Christmas Attack Break...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Nothing I say here will persuade you otherwise will it Mac?

We have a holiday break because the majority of our players/staff are from the west and therefore visit families and friends over the holidays that lead up to the western new year.

This game would fall apart if there was no staff and for that reason alone we have enough ground to hold a break. And as staff we have the ability to book holidays whenever we wish. Usually another mod will just fill in for the one on holiday. Therefore allowing over religious holidays to be honored. However as we nearly all go away over Christmas it isn't feasible to just shuffle staff about.

I'm certainly willing to hear the reasoning.

I'm just saying the honest answer is this:

Staff would like a Christmas break to be with their families and not have to worry about staffing a game, working over support requests and other typical functions.

As such, the vote by the players or any other rational is just a PR story.
You want off for Christmas?
I hope you and your family enjoy. I hope that when the kiddies open their presents their eyes light up, i hope the par...Santa enjoys the milk and cookies.

But lets not play the its 'holiday' break when the purpose is Christmas break for Staff.

If it wasnt sugar coated i'd be much more agreeable on the issue.

DeletedUser

You complain about an attack break? Why might I ask?
Are you saying that it isn't fair to have a break for a world wide holiday? Or are you saying that it is you care more about a game than this holiday? Christmas is a major holiday! I know some of you wil say, "I'm not Christian" or "I don't believe in God." It doesn't matter. I don't come in and complain that you celebrate your holdiays, and I would like to request that you not complain about ours. Christmas is enjoyed by a large number of people playing this game. How many Buddhist people play this game anyway? The mere fact that the staff considered this attack break is becuase this is such a significant holiday, and many people celebrate it.

Now, stop complaining and spend time with your friends and family, unless you find this game more important than them.
Come on people; spend time with your family and stop complaining.

[spoil]You joined a game based in an area of western culture. Expect to conform and to hear about their customs. Deal with it.
~Blame truscott for me coming here! :p
[/spoil]

DeletedUser

You complain about an attack break? Why might I ask?
Are you saying that it isn't fair to have a break for a world wide holiday? Or are you saying that it is you care more about a game than this holiday? Christmas is a major holiday! I know some of you wil say, "I'm not Christian" or "I don't believe in God." It doesn't matter. I don't come in and complain that you celebrate your holdiays, and I would like to request that you not complain about ours. Christmas is enjoyed by a large number of people playing this game. How many Buddhist people play this game anyway? The mere fact that the staff considered this attack break is becuase this is such a significant holiday, and many people celebrate it.

Now, stop complaining and spend time with your friends and family, unless you find this game more important than them.
Come on people; spend time with your family and stop complaining.

You joined a game based in an area of western culture. Expect to conform and to hear about their customs. Deal with it.
~Blame truscott for me coming here! :p

I want them to be honest with their statements.

'Our Staff works hard all year long and Staff wants to be with their families on Christmas, Thank You'

I'm not entirely sure why you are bringing up Buddhist holidays, but okay.
Yes, people have a lot of different faiths.
Islam, Jewish, Buddhist, Christian amongst many faiths.

I'm pretty sure many western cultures preach tolerance for one another and one anothers faiths - I dont think anyone is arguing that TW is 'pushing' a religion on anyone, but they are giving a holiday break for one.

If you want to give people the chance for a Holiday Break allocated, i dont know, 7 days a year a person can use to go on Holiday Break.

But since the reason reason is, 'Staff deserves, and Wants a Christmas break to spend with their family' ... well thats a different reason entirely.

DeletedUser

We were asked for opinions on an attack break in this thread. We are responding with our thoughts and opinions on having an attack break. Didn't know that voicing an opinion in response to someone asking for that opinion is complaining. But can think that complaining about people voicing their opinions is a form of complaining, lol.

What I was saying and what seems to be misunderstood though MrMacMan seems to understand it is that acknowledging and having a holiday for one set of people/faith/whatever and sugar coating the reasoning is just that sugarcoating. I don't force others to follow what I think of as or should be holidays nor do I think that others should force theirs on me but that is besides the point. It isn't a me vrs them issue either.

There will most likely be a holiday break for one religion coming up soon. If they are going to do it for one they should do it for all or not do it for any or allow people to choose their own holidays.

Politics and religion are things that have and should have no bearing on a game.

DeletedUser656

The holiday break is nothing to do with the staff wanting a holiday.

We normally have an attack break over the Christmas period and new year period for two reasons:

1. Most players are away during this time period. Over Christmas day I believe traffic dips by about 50%. No other religious holiday has any noticeable effect.
2. Tribalwars.net is played predominantly by players from America, the UK and Canada. The major/official religion in those countries is Christianity.

I know many people that aren't Christian that celebrate Christmas or spend it with family.

As far as I am aware we have not yet announced anything about an attack break this year.

DeletedUser40757

We normally have an attack break over the Christmas period and new year period for two reasons:

1. Most players are away during this time period. Over Christmas day I believe traffic dips by about 50%. No other religious holiday has any noticeable effect.
2. Tribalwars.net is played predominantly by players from America, the UK and Canada. The major/official religion in those countries is Christianity.

I know many people that aren't Christian that celebrate Christmas or spend it with family.

As far as I am aware we have not yet announced anything about an attack break this year.
This is all just theoretical until the announcement comes, but some advance warning would be nice to avoid finding out 20 minutes after you launch that your attacks will just turn into a visit for a beer or something like that :lol:

DeletedUser

First off i'd like to make a joke saying that i'm glad my support ticket has been escalated. (but in all seriousness it is a privilege to see you post here)

Secondly, upon being told that attacks dont matter during the break, yes there is going to be a drop in people playing.

Thirdly, none of those countries have official religions. I can give you census figures from all regions but i doubt that will sway your position. All of those countries have significant diversity in terms of religion, especially the demographics who your game draws (has access to the net, 14-50, has experience with gaming).

I'm dont have any background or culture i share with the Chinese, but every year i celebrate with my Chinese friends the entire day. (enemies feel free to take note)

We have assumed the Christmas break is planned, obviously there has been no official announcements as of yet.

My point is that with the many diverse backgrounds that your players have (i know people from England, Columbia, Canada, Norway, etc - all from this game) a decision to make a *singular holiday* break benefits some players over others - and in a game that is very much PvP this will draw fire.

Even if a good deal of players agree those who want to keep playing -- their hands are just bound.

A solution that allows a player to choose what holiday break they want is would at least give everyone an equal playing field. I know similar games that allow a vacation mode, i know that UK has nighttime sleep bonus -- there are many ways to implement such a system.

I know the game isnt perfect, and i'm not trying to cause a ruckus. I just want to put forward some alternates to what we assume might be coming down the pipe and how we feel about having something this game changing be based around religion.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I agree with MrMacMan and he puts it in words much better then I do.

Here is a thought if everyone is off having their holiday then they won't be attacking anyone anyways so no need for an attack break. Naturally everyone will not be off having a holiday though. An attack break provides most benefit to the people that would otherwise be attacked and provides no benefit to the person that would be doing the attacking.

DeletedUser40757

A solution that allows a player to choose what holiday break they want is would at least give everyone an equal playing field. I know similar games that allow a vacation mode, i know that UK has nighttime sleep bonus -- there are many ways to implement such a system.

I know the game isnt perfect, and i'm not trying to cause a ruckus. I just want to put forward some alternates to what we assume might be coming down the pipe and how we feel about having something this game changing be based around religion.
A player choosing when they wish to take the holiday break could create havoc...
a major op is planned on a player, they find out, and opt to take their break at that point. they have time to stack their villages, while the attackers can't do anything about it. sure you can wait, but you would lose some of the advantage of suprise.

having a set break, whatever it is called is much better, if we have to take a break at all.

DeletedUser

A choice on the break where it is set up months in advance. Not and never an instant break. But where you once a year within say 90-120 days of the dates you want set your "holiday" you can cancel but not choose earlier then 90-or 120 or whatever days ahead. Thus players can't create havoc by deciding that major ops times is a good time to take a break lol.

DeletedUser

I love the Christmas period only because you get to enjoy quality time with your family and friends. Everyone at my workplace, no matter their religious view, gets that time off to just rejuvenate after a long year - with no complaints mind you :) I'd hate for us to not have that break again this year.

I also see merit in offering us maybe an additional 2 or 3 days off annually to celebrate other personal events. That way people can have their Chinese New Year or their Golden Anniversary or whatever else makes them happy as well as the Christmas break.

DeletedUser

It could be said that that is what the account sitting function is for :xmas eek:

DeletedUser656

First off i'd like to make a joke saying that i'm glad my support ticket has been escalated. (but in all seriousness it is a privilege to see you post here)

Secondly, upon being told that attacks dont matter during the break, yes there is going to be a drop in people playing.

Thirdly, none of those countries have official religions. I can give you census figures from all regions but i doubt that will sway your position. All of those countries have significant diversity in terms of religion, especially the demographics who your game draws (has access to the net, 14-50, has experience with gaming).

I'm dont have any background or culture i share with the Chinese, but every year i celebrate with my Chinese friends the entire day. (enemies feel free to take note)

We have assumed the Christmas break is planned, obviously there has been no official announcements as of yet.

My point is that with the many diverse backgrounds that your players have (i know people from England, Columbia, Canada, Norway, etc - all from this game) a decision to make a *singular holiday* break benefits some players over others - and in a game that is very much PvP this will draw fire.

Even if a good deal of players agree those who want to keep playing -- their hands are just bound.

Maybe not an 'official' religion, but in England Christianity is certainly the most popular (70% I think?).

Basically:

Most players are away during these two time periods. The decrease is not related to the attack break as I have noted the exact same pattern on other games. Therefore, we have an attack break during these two time periods. There's nothing more to it really. We get the same small amount of people crying out about favouring Christianity every year and it's always an extremely small amount of people. Everyone else understands the logic behind the decision.

A vacation mode has been suggested before and is extremely impracticable for numerous reasons.

The game isn't being changed by religion, we have a small break across the two time periods where most players don't want to have to stay on Tribal Wars all day.

There's no need to have a break for other less popular holidays as players can simply use the account sitting feature.

DeletedUser

I'm in agreement with the mods in that Christmas is massively different in America, the UK and most of Europe to any other holiday, to suggest otherwise is quite frankly laughable.

The vast majority of people I know (I wouldn't hesitate to say all to be honest) are not religious at all and yet they all celebrate Christmas. In my experience I'd say that for most people its not so much a religious holiday anymore but a holiday to share with Family and Friends.

You complain about other holidays not getting the same treatment but show me another holiday which has such a massive impact in the US and UK as Christmas? Or am I missing the coca-cola Ramadan adverts? Or the Kwanzaa decorations in every house and shop across the country for a month?

Its not TW giving Christmas preferential treatment, its the entire country.

DeletedUser

I personally like the break, can rebuild some troops for the new years without having to scatter to defend, I can not log in for a day or two and not worry about it.. It's like.. the one break we have a year so why don't you enjoy it? Rebuild some D and nukes, get ready for the new years ;)

I know I'm going to que my villages before the break to max with troops and not log in until the break ends lol :)

DeletedUser

I probly would be as against it if it didn't work out giving the people on the defensive a break and an advantage.

So if the game was put on a pause or something where nothing whatsoever was able to be done during the time period such as not even troops recruited and buildings not built then it would be better.

As is there will probly be a bunch of barbs nobled as ds right before and the whole time period will be used to build the walls and get troops in there so that it takes entirely too many nukes to clear. Thus wasting a lot of peoples time and effort.

bomberace101

Rashelle you say the last part like its a bad thing :icon_wink:

And im sorry this turned from a "what you gonna do with your time off" to "why are we having time off, i need to be here destroying people while they are away"

DeletedUser

LOL Bomber I thought it was an opinion one. As for what I'm going to do is most likely go spent it with family and friends and probly me cook another turkey lol so I can have leftover turkey sandwiched for lunches over the next week again.

DeletedUser

It could be said that that is what the account sitting function is for :xmas eek:

That suggestion wasn't for me. I am more then happy with the Christmas break :)

TW just does not mean that much to me :p

DeletedUser

Rashelle you say the last part like its a bad thing :icon_wink:

And im sorry this turned from a "what you gonna do with your time off" to "why are we having time off, i need to be here destroying people while they are away"

I'm going to be trying to keep world piece by negotiating over Christmas dinner as to who gets the most Custard :icon_eek:

Damn savages I live with :icon_redface:

On the plus side I can walk the dog in the snow hopefully <3

Status
Not open for further replies.