Newsletter #8 - Premium change - 2010-03-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser656

I've seen people mentioning ads as well generating revenue.

Umm what ads?
I didn't even know this game had ads until I switched to Opera browser from Firefox with adblock. Of course I then simply enabled the content block feature and ignored the extra frame. Wow, the new premium features include a block on those ads? Once again, I say WOW! The new pricing feature is soooo awesome!

Collect your money while you have the ability Innogames... fill them pockets.

*Yaz starts singing a song by Billy Joel from the album Storm Front. (track 2)

People increasingly blocking ads is one of the reasons InnoGames makes less money.

DeletedUser

People increasingly blocking ads is one of the reasons InnoGames makes less money.

Why not try to aware the Community of that problem? Would it be possible to get back to the old prices, not premium tariff, if everyone could see the ads?

This is purely hypothetical, I'm almost sure no one would click them anyway.

DeletedUser60182

Does the premium charge for block ads not cover this? It's quite expensive to actually block ads isn't it. :icon_redface:

DeletedUser656

Why not try to aware the Community of that problem? Would it be possible to get back to the old prices, not premium tariff, if everyone could see the ads?

This is purely hypothetical, I'm almost sure no one would click them anyway.

No, as it's likely one of the smaller reasons.

Does the premium charge for block ads not cover this? It's quite expensive to actually block ads isn't it. :icon_redface:

I was referring to those who used an ad blocker rather than purchasing no ads mode.

Metal Duck

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
Will the extra income they generate from this be reinvested back into the game? Or taken out by the owners? If its the latter that would be a bit dissapointing.

DeletedUser60182

Meh, it's a business. Maybe they deserve a bit extra-dosh for the service they are providing.

It's funny how everyone seems to charitable :lol:. If it was most peoples business, I'm sure they'd choose a bit more money when it was viable.

DeletedUser

Meh, it's a business. Maybe they deserve a bit extra-dosh for the service they are providing.

It's funny how everyone seems to charitable :lol:. If it was most peoples business, I'm sure they'd choose a bit more money when it was viable.

We are doing the customers act :icon_razz:

Prices raise we have the need to complain lol.

DeletedUser

I new account recently changed owner. He cannot pay for premium and his parents doesnt let him. One more to cover.
Two players just noticed the price change and saw that they can't pay, their parents were against them playing games so they had to pay by sms/cell. They don't want to accept my money, however them quitting will cost me time instead.

The fourth guy lost his job and is getting a hard time to pay.

These are four new players to cover which I didn't need to help before.

While not all have seen the premium change(remember that only a small amount activity read the public forum), the amount I as duke need to help out increase. If I don't help players then they're useless and ranked as an inactive. While some of us can pay premium the larger amount of players can't. Kids can't always pay either and try to cover a month with sms.

I got my rent covered most likely until August where I start paying it myself. That would mean about 425,80$ (known and planned since long ago) loss without calculating for the premium. I wont pay more than I feel the game is worth. It isn't just amount of players paying premium that is lost, it's activity as well which is what make the players advertise about it.

This is my situation, I'm sure we got several others who help people with their premium and receives more requests now. It would be good to hear more opinions, I remember myself that when I first had a Maestro card or whatever it was called then I couldn't pay on Tw with it. So I had to ask others which I paid until I got myself a Visa card. Were free as one was studying apparently. I believe a lot might be in the same situation, more than some are just poor. It isn't often that I see kids being allowed to pay for online games. If a certain percent of a tribe paid for their premium then the rest would gain as well. It might be easier rather than more being without premium. If more gets premium then it'll save a lot of advertisements costs, there were other games at least long ago which used that method. It might be more fun if it isn't a few players trying to cover a whole tribe or rather 1-2.

Activity leads to money, less activity means less money.

As well, I could spend 800$ or more every month(I wouldn't). However the question is if I really want that and not what a company wants me to.

A humble player

I new account recently changed owner. He cannot pay for premium and his parents doesnt let him. One more to cover.
Two players just noticed the price change and saw that they can't pay, their parents were against them playing games so they had to pay by sms/cell. They don't want to accept my money, however them quitting will cost me time instead.

The fourth guy lost his job and is getting a hard time to pay.

These are four new players to cover which I didn't need to help before.

While not all have seen the premium change(remember that only a small amount activity read the public forum), the amount I as duke need to help out increase. If I don't help players then they're useless and ranked as an inactive. While some of us can pay premium the larger amount of players can't. Kids can't always pay either and try to cover a month with sms.

I got my rent covered most likely until August where I start paying it myself. That would mean about 425,80$ (known and planned since long ago) loss without calculating for the premium. I wont pay more than I feel the game is worth. It isn't just amount of players paying premium that is lost, it's activity as well which is what make the players advertise about it.

This is my situation, I'm sure we got several others who help people with their premium and receives more requests now. It would be good to hear more opinions, I remember myself that when I first had a Maestro card or whatever it was called then I couldn't pay on Tw with it. So I had to ask others which I paid until I got myself a Visa card. Were free as one was studying apparently. I believe a lot might be in the same situation, more than some are just poor. It isn't often that I see kids being allowed to pay for online games. If a certain percent of a tribe paid for their premium then the rest would gain as well. It might be easier rather than more being without premium. If more gets premium then it'll save a lot of advertisements costs, there were other games at least long ago which used that method. It might be more fun if it isn't a few players trying to cover a whole tribe or rather 1-2.

Activity leads to money, less activity means less money.

As well, I could spend 800$ or more every month(I wouldn't). However the question is if I really want that and not what a company wants me to.
So stop?
With the original prices, you could cover like one more player (with the money saved from these four). In your case, the prem isn't the problem, it is your need to buy it for every tribe member.

DeletedUser

No, it's gets more expensive since I need to pay for more players. And money wasn't saved from the last four, it were another four who needed premium.

Why it's important that they get premium is because we would lose a whole front in days if they didn't. That's how easy it'll be to take out players without premium, it'll be the same as attacking an inactive. And from an 8 million account, who would send nukes or fakes?

If I stop helping people from the tribe with premium it would remove around 2500-3000 nukes that's available on a front, it'll be harder to fight through the enemy and these without premium will go inactive which later on cost time and nobles.

It's the same as the tribe hitting delete. That's how useless it would be, there wouldn't be anyone worth to lead and why put all that time or effort when nothing will happen? Time is money, money is time. For some of us, time means more than money but even money got it limits.

DeletedUser

geez, what a reaction to this.

I don't like paying more for premium either, but some of you are actually trying to argue that an extra $2 or $3 a month is too much to handle, and some even referencing losing your job? If an extra $2 a month really breaks the bank for you, then perhaps the time you spend on here would be better spent looking for a second job.

Bottom line, the price change isn't unreasonable at all. They keep adding new features, upgrading the server, yet the prices have stayed the same for years. This was inevitable. Their costs go up, so our costs go up, its only logical ... and in fact long overdue.

DeletedUser

Your income often goes up as well, otherwise there would be no need to run a company. Upgrades, bug fixes are ordinary tasks which makes sure that workers got something to do. If they don't got work to do, then it's cheaper to fire them(Hopefully that makes sense since they wouldn't be needed). Remember, you do not pay a month for a worker who only works a day.

That server upgrades goes up barely make a difference, what do is that they're employing another 30 workers which are supposed to do something. These will of course create a value as well, but by then they believe that the majority have accepted the price change or forgotten it. Remember that they weren't losing money, they were apparently gaining. As costs go up, so do your income. Unless it goes in the worse direction and apparently it doesn't.

However I do understand that people without a work got empty pockets, they would need to save for food, rents and other costs. As in america it isn't easy to get a work and it doesn't change how long you spend looking. If there's no free jobs then you wont be hired.

In my case, I barely see how those small amounts would affect me except that I need to pay for more players now. Of course as a student, I see others around my age who barely got money at all. So if it were just to get a work then I believe people would have done so, of course if you would recommend people to quit then you aren't really helping Tw which it looks like you tried.:p

DeletedUser

So if it were just to get a work then I believe people would have done so, of course if you would recommend people to quit then you aren't really helping Tw which it looks like you tried.:p

I'm not trying to help TW. Why would I? I don't see a dime of that money. And how hard it is to find jobs is a discussion for another place, but I can already tell I have a differing viewpoint on how hard it is to find some sort of work if you really try.

Remember that they weren't losing money, they were apparently gaining. As costs go up, so do your income. Unless it goes in the worse direction and apparently it doesn't.

No, thats not how it works. Cost has an inverse relationship with income, despite them both typically going up for a growing company. And even if income IS going up for TW, costs may be going up at a higher RATIO to income. What you are referencing is profit, but businesses are more concerned with profit margin and growth.

The only legitimate customer complaint would be that their prices went up about 50% at once. Thats a large increase in any industry. But even if the cost drivers remain the same from year to year and your assumption that these new features don't matter is true, there are other things that are taken into account. For example, inflation was negative in 2009, but generally goes up at about 4% per year. If the prices have been the same for 10 years or so, then the hike is reasonable. I don't know, I have only been around TW for the last year. Another thing to note is that the price increase is really only significant at the lower end of the points, and not so significant the more points you buy. This strategy is to get you to commit to TW longer, and is a legitimate and effective business strategy. They not only lock you in as a customer for longer if you choose the higher points option, but they get the lump sum sooner and can invest that money. Perhaps back into the game.

But the truth is, we have no idea how they are doing financially, their exact reasons for doing this, or if they plan on doing anything with that money besides stuffing their pockets. The point I was making is that all I DO know is that it was certainly not to "punish" their customers, or out of some unreasonable sense of greed. I'm sure they weren't the first one to do it, but making a browser based war game was undeniably a great idea, and the creators and employees of TW deserve raises and higher profits just like anyone else. And to those who think that they should have lowered their costs to bring in new customers and therefore they would have gotten more money, you're just flat out wrong. Most people do not refuse to buy premium because it is too expensive, it's because they don't believe they should pay for a game that they can play for free. Hell, I agree with them. But either way, lowering prices will not make people bust out their credit cards and start flocking to premium accounts.

To be honest, I think any efforts, petitions and boycotts that are organized are just collaborations of the ignorant.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Kevin I'm not dumb, what the cost is would be obvious. Unless those 30 new workers barely get any pay and you don't pay taxes then it would mather. None of the other server cost, upgrades did make a big effect.

And not all businesses do bad just because of a bad economy. Fast food, flower and a lot of branches goes further and increase their profit way before than when economy were good. You wont buy a car since that's a lot of money, you get more over to the rest.

Tw is a game which needs time. The more you play, the larger demand for premium. People are bound to have money over, however not everyone do.

And no, if you're American then we'll all understand why you deny it's bad state. People are losing their works and it isn't jobs out there for everyone, otherwise the amount of unemployed would be rather low. With right education in Sweden you can get a work, but you will never get into the better companies without having the experience for a few years. America is just one of the places who're hit hard by the bad economy.

What I suggested were an alternative way of getting premium, since for my own part I'm paying more than I think this game is worth. More people get premium just as more will advertise about the game. A free advertisement for a small cost. The cost were to expensive to some, still as with bad economy theret would be a good opportunity it's a good time to get costumers. If people lack money or lose their works they would need to put time into something they otherwise would have done.

People wont buy 5000 points unless they don't pay for others, if they do then buying less wouldn't matter since money wasn't a problem in the first case. People buying together seems rare as well. I tried gathering a few people to do so but without luck(might only be my case). if 50 of 75 got premium then at that time everyone receives premium. More would play the game actively and buy for other worlds even if their premium is covered by one. The prices stops some people at the moment from buying. One could calculate the amount of members with premium in tribes compared to the total amount of members, people might see it more worth to pay if the rest can get covered as well. Of course the downside to it is that a few will always try to wait and avoid paying. But if one can see who paid and got premium that can easily be checked up.

A humble player

Kevin I'm not dumb, what the cost is would be obvious. Unless those 30 new workers barely get any pay and you don't pay taxes then it would mather. None of the other server cost, upgrades did make a big effect.

And not all businesses do bad just because of a bad economy. Fast food, flower and a lot of branches goes further and increase their profit way before than when economy were good. You wont buy a car since that's a lot of money, you get more over to the rest.

Tw is a game which needs time. The more you play, the larger demand for premium. People are bound to have money over, however not everyone do.

And no, if you're American then we'll all understand why you deny it's bad state. People are losing their works and it isn't jobs out there for everyone, otherwise the amount of unemployed would be rather low. With right education in Sweden you can get a work, but you will never get into the better companies without having the experience for a few years. America is just one of the places who're hit hard by the bad economy.

What I suggested were an alternative way of getting premium, since for my own part I'm paying more than I think this game is worth. More people get premium just as more will advertise about the game. A free advertisement for a small cost. The cost were to expensive to some, still as with bad economy theret would be a good opportunity it's a good time to get costumers. If people lack money or lose their works they would need to put time into something they otherwise would have done.

People wont buy 5000 points unless they don't pay for others, if they do then buying less wouldn't matter since money wasn't a problem in the first case. People buying together seems rare as well. I tried gathering a few people to do so but without luck(might only be my case). if 50 of 75 got premium then at that time everyone receives premium. More would play the game actively and buy for other worlds even if their premium is covered by one. The prices stops some people at the moment from buying. One could calculate the amount of members with premium in tribes compared to the total amount of members, people might see it more worth to pay if the rest can get covered as well. Of course the downside to it is that a few will always try to wait and avoid paying. But if one can see who paid and got premium that can easily be checked up.

Buy in 5K chunks?
anyway, everythign you say is solely and completely based on speculation.

DeletedUser

I never said you were dumb. If you were organizing a boycott of premium accounts, then I would've called you dumb. The effort would be based on faulty logic, and it would be a waste of time since it wouldn't work.

I've gotta be honest, with the rest I'm not sure if you were debating what I said or moved onto something else completely. And I'm not talking about the language barrier. But anyways.

Are you saying that if I'm American, you understand why I would think the economy is fine? Its bad here too. Very bad. Its bad all over the WORLD, not just in your or my country. Thats irrelevant, since we arent talking about buying houses or cars. We are talking about people saying they cant afford an extra $2 a month. I understand completely why people would not spend money on a premium account. What i don't understand is why they would spend $4, and not $6. There is a difference. My guess is its just based on some stubborn ignorant principle that prices should never be raised on them.

In YOUR specific case though, when you are talking about buying for a large group and therefore the price change is more significant. I am compelled to agree with A Humble Player. The price hike isn't the problem. The problem is that you are buying premium for your tribe members.

DeletedUser

Why are you forcing yourself to buy premium for other players? You're not the only person in the tribe.

Status
Not open for further replies.