My Band - Opinions?

Nudist

http://www.purevolume.com/morganslastshot

This is my band, we're currently on a break due to college, would just like to get the communities opinion on us. These are some of our older songs, we've grown a bit and created more mature, folky type stuff.. I will post those when I get home.

Anyways.. guess what I do in the band :lol:

EDIT: For some reason the first song won't play.

DeletedUser

Are you the naked groupie?

If not can I be your first official one because thats not bad, something my lady would like.

I was just about to say the drums are little bit basic then it got to the solo, you guys are awesome

Nudist

Hahah.. it's the type of music more for the younger crowd but I enjoy it too. I'm actually the singer :O The drumming may sound simple, but this drummer is one of the most skilled drummers I've ever met, he's currently going to school for percussion and has some side bands that focus on unique and complicated drumming.

DeletedUser

Nothing wrong with basicly beats, and at the risk of sounding a little bit gay, you have a good singing voice, are you guys signed?

Nudist

Nothing wrong with basicly beats, and at the risk of sounding a little bit gay, you have a good singing voice, are you guys signed?

Meh, I have vocal training.. I guarantee you it would suck if I was gay, as I wouldn't get all the ladies that come with having a gifted voice :icon_wink: We're not signed, and probably won't ever be as everyone is starting up careers and still in school, we don't get to practice much anymore. It's sad :icon_cry:

DeletedUser

Unlucky, and noo i ment I would sound gay saying that another dudes voice sound nice xD

DeletedUser53562

Wow cool, but I'm old, so what would I know? :icon_rolleyes: Reminds me of a band I used to listen to before I resigned myself to classical and Classic Rock! :lol: Placebo or something??? I dunno, was a long time ago.

But yay for singers. I too am a singer, but completely opposite end of the spectrum! Opera! :lol:

Thanks for sharing. Breaks the monotony a bit! :)

Nudist

Wow cool, but I'm old, so what would I know? :icon_rolleyes: Reminds me of a band I used to listen to before I resigned myself to classical and Classic Rock! :lol: Placebo or something??? I dunno, was a long time ago.

But yay for singers. I too am a singer, but completely opposite end of the spectrum! Opera! :lol:

Thanks for sharing. Breaks the monotony a bit! :)

You're really not that old at 28 years old.. maybe with all the teeny boppers in ACTIVE. I'm 23, which I still consider young and 28 isn't too far away for me. I've unfortunately never been able to get into classic rock or classical music but I respect it none the less. I have to give props to anyone who sings, and opera singing must take lots of skill. I threw this out here regardless if I got positive or negative criticism, I'm proud of what we've done :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

Im more into the heavier stuff, like drowning pool :icon_twisted:

But it was good :icon_wink:

DeletedUser53562

You're really not that old at 28 years old.. maybe with all the teeny boppers in ACTIVE. I'm 23, which I still consider young and 28 isn't too far away for me. I've unfortunately never been able to get into classic rock or classical music but I respect it none the less. I have to give props to anyone who sings, and opera singing must take lots of skill. I threw this out here regardless if I got positive or negative criticism, I'm proud of what we've done :icon_razz:

/runs away with Nudist. <3 :icon_cool:

As for skill, hmmm, that's debateable. I think when you're born you can either sing or you can't, yes the raw talent needs to be cultivated, but I think that process, with the right motivation is not overly difficult. Is that skill, I dunno? Skill seems to me something that's more learned and perfected. An instrumentalist has to practice for hours every day and have perfect technique and musicality in order to excel in that field, something a vocalist can easily avoid with the right amount of talent. :icon_neutral:

I only started listening to classical music since moving to Ireland a few years ago. I mean I performed it all the time, why would I want to listen to it in my free time? But here, they don't understand the concept of genre based radio. So it's Euro-pop-trash on every single channel except the classical one. :icon_confused:

SERENITY NOW! :lol:

Anyhoos... keep it up Nudist, it's sounds good from this old fart's slightly deluded perspective! :)

palmertrou

For an american sounding band I found it okay. Technically I'm very impressed. I prefer to listen to british bands. It's not pride of my country or anything that I prefer them it's just I feel that British bands, IMO, make more of an attempt to develope a unique sound. It could be that or my ear isn't tuned to the subtleties of American rock as much as it is British rock.
The difference in the two isn't just me speculating by the way. My best friends were in a band that were influenced by a greater portion of american rock than the average British band and it came across in their music. So much so that they got branded 'too american' in a few british write-ups. They struggled to do well in England but they got signed by sony (?) and moved to New York. Now they are doing much better.

Tell me what you think.
In my head (acoustic) - Your vegas
In my head - official vid
Your Vegas - It Makes My Heart Break

When it comes to American bands I'd say I liked the Von Bondies, White stripes, the strokes, The kills (not the Killers) Beck, Pavement, QOTSA (to an extent), remy zero. But forgive me if I'm making similarties that you don't like about your band but I feel like it's influenced by bands that I generally don't like; Blink182 and incubus. It sounds like it'd go perfect on the burnout computer game soundtrack which I generally mute. Sounds harsh but I don't mind it in small portions, not when playing for an hour or two.

So basically i'm just saying I can appreciate that it's pretty good but it's not my cup of tea, I'm a little niched.

Nudist

Thanks for the feedback, I can tell you that I mostly don't care for British bands and every American band you listed are not bands I listen to at all. I will admit that since this song, we've found a more unique sound that is more folk/funk inspired. It's definitely obvious not everyone has the same taste in music and I respect that. I don't even know where I'd start if I was to sound like a good british band, I work from my influences and music I've listened to in the past.

DeletedUser

American, British, aslong as it's some form of metal I like it

DeletedUser71940

Kinda triggered Billy Talent for me :lol:

DeletedUser

Not bad - really. Tho` I`m not a big fan of punk rock, tho` it`s not too punk either, some quality stuff coming out from you guys! Don`t drop it.
palmertrou - QOTSA for ever!

Nudist
I will admit that since this song, we've found a more unique sound that is more folk/funk inspired.
That`s what I like even more!

Last edited by a moderator: