Discussion: Update to version 8.22

DeletedUser

I used attack IDs to tag for my tribe mates. That's what I was talking about.

The luck bit was aimed at you saying now we had to rely on luck. Which is a statement I agree with. No one knows what times I'm online. So the success of hiding nobles is completely luck based. Unless you're devoted enough to figure out online times (you won't find a regular schedule for me). Which, we're back to disadvantaging the nubs that don't use the tools available.

Didn't we have to rely on luck before? Just, previously, it was the luck that the defender didn't know how to ID-tag, or didn't have an ID-tagging system available. And now it's the luck that they're not around. TW will always have an element of luck to it, even if it's just the fact that there are real people playing it and they do make mistakes.

DeletedUser

I don't know about you, but I send nukes (more than I think they'll kill) and nobles in as short a period of time as possible. And if they still defeat the noble attempt, good for them. When attacking, I always assume the defender will tag perfectly.
You got it wrong, though. Before it was luck that the defender wasn't around AND didn't ID tag. Half the variables = twice the luck in play. There will always be luck in everything. Even math. The idea is that, in skill based competitions, the luck factor will be reduced when possible to grant the player performing better an advantage that may overcome poor luck.

Not making excuses; giving as much supporting evidence as I can. I have been asked to sit specifically to tag incomings. And I've been in plenty of nubby tribes.

As I've already said, "not intended" is not an argument against something. 7 Unintentional Inventions That Were An Amazing Success

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

By the way, that article used to be titled "8 Inventions ..." until IDs were obfuscated.

:lol:

DeletedUser

AttackIDs weren't a success what so ever.

Agreed. They were a convoluted, complicated solution to offline tagging. It required a tribal effort, including a dedicated forum thread, constant updating of said thread, and a special script (useless for any other sort of tagging) to make ID-tagging even somewhat convenient. There was no publicly available documentation for a lot of the ID-tagging systems, and where it was available, it was difficult to find. Many people were completely unaware of the existence of attack IDs or ID-taggers.

To compare the unintentional advent of ID-tagging to the unintentional discovery of penicillin is asinine. Penicillin saved lives. ID-tagging did nothing of the sort. Even Post-It notes were more useful than ID-tagging was. And the Slinky was infinitely more fun, for everyone.

There is a legitimate discussion to be had about incorporating the idea of offline tagging into the game. But Attack IDs were never a viable long-term solution to that problem.

DeletedUser

My super secret sorter script that's the first script listed in the "all approved scripts" thread?

DeletedUser105718

My super secret sorter script that's the first script listed in the "all approved scripts" thread?
Because that has a lot to do with his post. You basically did this:

Agreed. They were a convoluted, complicated solution to offline tagging. It required a tribal effort, including a dedicated forum thread, constant updating of said thread, and a special script (useless for any other sort of tagging) to make ID-tagging even somewhat convenient. There was no publicly available documentation for a lot of the ID-tagging systems, and where it was available, it was difficult to find. Many people were completely unaware of the existence of attack IDs or ID-taggers.

To compare the unintentional advent of ID-tagging to the unintentional discovery of penicillin is asinine. Penicillin saved lives. ID-tagging did nothing of the sort. Even Post-It notes were more useful than ID-tagging was. And the Slinky was infinitely more fun, for everyone.

There is a legitimate discussion to be had about incorporating the idea of offline tagging into the game. But Attack IDs were never a viable long-term solution to that problem.
'zomg He said script!'

DeletedUser

What are you talking about???

My tagger has a "Sent Time" on it. If my send times are out of order when I sort by ID, my tags are off.

I guess TakTimer is something people are also completely unaware of? (Same thread ... you do have to scroll a bit, though. I can see how many people wouldn't think to do that.)

Even without TakTimer though ... division isn't some lost art yet, is it? Hmmm ... 24 hours ago IDs were 100k less, and this ID is 20k less than now.

DeletedUser105718

You replied to a very small part of his point and ignored everything else he said.

DeletedUser

Most of his post was about specific taggers. Not IDs and their applications in general. I don't feel the need to reiterate what others have said multiple times about the utility and fun factor of IDs. If it's so useless, why take it away?

To respond to (I think) the only point I didn't: If you're not willing to research the game you're playing, you don't deserve to be playing at the level of the people that do.

DeletedUser

If you want to talk about ignoring the majority of a post, how about this one? I'd already (multiple times) said that lack of intent does not equate to reason for removal. You claimed my first analogy was poor (it was not), and you claim this does not parallel (it does). But what about doubling the luck factor? Care to comment on that?

'7 Unintentional Inventions That Were An Amazing Success'
'That Were An Amazing Success'
'Success'

AttackIDs weren't a success what so ever.

DeletedUser105718

Most of his post was about specific taggers. Not IDs and their applications in general. I don't feel the need to reiterate what others have said multiple times about the utility and fun factor of IDs. If it's so useless, why take it away?
It was taken away because it was not meant to be used that way. I doubt that it was even meant as a feature for players. It's not for you to say how the game should be played, nor does the removal of attackIDs influence most players playing tribalwars.

To respond to (I think) the only point I didn't: If you're not willing to research the game you're playing, you don't deserve to be playing at the level of the people that do.
Okay, I agree with you. I'm going to build a bot that farms/attacks/snipes for me automatically. It is illegal you say? Why? If others aren't willing to create a bot themselves, why shouldn't I use it?

If you want to talk about ignoring the majority of a post, how about this one? I'd already (multiple times) said that lack of intent does not equate to reason for removal. But what about doubling the luck factor? Care to comment on that?
I replied to a completely different statement. You ignored most of what he said.

You claimed my first analogy was poor (it was not)
"While cleaning, I found $1000. But I didn't intend to. So I burned it." You're talking about a very specific case. One that is stupid, absurd and has nothing to do with the removal of attackIDs.

and you claim this does not parallel (it does).
It was already replied to by Dawolf well enough.

DeletedUser

It was taken away because it was not meant to be used that way. I doubt that it was even meant as a feature for players. It's not for you to say how the game should be played, nor does the removal of attackIDs influence most players playing tribalwars.

Do you think I didn't see this the first 100 times it was said? Neither of those is a reason to do something. A reason would be "there were negative unintended consequences" or "it negatively affected people playing TW". Neiher of which have you tried to say or support (unless I missed something pages ago).

Okay, I agree with you. I'm going to build a bot that farms/attacks/snipes for me automatically. It is illegal you say? Why? If others aren't willing to create a bot themselves, why shouldn't I use it?

... Because it's illegal. But please, suggest to Inno that they should be and support your suggestion. I think people will have some fairly reasoned explanations for why it should not be allowed. If it becomes legal, then I'll try to find a better bot than you have.

I replied to a completely different statement. You ignored most of what he said.

What, that he said, did I ignore?

"While cleaning, I found $1000. But I didn't intend to. So I burned it." You're talking about a very specific case. One that is stupid, absurd and has nothing to do with the removal of attackIDs.

Not at all. I'm talking about positive unintentional outcomes. They didn't intend for IDs to be used by players. However, the game became more fun as a result of them.

It was already replied to by Dawolf well enough.

Again, just saying that IDs aren't positive isn't support of the argument that IDs aren't positive. Circular reasoning is fun, though, right?

DeletedUser

Not at all. I'm talking about positive unintentional outcomes. They didn't intend for IDs to be used by players. However, the game became more fun as a result of them.

ID-tagging was NOT fun for everyone. It was an imbalance further separating the 1% of top TW players from the 99%. It was a huge advantage that nobody should ever have been allowed to have.

If everyone had access to ID-tagging I'd have no issue with it. But only some people having that advantage over others is absurd. I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did, in retrospect.

DeletedUser

Only the top 1% have a legitimate chance of winning a world, even without ID tagging. Removing it just means that now only those of the top 1% that have 24/7 coverage have the advantage you're talking about.

The top 1% will outpace others in every other aspect so that they can miss tags and still make the other 99% non-competitive.

This is more of an issue for me on my 99% worlds than my 1% world.

DeletedUser

Only the top 1% have a legitimate chance of winning a world, even without ID tagging.
That's an absolutely absurd statement. You are suggesting that only top players will win, so we should ignore the concept of game balance and a level playing field so the top 1% (who are not the majority of Inno's income afaik) can have more fun.

I guess that's where we differ. You care mostly about yourself (assuming you are in the top 1%) and how you can have more fun, whereas I pay attention to other people and how they can have more fun.

DeletedUser

I'm saying that you can't level the playing field between different skill levels. So you should level the playing field between similar skill levels.

Also, like I said, the amount of fun is increased greater on the world where I'm in the bottom 99%, because I can somewhat compete against a larger player. They can't just mass fake me and run me out of troops to snipe/defend with by making me defend 1000 untagged trains.

And again, if you don't do the minimal research it takes to find attack ID functions, you aren't really trying to compete with the top 1%

But I appreciate the personal attack. Thanks for that.

DeletedUser

I'm saying that you can't level the playing field between different skill levels. So you should level the playing field between similar skill levels.
You define the playing field as something very different than what it actually is. Everyone playing a TW world is on the same playing field.
The top players are not in a different universe. The less-skilled players can still affect them. And nobody should be arbitrarily held back in doing so by a tilted playing field.

Also, like I said, the amount of fun is increased greater on the world where I'm in the bottom 99%, because I can somewhat compete against a larger player. They can't just mass fake me and run me out of troops to snipe/defend with by making me defend 1000 untagged trains.
You're literally making my point, you have an advantage other players don't in ID-tagging.

Also, if someone sends me 1000 trains while I'm offline, good game to them, that's mightily impressive, and they should win if they put in that much effort.

And again, if you don't do the minimal research it takes to find attack ID functions, you aren't really trying to compete with the top 1%
Minimal research? Yes. But most of the battle is knowing what to look for. Many people didn't know attack IDs were a thing. And there were not a lot of guides available to explain.

But I appreciate the personal attack. Thanks for that.
Wasn't intended as an attack, simply as a statement. Caring more about your own fun isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Bo-John-bo

Only the top 1% have a legitimate chance of winning a world

I'm well on my way to winning my second world and I know people about to win their third and we are no where near the top 1%. Skill and id tagging won't win you a world. It sounds to me like you want id tagging back because it made things easier for 'you' and not the general player.

DeletedUser

You define the playing field as something very different than what it actually is. Everyone playing a TW world is on the same playing field.
The top players are not in a different universe. The less-skilled players can still affect them. And nobody should be arbitrarily held back in doing so by a tilted playing field.

"Arbitrarily held back"? By a tool available to everyone? That gives an advantage to solo players? Which is the majority of "less-skilled" players?

On w74, there are about 30,000 players. Rank 300 is at about 40k points. The top 50 are about 4x that size. Below rank 600 there seems to be a significant drop. So you could say it's less or more than 1%, but the fact is that those are the players who are competitive.

Points aren't the end-all be-all of skill, obviously. I'm just saying that you can take us all back to free play and those players are still going to have an advantage.

You're literally making my point, you have an advantage other players don't in ID-tagging.

They had ID taggers too. They're also 24/7ed.

Also, if someone sends me 1000 trains while I'm offline, good game to them, that's mightily impressive, and they should win if they put in that much effort.

Really? So ID-taggers are unfair advantages. Fake train scripts and opera shortcuts are effort. And hitting the 20% of sleeping time by chance is, similarly, effort. And sufficient reason to give "arbitrary" advantage.

You don't think people that put the effort into finding, maintaining, etc. deserve an advantage, though. Just the people that look for fake scripts and opera shortcuts.

Minimal research? Yes. But most of the battle is knowing what to look for. Many people didn't know attack IDs were a thing. And there were not a lot of guides available to explain.

... -->Scripts and Independant Tools --> Incoming Scripts --> TakTimer "Estimates launch times of attacks"
"Hmmm, I wonder how it does that?" -->clicky linky --> Attack ID guide

Wasn't intended as an attack, simply as a statement. Caring more about your own fun isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Ok Ayn

Maybe the difference between us is that I love to see defense and you like offense?
Because that's how this swings things. Obfuscation doesn't level the playing field. It makes offense easier, and defense harder.

Can't say you're alone. Seems like every competition is going toward scoring more. NBA basically removed offensive fouls this year. After making a "charge-free" zone *smh*.