There's a new sticky

DeletedUser

Well, calc.exe is capable of doing all of the calculation that the script does. It doesn't do it instantly though, so that's the reason for its existence.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new wording of the rule. If all greasemonkey scripts are outlawed, well, that would be sad for all parties involved. For players because they're useful and they don't want to give them up or fear getting banned. For authors because it's something they enjoy doing and they'd have to spend more time making them undetectable than useful. And for admins, because a large majority of the scripts are compeltely undetectable and creating rules against them is an exercise in futility.

My point is, regardless of what rules are made, there are going to be people that find tabbing, typing on the numpad, running calc, etc too tedious and they're going to ues their skills to make it less tedious.

No, i'm not threatening to start writing new scripts/making my olds ones undetectable or whatever. I'm just saying that SOMEONE will do it at some point, and no one will be the wiser.

I would suggest outlawing bots (anything that doesn't require you to be in front of the computer to run) but allowing simple scripts such as ones that tell you how far a village is from yours, or how many resources are likely to be at the village you're looking at when you attack it. Again, scripts like those can be made completely undetectable, so why not embrace them, allow them, allow people to post about them on the forums (hence making that advantage no longer an advantage) and hey, maybe even get some more ideas for premium or vanilla?

Yes, members of TW are responsible for creating several scripts that improve the experience of Tribal Wars, no TW is not the only tribe that creates those scripts, nor are they the only tribes that use them. I have proof that other tribes use and embrace my scripts (though I will not say who, and no I didn't give them to them.) I think that the members of TW and the members of other tribes can help to make Tribal Wars a better game that is more focused on the game play rather than the cludginess that is inherent in a web based game.

logic++ good post

DeletedUser

Well, calc.exe is capable of doing all of the calculation that the script does. It doesn't do it instantly though, so that's the reason for its existence.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new wording of the rule. If all greasemonkey scripts are outlawed, well, that would be sad for all parties involved. For players because they're useful and they don't want to give them up or fear getting banned. For authors because it's something they enjoy doing and they'd have to spend more time making them undetectable than useful. And for admins, because a large majority of the scripts are compeltely undetectable and creating rules against them is an exercise in futility.

My point is, regardless of what rules are made, there are going to be people that find tabbing, typing on the numpad, running calc, etc too tedious and they're going to ues their skills to make it less tedious.

No, i'm not threatening to start writing new scripts/making my olds ones undetectable or whatever. I'm just saying that SOMEONE will do it at some point, and no one will be the wiser.

I would suggest outlawing bots (anything that doesn't require you to be in front of the computer to run) but allowing simple scripts such as ones that tell you how far a village is from yours, or how many resources are likely to be at the village you're looking at when you attack it. Again, scripts like those can be made completely undetectable, so why not embrace them, allow them, allow people to post about them on the forums (hence making that advantage no longer an advantage) and hey, maybe even get some more ideas for premium or vanilla?

Yes, members of TW are responsible for creating several scripts that improve the experience of Tribal Wars, no TW is not the only tribe that creates those scripts, nor are they the only tribes that use them. I have proof that other tribes use and embrace my scripts (though I will not say who, and no I didn't give them to them.) I think that the members of TW and the members of other tribes can help to make Tribal Wars a better game that is more focused on the game play rather than the cludginess that is inherent in a web based game.
Great post, very well said.

DeletedUser

Agreed. Its an exercise in futility. In other web based games (such as Utopia), people use external programs (Utopia Angel) to copy/paste data into essentially what are big calculators. Sure, some of the old folk in that game go "You don't understand how the calculators work" - but realistically they've just got a stick up their butt and need to move on.

And its not a disadvantage if you don't have them - you just have to work that little bit harder (with a calculator) to do it. Its no different if I came up with an algorithm that solved certain things quicker - but you went about it the slower way. The end result is the same, and honestly - the time difference between the two is a moot point because a difference of even 5 minutes does not mean life or death.

I was actually disappointed to find that there were no "Tribalwars Angel" for this game, and was planning on writing one myself over the summer holidays (Aus) coming up at the end of this year (I had no idea that people were using some browser scripts, thats a clever idea imho)-- until this whole fiasco came out.

But then again, whats to stop me? No-one could detect it (it'd run completely client side, not even inbuilt into the browser!) and it wouldn't give me a huge advantage. It'd just my life easier, and honestly - I'd enjoy the game a lot more.

So yes - although I haven't been involved in this saga since it began (I'm a new player of about a month's experience), I have to agree completely with "hmeh". This saga should be about removing the cheaters who use bots to automate their game play. Not those who use tools to calculate things quicker, or store certain information in a folder - coz the end result is you can't stop it and it creates headaches for everyone.

Congrats hmeh on a great post, about the first I've seen since this debacle started.

Signed and sealed,

Ben

DeletedUser

OMG! You used logic in your post! That is not allowed in these forums. BAN! :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

Very well written. I'm looking forward to an equally intelligent and well thought out response from the developers.

DeletedUser

May I ask why anyone would use a script that may get them banned if all it did was the same thing as calc.exe???

doesnt make that much sense to me, unless it also made it easier.......

If they knew they would be banned then why are they upating the rules to make them clear on what is and isn't allowed?

It's not that hard to admit when the admins are wrong. It's ok to voice an opinion of your own. Go ahead try it it's the latest craze since 1776.

DeletedUser

I'm sure the devs are intelligent, but I doubt they are really involved on a day to day basis, and trust the moderators & admin with the game & forums.

DeletedUser

Be that as it may, I still don't feel that this reduced any effort. People still had to enter in troops manually. It's nothing they couldn't do in their head.

It's not like a farm bot where nobody could realistically stay up 24/7 to farm. I can look at a scout report and say "oh it's got 2000/2000/2000 I better send at least 25 light cavs". It seems a very small reason to ban someone outright without so much as a warning.
Then, why have it? if it's such a little thing ... :icon_rolleyes:

If you can save 3 minutes formulating each attack, multiplied by 1000's of atttacks that could save you AN ENTIRE WEEK of time, enabling you 100's of additional attacks over a month.

It is just a little difference, but one MAGNIFIED by the icidence of 1000's of attacks by 800 players IS A HUGE ADVANTAGE.

DeletedUser

If they knew they would be banned then why are they upating the rules to make them clear on what is and isn't allowed?

It's not that hard to admit when the admins are wrong. It's ok to voice an opinion of your own. Go ahead try it it's the latest craze since 1776.
Cause the rules were written in German then translated?

<<snipped by Skymage: insulting>>

No one expected that legal expertise would be required. You knowingly broke the spirit of the rules, and that has resulted in an appropriate sanction, one that has already been lifted.

Now where is that baby bottle? :icon_razz:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Then, why have it? if it's such a little thing ... :icon_rolleyes:

If you can save 3 minutes formulating each attack, multiplied by 1000's of atttacks that could save you AN ENTIRE WEEK of time, enabling you 100's of additional attacks over a month.

It is just a little difference, but one MAGNIFIED by the icidence of 1000's of attacks by 800 players IS A HUGE ADVANTAGE.

Couple of reasons. One, there are several "legal" ways of gaining advantage over other players in this game. You could open several browser windows or tabs to quick change between villages. Saves you time, could be construed as unfair to others who don't bother to do that. You could pay for premium. Apparently admins don't care if you have an advantage so long as you're giving them money. You could wear a watch that beeps when it's time to upgrade, so you don't even have to pay attention to the computer, etc...

These are all "small" things as you say, but they do give you an advantage. Nothing stops you from using them, just as nothing stops you from learning how to code a simple calculator. The point is you can't argue for a "level playing field" when the game designers never made one.

DeletedUser

I agree completely with that. Especially now that the scripts are basically public-domain thanks to that mass-messaging that went out.

And with all the encouragement to create scripts (read the freely-distributed "World Data" files... There's quite a bit of information in those), I feel this is a bit of a back-flip.

I know I'm only fanning a fire here, but I really want to see the new rules reflect this position....

DeletedUser1070

I agree completely with that. Especially now that the scripts are basically public-domain thanks to that mass-messaging that went out.

Yeah, I'm surprised the admins/mods havent made any sort of announcement about that mail.

DeletedUser

I didn't get the email - woe is me :icon_neutral:

Foolofhimself you raise some good pints and I will address each one:
Couple of reasons. One, there are several "legal" ways of gaining advantage over other players in this game. You could open several browser windows or tabs to quick change between villages. Saves you time, could be construed as unfair to others who don't bother to do that.
Which is available to anyone.

You could pay for premium. Apparently admins don't care if you have an advantage so long as you're giving them money. You could wear a watch that beeps when it's time to upgrade, so you don't even have to pay attention to the computer, etc...
Yes this is available to everyone.

These are all "small" things as you say, but they do give you an advantage. Nothing stops you from using them, just as nothing stops you from learning how to code a simple calculator. The point is you can't argue for a "level playing field" when the game designers never made one.
coding a calc or a spreadsheet (me) is also available to everyone.

As such the playing field is level for anyone with common skills. It's the utilization of professional skills and the development of superior products NOT available to everyone that is my concern.

I would approve use the scripts, provided they were available to everyone.

Know how about sharing your l33t php/legal script stuff? I really need halp managing 8 windows and having to go through a logical circle to return to the appropriate window. Further all the typing in Excel is costing me time.

plece halp <-- my lonely cry from the wilderness :icon_cry:

I will send you 10000 units upon receipt.

DeletedUser656

I would approve use the scripts, provided they were available to everyone.

Know how about sharing your l33t php/legal script stuff? I really need halp managing 8 windows and having to go through a logical circle to return to the appropriate window. Further all the typing in Excel is costing me time.

plece halp <-- my lonely cry from the wilderness :icon_cry:

I will send you 10000 units upon receipt.

Any PHP scripts are mostly private and so won't be shared.
The JS scripts are available if you ask the right people, but I believe they have been defined as illegal, so use them at your own risk.

DeletedUser

Yea I won't use anything illegal, I used to be pretty good with Excel, unfortunately I don't have the time to re-learn, to write up something decent, but it would be a kool challenge.
- woe is me :icon_cry:

But yes I would welcome something that automates some of the calculations. I have joined a clan and hopefully they can help.

Well, calc.exe is capable of doing all of the calculation that the script does. It doesn't do it instantly though, so that's the reason
for its existence.

Signed.

Gee, can't beat the logic in this post. I've always thought that having a rule against something undetectable is foolish, hence it should be embraced by all. Let the hackers improve the code so that premium features can't be duplicated and allow the developers a return on their sweat and toil.

Well I've been farming for 36 hours straight, time to get some sleep. :icon_eek: