Hippos' Troop Build Discussion

DeletedUser

What is this?

This is a discussion about troop builds between the members of Hippos a tribe in W16. It is from the time when they(we) were #1 and the people who wrote this are truly experienced in this game I might add. Basically it is like a guide, comprised from different opinions and fancy, colorful graphics. I cannot really tell which players wrote this, because a lot of time has passed, but still it might prove useful:

START​

Post #1​

A word of intro. I am quite an experienced player when it comes to attacking, probably even considering all the stars we have here. However I will ONLY talk about Offensive armies as my experience in D is not enough to make me write anything.

Additionally, i might add from my experience Cavalry Offence was better to have then Infantry. This is because there are 2 types of players we will come to fight.
1) Noobs: Really bad look at HC and say: "Wow man! luk her this guyz got da best statz!". Some better ones will have swords as the are the most efficient unit. Both kill axes.
2) Experienced players. Have a lot of HC for same reasons as first noobs, BUT know how to use it. It is always better to hit a HC stacked village with LC's then axes.

I will refer to 3 O builds here. Troop numbers given below (rounded as i don't want to bore you), rams are not included for a simple reason I do expect anyone to be able to upkeep a smaller then 3.5k pop O village. If you plan to max O villages out, you might as well stop reading now. Take the ram numbers to verge between 300-400 depending on the size of village.

Normal: 5900 Axes - 3250 LC
Openeye: 11500 Axes - 1250 HC
OE - LC: 6750 Axes - 1200 LC - 1250 HC

First thing we really want to know is how powerful these armies are! However my graphs will add a time factor as we of course don’t want an army that is building too slow to be useful!

(the less time the better)
firste.png

We can clearly see that Normal has the best time and strength! So why the hell do we at all look at OE's 2 builds? Well, the truth is they help with defence.
The 1250 HC's in each strategy OE has come up with grant us 1 freebie full D village for every 3 O's we build which means we can have more offence which balances the power and time! This way we can have 3 O villages for every 2 D villages.

Normal is stronger (by 3% lol) and takes only HALF!!! of the time to build then Openeye. Speed is VERY important on such a slow world. However, this means it uses the resources twice as fast. Has no defence in O villages for quick support and so requires a higher ratio of D:O villages.Normal is more flexible not allowing players to make a counter strategy

OE + LC is the middle ground. It is the weakest BUT it has a good build time of only 21 days. This is two weeks less then the Openeye Strategy. Secondly, it combines speed with Defence as it has the same defencive quantities as it's much longer to build cousin. It however eats up INSANE amount of iron, during the 3 weeks you build it your 2 O's would eat up iron from 3 villages. This requires high markets and a lot of activity on markets :( This makes it a good strategy for someone who has time.

The below shows effiency of how much of an O you can build per day:

second.png

Clearly, when we need to take a part in an Op in 2 weeks and are weak we should go for the Normal Build.

But, if we take part in a long term war against a skilled opponent who manages to counter-attack painfully overall the LC strategy is more efficient.
------------------------------------------------------
Cliffs:

Normal: Easily managed, efficient, powerful and limited resource juggling. Eaily adapted. No Defence. Limited amount of O:D villages. Not "stacking friendly" = weak against surprise attacks.

Openeye:
No need for market trading. Has quick defense. 3 O's to 2 D's Requires a lot of activity. Takes VERY long.

OE + LC:
Is fast and efficient. Has quick defense. 3 O's to 2 D's Needs huge markets in D villages. Always needs iron. Weakest of all 3. A lot of time spent sending resources.

Post #2​

I am assuming you will have ~100 merchants in an O vil maybe less and a ful lvl 25 market in a D village. (bare in mind you will send to, not from the O's most of the time)

For below D village strengths i used a:

8k sp /2k HC build 1:1 ratio of D:O as Normal
11k sp / 1250 HC build 3:2 ratio as OE

There is a difference of ~25% in efficiency of both, but remember i assumed OE player had time to stack villages from O.
Secondly, although the 25% is not so much, remember the OE player also has 1 more O village at his disposal.
Thirdly, remember that the OE player took longer to build and will need to rebuild his O's as well after attacks hit due to losses in HC.

third.png

Post #3​

hey guys,

I have come up with another O possibility, I haven`t tried it yet, but it looks promising. It`s pretty similar to the OE-LC strat from Sacredfool, but with more lc and less HC.

fourth.png

At the top you see how many days each strat takes.

classic D: 10k sp/sw (edit: there is a little time bug here, I`ll edit it tommorow)
Sp/Hc: 8k sp/ 2k HC
Classic O: 6000axe, 3300lc
OE`s O: 11500 axes, 1150hc (on the graph there are 500 axes missing, that`s why the strenght should be higher)
My O: 6700 axes, 1600lc, 1000 HC

This gives exact the same building time in barracks/stable, so a good efficiency. The smithy would look like this:
sp:3
sw: 1 or 2
ax:3
lc:3
hc:3
rams: 1 or 2

It all depends on the support you get from allies/tribemates.

The D vills look like this: 10k spears, 1500HC, 200 cats.
Scout vills: 8000 sp, 5500 scouts, 200 cats.

With a ratio of O,D,S vills like this: 6:3:1
This gives you a pretty well balanced D army of (If you manage to stack it with all your troops): 38000spears, 10500HC.

Why I prefer this over the 1250HC O army?

You need to many spears to keep a balanced D army, and in your D villages, it`s already the spears who take the longest time to build. And with 1250HC in the O vills, you`ll need more then 10k spears in the D vills.

So this is all made to cut down the time, keep a balanced D ratio, and have a fairly less effective O army, but still a little more effective then the 1250HC/LC one. And another very big advantage, as sacredfool already mentioned, in most of the villages you`ll attack, you`ll meet more swords,HC`s compared to spears, that`s why I like to have more cavalry, even if you think that the axes are so effective, in most cases you`ll be better off with your cavalry.

Let`s see what you think about this, I am open to any suggestions, and I haven`t tried it out myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I am quite a big fan of the HC / Axe nuke but I havent tried the LC / HC / Axe one yet although I planned on doing so for a while now.. it does seem quite interesting but frankly all that iron might make it a hassle,

DeletedUser

b00k you thief, it was copyrighted. :icon_biggrin: Where's my share, hmm?

Woodlandapple

I am quite a big fan of the HC / Axe nuke but I havent tried the LC / HC / Axe one yet although I planned on doing so for a while now.. it does seem quite interesting but frankly all that iron might make it a hassle,

I've used a similar nuke on simple tech worlds since I found OE's HC nuke's build time to be such a hassle. The loss in strength is easily made up for with build time and the ability to effectively farm. You just need to shape a few iron-loaded farms, and then that isn't that much of a problem either ;)

DeletedUser

This is what I use for w34:
Offensive:
7336 Axe
5 Sword
100 Scout
3000 Light cavalry
300 Ram

Defensive:
11841 Spear
100 Scout
1500 Heavy cavalry

This is because Lc in Offense costs less and is more efficient. Defensively HC is quick to shift around and has great Defence stats.

Why 5 sword you may ask. Using Sword in attacks can confuse the enemy and when attacking a player with several villages. Confusing them and breaking up there defenses is the main goal. If they see attacks coming at sword speed they will probably think that it is a fake. But if your lc and axe are hidden in there and they decide not to dodge that presuming they believe the attack is a fake then it works out great.

Anyway OE's technique looks pretty good so I shall use it in the future.

DeletedUser

Typho: I use a similar one to yours despite having written the guide above :icon_razz: It simply takes too much work otherwise.

DeletedUser

Yeah, out of interest what techs do you use for these?
Since im thinking of bumping my Ram tech up to 3 and knocking HC down to 1 for Offensive.

DeletedUser

This is what I use for w34:
Offensive:
7336 Axe
5 Sword
100 Scout
3000 Light cavalry
300 Ram

Defensive:
11841 Spear
100 Scout
1500 Heavy cavalry

This is because Lc in Offense costs less and is more efficient. Defensively HC is quick to shift around and has great Defence stats.

Why 5 sword you may ask. Using Sword in attacks can confuse the enemy and when attacking a player with several villages. Confusing them and breaking up there defenses is the main goal. If they see attacks coming at sword speed they will probably think that it is a fake. But if your lc and axe are hidden in there and they decide not to dodge that presuming they believe the attack is a fake then it works out great.

Anyway OE's technique looks pretty good so I shall use it in the future.

I see that W34 Smithy is based on 3-level-system. So in your D i suppose you have Spear 3 and HC 3 researched. The rest does not matter.

In your O village, you should have Axe 3, LC 3, Ram 3 + 2 mandatory spears + swords. That makes 11 levels in total. I was wondering how do you manage your army with only 15 research levels. In those 4 levels left you need 2 for spears and another 3 for HC. If you D has HC in there your O should also have HC researched. Spears are researched for support from the outside world. Even if your whole tribes uses an HC strategy, your allies probably will be supporting with spears.

What I wrote also completely denies the fact that you have scouts in your offensive villages. And you need 16 levels if you want to maintain HC at level 3. This has been an interesting issue I remember we had with my fellow hippo tribemates.

DeletedUser

I play W26, perfect for me as i am too lazy to re-tech. Unlimited techs FTW.

In O's I used to have:

3 sp
1 sw
3 axe
3 LC
3 HC
2 ram

and in wallbasher vils with nukes of 600+ rams, i had rams lvl 3, HC lvl 2.

Cut down on the scouts (or build and de-tech), they aren't really that needed as a technology in Of's as you can't see the units outside of the villa anyways.

SF

DeletedUser

Well this is what Im using:

Troops & Technologies:

Offensive:
7336 Axe
5 Sword
100 Scout
3000 Light cavalry
300 Ram

Spear (Level 2)
Sword (Level 1)
Axe (Level 3)
Scout (Level 2)
Light cavalry (Level 3)
Heavy cavalry (Level 2)
Ram (Level 2)

Defensive:
11841 Spear
100 Scout
1500 Heavy cavalry

Spear (Level 3)
Sword (Level 3)
Scout (Level 3)
Heavy cavalry (Level 3)
Catapult (Level 3)

Scouting:
1741 Spear
6000 Scout
750 Heavy Cavalry
350 Cats

Spear (Level 3)
Sword (Level 3)
Scout (Level 3)
Heavy cavalry (Level 3)
Catapult (Level 3)

And now highlighted in bold is what im considering changing:

Troops & Technologies:

Offensive:
7336 Axe
5 Sword
100 Scout
3000 Light cavalry
300 Ram

Spear (Level 1)
Sword (Level 1)
Axe (Level 3)
Scout (Level 3)
Light cavalry (Level 3)
Heavy cavalry (Level 1)
Ram (Level 3)

Defensive:
11841 Spear
100 Scout
1500 Heavy cavalry

Spear (Level 3)
Sword (Level 3)
Scout (Level 3)
Heavy cavalry (Level 3)
Catapult (Level 3)

Scouting:
1741 Spear
6000 Scout
750 Heavy Cavalry
350 Cats

Spear (Level 3)
Sword (Level 3)
Scout (Level 3)
Heavy cavalry (Level 3)
Catapult (Level 3)

DeletedUser

@SF I mostly use Scouts for efficient farming purposes but I suppose I should cut down on them though.

Woodlandapple

Well this is what Im using:

Troops & Technologies:

Offensive:
7336 Axe
5 Sword
100 Scout
3000 Light cavalry
300 Ram

Spear (Level 2)
Sword (Level 1)
Axe (Level 3)
Scout (Level 2)
Light cavalry (Level 3)
Heavy cavalry (Level 2)
Ram (Level 2)

Defensive:
11841 Spear
100 Scout
1500 Heavy cavalry

Spear (Level 3)
Sword (Level 3)
Scout (Level 3)
Heavy cavalry (Level 3)
Catapult (Level 3)

Scouting:
1741 Spear
6000 Scout
750 Heavy Cavalry
350 Cats

Spear (Level 3)
Sword (Level 3)
Scout (Level 3)
Heavy cavalry (Level 3)
Catapult (Level 3)

And now highlighted in bold is what im considering changing:

Troops & Technologies:

Offensive:
7336 Axe
5 Sword
100 Scout
3000 Light cavalry
300 Ram

Spear (Level 1)
Sword (Level 1)
Axe (Level 3)
Scout (Level 3)
Light cavalry (Level 3)
Heavy cavalry (Level 1)
Ram (Level 3)

Defensive:
11841 Spear
100 Scout
1500 Heavy cavalry

Spear (Level 3)
Sword (Level 3)
Scout (Level 3)
Heavy cavalry (Level 3)
Catapult (Level 3)

Scouting:
1741 Spear
6000 Scout
750 Heavy Cavalry
350 Cats

Spear (Level 3)
Sword (Level 3)
Scout (Level 3)
Heavy cavalry (Level 3)
Catapult (Level 3)

Just a fyi: units defend using the level researched in the village they are supporting not the village they were built in. You should have sp/hc at lvl3 in O vils if that's what you defend with.

DeletedUser

@SF I mostly use Scouts for efficient farming purposes but I suppose I should cut down on them though.

You dont really need to use scouts for farming. Managing farming that much takes too much time to be efficient.

The 3/1/3/3/3/2 is the way to go in 15 techs Worlds. You get the best of both Worlds also. That is LCs in your nukes and HCs on D.

Personally, I dont build HCs in nukes. Been donig that for a while now (pretty much a year) and its been very efficient.

The trick to get around the high cost of HCs vs SW and still grow very fast is efficient farming.

DeletedUser

You dont really need to use scouts for farming. Managing farming that much takes too much time to be efficient.

The 3/1/3/3/3/2 is the way to go in 15 techs Worlds. You get the best of both Worlds also. That is LCs in your nukes and HCs on D.

Personally, I dont build HCs in nukes. Been donig that for a while now (pretty much a year) and its been very efficient.

The trick to get around the high cost of HCs vs SW and still grow very fast is efficient farming.

I disagree, early game scouts are good for farming. Although once you hit epic numbers of farms, it's time consuming optimizing farms. To bad you don't show us your w26 troop build?

DeletedUser

I wrote guides about what I use. I simply didnt posted them in the public. However, alot of members in the tribes I've led use them.

w26's a good example. This includes scripts. My guess is SF/RT knows by now what I use since someone I taught from ground is with them now ;) I said it anyway in my previous post. To make up for the huge iron cost, there's only 1 way and its efficient farming. Thats if you wanna grow very fast.

That also doesnt mean having 1500 tabs. Numbers dont mean efficiency.

About scouts, I was obviously referring to farming with tabs. You can farm very efficiently without using scouts. Calculating about how much troops you need to send every 12 hours means you wont send too much troops to the villages you farm which would just be a waste. I guess experience helps in that aspect.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Will leave that to others, never played a World with the new units. I know tho some guys play these Worlds without using the new units.

Got no clue if its really effective tho.