Top 5 leaders

fadarofthedarkblade

in my defnesce my comment was not to derail the thread. i simply stated that you could take a joke, then joke along and continue on witht he punches :( sorry holla

DeletedUser54677

Holla can't 'roll with the punches', she's a girl. And everyone knows that girls can't punch.

DeletedUser

in my defnesce my comment was not to derail the thread. i simply stated that you could take a joke, then joke along and continue on witht he punches :( sorry holla

If anyone derailed it, it was me. Now I'm trying to undo the damage I did :lol:

Holla can't 'roll with the punches', she's a girl. And everyone knows that girls can't punch.

I always assumed rolling with the punches meant taking a punch, not throwing one.

DeletedUser54677

I always assumed rolling with the punches meant taking a punch, not throwing one.

'Rolling with the punches' is usually interpreted as taking a joke and dishing one back out, normally in good humor.

You learn something new everyday. :icon_razz:

slowdowntubby

I have never heard 'rolling with the punches' used that way.

Where I come from, it just means that you easily absorb hardship/difficulty.

In boxing, which is the etymology of the phrase, "rolling with the punches" means stepping back and dodging your opponent's blows. Any sort of counterattack is not implied.

Just sayin

DeletedUser

Daholla was a good leader when I played with V-V-V in 2008..

DeletedUser54677

I have never heard 'rolling with the punches' used that way.

Where I come from, it just means that you easily absorb hardship/difficulty.

In boxing, which is the etymology of the phrase, "rolling with the punches" means stepping back and dodging your opponent's blows. Any sort of counterattack is not implied.

Just sayin

Regional thing, I guess we should chalk it up to. :icon_confused:

DeletedUser

-
4. Stachehater

- Unique. The only word to describe the feeling of being in his tribe. Everyone had a role. It might seem like you do in your tribe you're in right now, in any world, but you don't really have a niche until you've been with stache. Why? Maybe it was because he had so much talent waiting to be exposed under his command, maybe it was luck, maybe it was him. I cannot say. All I know is that when OM was around we wanted to kill, we wanted to noble, we wanted to support and we wanted to win. Similar to holla except stache got us to be followers out of fear/respect.

Wow....I can't believe anyone would put Stache up here on this list. As a former OM member, I remember all to well the constant threats from him and his minion Emil Hanson. That is not leadership.....that is dictatorship. Leadership is what the Manic leaders had going for them at one point. There was a time that they actually lead. They helped, they did attacks, they taught. But, KG (as funny as he could be) started going off on his drunken (?????) week long trips and come back with the sorriest excuses I've ever heard. Once that started happening, people lost faith and focus.

Anyway, FRMA had a good leader (Gre Funky), and there are undoubtably many others who have come and gone along the way. Trying to say one is better than the other is difficult as each person gets hit with inactivity problems, recruitment, and other difficulties at one time or another. The set of circumstances which may make them shine at one point, will be their downfall at another. (Which is exactly what happened with Manic.)

DeletedUser

Wow....I can't believe anyone would put Stache up here on this list. As a former OM member, I remember all to well the constant threats from him and his minion Emil Hanson. That is not leadership.....that is dictatorship. Leadership is what the Manic leaders had going for them at one point. There was a time that they actually lead. They helped, they did attacks, they taught. But, KG (as funny as he could be) started going off on his drunken (?????) week long trips and come back with the sorriest excuses I've ever heard. Once that started happening, people lost faith and focus.

Anyway, FRMA had a good leader (Gre Funky), and there are undoubtably many others who have come and gone along the way. Trying to say one is better than the other is difficult as each person gets hit with inactivity problems, recruitment, and other difficulties at one time or another. The set of circumstances which may make them shine at one point, will be their downfall at another. (Which is exactly what happened with Manic.)

I find it humorous that you compare the OM leaders to dictators, and in the same breath you talk about how Manic had that leadership. If any leader on W24 was a dictator, it was Smurf-.

To each their own.

DeletedUser

'Rolling with the punches' is usually interpreted as taking a joke and dishing one back out, normally in good humor.

You learn something new everyday. :icon_razz:

Yeah, I've heard it that way as well. All the more reason your "I can't take a punch because I'm a girl" reference didn't make sense :icon_razz:

Daholla was a good leader when I played with V-V-V in 2008..

Hey, can't believe you're still playing :O

Hope all is well with you and your bro :)

DeletedUser

hahaha Yeah it's good thanks, I see you are doing good ;)

my bro plays w42 or 43 or soemthing on a new username. but i started in w48 since it was the newest.. 1 month late fail though.

slowdowntubby

I hate to derail and belabour this point but I have studied language all my life and these sorts of things bother and fascinate me at the same time. Just because a bunch of people misinterpret a phrase does not mean that their misinterpretation is valid. People misuse the phrase "beg the question" all the time. How about "I could care less"? I hear that daily and people actually mean the exact opposite. Or my new favourite, anyone who uses the word "literally" as a synonym for "actually". These are not regional differences. These are people spouting catchphrases without understanding the meaning of the words.

I have spent the last 20 minutes researching this and nowhere can I find an instance of "roll with the punches" being used in the manner you guys think. I would in fact argue that the phrase implies the exact opposite of what you say. IE you absorb the blows (literal or figurative) without dishing out anything in return. Especially when applied figuratively. If I've had a run of bad luck because my boss is a jerk, my dog died and my wife left me for another man, one could say I'm 'rolling with the punches' by staying positive and trying to make the best of a bad situation. Punching my boss in the face or slashing my wife's tires isn't 'rolling with the punches'. It's revenge. I think there is an implicit pacifism inherent in the phrase.

Perhaps the confusion arises in the fact that in the case of TW, making the best of a bad situation could involve actually hitting the attack button when someone else is attacking you. But the underlying principle isn't that you are attacking back, it's that you are dealing with adversity in a positive way. It just so happens that in the case of TW that may involve an actual counterattack.

From the OED:

"f. to roll with the punches (and varr.), of a boxer: to move the body away from the opponent's blows in order to lessen their impact; fig., to adapt oneself to difficult circumstances, take troubles in one's stride. [early citations:]
[1941 F. GILMORE Push Yourself iv. 27 In boxing it is called 'rolling the punch' when a boxer, not having time to avoid being hit, deliberately moves with the punch when it hits him.] 1951 J. J. WALSH Boxing Simplified viii. 32 In an actual bout he will not have so much time to roll with the blow."

In case you couldn't tell I love grammar and linguistics. Feel free to ignore this and carry on with your arguing if you do not share my passion :D

DeletedUser

I hate to derail and belabour this point but I have studied language all my life and these sorts of things bother and fascinate me at the same time. Just because a bunch of people misinterpret a phrase does not mean that their misinterpretation is valid. People misuse the phrase "beg the question" all the time. How about "I could care less"? I hear that daily and people actually mean the exact opposite. Or my new favourite, anyone who uses the word "literally" as a synonym for "actually". These are not regional differences. These are people spouting catchphrases without understanding the meaning of the words.

I have spent the last 20 minutes researching this and nowhere can I find an instance of "roll with the punches" being used in the manner you guys think. I would in fact argue that the phrase implies the exact opposite of what you say. IE you absorb the blows (literal or figurative) without dishing out anything in return. Especially when applied figuratively. If I've had a run of bad luck because my boss is a jerk, my dog died and my wife left me for another man, one could say I'm 'rolling with the punches' by staying positive and trying to make the best of a bad situation. Punching my boss in the face or slashing my wife's tires isn't 'rolling with the punches'. It's revenge. I think there is an implicit pacifism inherent in the phrase.

Perhaps the confusion arises in the fact that in the case of TW, making the best of a bad situation could involve actually hitting the attack button when someone else is attacking you. But the underlying principle isn't that you are attacking back, it's that you are dealing with adversity in a positive way. It just so happens that in the case of TW that may involve an actual counterattack.

From the OED:

"f. to roll with the punches (and varr.), of a boxer: to move the body away from the opponent's blows in order to lessen their impact; fig., to adapt oneself to difficult circumstances, take troubles in one's stride. [early citations:]
[1941 F. GILMORE Push Yourself iv. 27 In boxing it is called 'rolling the punch' when a boxer, not having time to avoid being hit, deliberately moves with the punch when it hits him.] 1951 J. J. WALSH Boxing Simplified viii. 32 In an actual bout he will not have so much time to roll with the blow."

In case you couldn't tell I love grammar and linguistics. Feel free to ignore this and carry on with your arguing if you do not share my passion :D

+1

I HATE the misuse of literally.

Also, words which have cool meanings like "diabolical" (meaning like "diablo", the devil) being misused so much down the years it's taken on a different, weaker meaning.

DeletedUser

Actually, in the case of 'diabolical', it may be a pity (now) to have it 'misused', but if the 'misuse' becomes wide-spread enough, then the word simply adjusts in meaning.

The new, weaker meaning isn't necessarily worse than the old one (from an objective point of view). Oftentimes it's quite the contrary -- language adapts :)

(I'd still agree with literally and 'could[n't] care less', though.)

DeletedUser

From the OED:

Sadly, I do share your passion. Maybe not to the extent you do, but I couldn't agree more with your "I could care less" feelings...or maybe I mean to say I could agree more. Who knows.

Before this discussion, if I were to pick one meaning for the phrase, I would say the one you gave is dead on. KK's interpretation "'Rolling with the punches' is usually interpreted as taking a joke and dishing one back out, normally in good humor" is still pretty close, since you can either take a joke well and send a joke in return, or you can take the joke poorly and pout. Either way, my gender has nothing to do with the fact that I can take or give a punch :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

slowdowntubby said:
How about "I could care less"? I hear that daily and people actually mean the exact opposite.

'could[n't] care less'

I was going say that Rukoh.

If your want to quote something STD at least know the correct meaning.
If you studied language so much you would be aware of the actual use, and yes it does make sense.

The Great 1One1

The "DaHolla is a girl" talk is more on-topic than this boring discussion of the true meaning of "rolling with the punches". Seriously, make a new thread about it where we can criticize other people's grammar or use of phrase, which I believe is against the rules anyway.