Guide Library

DeletedUser

ok the mass fake script is absolutely awesome

but im having trouble where the "t" run through keeps highlighting the coords field and when pressing t.. it skips to next tab and enters ttttttttttt into my coordinate field.. so the last process is not running correct for me

ive applied all of the other applications appropriately but cant seem to get this one to work, can you give me a hint as to what i may be able to do to fix this ??
Disclaimers and other quasi-legalese
This is simply a directory. I do not own the rights to any guide that is not my original work. If you do not want your work listed here, I will remove it on request. If you have issues with a guide listed in this library, please contact the guide’s creator. I am not responsible for issues resulting from use of any work linked in this library.​
I try to help out with every question I can. However, due to the amount of content in this library, I don't actually know the specifics of each guide. Hence the disclaimer at the bottom of the library - you will get better help on that thread and from the guide's creator than from me.

joetalk

i manged to modify it and get it to work, thanks for the guide again :)

oh, and if your interested in a version of this mass faking script that can be used for farming ... mail me in 63

DeletedUser

Have posted a thread and waiting to get it approved in the general forum. Will put this up in the meanwhile, feel free to give feedback and will edit and add recognition accordingly.

LATE GAME DEFENDING - THE NEMESIS123

[spoil]Introduction

Some people love to send hundreds of nukes and nobles and crush their opponents into the ground. You may call me a masochist, but I am the sort of person who derives great enjoyment at watching those same hundreds of nukes and nobles hit my villages. What I really enjoy though is seeing those nukes and nobles hit stacks and imagining the expression on my opponents face when he spent all his nukes and didn’t even manage to remove a single level from my villages walls. This, I think, is quite sadistic. I do not consider myself a brilliant defender, but I do believe I understand the theory well enough to help people who don’t quite know how to defend properly. This brings me to a few weeks ago when friend asked me for a recommendation of a good guide on defending for use by his tribe. Naturally, I turned to the Tribal Wars Forum’s guide library to look for one. I was quite surprised to find that most of them were outdated, didn’t contain explanations for modern defensive strategies such as web support and none I felt captured the essence of being a strong defender. It was for these reasons that I decided to write this guide.

This guide is not going to teach you how to snipe, backtime, stack, tag, renoble or any other of a plethora of techniques used whilst defending. I feel that these concepts are explained adequately in other guides and that you should read them before coming here. It is also not going to explain much about earlygame and is going to focus on more middle-late game. Instead, this guide teaches you to laugh at tribal Ops, closerange nobling, mass faking and the best attackers this game has to offer whilst drinking a cold beverage on a tropical beach completely relaxed contemplating having another eight-hour snooze. Like the sound of that? Then this is the guide for you.

What is defending all about?

You wake up to find a plethora of incomings. You called for support from your tribe and they sent you some defense. You lose loads of villages anyway. This is because most modern offensives, both on a player level and a tribal level rely on the defender not being adequately prepared, inactive or not skilled enough to take on an attack. If you had to call for support, then you were not properly prepared. You were playing as black in chess, reacting rather than taking the initiative, meaning your chance of winning is lowered in high level play. Top-level defenders never play as black, they always play as white. Beyond the basic techniques, defending is about preparing a counter in advance for all possibilities of enemy attack. Most of the hard work is not done whilst battling, but before the war even begins. Your job during battling is to watch as your enemy flounders on your carefully planned preemptive counters and see your hard work fulfilled in enemy failure. With that said, let’s move onto how we go about that.

Before the Conflict begins

Your job as a defender starts long before the conflict even begins. Have a quick look around your map and assume that if they aren’t in your tribe or aren’t your mother that they are going to attack you some time in the future. Note down which villages are within an 8 hour noble distance from an enemy front. Now you are armed with that knowledge, you can start pestering your leader (if you aren’t the leader) about prestacking. Prestacking is essentially the same as stacking except it takes place before a conflict begins. Because there is no conflict yet, it is best to use web support as the method of support. Web/packet support is explained briefly in Googly’s defensive techniques guide and is a stacking technique that spreads out defensive losses around a tribe.

In the strongest defensive tribes in the middle/late game, all fronts should be stacked preemptively incase of enemy launch. This does weaken concentration of troops and is not recommended unless you have a considerable backline, but will put your tribe in much better stead incase of the worst-case scenario. If your tribe is unable to do that, then you prioritize. You stack against your biggest threats first. How much should you stack? That is depending on the period of the game and is something you will have to figure out yourself. My recommendation is to have 50-75% of your backline troops on the front at all times with 25-50% in reserve to top up defense during the war and defend against attacks behind the frontline. Tribes should avoid scenarios where frontliners support themselves as much as possible so they have more mobile defense to use for quick term support in wars.

Most people will feel safe defending if they have 5-8 full defenses in each of their villages their frontlines, which will stop 10-20 full Os in their tracks for any village and force the opponent to nuke from longrange, making defending a piece of cake. This is easier done than thought, as long as mandatory prestacking is enforced by your leader. This also gives your frontliners confidence, which allows them to perform better and go on the attack more in wars as they aren't in a significant amount of danger. Make sure that all players in the tribe are treated equally proportional to the threat of the front as discrimination in prestacking will hurt morale. How deep should you stack? I personally try to stack around 8 hours noble distance in from the frontline. This allows you to have a break or some sleep and not have to worry too much about villages being taken close-range.

I have written a bit on stacking and have spoilered it below. Basically, the higher the stack, the better.

[SPOIL]Why Stacking is so Overpowered - A guide to crushing offensive opponents with superior defensive numbers

Everyone knows that stacking is a technique to defend against Offense, but most people do not realise how strong stacking is. I consider myself quite a strong defensive player and think I know what I am doing when it comes to defence. What I'm basically going to crunch some numbers to show how strong stacking really is and why defense is stronger than offense in the late game despite offense having quicker build times. To start off, I'm going to use the TW simulator to simulate some Defense vs. Offense clashes.

All simulations will be controlled as followed:

- Nuke (6164 axe, 2926 lcav, 300 ma, 220 ram) - 20468 farm space
- Defence (6468 spear, 5000 archer, 1500 hcav) - 20468 farm space
- 100% morale
- 0% luck
- Level 20 wall.

The next part is not that interesting but is necessary proof for graphs to come later.

Simulation of Nukes vs 1 full Defence + Level 20 wall:

8279345793_1d1b8983df_z.jpg

8279345843_e157e8b153_z.jpg

You lose 1 nuke and take the rest of the D out easily on the second. To put it as a number, you lose 1.26 full O's to take out the enemy's full D. Lets now double this.

Simulation of Nukes vs 2 full Defences + Level 20 wall:

8279355505_e9c590c400_z.jpg

8280413036_f5f1cb451d_z.jpg

8279355625_130ba5d5cd_z.jpg

8279355689_eb18b8f4cc_z.jpg

It takes 3.08 full Os to take out 2 full Ds. Now lets this again with 3 full Ds.

Simulation of Nukes vs 3 full Defences + Level 20 wall:

8280470936_bffd204858_z.jpg

Damage by rams: The wall has been damaged and downgraded from level 20 to level 19

8280471008_9a91bf1fb2_z.jpg

8279412945_5abd72cd04_z.jpg

8280471088_f75bc2f180_z.jpg

8279413091_e760c5692d_z.jpg

8280471184_fc689b8e9d_z.jpg

We can conclude that 5.15 full Os kill 3 full Ds.

Simulation of Nukes vs 4 full Defences + Level 20 wall:

8279372735_bc08107e20_z.jpg

8280430434_55b9b80524_z.jpg

8279372843_3de2a05035_z.jpg

8280430540_9faef37a64_z.jpg

8280430608_0e47bf3971_z.jpg

8279373017_5917441d85_z.jpg

8279373069_78d7142312_z.jpg

8279373115_82ec7f3f09_z.jpg

It takes 7.57 full Os to kill 4 full Ds

Processing the Raw Data

Now we have the raw data for the first four full Ds, we can analyse that data to discover meaningful results. By dividing the number of full Os died by the number of Ds, we can find the number of Os killed per full D killed for different number of starting Ds. Ive also added in 5-8 full Ds to get more data points.

1 full D: 1.26 Offenses died per full D killed
2 full Ds: 3.08/2 = 1.54 Offenses died per full D killed
3 full Ds: 5.15/3 = 1.71 Offenses died per full D killed
4 full Ds: 7.57/4 = 1.89 Offenses died per full D killed
5 full Ds: 10.09/5 = 2.02 Offenses died per full D killed
6 full Ds: 13.23/6 = 2.20 Offense died per full D killed
7 full Ds: 17.17/7 = 2.45 Offense died per full D killed
8 full Ds: 21.27/8 = 2.65 Offense died per full D killed

This just gives you an idea of how stacking kills off more and more Offense per D village as the stacks get bigger. This does eventually slope off into the higher numbers as it is not an exponential growth. That said, you can use this to give you an idea of what you should stack with. Your opponent has 1.5 times as many Os as you have Ds? You should stack with 2+ defenses. Your opponent has twice as many Os as you have Ds? You should stack with 5+ defenses.

Anyways, this gave me an idea to find the number of Os it would take to kill off a theoretical number of Ds. I made a graph of the above data and added a polynomial best fit line as it suited the data:

8280538672_ecb17301aa_z.jpg

Using the equation of the best fit line, one can find out the number of Os needed to clear for a theoretical number of Ds. For example with 15Ds:

y = 0.205x[SUP]2[/SUP]+1.079x
y = 0.205(225)+1.079*15
y = 62.31 Os

I calculated an actual value of 58.31Os so it is a bit off, but for modelling 1-12Ds (it is unlikely you will encounter villages over 12Ds), it is very close to the mark.

Conclusion

In conclusion, stacking, co-ordinated with web support is killer. The bigger stack, the better. Have fun killing enemy O for cheap.[/SPOIL]

You then want to do other things to help you prepare for an upcoming war. If you don't have a coplayer, now would be a good time to look for one that can cover the times when you are off and make your life easier. If you can't find a coplayer, try get a system set up of sitters to defend accounts on the frontline. No matter how bad the situation is, make sure an account is never left unattended. Often the difference between victory and loss is the difference in the activity of the two sides frontliners so make sure your tribe is in the better position. Finally you are ready, or at least you are as ready as you can be for the upcoming war.

The War

The war has began and your enemy has started attacking. You are tagging using opera (or if lucky you have got a mass tagger and press it once in a while) and waiting for attacks to arrive. Your job here is to study your opponent, which will make your life easier in future. Communication with your tribe is vital as they can tell you habits of your opponents (such as faking with defensive villages) that will make your sleep longer. Look for patterns like which village your opponents are sending attacks to, who sends fakes, who doesn't, how they like to noble, which areas does such and such a player have villages around your front. I don't have time to go into every detail and couldn't give a solution to every situation but be flexible to your situation. Move your local D around to villages being nuked so that they lose less defense and move them infront of close range trains to cripple your enemy's advance in that area.

In a few days, you will notice that your defensive troops are gradually falling. You will want to be in constant contact with players in order to get top ups. Again, play as the white player in chess and do not wait for the village to get cleared before you restack it. If it looks like there is 8 nukes incoming to a village with 7 full Ds in, you are probably going to lose 3-4 full Ds so arrange for another 3-4 to replace them in advance and put your own D in there until their D gets there. That way your opponent is not able to take advantage of your loss of defense. You will be dodging offensive troops (which you will do by sending them all to attack enemy villages and then forgetting about them), but if all goes well defensively, your job is quite limited and you will have a lot of free time and will be under little stress.

This is because you will ideally doing none of the time consuming parts of defending where you have to be on the computer at all times and instead treating it as a normal day of TW. The two techniques I am referring to that you should avoid like the plague are sniping and renobling. These are delay tactics instead of defensive tactics when you have lost all stacks in a village and are advised only as last resorts if they allow you to delay the opponent long enough to get stacks into the village. You should avoid them because they are a waste of your valuable time. Ensure long breaks from TW by having coplayers and having stacks so you don't need to be glued to a screen any more than you usually are.

Depending on your opponent, you will get to a point where your opponent wound up by your defensive actions. They might even moan in the public forums that you prepared for the war in advance or you are too stacked. This is a compliment and you should take it as such. The best part is that you aren't doing anything special and there is little skill or timing involved. Your job is just to ensure your frontline is stacked to the number of Ds you need and let them do all the work. You will find that most players give up attacking against stacks before you give up defending those stacks (as you don't have anything to do except rack up ODD and laugh at your opponents). They might be the opposite and try a tribal Op, but your response is the exact same, except with extra D and you should be able to pattern out an attack in advance and relax in the knowledge that your front is well defended.

Counters

Stacking is the strongest kind of defense in TW and is even stronger in paladin worlds with weapons due to the bonfire. Attacking a player with loads of bonfires is an even bigger nightmare as it makes stacking a lot easier. That said, it isn't foolproof. Like all defensive techniques, they are useless if the player is inactive or does not take the initiative to replace lost troops. If you have enough troops, you can break through the stacks and this defensive strategy really depends on the enemy not hugely outnumbering you. If you are at a late enough stage of the game, you can go against disadvantages in size better due to the increased effect of larger stacks. Other things to be wary of are weak points. It is the defenders job to patch up weak points before the attacker notices them, especially big weak points like players lacking defense. There is also the issue of commitment in that if the tribe is not committed to defending its mates, then the front will be weak all around. A strong frontline relies on the full participation of the tribe, volunteering simply doesn't work. Backline catapulting also helps a bit too but only when you have tribal commitment to it otherwise the player will just recover with no advantage taken. With account manager nowadays, this strategy becomes less and less effective because it drains the server rather than draining the defender's energy in rebuilding.

Conclusion

If you know what you are doing, keep calm and relax, you can deal with most threats quite easily by just having stacks ready in advance and restocking as needed. It is the enemy's job to make you quit and therefore get easy villages and stacking and co-ordinating with your defensive co-ordinator or duke to organise topping up regularly (there is a script out there for this) is the best counter to this as it is not energy intensive for the defender and therefore the defender is less likely to succumb under pressure. At the end of the day, if you don't quit and your enemy counterpart does, then your tribe will probably win the war. Best of luck in your fights and I hope this guide helped you.

Dylan Atkin[/spoil]

sidd 271

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
well written. The equation is really awesome.

However i do feel you are kinda under estimating sniping. I agree stacking is better if you are frontline. But still sniping is the best tool when your tribe is not good enough or smaller.Unluckily everyone doesn't have luxury of so much D. Plus at late game stage accounts are quite wide spread so sniping is very important till the support arrives.

Another thing is in late game lots of players cat-fake your backline with 40-50 cats .This takes down 2-3 level of buildings. So what i advise is to train 100 swords in all of your villages to avoid this. I am a sword hater but these 100 swords becomes really handy at that time.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

well written. The equation is really awesome.

However i do feel you are kinda under estimating sniping. I agree stacking is better if you are frontline. But still sniping is the best tool when your tribe is not good enough or smaller.Unluckily everyone doesn't have luxury of so much D. Plus at late game stage accounts are quite wide spread so sniping is very important till the support arrives.

Another thing is in late game lots of players cat-fake your backline with 40-50 cats .This takes down 2-3 level of buildings. So what i advise is to train 100 swords in all of your villages to avoid this. I am a sword hater but these 100 swords becomes really handy at that time.

My personal opinion is that if you are outnumbered to the extent that you cannot even stack against your opponent, you have probably have other bigger problems to worry about or are doomed anyways. I'm not suggesting that this is the be all and end all of guides nor is it a miracle worker. I like to think that this is a way which you can best prepare for fights you have a chance of winning so long as you get your act together. It does rely on tribes being somewhat organised (which I didn't mention) though which is not every tribe I realise. That said, if a guy reads this and says he wants to try this out in his tribe, its an opportunity to change the way his tribe works rather than to dismiss the theoretics behind the strategy.

I did state that the guide is for lategame where people will have more D, but I understand you are always going to have certain villages cleared and may need to snipe trains. I think I mentioned that it was a delay tactic and should be used primarily to buy time for stacking (to put it simply, you run out of steam if you just snipe), I don't think it should be the first port of call for defenders and those that prioritise sniping over a big stack are not as good at defending. Ideally as a defender I think you want to be as lazy as possible and sniping forces you to be on at certain times and send certain supports which I think stresses defenders out and makes them more likely to quit in the long term which is why I try not to rely on it.

As for the cats, I did mention it vaguely, but I think its on people to be flexible in the way they defend. I cannot tell them everything in my guide, didn't really want to go into builds and why they are comprised of certain units as I think thats been covered in other guides. If the opponent throws a curveball, it is the onus of the defender to think up a solution. Its main focus is stopping the main threats...the account falling apart, the owner quitting, the loss of huge number of villages.

sidd 271

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
but sniping is fun when support is lil far and you keep on sniping as long as the support is in transit :D
in defending its always about how good you are at moving your troops anyways.

DeletedUser

I should be able to add your guide to 4.2; I'll put it on my list of guides to add. Haven't read it in full detail yet, but I didn't notice any glaring errors skimming through it.

One Last Shot...

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Have posted a thread and waiting to get it approved in the general forum. Will put this up in the meanwhile, feel free to give feedback and will edit and add recognition accordingly.

Nicely done mate.

Interesting to see people actually read my crap and someone found it useful enough to reference it for people to use - almost makes me feel like an academic :icon_redface:

DeletedUser

I love how you continue to update this. The best guide is a guide to the guides. Great Work!

DeletedUser

Am still working on that new version. It will contain at least 30 new guides (probably closer to 35 but I can't guarantee that), and everything will be rerated with a more consistent scale. The Compilations, Tools and Links section will be revamped and given ratings. I'm giving myself a deadline of New Year's to get it done by, but I'm sure you guys know how bad I am with those deadlines :lol:

I also just added a minor update so that there's now a link to add me on Skype (alternately, if I'm added already, it'll open up a chat with me). You need Skype installed for this to work, but no browser extensions are necessary.

Mostly though, the point of this post is to let everyone know that I am still working on the Library, however infrequent it may be.

Repinski

​Not sure if I ever let you know or not but my guide got updated at the start of world 70.

DeletedUser

Great guide library and all the guides people have made. It took me a long time because I read all except for a few of the beginner and low rated guides.
I found all that reading already placed me in a better mind set and game plan then every before I am not saying I am not a great player but all these guides will help propel my game to the next level thanks.

DeletedUser

Im going to probably update my guide sometime in the future to reflect slight changes in the metagame.

DeletedUser

Fantastically helpful. This makes being a newb not as bad.:icon_smile:

DeletedUser94483

Dodging 101.

Basic daily dodging guide.

There are multiple ways to deal with the rigors and pain of
dodging.

I am going to write this guide so the most basic unlearned player
possible could do and follow. This guide also will NOT require
opera to properly work though it DOES help and will be written
as if you HAVE opera.

Lets start with the idea you have already tagged all current
incoming and are a premium user for this version.

Go to your incoming screen notice what attacks you have coming in
within the next x number of hours. Depending on your quantity
and timing of your incoming will determine the factor of x.

Example is as follows:
[spoil]
Ram Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 132.8 tomorrow at 01:13:32:368 2:48:40
Ram Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 132.5 tomorrow at 01:47:13:643 3:22:21
Ram Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 104.6 tomorrow at 01:57:16:802 3:32:24
Ram Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 417.8 tomorrow at 02:04:56:831 3:40:04
Ram Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 163.5 tomorrow at 02:28:20:582 4:03:28
Ram Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 106.6 tomorrow at 02:56:24:073 4:31:32
Ram Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 165.5 tomorrow at 03:26:36:137 5:01:44
[/spoil]

In this case you have no URGENT defense needed unless you are getting ready for bed or to go out and go to work etc. We will still work on this example. You would open defender village by holding ctrl+shift and clicking on your village names in each of these incoming. This will open the village with the incoming in your background tab. Once you have your in this case 7 villages open in the background tab(trying to avoid clicking the same village twice) you can close the incoming page.

From here you will on the first tab see incoming to that village...if it is just 1 incoming it becomes relatively easy to handle the dodging. You pay attention to how long it will take before that village attack lands. In this case your first attack that you should be looking at should be landing in 2:48:40. So this means that the CLOSEST village you can dodge to needs to be a minimum of 1:24:21 away from your village to safely dodge. Now as you start mass dodging thousands of incoming you really will not care to be SO precise.
Now that you know how far out you have to dodge you go to the map by clicking the map button in your upper left hand of your screen. On the map you find a barb that is a MINIMUM of the distance you must dodge and send your troops to attack this village. This will cause it so that your troops RETURN to your village after the attack lands.

Now most people would think they are done here...no you are not. From here you return to your villages rally point and rename the incoming attack you just dodged. You can do that by clicking the notepad looking item next to the attacks name.

There is a standard table I personally like to use and I will explain each one if not in depth.

Dodged-Means that this incoming attack whether fake or real your troops are safe.
Need Dodging-Usually only put this in when I have multiple incoming and a new incoming gets sent while my troops are dodged out and this attack lands shortly AFTER my troops get home.
Sniped-I retag villages I snipe so that the fate of those incoming is known.
Lost-This is usually for any incoming I know can not be recovered. Nothing can be done for the troops in this case.

The main reason that I HIGHLY recomend actively renaming using this table is to make your future dodges/snipes easier. On top of that alot of times when you are under attack you have members of your tribe account sit you and you want them to have a smooth transition into your account. Now everyone has there own method once they get into a habit and have gained experience...this is merely mine and not a catch all.

Alright one last section so as to cover a little more thorough when you have multiple attacks to 1 village in your dodging tab. Instead of just dodging the first attack it would be prudent to dodge as far reasonably out as possible.

Ram Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 104.6 tomorrow at 01:57:16:802 3:32:24
Ram Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 417.8 tomorrow at 02:04:56:831 3:40:04

You go to your village and find these two attacks incoming...You do not want an 8 minute gap to your next dodge..to much bad could happen AND it wastes your time...so you would dodge out your attack to come home AFTER the second attack. When you are done it should look like the following AS A MINIMUM.

Dodged Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 104.6 tomorrow at 01:57:16:802 3:32:24
Dodged Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 417.8 tomorrow at 02:04:56:831 3:40:04
Own commands (1)
Arrival time Arrives in
Attack on Barbarian village (xxx|yyy) Kxx tomorrow at 00:55:18 1:50:03

This is what your attack SHOULD look like. If a sitter picks up your account your incoming page should now look as follows as well.
[spoil]
Dodged Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 132.8 tomorrow at 01:13:32:368 2:48:40
Dodged Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 132.5 tomorrow at 01:47:13:643 3:22:21
Dodged Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 104.6 tomorrow at 01:57:16:802 3:32:24
Dodged Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 417.8 tomorrow at 02:04:56:831 3:40:04
Dodged Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 163.5 tomorrow at 02:28:20:582 4:03:28
Dodged Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 106.6 tomorrow at 02:56:24:073 4:31:32
Dodged Attacker (xxx|yyy) kxx Defender (yyy|xxx) kxx attacker name 165.5 tomorrow at 03:26:36:137 5:01:44
[/spoil]
This allows that when someone picks up your sit you are not making them work to help you. This will also help you for when YOU wake up in the morning etc.