Lets Pray For Them......

DeletedUser54064

Well let's just all agree that Pyker is going to hell for his wit.

:lol:

DeletedUser

On the whole "do christians believe the earth was created 5000yrs ago" topic. I can say that the split of teachers at the christian highschool I went to was about 35% believe the earth was only a few thousand years old and 65% didnt, not a majority but still a significant amount.

Also if your christian/religious wouldnt you have to believe everything in the bible/teachings? You can't just pick out the bits that technology and science definitively disproves over time

nathaniak

Agree with Asian Cyborg - either you believe all of it or none of it - I go for none of it

DeletedUser

On the whole "do christians believe the earth was created 5000yrs ago" topic. I can say that the split of teachers at the christian highschool I went to was about 35% believe the earth was only a few thousand years old and 65% didnt, not a majority but still a significant amount.

Also if your christian/religious wouldnt you have to believe everything in the bible/teachings? You can't just pick out the bits that technology and science definitively disproves over time

Well, damn it show me were in the Bible, specifically, it sais the world was created 5000 years ago. And who believes, I, personally, have never met one who said that "the world is 5000 years old".

DeletedUser

Well, damn it show me were in the Bible, specifically, it sais the world was created 5000 years ago. And who believes, I, personally, have never met one who said that "the world is 5000 years old".

Try reading Genesis. Now, add all the ages of all the generations given in genesis. Based off known historical events recounted in the Old Testament, historians have used that information to conclude that the world is roughly between 6000-7000 years old, according to the Old Testament. (I forget the exact number)

DeletedUser

Pyker, you'll get an lol out of this I bet..

We were in ISS today. Some kid asked what's an animal that starts with 'q'. I answered "A quail"

The ISS teacher, says "No, a quail is not an animal. See, a quail is a FOWL.. A fowl is a bird, or whatever flies up in the sky."

I was like.. I'm pretty sure a quail is an animal, sir.

And he starts quoting Genesis "And god gave man control over the animals of the land, the fowl in the skies, and the fish in the seas."

This is after railing for 5-10 min. about the distinction between a fowl and an animal to me :lol: :lol:

DeletedUser

OH, I forgot to mention he finally wound up googling it, and he said "Well, TECHNICALLY you're right but I'm I'm I'ma talkin bout the fowl is a bird and so it's not an animal, y'see?"

He had a stuttering problem :lol:

DeletedUser

lmao, I had someone try to tell me once that fish didn't count as animals. It was my girlfriend's grandmother so I had to really bite my tongue. It was hard.

DeletedUser81336

lmao, I had someone try to tell me once that fish didn't count as animals. It was my girlfriend's grandmother so I had to really bite my tongue. It was hard.

lol, that's pretty funny. Does anyone know where Master has been lately?

DeletedUser

I'm right here. But you can just call me "M'lord" and leave off the master part. :)

nathaniak

It is not about proof, but faith. Some parts are simply stories to explain certain events, if im correct (believe I saw it somewere).

Faith? You mean 'There is aboslutely no proof for this at all but I belive it because my parents said it was true and there is a book called the bible/koran that is the word of a divine being even though it was written by lots of different people and doesn't even agree with itself...'

If that is faith, I would rather have athiesm!

DeletedUser

This seems to be the main argument, and since I'm disappointed in how we're doing over here I gotta say this.

The Bible wasn't written in English, it was translated from Hebrew.
Thus, the word Yom, which was translated from Hebrew as day, can also be translated as age or epoch or period of time. Problem solved. God has now created the earth in 6 distinct periods of time or ages or epochs rather than 6 days...

And like I said before, the English isn't the Bible, its the errant human translation of the Bible from Hebrew. Want to say the Bible isn't true, then you've gotta look at the Hebrew as well.

And as for the genealogy thingy that pyker mentioned... there is a variance in the years because it doesn't mention how old everybody was when they had their kids so... But we can place it at around 6-7K years + six days for creation. That's how you get the New Earth theory.

nathaniak

My RE teacher said Jews believe in 6 days of creation and they read from the Arabic, so there!

DeletedUser

Knowing a lot about Jewish theology, I am all but certain they do not believe in 6 days of creation. They, similar to myself, are so enthralled in the scripture and so focused on scripture and interpreting it in every way possible (7 Layers of the Bible in every verse), that I can all but guarantee that they believe in evolution. At least the majority of them would. Granted, I'm only familiar in Jewish Theologians, and not so much with the religious culture as a whole, but they are all very knowledgeable in the subject.

And once again, the Arabic isn't the Bible, its the Arabic translation of the Bible. Same as English. Its not the Bible, its the English translation of the Bible. Translation (Which occurs in the Arabic one as well), is done by humans, and is not divinely inspired, meaning that there are human flaws. The Hebrew however, is perfect in every way.

DeletedUser

Faith? You mean 'There is aboslutely no proof for this at all but I belive it because my parents said it was true and there is a book called the bible/koran that is the word of a divine being even though it was written by lots of different people and doesn't even agree with itself...'

If that is faith, I would rather have athiesm!

No, its rather what you believe is more reasonable without proof.

DeletedUser

And once again, the Arabic isn't the Bible, its the Arabic translation of the Bible. Same as English. Its not the Bible, its the English translation of the Bible. Translation (Which occurs in the Arabic one as well), is done by humans, and is not divinely inspired, meaning that there are human flaws. The Hebrew however, is perfect in every way.

What makes the Hebrew Scriptures perfect? Aren't they merely just another translation written down by men?