Warnings, Infractions, Bans oh my!

DeletedUser

This is to serve as a resource on the disciplinary actions on the TW.net forums. This has zero relevance to discipline in-game.

There are three different ways that a moderator can interact with posters via the disciplinary system. They are: warnings, infractions and bans.

Warnings

Warnings are a moderators way of letting a poster know that they are getting close to breaking a rule or have made a minor violation. They are more of a reminder for posters to check their posting habits and give posters a chance to re-evaluate whatever it is that the warning was given for. At the same time, warnings create a written record that protects both the moderator and the poster because there is a paper trail that other moderators and admins can look at and review.

Infractions

Similarly, infractions are a way for moderators to tell posters that they have broken a rule and/or are causing a problem. There are several categories of infractions that I won't get into, many with a different expiration length. They are a more serious reminder to posters that they really should check their posting. In general, a warning is given before an infraction, except in one, relatively broad case. That case is when it is likely that the poster knew that they were breaking a rule or they are directly defying staff instructions.

As I mentioned before, infractions expire. What this means is that each person has a number of 'points' on the record, very similar to points on a driver's license. If you compile 4 infraction points, you will be automatically banned, similar to a driver's license being suspended. The ban lasts until one of the infraction points expires at which point the poster will have 3 points. In other words, if you compile 4 infractions over the course of a week and get banned, your ban will last until the first of those expires. Once your first infraction expires, you will be unbanned, but if you get another infraction right after that, you will be instantly re-banned.

Bans

Now, at this point of the explanations, many trouble makers say, "Oh! So all I have to do is not break the rules more than 3 times!" Well, that's where bans come in. Moderators can manually ban posters who show a wilful disregard for the rules. If people purposely try to cause problems, they will be dealt with quickly. The typical case of a trouble maker shows 1 or 2 quick infractions and then a quick ban by a moderator. These, unlike the infraction bans can vary greatly in terms of length. They can be set anywhere from 24 hours to permanently.

Outro

If you require further explanation about the topics covered, any general questions can be posted in the Forum Moderation Discussion subforum. For specific cases, please contact your local elder.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Uhh, shouldn't an information topic like this be stickied? (I won't do it myself, if you have something planned or something)

DeletedUser

*shrug* I wrote it up for my worlds and linked them to here. I dunno if its important enough to be stickied ;)

DeletedUser

i can almost feel i was pointed to during parts of this :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

i can almost feel i was pointed to during parts of this :icon_razz:

I can think of several people for most examples, and I've only been around for just over a month. I imagine lim would have a ton more, both since he had to deal with w8, and since he's been around a lot longer than me.

DeletedUser

I can think of several people for most examples, and I've only been around for just over a month. I imagine lim would have a ton more, both since he had to deal with w8, and since he's been around a lot longer than me.

Every single warning/infraction/ban that I have handed out (which there have been a lot of all of them) has followed this rubric to a T. I would challenge anyone to show otherwise. While other moderators may be slightly different, we are very in sync when it comes to our process.

This was written because of a direct request from a player and the fact that I have been asked many times for an explanation of it.

DeletedUser

Every single warning/infraction/ban that I have handed out (which there have been a lot of all of them) has followed this rubric to a T. I would challenge anyone to show otherwise.

I win

DeletedUser

I don't get it MrNagoo :(

Edit: Never mind, you do win. There have been exactly 3 times I have banned someone outside of this rubric and MrNagoo was one of those ;)

DeletedUser

OOO, OOO, can I have an Infraction??

I didn't do the pre-reading. :icon_redface::icon_redface:

Thanx Mimelim, I didn't know how exactly it worked.

DeletedUser

so how may i ask was i breaking a rule by mentioning KV Mime????

or is it the mods general hatred of a TW legend?

DeletedUser

Mentioning a person isn't against the rules, but I can see a lot of circumstances where it would break other rules. Language, off-topicness, discussion of bans etc. People often mistake infractions for being against the content of their posts rather than how they posted or where they posted.

DeletedUser

For example, that is a perfectly legit question to ask, in a PM. Lim would be within his rights to warn/delete your quote simply for discussing punishments on a forum. It's his topic though, so I'll let him deal with it :icon_wink: he might just want to leave it in for example purposes.

DeletedUser

If you have questions about a specific instance, shoot me a PM about it. Give me some background and we'll talk it out.

DeletedUser

great guide. I know most of it but it will help most people.

DeletedUser

yeah but i was probably most recent :icon_surprised:

DeletedUser

I don't get it MrNagoo :(

Edit: Never mind, you do win. There have been exactly 3 times I have banned someone outside of this rubric and MrNagoo was one of those ;)

3 times Mimelim? Don't I count for 2 of them? Psst. If you can, shoot me a PM for the second/third guy who has pulled off some funny stunt. :p