There's a new sticky

DeletedUser

They are changing rules, case and point adding in the 500 person limit per tribe AFTER the world was started. Things like this should be done to world 3 durring its creation they should not be changing how a world plays out AFTER it has begun.

DeletedUser

The script did not send anything automatically nor did it put in the troops needed to send. It merely took the scouting report, added the resources currently there and the ammount of resources that the city's resource buildings would produce over the ammount of time it would take to get there by light cavalry, or spear. Essentially it told you how many resources would be there rather than how much was there when the scouting report came in.

Again, it did not send troops automatically nor did it automatically ready them to send. It was a calculator. By the wording of the rules at the time (I believe), or at least at the time I started playing, this was not against the rules.

Unless I'm missing something.

DeletedUser

Foolofhimself said:
Actually it is true. The words "with reduced effort" were not part of the original rules and appeared the day before the mass bans.

I also heard that they were there a couple of days after the Fraggle incident, but we just weren't notified of the changes in the wording. The rules may have been intended to be like that in June 2006, but they weren't explicitly fortified when the translation ensued, therefore mass confusion.

DeletedUser7

Foolofhimself said:
Actually it is true. The words "with reduced effort" were not part of the original rules and appeared the day before the mass bans.

Just checked the log, there was no change. You got wrong information.

DeletedUser

Be that as it may, I still don't feel that this reduced any effort. People still had to enter in troops manually. It's nothing they couldn't do in their head.

It's not like a farm bot where nobody could realistically stay up 24/7 to farm. I can look at a scout report and say "oh it's got 2000/2000/2000 I better send at least 25 light cavs". It seems a very small reason to ban someone outright without so much as a warning.

DeletedUser7

Foolofhimself said:
Be that as it may, I still don't feel that this reduced any effort. People still had to enter in troops manually. It's nothing they couldn't do in their head.

It's not like a farm bot where nobody could realistically stay up 24/7 to farm. I can look at a scout report and say "oh it's got 2000/2000/2000 I better send at least 25 light cavs". It seems a very small reason to ban someone outright without so much as a warning.

This is also not true. The script has an auto-attack and and an auto-confirm action.
But even without this functions it is a script that reduces the effort to attack other players.

DeletedUser

Thanks for taking the time to address some of these issues, Exception. Perhaps this should be addressed in another thread, but since you're posting in this one, I'll ask. Do we know if the 500-member rule is something that's going to be permanent? I know a lot of TW members seem to feel that our tribe has been singled out with this new rule. Thanks.

DeletedUser

The script I saw had no such action. Perhaps we are discussing two different ones, I can't honestly say. I do think however that warnings should be issued first (with the exception of course being the 24/7 script variety)

DeletedUser1070

exception said:
This is also not true. The script has an auto-attack and and an auto-confirm action.
But even without this functions it is a script that reduces the effort to attack other players.

Could we re-engage this discussion after the banned people come back? Right now, the only people left are the ones that didn't bother attempting to install it. From what I've heard, there were no automatic actions. As far as auto attack, I heard that it just makes the button to send troops really big so it's easier to click.

DeletedUser

OK. Here's the skinny on the script. (I know it because I wrote it)

1. The farm script that everyone got banned for having requires the notebook for configuration. This is how people were caught.
2. The original farm script does NOT have auto-attack or auto-confirm.
3. The original farm script DOES allow you to click on a # of lcav and it will populate the lcav field as well as the location field. This is similar to favorites in premium. I can only assume this is what exception was referring to when he said that it was "half-automated"
4. There IS a version of the farm script that contains auto-attack and auto-confirm. I will not say who modified it to contain those, I will only say that it was NEVER released to anyone before yesterday after the bans, so those banned were most certainly not using that version (Neither the modifier nor myself were using it either)
5. The farm script is NOT the same script that the original 2 bannings were for, that was for an actual automated bot that launched attacks every 2 hour 1 min.

DeletedUser

exception said:

You have an incorrect version of that script that might have been modified by someone. The released version of that script had no such features. You might want to rethink that before you ban 70 people for alledgedly using such a script when I would guess 99% of them did not have that "edited" version.

DeletedUser711

LostAnge1 said:
You have an incorrect version of that script that might have been modified by someone. The released version of that script had no such features. You might want to rethink that before you ban 70 people for alledgedly using such a script when I would guess 99% of them did not have that "edited" version.

Like he said, even without these functions it was a script that reduced effort. So what's the point in squabbling about this.

DeletedUser

Furry Lunchbox said:
Like he said, even without these functions it was a script that reduced effort. So what's the point in squabbling about this.

Because one actual automates something, the other automates absolutely nothing and only calculates. If I'm going to be banned for something, I'd like to make sure it's for the correct thing.

Is THAT ok with you?

DeletedUser

Given the information now on hand I'd have to agree with alot of people here in that the calc thing may have been pushing the limit as to 'reduced effort' but a warning and not a ban should have been issued by the developers with an edict that continued use of the script would result in a banning.

:swordsman: Ternith Sjomah :swordsman:

DeletedUser

Given the information now on hand I'd have to agree with alot of people here in that the calc thing may have been pushing the limit as to 'reduced effort' but a warning and not a ban should have been issued by the developers with an edict that continued use of the script would result in a banning.

Agreed 100%.

DeletedUser605

Because one actual automates something, the other automates absolutely nothing and only calculates. If I'm going to be banned for something, I'd like to make sure it's for the correct thing.

Is THAT ok with you?

May I ask why anyone would use a script that may get them banned if all it did was the same thing as calc.exe???

doesnt make that much sense to me, unless it also made it easier.......

DeletedUser1070

May I ask why anyone would use a script that may get them banned if all it did was the same thing as calc.exe???

Because they all thought anything non-automated is perfectly legal.

Haven't you been reading the threads? People aren't upset that it turns out the scripts are illegal; they're upset that the rules implied that only automated scripts are illegal and they were banned without warning based on the admin's vague interpretation of the rule. They're upset because they got banned for what the official rules appeared to indicate is perfectly legal.

So, given that everyone using the scripts thought they were fine, wouldn't it be more convenient to have the calculation on the same page you're viewing instead of needing to keep alt-tabbing to calc.exe?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Well, calc.exe is capable of doing all of the calculation that the script does. It doesn't do it instantly though, so that's the reason for its existence.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new wording of the rule. If all greasemonkey scripts are outlawed, well, that would be sad for all parties involved. For players because they're useful and they don't want to give them up or fear getting banned. For authors because it's something they enjoy doing and they'd have to spend more time making them undetectable than useful. And for admins, because a large majority of the scripts are compeltely undetectable and creating rules against them is an exercise in futility.

My point is, regardless of what rules are made, there are going to be people that find tabbing, typing on the numpad, running calc, etc too tedious and they're going to ues their skills to make it less tedious.

No, i'm not threatening to start writing new scripts/making my olds ones undetectable or whatever. I'm just saying that SOMEONE will do it at some point, and no one will be the wiser.

I would suggest outlawing bots (anything that doesn't require you to be in front of the computer to run) but allowing simple scripts such as ones that tell you how far a village is from yours, or how many resources are likely to be at the village you're looking at when you attack it. Again, scripts like those can be made completely undetectable, so why not embrace them, allow them, allow people to post about them on the forums (hence making that advantage no longer an advantage) and hey, maybe even get some more ideas for premium or vanilla?

Yes, members of TW are responsible for creating several scripts that improve the experience of Tribal Wars, no TW is not the only tribe that creates those scripts, nor are they the only tribes that use them. I have proof that other tribes use and embrace my scripts (though I will not say who, and no I didn't give them to them.) I think that the members of TW and the members of other tribes can help to make Tribal Wars a better game that is more focused on the game play rather than the cludginess that is inherent in a web based game.

DeletedUser

Well, calc.exe is capable of doing all of the calculation that the script does. It doesn't do it instantly though, so that's the reason for its existence.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new wording of the rule. If all greasemonkey scripts are outlawed, well, that would be sad for all parties involved. For players because they're useful and they don't want to give them up or fear getting banned. For authors because it's something they enjoy doing and they'd have to spend more time making them undetectable than useful. And for admins, because a large majority of the scripts are compeltely undetectable and creating rules against them is an exercise in futility.

My point is, regardless of what rules are made, there are going to be people that find tabbing, typing on the numpad, running calc, etc too tedious and they're going to ues their skills to make it less tedious.

No, i'm not threatening to start writing new scripts/making my olds ones undetectable or whatever. I'm just saying that SOMEONE will do it at some point, and no one will be the wiser.

I would suggest outlawing bots (anything that doesn't require you to be in front of the computer to run) but allowing simple scripts such as ones that tell you how far a village is from yours, or how many resources are likely to be at the village you're looking at when you attack it. Again, scripts like those can be made completely undetectable, so why not embrace them, allow them, allow people to post about them on the forums (hence making that advantage no longer an advantage) and hey, maybe even get some more ideas for premium or vanilla?

Yes, members of TW are responsible for creating several scripts that improve the experience of Tribal Wars, no TW is not the only tribe that creates those scripts, nor are they the only tribes that use them. I have proof that other tribes use and embrace my scripts (though I will not say who, and no I didn't give them to them.) I think that the members of TW and the members of other tribes can help to make Tribal Wars a better game that is more focused on the game play rather than the cludginess that is inherent in a web based game.

F'in SIGNED