How to make a map using GIMP

DeletedUser

I know there is already a topic about this by allyboo, but when I started, I used Ally's guide, and found that it lacked some vital information, so I thought I would have a go at one myself - I will post it below

All feedback is welcomed

How to Create a Map using Gimp

Version
The version that I am using is v2.6, but if you are using a different version, then that is fine as well, it will just look slightly different (to download the latest version, go to Download Gimp)

Twstats
Before you can start making maps on Gimp, you need to learn how to use Twstats first. You need to get to the site www.twstats.com, and then from the homepage, select the world that you are on e.g. World 25. Next you want to go to the Maps Tool (top right of the page)

This is how your page should look...

twstatsmaptoolbasicuv6.png

Now you need to input the settings for your map,
First you need to choose the tribes that you want to mark on the map, choose a different colour for each of them (I recommend light blue, yellow, orange, pink, blue, and turquoise as example, DO NOT USE RED! Keep reference of what colour each tribe is!
I tend to use four corners to make my map complete, and zoom level 200%
For each corner, you need different co-ordinates for the center X and center Y
The ones that I use are:

coordinatesforsectionsdi6.png

When you put the co-ordinates in for one of the maps pieces, you need to right click on the map when it has generated, and save the picture as the default option (for Opera, it is .PNG files) Name it accordingly for where it will be placed (top left etc.)

Gimp
Now you need to open Gimp, and leave it on the main page for just a second, it will look something like this...

gimpbasicre4.png

Now you need to open all four corners of the map using GIMP, so to do this File>Open
For my map, I am going to make one for the top 10 tribes of W25 (16/10/2008)
You need to make a new canvas on GIMP File>new that is 2000 pixels by 2000 pixels
Now go onto each corner in turn, and press Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C, then switch back to the blank canvas, and paste the corner in there using

Ctrl+V
Now align each corner into the right corner of the canvas, to help this, go to View>Snap to Canvas Edge

If it looks very big, go to Tools>Selection Tools>Rectangle Select, and drag a box around the part that you want to keep – my recommendation is drawn onto the map below:

wheretocropvi8.png

Now go to Image>Crop to Selection
It should look like this once it has been cropped:

Now you need to zoom in on the map a bit (to about 150%) To do this, go

View>Zoom>150%

Now you should be able to see the individual villages fairly clearly, but if not, then zoom to 200%

When you are happy with how clearly you can see the villages, Create A new layer for each tribe that you are having on the map
In my case, I will create 10 new layers
The layers panel should look something like this:

madelayersul9.png

I would name each layer with the tribe name, and what colour that tribe is, so that you can easily choose a layer, and a tribe at the same time on the map

Select the Background Layer, and then go to Select>by Colour
Now click on one of the coloured dots on the map
Some marching ants should appear around all of the dots of that particular

colour
Now go to Select>Grow and grow by 2 pixels

You should notice that the marching ants have got bigger

Select the eye dropper tool, and click on one of the dots of the colour that

you have selected
When you have done this, select the layer for the tribe of that colour, choose the Bucket Fill Tool, and hold Shift, and click inside some of the marching ants
The marching ants should fill with that colour if done properly

colourfilledmarchingantjy5.png

Now you need to select the colour black from the colour picker

Now go to Edit>Stroke Selection, and stroke 1 pixel

Now, we need to do the same for the other tribes, so on the Layers panel

select the Background Layer

then go to Select>by Colour
Now click on one of the other coloured dots on the map
Some marching ants should appear around all of the dots of that particular colour
Now go to Select>Grow and grow by 2 pixels
Now select the layer for the tribe that you have selected
Choose the colour that you want for this Tribe, then as before, hold Shift and click inside the marching ants
Now, you need to select the colour black, and go to Edit>Stroke Selection
Stroke 1 pixel

Now you need to go back, and repeat these last steps for every other tribe on the map., and once you have done that, it will look something like this

allvillagescolouredam8.png

Now all of the Tribes are complete, but we want to make the Gridlines more

Clear, so to do this, select the Background

Layer
, and then Select>by Colour, and

click on the gridlines

Then go to Select>Grow, and grow by 2 pixels
Now make a new layer called gridlines, and select this new layer
Choose a colour for the gridlines, and use the Bucket Fill Tool to put this new colour onto the gridlines
I am going to choose a pale green colour
It will look a bit like this one

greengridlinescm4.png

I now like to fade the red villages away a bit, so that you can see the tribes more clearly

To do this, look on the Layers panel, and select the Background Layer, drag the Opacity bar at the top down to about 50-60%

opcaitybarfp8.png

I have chosen 60%, and yours will now look similar to this

It is now time to label the tribes
Using the Text Function, Click on the map where you want the first Tribal

Name to appear (they can be moved afterwards), and name is, and then make sure that the colour matches the colour of the dot

When the first has been placed, it should look something like this...

Now you need to add the labels for every other tribe, and once you have done that, it should look something like this...

alltagsonrv9.png

And there you have it... You’re Very First GIMP made map

All you need to do now is to save it as JPG (file>save>.jpg), and host it online using something like IMAGESHACK

This guide has been made by AC04, you may reproduce it, but

please quote it back to me
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

An Update will be coming shortly for this, and I would like to hear all responses to how I can improve the guide

thanks

ac04

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'd hate to break it to you, but someone beat you to the punch, like 6 months ago, and it looks like you just copied the method...

DeletedUser

I'd hate to break it to you, but someone beat you to the punch, like 6 months ago, and it looks like you just copied the method...

no

if you read the very top paragraph, rather than flaming me right away, you will find out why I have posted this one

and it is not the same method, I have adapted it quite a lot...

DeletedUser

ac04 said:
I know there is already a topic about this by allyboo, but when I started, I used Ally's guide, and found that it lacked some vital information, so I thought I would have a go at one myself - I will post it below

All feedback is welcomed

as I say, read the top paragraph, and you will see that I know about ally's thread, but I HAVE ADAPTED IT TO MY OWN METHOD A BIT, AND MADE SOME UNCLEAR BITS MORE CLEAR

read before posting please

JustToner

no

if you read the very top paragraph, rather than flaming me right away, you will find out why I have posted this one

and it is not the same method, I have adapted it quite a lot...

So you knew about a Similar guide and still made it :icon_confused:

Master.Karo

This guy still deserves credit, at least he spent his time trying to help others.

The-Dwarf

He did make a guide who gives more info then the other one.

On w23 there was a guy who wanted to share some info with everyone but still got flamed for copying it. He's just trying to help and I appreciate that.

+rep

DeletedUser

thankyou guys :)

yes, I still made a guide even though there was another one out there

I just, when I used the original one, and first started making maps, found that the other guide lacked some somewhat vital parts, and made it very unclear on parts

what I am hoping is that my guide has helped with this, and I also hope that some people will use it

:)

Master.Karo

It will surely help plenty of people, just brush of the earlier two attacks. You get that often in the TW Forum :icon_neutral:.

I give this a +Rep too. Make some more guides, :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

So you knew about a Similar guide and still made it :icon_confused:

Nothing wrong with that, there are many guides to playing the game.

The fact is though, Gimp sucks :lol:

Also, there are MANY different ways to make a map, so if all the noobs follow this, they will all look the same. Mention that somewhere.

The-Dwarf

Nothing wrong with that, there are many guides to playing the game.

The fact is though, Gimp sucks :lol:

Also, there are MANY different ways to make a map, so if all the noobs follow this, they will all look the same. Mention that somewhere.

I dissagree. I use GIMP to make sigs, coat of arms, display pictures on MSN, etc.

Knowledge = Magic :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

I dissagree. I use GIMP to make sigs, coat of arms, display pictures on MSN, etc.

Knowledge = Magic :icon_wink:

You spelled disagree wrong.

And Photoshop is much easier to make better looking stuff than Gimp, imo.

The-Dwarf

You spelled disagree wrong.

And Photoshop is much easier to make better looking stuff than Gimp, imo.

I'm pretty sure you have to buy photoshop while GIMP is free.

GIMP isnn't hard at all if you think it's fun and give yourself some time when you start to mess around. Don't be afraid to press anything. CTRL+Z works fine ;-)

DeletedUser

I'm pretty sure you have to buy photoshop while GIMP is free.

GIMP isnn't hard at all if you think it's fun and give yourself some time when you start to mess around. Don't be afraid to press anything. CTRL+Z works fine ;-)

I wasn't talking about price at all :icon_confused:

The-Dwarf

I wasn't talking about price at all :icon_confused:

No but I guess alot more people pick to use GIMP as it's free.

So a guide using GIMP might help alot more people then a PS guide does

DeletedUser

It will surely help plenty of people, just brush of the earlier two attacks. You get that often in the TW Forum :icon_neutral:.

I give this a +Rep too. Make some more guides, :icon_wink:

thanks mate :)

I will surely make some more guides - just gotta find something to make a guide about

yeh I know only too well about the flaming that goes on in these forums...:icon_eek:

DeletedUser

I appreciate you making this guide, I tried using GIMP a few months ago and didn't find the existing guide sback then as useful as I would have hoped.

Just downloaded GIMP again and I'll let you know how it goes, thanks again!

DeletedUser

I appreciate you making this guide, I tried using GIMP a few months ago and didn't find the existing guide sback then as useful as I would have hoped.

Just downloaded GIMP again and I'll let you know how it goes, thanks again!

cool

that would be good :)

please post the results into this thread

and PM me if you don't understand something

I will get back to all PM's as soon as I can