Forum First Aid

G10NK

Ok, so this forum needs help. Here is what I think needs to happen to save it from dieing out completely. Anyone who can add points/argue the failiures of my own will be much appreciated.

1. More original content. Please, I have tried (a while ago) but lets face it, its not my strong point :p Ruud, any chance of getting your old threads active?

2. Less severe bans on regulars. I know this may sound strange, but for all their rule-breaking people like p0mmy and The Lewder are helping to keep this forum operational, can we have less bans for people like this please?

3. Bans for idiocy. I attempted to quit because of these people (like marshal). This is not a "Ban enemies of g10" request, but we could do with less "1337" speak and abuse by people hidden by aliases.

4. Help the mod. Bless him, he hasn't exactly got the funnest job around, so mail him if you can help.

5. Less noob-bashing. We were all new once, we all made the mistakes (although some less publicly) that these "new" noobs make, but if we just flame every single one out of the forums how are they going to improve thier posts and become respected members of the comunity?

DeletedUser

1. Yes, we need more original content.

2. All infracts I've recieved are somewhat justified, however I've felt tempted to appeal some recent ones. And p0mmy I'd think would be the same. He's made a lot of one-word posts in W38, and considering his high level of spam I'm not surprised he is banned. But we have to keep in mind ban-discussion is to be done with Elder Mods, not procrastinating on the forums - though I somewhat agree :icon_biggrin: IMO I'm not surprised bans occur for me regularly considering the amount of pure spam I've made.

3. Once again, we cannot ban for idiocy. However, we can ban Marshall10 for having Shellybeans as his in-game alias. (Oops, did I say that :icon_eek: pfffftttt.... dropped le bomb :icon_cool:)

4. I agree with this. The recent modding has had some a lot of criticizm from the mods, to the point where the Top 15 opinions thread at first turned into a mod-bashing thread (which may I say is met with harsh punishments :icon_wink:)

5. Noob bashing is fun. Its like quarantine. We get rid of the weak nubs who all they do is cry if they fail, and we keep the good PnP players. I think we could be a bit more accepting of pyker and the like, however the noob bashing of Bullet Fail got rid of him soon enough. :)

Nice thread G10NK, I see this being moved to general discussion, however.

DeletedUser

Re: #2 Lewder, this is why it's good that we constantly get new mods. It means they develop an opinion of people instead of growing one over time and having it cloud their judgment. That being said I'm still scratching my head waiting for a response from the Elder Mods On High about something, but we'll see.

#3, no bans for idiocy -- the community can police itself. That said, I think there should be rules on this forum that state you must post as yourself. No aliases, especially not for ban evading, ala Broly.

#5, if you can't come here with an ability to write intelligently, you deserve to be bashed. I'm not saying you need to write intelligently and factually, in many cases new posters are flat-out wrong about things, and that's fine. But there's no excuse for not knowing how to write if you're going to post to a forum. Unless English is a second language, that is -- and if it is, you don't get to be upset when people correct you. I'd expect it if I went to a Spanish forum, because my Spanish sucks.

DeletedUser

I can't believe I am saying this, but I actually agree with you on a couple things quelgash :p

#3 I agree, people should not be banned for being stupid, the community WILL police itself. There is one problem with the latter part of that statement though. Sometimes ingame names are taken. For example, I was not able to choose "Beyla" because it was already taken. I do not hide that fact though and maybe that is the difference.

#5 I agree with you on this point as well. I think that what happens all too frequently though is that people get bashed for stating opinions that other people deem to be incorrect or false. Yes, there is some bashing for just flat out being a bad writer, but more often than not it is a disagreement on what someone said. We should encourage people to post, not make this forum a place where no one feels comfortable posting because it is filled with "the know it alls" who will "flame me a new one because I am a noob".

DeletedUser

I can't believe I am saying this, but I actually agree with you on a couple things quelgash :p

Hey, even stopped clocks give the right time twice a day, right?

Sometimes ingame names are taken. For example, I was not able to choose "Beyla" because it was already taken. I do not hide that fact though and maybe that is the difference.

Right, and that's fine. For instance, darkaniken2 from our tribe is now RafKory because he took over a new account. He doesn't hide that fact. I'll agree with what you're saying here and clarify that what I mean is that no one should be permitted to post while hiding who they are. Whether their IG name is the same as their account name is irrelevant.

That being said, it would've been nice if the forum accounts simply had to be the same name as the poster's account name -- to my knowledge account name cannot be replicated, even on other worlds. Like no one can be "quelgash" on W38, only I can do that. So if there was a quelgash on the forum, he'd be the guy in whatever world(s).

#5 I agree with you on this point as well. I think that what happens all too frequently though is that people get bashed for stating opinions that other people deem to be incorrect or false.

I think you're right, and for the most part I try not to do that, saving my ire for those few posters who manage that unique mix of poor writing and absolute nonsense. Powerbonds and I disagree often, due to our stances as leaders of two tribes at war -- but I would welcome him into CoD as a good person and I hope he feels the same about me being in EXP. That's because our debates are always civil.

I'll give FFR props too, who seems to be actively making an effort to clean up his reputation and leaving me now feeling like I need to be more respectful to him. Which, IMO, is a good thing. I'd much rather change my attitude due to positive stimuli than negative ones.

darkaniken2

Damnit Q. I was hiding from auto because he's an idiot. :D

Anyway, I agree that bans for stupidity would end in killing these forums. However, any new people coming to the forums should expect to be bashed. Those of us who have been here for a long time have built up relations and knowledge about the workings of this world, something new people won't have. However, bashing should be kept to an ingame sense, and anything getting personal should be an instant ban. This is a game.

DeletedUser

I'll leave this here for now (keep it hush though, as I'm fairly certain it should be in General Discussion) as it is a good thread and it warrants more attention than it would receive in general discussion.

[spoil]1. More original content. Please, I have tried (a while ago) but lets face it, its not my strong point :p Ruud, any chance of getting your old threads active?[/spoil]

Yea, I like this idea. I think that some of the pnp on these forums need a greater degree of eloquence. They are good, but it needs a less of the "We are warriors <fail pic> they are fat kids <fail pic> We iz spartanz <dis is sparta>". Remember, if you need a proof reader or even advice on your pnp before you post it, mail it to me or mail me and ask for my Skype ID so I can try to be of help to you.

[spoil] 2. Less severe bans on regulars. I know this may sound strange, but for all their rule-breaking people like p0mmy and The Lewder are helping to keep this forum operational, can we have less bans for people like this please?[/spoil]

Whilst I agree they make this forum more active, their additions are often futile and they break the forum rules. I must admit though, The Lewder is proving to be a pretty awesome person on these forums and hopefully after these bans other people can reform and be good little posters.

[spoil] 3. Bans for idiocy. I attempted to quit because of these people (like marshal). This is not a "Ban enemies of g10" request, but we could do with less "1337" speak and abuse by people hidden by aliases.[/spoil]

Well, I wish I could ban for idiocy sometimes. But unfortunately, we can't do that. Unless someone is being a spamming nubbie on the forums. If you think someone is acting like an idiot, just PM me and I'll try and talk it out with them.

[spoil]4. Help the mod. Bless him, he hasn't exactly got the funnest job around, so mail him if you can help.[/spoil]

I enjoy it, this world is a better group than my previous worlds the first time I was a mod. Just if y'all could stop with the pointless spamming, we'd get along much better.

Good thread, keep it on topic.

G10NK

Well, I wish I could ban for idiocy sometimes. But unfortunately, we can't do that. Unless someone is being a spamming nubbie on the forums. If you think someone is acting like an idiot, just PM me and I'll try and talk it out with them.

Could we maybe make a thread (which you then lock and stick :3) to name and shame people who act like idiots? With you as the decider, of course. Like, if you act like a tit then you go on the shame list for a week?

DeletedUser

Much as I would favour bans for stupidity with virtual stocks and rotten tomatoes it isn't really a pracical option so all we are left with a hope that the level of discourse stays vaguely intelligent without too much I iz 1337 you iz noob FAIL.
Ultimately it is the game and your success or failure there that matters and not the forums.

DeletedUser

Could we maybe make a thread (which you then lock and stick :3) to name and shame people who act like idiots? With you as the decider, of course. Like, if you act like a tit then you go on the shame list for a week?

Nah. I'd say the mod would have to follow rules and as much as he'd like it - give it the geschlossen.

I think #5 is a direct consequence for #3. Most new people here are idiots, therefore we're bashing the idiots e.g. auto14, Marshall10 etc.

@dchogs -> :icon_redface: I'm trying to put some more thought in my posts and not mention how much I spam lol

@quelgash -> #2 I disagree with. If you get a good mod (even if they are new), act fairly and comment among the public sometimes you'll get a good mod - hence why I never liked mccorn too much, yet Atomic Cloud, though he lurked quite a bit - ended up participating with a few nice posts. xElla in W23 forums was problably one of the nicest mods. At the start everyone hated her for bringing their spam days to the end, but eventually she stayed long-term, made some nice posts while moderating and was quite successful. The fact W22 has never had regular modding and most of the mods we've had just geschlossen and only make 1 post every week really shows that W22 lacks decent poster-moderator relationships.

#3 I agree with. We've seen piles upon piles of aliases here going 'd3ths plans i tell all' or 'apocalips implozum' and all they do is cause a nuisance. Broly is onto 'Legendary Smurf' now. I opt not to ban-evade for the reason I know people get bans extended for 1-2 months, and the longest I've had is three weeks. Not worth it. Though aliases cannot be avoided completely. I could use The Smurfder if I wished.

#5 is really instead of #3. Instead of banning the noobs, we willingly force them to explode, begin swearing and get banned or survive through the test of time and come though. I was noob bashed for 1-2 months, it just makes a poster stronger - we do not want someone who runs off and cries when he conceeds a point.

DeletedUser

Damnit Q. I was hiding from auto because he's an idiot. :D

Anyway, I agree that bans for stupidity would end in killing these forums. However, any new people coming to the forums should expect to be bashed. Those of us who have been here for a long time have built up relations and knowledge about the workings of this world, something new people won't have. However, bashing should be kept to an ingame sense, and anything getting personal should be an instant ban. This is a game.

Why should new people expect to be bashed? Should it be pointed out and explained why they are wrong? absolutely! It should be done in a way that fosters the desire to be right the next time though, not make them scared to participate on these forums.

DeletedUser

Why should new people expect to be bashed? Should it be pointed out and explained why they are wrong? absolutely! It should be done in a way that fosters the desire to be right the next time though, not make them scared to participate on these forums.

Some new people should be bashed. If they talk sense like yourself, they should be allowed in. But new people like auto14 deserve to be bashed. And with some mods RL insults = instant ban.

DeletedUser

Some new people should be bashed. If they talk sense like yourself, they should be allowed in. But new people like auto14 deserve to be bashed. And with some mods RL insults = instant ban.

I agree, SOME new people should be bashed if they talk like imbeciles. I was referring to the well reasoned newbs...

...and I'm not exactly new Lewder, I just don't post much...I prefer to watch from the background :)

I guess you could say that I'm new to the forums as a poster. Point taken.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Bashing newbs is the best way to teach newbs how to post properly. Admittedly, it doesn't work on all of them, but bashing them is still fun.

Any seasoned poster can tell you that they all went through it. I know I did, and I know Lewder has.

As for bringing life back into these forums, some new PnP would be really good for that.

DeletedUser

Bashing newbs is the best way to teach newbs how to post properly. Admittedly, it doesn't work on all of them, but bashing them is still fun.

Any seasoned poster can tell you that they all went through it. I know I did, and I know Lewder has.

As for bringing life back into these forums, some new PnP would be really good for that.

My spam is like fossil fuels. They are sustainable for sometime, but eventually the forums die anyway. It is very hard to just enter a forum and become instantly right.

Its generally the events which provoke high forum activity. The big VS. drama (along with Christmas Break) cooked up a storm of a forum environment. The server down time did quite the same thing - everyone was like 'wth lolz' and it became hit newsp pretty quickly. My PnP foreshadowing Dan's return and D3TH's hugs alone with Bullit Fail's epic failure generated a high user tally too. But right now a lot of people are busy in-game with wars (several weeks since the last declaration) and there is no news.

The forums are like TV - right now we've got those 2 am Christian TV and/or 1950's shows on attracting little attention. Its not the volume of posts - its how interesting everything is.

DeletedUser

So basically, lets see some more tribes warring! :lol:

Well there is alot of tribes warring like all of top 20 but idk what the others are doing there all quite maybe we should get rid of them first :icon_razz:
No seriously why wont RVN or apollo or those tribes do anything .... I bet the lewder knows... LEWDER give me an answer :lol:

DeletedUser

That doesn't generate action. The whole world is at war - yet forums are dead. What we need is a good rumour. If rumours began circling that a collapse similar to that of the Smurfs was about to take place in a tribe like RBE there would be a lot of action.

DeletedUser

Yeah, we're all warring. The difference is now the world is old... so what you end up with is long-term conflicts and very little change.

DeletedUser

Yeah, I know. Nobody from the little noob tribes really comes on here, yet those are who we need to liven up the PnP. :icon_cry: