Tribal Wars, A Dying Game?

silvereclipes

if they would go back to the old business model of advertising on the gamer boards like they used to I would say they could greatly increase the players that is how I found TW in the first place after growing tired of some of the games I was playing back then I went to the boards an looked for a wargame that would interest me an TW was everywhere so said heck let me check this game out an been hooked ever since and it helped that I was taking under the wing of Openeye an showed the ropes from him.

DeletedUser103460

I truly forgot how I got to TW at the first place but it must have been a gaming site.. Started at w11 for the first time. Got a village with about 5k points then nobled two 100 point barbs.

Then was nobled out. I also tried out w15 and 16. In one of the worlds (I can't remember which), I made a tribe we were pretty good won a war with a tribe about as big as us but then were defeated by another tribe.

Then tried out some other worlds once a year. I didn't last long
At the end, I joined world 55. I have learned a lot since then about techniques like noble trains, sniping, stacking, etc.

I always wanted to buy premium but I'm too young.

Anyways, I still see travian advertising on the internet till now.

DeletedUser

Cannot believe its getting closer and closer to two years since I made this thread and it is still going. I must give props to everyone that has made this a very intriguing and interesting topic of conversation.

I tried out World 62, the first world that I played in over a year, and I can see they made the game easier for new players by having quests which give rewards like resources and troops. Perhaps this game will not completely die out, but I do not think it will be as popular as it once was.

I think the fact that it has lasted for 2 years shows that this game is far from dying out :D

DeletedUser

I must be damn lucky! I was looking for a place to post some of my reasons for quitting (in the hope that TW might take action) and here I find a two year old topic to which the starter is still replying to along with .074 % (bogus stat -- LOL) of all TW players. I read most of the replies and most of the reasons stated that cause player boredom and withdrawing from the game. Those have been stated here already. But I am a special player and want my say...damnitall. LOL I started playing only in Aug 2011, am an old geezer (65), am recession proof so don't need to quit, left a million ++ account with two months of premium remaining and had learned my lessons well on about 12-15 worlds in tribes of all sizes with mostly successful ventures. I've played many internet games in many formats but liked TW better than most. (I want to establish some bona fides here just so 'someone' on the TW staff might listen. I played Starcraft for years and uploaded a map I created that became one of the most popular maps of all time. It was different. It required all opponents to think carefully and be careful every time they played the map in stead of just charging ahead with the normal build. I was an engineer by trade until retiring at 50 almost 16 years ago now. So maybe you, TW, should listen to some suggestions that I feel are good (like the ones posted here in the last two years) and perhaps a couple I have. Frankly after about a month of play I began to feel the game as too mundane....one builds this, then that, farms, dodges, joins a tribe, grows, aides and is aided, nobles a couple of 2-3000 point barbs, begins to grow more quickly, builds offensive and defensive vils, supports tribe mates and attacks tribe enemies, and so on. The only important and interesting matters on a day by day routine are the reports and the tribal forums. Oh, I'm being attacked by a strong player.......I'll move 2000 cats with the Pali and the Bonfire to my vil, send nukes of 20,000+ ax men from each of 2-3 (or more) of my vils against several of the attacker's vils and relax. If units are destroyed I have 400,000 of all resources in the warehouses and 30+ level merchants in 100-200-2000 vils (co-played a 27 million plus account) so don' worry, be hoppy. Get noble trains launched n turn out the lights, tha party's over.... It becomes just too darned routine. When you know that the world has existed for 2-? years already and that your tribe will likely win in a couple of more months? years? eons?.... Well you get the picture. I just lost interest. And I believe that a lot of other players do the same. Please do not discount all this as just negativism. I would like to return to playing one day after learning about all the great changes that have come about. Do away with premium! I'll pay you $5.00/mo to play if I like the game. Let everyone have the better organizing screens and tools and teach them to use them. Initially I found instructions greatly lacking. A new player needs to be told, "Read this first." Then they are taught to play and told of different methods that are 'sound'. Give them 2-3 free months and then ask for a commitment or demand one. Also, maybe consider a 'noobie's world; only those with no experience can play there. I'd also like to have more than 3 resources and some of them not in every location so that trading would become important along with economic alliances. If some (or all) of the resources could be placed randomly on the map and the gathering and transport require guarding or static defenses that would add some complexity. And if one vil (or a certain requisite number under one account) could spawn another vil after various requirements have been that would be something to look forward to. If patrols could be sent out that automatically interacted with certain situations and reported findings then the reports would be more important and numerous as one grew larger. Attacks should 'last' for more than a millisecond. An attack should last for several minutes and could be attacked anytime during that time period by anyone. This adds more interest to attacking. Allowing this would not let a big player smugly launch an attack after he scouted and simmed it so he knew would be a success. Someone else might jump his units..... It should be made easier for tribe members to launch multiple vil simultaneous attacks against an enemy vil. Now each member must calculate everything for himself and most are not good at this. That brings me to the last that I will post (I'm as tired as anyone reading this.) There should be a means of requiring every tribe member to be active in the tribal forums. The forums make a tribe strong and help it grow and expand. But too many players only want the point number of the tribe to protect them and don't bother participating in the forums, much less raids or support. Tribe leaders typically hate to cut players, so the game should just cast a player out of his tribe if he isn't participating. Yeah, I'm an o;d idiot and have harebrained ideas. BUT maybe a couple will help. Good luck TW, players and in RL. Goodbye.

TheHowling

Well there's life in the old dog yet

started w1 when a friend showed me this. Word of mouth is a big advertiser. and still here.

Agree we need to accomodate for newer blood, as there will always be an slow exodus of players retiring for different reasons and if the cash flow is greatly reduced, then TW could end, and I do not want that, as I like it here

wolfman7075

as you said , and I have said before . TW YOUR NOT LISTINING. your putting all in the ring togather . you start a world and throw everything in the mix .
your new player go right in with the old TW BIG DOGS, your killing your own game , all your new players get stomped , they dont know how to play ,
so they quit , fast 1, 2 weeks they are gone . worlds are shorter , no game play . nothing to keep you in . members jumping from tribe to tribe , no loyalty .
its not like it was when I started 08 , I was in w20 for years . just started w60 not long ago , looking like a ghost town already . new player just dont know how to play , and we dont have time to show them , the go find a new game to play , and your right the older guys and gals are retiring , SOON , THERE WANT BE ANYONE TO PLAY., AND NOONE TO PAY...OPEN 2 WORLDS AT A TIME , ONE FOR NEW PLAYERS TO GET STARTED , ONE FOR OLDER PLAYERS THATS PLAYED FOR A WHILE.

Tdogclint

Do you guys think that INNO games even cares about Tw any more? I mean they obviously maintain it, but i see countless ads for there honestly not as good games, and its ridiculous!

I think that tribal wars is the best browser based strategy out there and inno should be blessed to have it and do anything they can to attract new players and keep it going at full force.

Also (on a radical note) i think they should do away with the other serverrs and just focus on .net. I mean the others are not that popular and are drawing people away from the main dish.

I would do anything to keep this game alive.

DeletedUser

I think one of the big things is how long battles last. They should last a certain amount of time. Maybe even a few hours,

Another thing I think is important is each area of the world should have something special. A resourse I think would be good. Trading should become important worldwide. Giving players the option to trade the resourse. Or to conquer them.

Another big one. Locations. Village to village can be a bit boring sometimes. What if they created a new kind of place. Something you can conquer. Maybe the place for these rare resourses?

Just an idea.

DeletedUser

Out of curiosity, how would you suggest creating a world for newbies only? What is there is stop any seasoned player simply registering a new account name and playing there? Just throwing that out there for the people who keep suggesting that as a saving feature.

DeletedUser

Well we would have to monitor the players joining wouldn't we.

But then that would be an ask. Monitor every new players IP address?

I dont know. But I'm sure you guys could figure it out.

Single player is something else I would like. Or some kind of arena. I'd even be willing to pay a bit of money for that.

DeletedUser

Do you guys think that INNO games even cares about Tw any more?

(take this opinion as just that of a player, as I have no more inside information than anyone else)

They continue to develop, and evolve the game, why would they put that money out, if they didn't care? TW & all their other games are business ventures first, if you see multiple ads for other games that you feel aren't as good, it's likely because those games need more subscriptions, or are growing, so they need to do the ads.

TW may not have the player base on .net that it once had, but you obviously realize there are multiple language servers, and if you combine them all together, TW is likely doing quite well.

Annoyingdevil

I always mail the person I am nobling and if they happen to be a new player, I offer them to opportunity to take on my advice and I will guide them through start up etc. The players that accept are the dedicated folk that will usually become decent tw players, but the people that quit tw straight away at barely a few hundred points, they are the people that are going to be hard to mould into TW players, regardless of other variables.

People seem willing to help newbs so as long as this maintains, tw will always be around.

DeletedUser

After a quick flick through the world 62 forums I'm quite impressed with the number of accounts from '07, '08, '09 and so on. I also think the tutorial system will help increase the proportion of people who stick with the game compared to on the earlier worlds without it.

master of the rangers

if they would go back to the old business model of advertising on the gamer boards like they used to I would say they could greatly increase the players that is how I found TW in the first place after growing tired of some of the games I was playing back then I went to the boards an looked for a wargame that would interest me an TW was everywhere so said heck let me check this game out an been hooked ever since and it helped that I was taking under the wing of Openeye an showed the ropes from him.

Thats well said Silvereclipses, I got into this the same way, The main issue is how hard it is to startup now if you don't know what you are doing, I personally had henchman, cav, TNG etc helping me out a lot, I know, if i hadn't had that help, I would have given up long ago.

The quests help startup i suppose though.

As for the worlds only for new players, this would be amazingly complex to setup, and then, once it is, how many new members (with an IP that hasnt been used) would actually start up on that world?

DeletedUser

I miss w25 and before, when each world was a full 100 continents =/

But co's really aren't a problem. I have done well in start up many times without a co, and many times with. Its just that this type of game isn't enticing much to the general populations. Of the 9-10 people ive taught, 2 are still playing, and 1 has the promises of a top 10 material player.

DeletedUser

Exactly! Open two worlds at the same time and use TW stats or just the length of time a player has had an account plus a direct plea that well seasone players not join the world that is meant for the newer players. If a player 'acidentally' gets on the beginners game and masses 50,000 points and 5 vils before any other player has a couple of thousand points, close his account and telle him to move to the 'experienced' world. Also, post in an opening screen, the leaders, the previous days winners of various categories like most vils conquered, etc. Having your name recognized is something that players want.

DeletedUser

ifferring game viewpoints

I always mail the person I am nobling and if they happen to be a new player, I offer them to opportunity to take on my advice and I will guide them through start up etc. The players that accept are the dedicated folk that will usually become decent tw players, but the people that quit tw straight away at barely a few hundred points, they are the people that are going to be hard to mould into TW players, regardless of other variables.

People seem willing to help newbs so as long as this maintains, tw will always be around.
This is a good idea and I will use it if ever I return to play. On one world we actually had a tribe that supported poorer players until they took to flight. These made loyal tribe members and the tribe grew well, but when our size and growth rate became a concern for some multi-million point tribes they attacked and sent us relocating all over that world. Such is TW......

DeletedUser

Exactly! Open two worlds at the same time and use TW stats or just the length of time a player has had an account plus a direct plea that well seasone players not join the world that is meant for the newer players. If a player 'acidentally' gets on the beginners game and masses 50,000 points and 5 vils before any other player has a couple of thousand points, close his account and telle him to move to the 'experienced' world. Also, post in an opening screen, the leaders, the previous days winners of various categories like most vils conquered, etc. Having your name recognized is something that players want.

So if a new player does well, you punish him by closing his account, and moving him into the butchers den?

The premise, and idea behind a beginners world isn't anything that's ever been questioned, I think most agree that it would be good thing for introducing players to the game. (I personally feel they'd be under prepared for when they hit a more experienced world, but that's a debatable topic as well). The issue behind the beginners world idea is always in execution, in how you fairly determine who doesn't belong, and how do you police it? And the answer always comes back to, you can't.

Is it really fair to say if a player gets too good, they have all their work thrown out the door (creating a hole in the world mind you), and have to start over somewhere else? I wouldn't stick around to play again.

And is it fair to assign a time limit to an account when all players learn at different speeds, and have different amounts of time available to them? And even if you could, a player just makes a new account to get around it anyways.

Until someone can come up with a viable solution in order to execute the idea, it's just not going to fly.

DeletedUser

For me the biggest demotivation to return to the game is the fact, or my general impression, that nowdays everyone has at least 2 players on the account, if not more. And being the player who likes to play on its own, with occasional help from sitters, it feels that with the amount of time I can put into this game at this point in my life, I wouldn't be able to keep pace (or maybe not even survive). I have a feeling that before only the accounts in core had co-players, but now it seems like everyone has one...maybe that's just my impression, the main problem is the fact that now I would be able to put maybe few hours in the game per day, while before I was able to be online almost whole day (university, studying for exams and checking the game...)

Edit: hey AYK, I see they're letting everyone be mod nowdays heh:p

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Good to see you around still Odoaker, been a while.
And yes, their standards must have fallen way down!

I echo your thoughts, I'm personally taking a leave from game play now that w32 is done, just because I can't put in the time to make an account viable, unless I get a co-player (that's more a statement of my current life priorities as opposed to it not being possible to play solo), and because I just not willing to put a 3 year commitment into a game right now.

That said, I'm still interested in the game, and changes down the road, perhaps they'll find ways to eliminate the necessity for co-players, and to trim the length of a world down. They are making changes on the amount of time daily maintenance takes, which is a huge step in my eyes, because large accounts become playable for even those short on time.