on our beta server.

DeletedUser656

... and try to use the same font. Why use a different font for the recruit button? (and please don't answer "so it would fit" as it will only prompt more questions about the Cancel All button).

Please can you be more specific? I'm not seeing any difference in fonts on Chrome on OS X.

DeletedUser

Currently I can't tell if I have the OK button (and other buttons) focused in Opera. Is there anything that could be done about that on TW's side?

DeletedUser656

Currently I can't tell if I have the OK button (and other buttons) focused in Opera. Is there anything that could be done about that on TW's side?

The buttons have a red border instead of black if focused, though this is currently quite hard to see.

DeletedUser74976

You say the classic graphics were dropped because of low usage and only the old school players were using it. Was it not the old school players that have been paying for years to buy premium points and support the game? This feels like a slap in the face. I am not against improvements but don't make changes just for the sake of making changes. I see no benefit to the new changes. Ugly and hard to read at a glance what is really happening.