I swear this did not start out as an anti-TW rant...

slowdowntubby

So it's been about 7 weeks since I hit the big delete button and now that I've finally got this ridiculous game out of my system I thought I'd pop in to say hi. I can safely now say that the desire to play TW is absolutely zero in me. The thought of it is actually kind of repugnant to me, which is something considering I was logged in for an average of 4-5 hrs daily for roughly 500 days straight. :|

I kind of half skimmed the 120 pages of the world war 2 thread but my brain turned to mush after a while. I did get a chuckle out of some of the ridiculous things people are saying. But really I guess I just wanted to see how the war is progressing and how some of my old mates are doing. Even though I have grown to detest the game and the negative impact it had on my life, I do still value the friendships I made here. So hello to my old friends. And rukoh and KK too I guess. :)

Now here's where I rant a bit. Feel free to disregard if that's not your thing.... who am I kidding - this is the externals! Ranting is what it's all about.

This game is really not very good. I mean just mechanically. There is no meaningful skill involved. I think you all need to stop the debates about skill now. A fast computer, a fast internet connection, the right scripts, and a basic understanding of math are what you need to play. What you need to play at a high level is a massive commitment of time, luck and good social skills. The time is the main thing though and the commitment is so massive that I guarantee it will have a negative impact on your life. That's not to say that you can't play this game and live a normal life. You can. You just won't win. And if you're like I was, playing a game not to win is not an option.

Reason #2 why TW is not a good game:

If you are playing to win and you come under attack, you have zero control over how much time you spend online. Your opponents dictate that to you based on the frequency and intensity of their attacks. You are beholden to them. This is how TW morphs from being a game played for entertainment to a burden. When I play a game, if I don't feel like playing it anymore, I turn it off and come back to it later. You can't do that in TW. This realization was the final straw for me.

Before I finally hit delete, I had tried to quit 2 times already, dating back at least 5 or 6 months. When I tried to quit then I wasn't under attack. I hadn't been attacked in about 4 months actually. I just realized how much of a drain the game was on me. I had my own massive account to maintain and I was also responsible for organizing and motivating 20 odd other players. And I spent a lot of time on skype trading cookie recipes and all that. But I was convinced by others (hi wiz!) that I could successfully curb my online time by shedding some responsibilities and giving myself a daily limit of 1 hr. That lasted not very long. Soon enough I was back to leading a whole war group and playing upwards of 10 hrs a day.

I tried to quit cold turkey one other time a few weeks into the Deus war. I was under very light attack then but there was no coordination and the attacks were exceedingly poor. I honestly can type this with a straight face: I was spending inordinate amounts of time online because it was so bloody easy to noble Deus villages everywhere I looked! The reason of course is because I was online ALL THE TIME and everything was close range. That's hard to defend, as I would learn soon enough. But it was getting boring. At the time I probably had over 80 conquers and 0 losses. Through sheer willpower I did not log in for 8 days maybe 2 weeks before christmas. During those 8 days I felt great. I was sleeping right and eating right. And I had so much freetime on my hands! But then I started to feel bad about the friends I had left behind without even saying goodbye. And the people who I felt were counting on me. So I logged in, set one of my longtime TW friends as sitter, and told wiz that I'd be taking a break and back in the new year. That was mid december. Before the christmas break I had my account back and was playing even more than before and nobling up a storm. I felt powerless to stay away.

Then redfox and friends ran an op on me. I guess my 110-0 conquer stats finally got noticed :D. It started after the first attack break and continued into the new year. I was online constantly for several days - renaming, dodging, stacking, etc. Everything seemed to be under control so I took a night off to actually enjoy time with my wife and some of our friends. The fact that I needed to make sure my TW was ok first really says a lot about how backwards my thinking was. I was offline for probably 10 hrs. I didn't set a sitter because I've always hated setting sitters. I know how much of time suck it is and I don't like to burden other people with my problems.

I logged back on to find several thousand new incoming attacks, many from farmhound and laforge at close range. It took me nobling right next to laforge for him to finally do something about it. Many attacks were landing in less than an hour. Several villages in my shiny new K26 cluster had already been cleared. I will say that I am certain that I could have defended and survived with minimal loss. It just would have required putting in more time. But the whole experience was just such a massive eye opener for me. My account suffered because I took time off -after spending 4 or 5 days straight basically online - to actually live my life. In something of a frenzied state I actually hit delete that night. I didn't sit down and think about it, post a goodbye letter, or anything like that. I just reacted on instinct because mentally I knew that the whole situation was backwards and this was the only remedy for me. I felt a rush of euphoria but I also couldn't stop thinking about TW for the next 7 days. I believe Shannon has already posted on here somewhere my facebook message that goes into my reasoning and methodology a bit more.

Reason #3 why TW is not a good game:

Rules enforcement is self-policed and the people who enforce the rules are mostly unpaid teenagers! Think about that. It's a joke. If I play final fantasy, I can't just pull some shenanigans, make all my characters lvl 99, and only have to worry about it if someone reports me for it. And then maybe if I'm lucky the mod who it gets reported to happens to be one of my buddies. The game won't let me do it in the first place. This is so simple and blatantly obvious to me but somehow the geniuses at inno games haven't figured out how to write something like "you can't attack the same target from your account and a sit" into the code. The game knows who is sitting whom. The game knows who is attacking whom. I'm no programmer, but surely it's possible to figure this out.

I just think that when people ruin their lives over TW one would hope that at least they were doing it knowing that all the time they put in actually means something. Sadly until cheating is absolutely abolished, that's never going to happen and you all are putting hours into playing a game that has never had a level playing field. It's one thing to waste away hours and hours in front of your computer if you think that your hard work will earn you some reward (ie winning the world). Unfortunately the fact is instead you have to wonder if the people you're playing against are even playing by the same rules as you. That's wrong and it's one of the major reasons that all the fun was sucked out of this game for me.

In conclusion, because I know that there are those among you too stupid and/or lazy to read what I have typed, I will summarize. I think TW is a poor game and is fundamentally broken. Deus was finally able to make me do what I couldn't do on my own: quit. THANK YOU DEUS. I wish we had gone to war sooner.

If there are any among you who have, because of Tribal Wars, ever:

-been late for work, appointments, or school
-experienced physical discomfort/weight gain/loss of vision
-experienced mental anguish
-neglected your friends or significant other to the point of serious damage to your relationships
-or anything else that a rational person would consider detrimental to his or her well being

The victory that you are striving for is meaningless and hollow. I strongly urge you to HIT DELETE NOW. It is the best decision you will ever make.

Peace out
~marc

DeletedUser

I agree with almost everything you say. However, I don't know about the rest of tw but I play for the social aspect of the game. For me the game just creates a scenario where you can talk/payout on each other. Nobling vills or sniping trains are just some of the little perks.

DeletedUser

TW is actually a great game. I do understand your reasons for hitting the delete button as well, rl comes first. rember this is a game not a way of life. Ive never been late for work. The only think it MIGHT have done was allowed me to neglect my wife.. but then if it wasnt TW it would probably be TV. We choose our addictions, if i wanted to spend 24 hrs with her.. i do. I just dont sign in. If i lose 30 vilalges, oh well i have 700 more. And will get those 30 back anyways. I think if you allow the game to become an addiction sit and stare at yoru screen awaiting incomigns.. or panic and freak out if you lose a few villages, then yes.. step away form the keyboard now. But, if you look at this as only a game that you try your best, and excel in it.. it really is not that bad. Now, im a gamer geek. I play countless of other games inwhich i also excel. Is this the only thing i do? no. I work, have 4 kids a wife, play hockey,golf.. i enjoy everything about my life. Am i bored with the basics of this game.. yea, timign.. long range.. i mean after 5 years it gets tedious. But i the ideals of the game (rule the world) is what drives many of us. The thought that hey.. we just won. is what many people play games. I mean do you go and play Call of duty to just run around saying HI! wanna be my friend? no, you play the game to win. I think it shows how much time you have on your hands if you bothered to come in and write about how much this game sucks. :p And your a bish for not saying goodbye :D

wIz.

DeletedUser

sir,it will be anhonour if you could give us half an hour for an interview in the upcoming weekly forum newspaper

i have heard u deleted all your accounts.so just in case u dont want to give the regular id to everyone,please skype me on
anonymous_yasir

thankyou

Last edited by a moderator:

deadsocks

Do you honestly think anyone plays TW for the graphics or gameplay? I very much doubt you've ever thought that :p. It's all about the community. Having a group identity, working to get respected from your peers and enemies, sharing trust in other people and being trusted. Having a part to play in something that affects hundreds of people.
If you let it become all zeroes and ones, you are BOUND to think of it as a "ridiculous game". You are bound to see the "victory" as "hollow".

I think what you're doing here is confronting your old addiction, distancing yourself from us. You're sticking your nose up at what you used to do. You think you've grown as a person from pulling away, when really, you are the exact same man you always were. And most likely, once you're done with TW you will move onto some new fad, such is human nature, especially for those like yourself with "addictive personalities". I can only hope you will quit whatever you move onto once you find it isn't all roses and bells, too.

I don't know you, I was away from the game when you were at your element in the tribe. But if what you have written above is a true reflection of your thoughts, I can only say I have very little respect for you.
By your own admittance, your success in the game was merely a result of a fast processor.

Best in life mate, feel free to rebut me anytime.

DeletedUser

I for one respect everything marc has written.

I truely believe that in the end the person that spends the most amount of time on this game will win. For that reason I won't win and won't care but I do still enjoy seeing nukes land and helping tribe mates out when they are under attack.

DeletedUser

sir,it will be anhonour if you could give us half an hour for an interview in the upcoming weekly forum newspaper

i have heard u deleted all your accounts.so just in case u dont want to give the regular id to everyone,please skype me on
anonymous_yasir

thankyou

I lol'd.

The Great 1One1

I agree with some of the elements of Socks' post, but the tone of which I completely disagree with. How can you say you lose respect for someone for poting his/her opinions? I may as well say I don't respect you for liking green because I prefer blue.

I, myself, have tried quitting on two previous occasions, but both times I ended up returning. I completely agree with Marc that this game is a burden at times. I play to be the best that I can be. The time spent on TW can be ridiculous at times, so that is why it was more than a good thing for me to return as a co-player.

Your reason 2 was spot on. It is one of the reasons why a fake limit has been introduced in several worlds. If you have four or five players constantly sending fakes to you around the clock, then it becomes irksome to have to spend hours and hours, renaming, dodging,stacking and sniping.

This game has a limit of how much skill is involved. Once you get to that limit, then it is all about connection speed and activity. I guess there can be variants of style in play, but even this is limited.

But why do people play TW? The same reason why people smoke, I guess.

DeletedUser

I agree that, technically, this game is shit. That goes even for the skill involved; TGO is right in that there is a maximum cap of skill/know-how you can reach, after that it's down to activity. However, most if not all people don't play the game for the game, but for the players involved. If you see TWs as not a game, but as a hobby, then it becomes more reasonable. If you like painting, then technically, painting may be 'shit', you suck at it, it takes a ton of times, costs a lot in materials, etc etc... but you still do it because of irrational reasons. I would not compare it to smoking, however. I can't see how that analogy stands.

Since I don't fall in any of the last catagories, I'm still safe, haha. All the best to ya, SDT.

slowdowntubby

lol wiz - I have soooo much free time. It's awesome! Seriously though, you know I felt awful for the way I went out. But it was the only way for me. Can you honestly say you wouldn't have tried to convince me to stay again? Either way, big love for you bro. I have much respect for you.

I guessed that I might get one or two responses like socks' and I'm fine with it. I come on here and attack a way of life for some people that is so engrained in their everyday life - I expect some people might get defensive about it. I stand by my assertions though. You say you play this game for the social aspect. I decided to quit because the game was affecting my social life. Make of that what you will. I thought that relating my experiences might be valuable to other people who were in the same situation as me. And yes it did allow me to reach some level of closure. I do not believe that you amy were ever in the same situation as me. We played the game in grossly different ways. Obviously if the way that you approach TW allows you to do so in a healthy manner than you have done much better than I did and I am happy for you.

Rukoh - what you say is true but with one major problem. If I paint for a hobby I don't have to worry about other people dictating to me when I paint and for how long. I suppose I could have done as wiz says and just taken a break and allowed my account to be decimated. With 800 odd villages I could have taken a long break and still had something to come back to. I'm not sure though how many people really have the stomach to spend so much timing building something up only to have it torn down so you can build it back up again. At that point, if I really am playing the game only for the social aspect and the nuts and bolts of nobling villages is secondary, then I choose to have my friends over to my house and play scrabble or something rather than participating in this exercise in futility.

And sorry but I have no interest in being interviewed. I'm not sure what value it would bring anyways.

DeletedUser

Marc,
I completely understand why you did what you did. I wish you the best of luck in rl. I know of a few others who have done the same and hit delete, because they knew it was best for them. Perhaps it's different for those people who do not have a family and realize how much time spent online can hurt things. I myself have had issues with that in the past...so truly I commend you on quitting and going back to enjoying life.

Best wishes

number18

Hey Marc, great to hear you are doing well.

I agree with pretty much everything you and Arty said, it takes a specific mindset to be able to play without allowing the game to consume you.

DeletedUser

lol wiz - I have soooo much free time. It's awesome! Seriously though, you know I felt awful for the way I went out. But it was the only way for me. Can you honestly say you wouldn't have tried to convince me to stay again? Either way, big love for you bro. I have much respect for you.

I guessed that I might get one or two responses like socks' and I'm fine with it. I come on here and attack a way of life for some people that is so engrained in their everyday life - I expect some people might get defensive about it. I stand by my assertions though. You say you play this game for the social aspect. I decided to quit because the game was affecting my social life. Make of that what you will. I thought that relating my experiences might be valuable to other people who were in the same situation as me. And yes it did allow me to reach some level of closure. I do not believe that you amy were ever in the same situation as me. We played the game in grossly different ways. Obviously if the way that you approach TW allows you to do so in a healthy manner than you have done much better than I did and I am happy for you.

Rukoh - what you say is true but with one major problem. If I paint for a hobby I don't have to worry about other people dictating to me when I paint and for how long. I suppose I could have done as wiz says and just taken a break and allowed my account to be decimated. With 800 odd villages I could have taken a long break and still had something to come back to. I'm not sure though how many people really have the stomach to spend so much timing building something up only to have it torn down so you can build it back up again. At that point, if I really am playing the game only for the social aspect and the nuts and bolts of nobling villages is secondary, then I choose to have my friends over to my house and play scrabble or something rather than participating in this exercise in futility.

And sorry but I have no interest in being interviewed. I'm not sure what value it would bring anyways.

I play TW and have all the free time i need haha! i set sitters ;D!!! just kidding it is a burden at times but i like to play it its fun :D

DeletedUser

lol bro, dont get me wrong, i dont blame you for quitting but also dont be a stranger. I value your friendship more then the account you held bro. You know my skype, anytime your bored and want a chat drop me a line bro. all the best to you and the miss's.

wIz.

sypherr

yea the games shit (plz dont report me bawbag), but for some reason im addicted and continue iv deleted my other worlds so its as given me more time to socialise i said you when you left if i was to ever go i would have to hit delete otheriwise i would be going about life and wondering what and how my account is doing lol.

Tribalwars as a positive side though.... 2 i can thing of.

1. the people are for the most part great nice people and a joy to play the game with dont think theres anyone in deus i hate think most i pretty dam good people.

2. when i walked out on my 5 year plus relationship it was hard for me, i shut my self of to the world and just went to work and tribalwars kept my mind busy and kept me sane took me many months to get over a long term relationship and in some ways it helped bring myself round and ease myself back into my old life, i go to work help my elderly mother with her shopping and jobs go out with las's and have time to see my mates and have a good drink now and again. I play xbox live with my real life m8's and odd game on pc tw is just part of my gaming.

Everyone has a vice in life mines gaming like many on here, other people have them gambling, alcohol, cigs other hobbys think wiz is quite partial to a bit of stamp collecting but end of the day whatever floats ya boat ;)

I think tw as been a good thing in my life as its brought me fun and enjoyment nearly as much as the final fantasy series or bf2 or ghost recon of old.

take care sdt m8.

p.s fancy co playing? :D hehe

DeletedUser55663

O Gawd, I actually read everything in this thread. I never do that.

Although it's good you finally got out, Tubby.

DeletedUser

yes you would because u dont care.he wont return to answers the unsaid question and so the mystery remains.he wont return to flame people to to prove them wrong.

Return to what? The pnp? Well he has :icon_neutral:
The game? That's kinda the point in this thread.

And what unsaid questions are you on about? As far as I can see, this thread is about answering questions regarding his departure. There is no mystery; he left because TW is crap and involves too much hardwork for not enough reward; in a nutshell.

DeletedUser

Honestly, I was wondering where Tubby went, and his sidekick to.

Batman and Robin right?

The good'al days...