2009 Awards Thread

DeletedUser

This is the thread for nominating the "Best Of" 2009.

I can't see there ever being a vote, but that's hardly the point :lol:
We can still use the Meta-thread for discussing new categories.

Categories

Player of The Year
Tribe of The Year
Family of The Year
Best Offensive Player
Best OffensiveTribe
Best Defensive Player
Best DefensiveTribe
Most Innovative Player
Most Innovative Tribe
Most Promising Player
Most Promising Tribe
Best Conflict
Best Forum Propagandist
Most Entertaining Forum contributor
Best Leader
Best Relocation (Player)
Best Relocation (Tribe)
Comeback of The Year (Player)
Comeback of The Year (Tribe)
Most Resilient Player
Most Resilient Tribe

Last edited by a moderator:

bomberace101

Do we have to provide 2 answere for which side of the world we are? Everyone knows a majority of Apoc players will vote Apoc and resistance will vote for their side. THere will be a few exception but on the whole its who can get the most people on the externals otherwise.

warlord228

player of the year: TheMudge
Tribe of the year:~MI~
Family of the year: Mayhem Infernal / Infernal Mayhem
Best Offensive Player:Zain-BA-I
Best OffensiveTribe: Mayhem Inferno
Best Defensive Player: AdAnouch
Best DefensiveTribe: Mayhem Inferno
Most Innovative Player: xxxxxxxx
Most Innovative Tribe:xxxxxxxx
Most Promising Player: branola
Most Promising Tribe: Mayhem Inferno
Best Conflict: xGoCx Vs Ba and APOC
Best Forum Propagandist:xxxxxxxxxx
Most Entertaining Forum contributor: AdAnouch
Best Leader: MsBella
Best Relocation (Player):xxxxxxxxxxxx
Best Relocation (Tribe): Mayhem Inferno - We are going everywhere :p
Comeback of The Year (Player): xxxxxxxxxx
Comeback of The Year (Tribe):~S~ - they have come back to show real strength!!
Most Resilient Player: Jtishere10
Most Resilient Tribe: BaS

DeletedUser

Personally I can't see the point of blatantly partisan "nominations" such as the one above. How about providing a justification for each? That should at least give the illusion that rational thought intervened in the process...

DeletedUser

lol..just vote andrew done..or if you are bored how about transferring your big guns to the south..:icon_razz::lol:

DeletedUser

Tribe of The Year: INF
INF started the year ranked at around (maybe even below?) 20
- defeated UAN, Wargod and RENE (each of whom were of equal size to INF when the wars began)
- then defeated Apoc-R and forced the abandonment of Apoc-W
- grew to be a top-5 tribe without any significant recruiting
- merged with the legendary MM as an equal partner
- are now half of one of the top two families in W18
- are currently continuing to take continent after continent from Apoc.

Family of The Year: Apoc
I think it's too early to nominate MIM as they only existed for half the year. I don't know enough about BA, so it has to be the huggers.

Best Offensive Player: SecretAgentBarbie
I guess I should nominate an enemy player, as you always get to see how good offensively your opponents are rather than your allies. However, even after sitting some of our most attacked members, I haven't really seen any innovative individuals.

Best OffensiveTribe: Apoc-C
While they are a tribe with big inactivity problems, they have a core team who work together well. I can't really comment on MIM, as I've never been on the receiving end. But I am very happy with our combination of leadership, skill and activity.

Best Defensive Player: AdAnouch
They keep knocking but that they can't come in.

Best DefensiveTribe: ~S~
They put up a huge fight initially against MM and INF and subsequently against BA and Apoc. They're the only non-family tribe left in the top 10.

Most Innovative Player: HDTH
I do try :icon_wink:

Most Innovative Tribe: INF/MIM family
I think we can pride ourselves on our constantly evolving strategy and tactics.

Most Promising Player: JV123
I could have picked any one of a dozen from the south, all of whom I expect to make telling contributions on a global scale in 2010.

Most Promising Tribe:
It's hard to identify anyone who might fit the bill. Maybe a rogue team will emerge from one of the families. There are several good teams who are better than the rest of their tribes/families. They might fancy a new challenge.

Best Conflict: ~S~ Vs -MM-
The only stand-off during the year?

Best Forum Propagandist:
Gui the Ghost

Most Entertaining Forum contributor:
Gui the Ghost :lol:

Best Leader: Rudegar
Continues to provide excellent leadership, in INF and then in MIM.

That's enough for the moment. I'll have a further think about the rest later.

Player of The Year
Best Relocation (Player)
Best Relocation (Tribe)
Most Resilient Player
Most Resilient Tribe

bomberace101

I think it should not be who has the most votes, but decided upon by truscott as you can garuntuee hes most likely the least biased. He can then choose a winner based on the case put forward on the nominations, which at least then will force people to give reasoning on why they choose that person.

DeletedUser

yeah i just sniped 2 of your trains when i sitted my friend's acc..damn,you're good..
don't make me quit,i love to learn..if i quit does that make me like ptagi?
they say the big boys like to play in the core...well we should make more noise in the south then..:lol:

Another loud mouth that will be closed in due time. It's strange how every player that has bragged about how they sniped such and such a train of mine is now dead, quit, or inactive.

I wonder why you couldn't take a single Ptagi village until after the 22nd.

Player of the year: Davidemah

DeletedUser

I have moved Player, Tribe and Family of the Year nominations to the end which, as the most prestigious of the awards, is only right!

Best Offensive Player

This is a toughy. Zain would be the obvious choice but I am inclined to recognise TheMudge for being for more offensive than most ;-) TheMudge by a whisker.

Best Offensive Tribe

Looking at the map I think this category has three contenders for the top spot: INF, Apoc-C and Apoc-D. MM misses out due to the fact that, until the merger with INF, it failed to make any real impression on the map (other than through sheer mass).

I have discounted INF for one reason: It no longer exists. That leaves Apoc-C and Apoc-D...

Pound for pound Apoc-C is probably one of the most aggressive PvP oriented tribes on the map but, if asked who would I least like to see on the other side of the battlefield, I'm afraid there can be only one answer: Apoc-D.

Best Defensive Player

This is less tough than the previous category. Having fought AA I can tell you that he was no-where near the cut. He made a lot of ODD for sure but I don't think ODD is, by any means, the perfect measure of defensive capability. It doesn't recognise anything other than the ability to stack a village effectively. Dodging and sniping are artforms that AA didn't even try, let alone master.

I am not sure when Zurtle's heroics took place (in which he combined stacks, dodging & sniping and very efficient troop management) but I think it was last year. That leaves Cadara who survived pretty much the full force of MM for a looong time during the MM v *A* war. However, for me, the best defender this year must go to Sechul Lath who has not only amassed a collosal ODD but has also done so while employing all of the techniques described above AND gaining villages!

Best DefensiveTribe

Toughy. If I am allowed to pick tribes that no longer exist then I would probably pick *A* for their efforts in fending off by far the biggest (at that time) tribe in the game, i.e. MM.

Most Innovative Player

Innovative? I haven't seen anything particularly "new" in W18... except maybe the UA, which was last year!

Most Innovative Tribe

As above.

Most Promising Player

As we are in the end game I can't really see that this is relevant.

Most Promising Tribe

As above

Best Conflict

Define best?

I enjoyed RKN/TWA v Legion but it was a bit of a turkey shoot. In fact the same could be said for many of the conflicts in the west. If best equals most competitive then I would have to say MM v *A*. Of course I would also vote for this for a selfish reason: It kept two of the main powerhouses of W18 out of the way while Apoc formed and cleaned up most of the rest of the world. Badly done ;-)

Best Forum Propagandist

I suspect the best propagandist is the player who no one thinks of as being a propagandist! For that reason I have to say Zain (although he flirted with being partisan just before his exams!)

Most Entertaining Forum contributor

Clickpanic!

Best Leader

I could easily propose the Apoc leadership team at this point. Or even Msbella & Joann however, personally I think Peter is the real deal.

Best Relocation (Player)

Look at the map. I think this could be shared by the top 5 players (plus Aga, Rashelle and Wolfhunt1 of course!)

Best Relocation (Tribe)

No contest: Apoc-C. Everyone said they couldn't do it but they did. They leapfrogged half of the UA to become one of the most aggressive PvP tribes on the map.

Someone came back?

I see dead tribes...

Most Resilient Player

Sechul Lath again. The guy has been averaging 2M ODD forever!

Most Resilient Tribe

I guess the award demands that the tribe is still with us! I will have to abandon my elimination of tribes that not existed for the year because I don't think that Apoc-F, Apoc-N or BA have come under a lot of pressure from a decent attacking enemy (although Apoc-F did weather an early, well planned, onslaught by PAIN).

I'm sorry but, on balance, I can't really think of a tribe that deserves this. MI deserves a mention in dispatches if only because it has amassed the most ODD but I'm not sure I can give it to a tribe that has appears to be losing as many villages as the stats suggest (even in the face of Apoc-D). Put this award back in the cabinet.

And the main awards....

Player of the Year

I simply can't argue with Zurtle

Davide has come from relative obscurity and is about to clinch is second first on the player milestones. Of course no one should take the player milestones too seriously. Davide is also a key member of one of the most effective PvP units on W18 and is well represented in the top ODA tables.

No brainer really!

Tribe of the Year

This one is difficult 'cos there are only a couple of major tribes that have actually been around for anywhere near a full year in their current forms. The obvious contenders (Apoc-D and MI) are both the products of mergers, as is Apoc-C, ~S~ and IM. That leaves only the BA tribes, Apoc-N and Apoc-F that are essentially unchanged over the year.

As the #3 tribe Apoc-F is probably the most deserving and their demolition of PAIN (and FEAR) reinforces their credentials as a well organised and effective tribe. Their next challenge is MIM to the south...

Family of The Year

I was tempted to go for BA for similar reasons to the category above but I don't think there can be much debate that the pre-emminent family is Apoc, bar none.

DeletedUser

Another loud mouth that will be closed in due time. It's strange how every player that has bragged about how they sniped such and such a train of mine is now dead, quit, or inactive.

i didnt know you can kill by sending attacks from an internet game o_O

Also, i nominate myself for Most Innovative Player as its the only thing i could actualy nominate myself for exscept for the resiltent part (too much competition D: )

DeletedUser

RKN-Cs southern players who bordered with Fear also contributed in the war effort until tehy relocated against Legion.

Ok... Apoc-W merged into all of the Apoc tribes as well as -R.

Technically INF is still in the form of -IM- :icon_wink:

There is an important distinction between what is a merger and what is bringing in players from another tribe. In the case of a Merger, both tribes contribute to the policy and leadership of the new tribe. As noted in the merger of RKN-C and TWA-N3, leadership from both tribes remained in their leadership positions, and policy adjusted to suit the needs of both former tribes acting as 1 new entity. You can also see this in the merger of MM and INF. In the other case like Apoc-F, new members were brought in, but the leadership and policy remained that which was already in place for Apoc-F, distinguishing it from a merger.

DeletedUser

I wonder why you couldn't take a single Ptagi village until after the 22nd.

Player of the year: Davidemah

nice..all apoc players should be like you..brave..i wonder where they went in the south..yeah was so noob i didn't get one..how many sitters you put in that acc till you deleted it?:icon_sad::lol:

DeletedUser

nice..all apoc players should be like you..brave..i wonder where they went in the south..yeah was so noob i didn't get one..how many sitters you put in that acc till you deleted it?:icon_sad::lol:

I was the only sitter until the 22nd with no outside support and her crappy non grouped villages. It's unfortunate it wasn't my own account down there, as you would still be stonewalled in K96 had that been the case. Having seen the great majority of your southern fighters, I can readily say that you would stand no chance facing Apoc-D.

DeletedUser

I was the only sitter until the 22nd with no outside support and her crappy non grouped villages. It's unfortunate it wasn't my own account down there, as you would still be stonewalled in K96 had that been the case. Having seen the great majority of your southern fighters, I can readily say that you would stand no chance facing Apoc-D.

wow,strong statement..well,i guess we need to prove it then..:icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser

22.09.2009?

FYI we started ops against ptagi lil later,and when we started we all know what is happened.

Tbh...I can even tell you which player will be our next ops on south and you can sit him 24/7 if you want...oh well,you can even pick someone with non crappy grouped villages if you want on south and let me know when we can start to prove you wrong;)

DeletedUser

I think it should not be who has the most votes, but decided upon by truscott as you can garuntuee hes most likely the least biased. He can then choose a winner based on the case put forward on the nominations, which at least then will force people to give reasoning on why they choose that person.

What if I total up the amount of votes per person (providing we obviously get a decent amount of Data) and make some polls? Then if I think somebody was unfairly missed off the list I can add them as a wild card? o_O

DeletedUser

TBH: I'm not particularly interested in a poll. The forum community represents a tiny subset of the playing community and most of us don't have an objective bone in our bodies.

If you really want a poll then I recommend that this thread is considered a mechanism for nominating/arguing the case for nominees for each award, rather than voting for them. A different mechanism (preferably the polling mechanism used by the forum admin) should be used for the actual voting.

Andy