How to make a map using GIMP

DeletedUser

very good guide, might have a go at making one myself one day :icon_eek: im sure it will end up failing though :lol:

that's what I thought when I made my first one, and now my maps look pretty good, or so I hear

just give it a go, Pm me with a link, and I will help you with any questions that you have, so that you can't fail :)

DeletedUser53538

i will as soon as i get some spare time :)
i will pm you with a link once iv made it aswell

DeletedUser

Sweet thanx man!
This really troubled me for a while!!

Cheers!

DeletedUser

Thanks a lot. Been looking around for a guide on how to make maps and u just stood out. It was very usefull.

DeletedUser

first off, are you saying that my guide is crap?

and second, Photoshop is more advanced, and able to do much better things than GIMP - but at the moment, I don't have a copy of PS, so I use GIMP

Yes... because it is pretty much Allyboo's(which is good) but revised for morons.... so yes.

And Photoshop isn't that hard to attain...

DeletedUser

Yes... because it is pretty much Allyboo's(which is good) but revised for morons.... so yes.

And Photoshop isn't that hard to attain...

but it is not allyboo's guide... I have changed it...

and I now have a copy of photoshop, so I now use that

DeletedUser

Great tutorial! Ok, now I have an issue. For some reason when I adjust the transparency of layers, they do not gradually change. If I have the transparency set to above 50% the layer shows up. If I set it below 50%, then the layer does not show up at all. Any thoughts?

DeletedUser

Great tutorial! Ok, now I have an issue. For some reason when I adjust the transparency of layers, they do not gradually change. If I have the transparency set to above 50% the layer shows up. If I set it below 50%, then the layer does not show up at all. Any thoughts?

you want to look at the format of your image, as this will affect this,

Make sure it is on RGB colors

busamad

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Glad the guide had a bump.

I thought I would give it a go myself.
However never used anything like this before I have found you have missed a step out.

How do I add a layer?
I right click the background image within the layers toolbox & have loads of options.

Any help on this step would be great.

Cheers
Busa

DeletedUser

How do I add a layer?
I right click the background image within the layers toolbox & have loads of options.
It should be the second option from the top....at least is is on my GIMP.

@ac04: looks good, I'll give it a go when I've got time for it. I only ever saw allyboo's photoshop guide and kinda wondered whether someone had translated it to GIMP. nice.

DeletedUser

@ac04: looks good, I'll give it a go when I've got time for it. I only ever saw allyboo's photoshop guide and kinda wondered whether someone had translated it to GIMP. nice.

there is a gimp guide posted somewhere on ally's thread. ac's version is an adapted version. :icon_wink:
edit: someone posted the link on the first page of this thread also in case you wanted to look at it as well.

DeletedUser

there is a gimp guide posted somewhere on ally's thread. ac's version is an adapted version. :icon_wink:
edit: someone posted the link on the first page of this thread also in case you wanted to look at it as well.

as I said on the first page

when I wrote this guide, a long time ago, I found Ally's GIMP guide missed out a lot of stuff, and was rather confusing. Yes, this guide was based around that guide, but afterall, there are only so many ways to make maps :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

i know ;) thats why i also mentioned yours was an adapted version of the guide.

DeletedUser59335

The best advice that i know of would be just try the tool see what you think gives the best look.

something like this. i started checking both yours and allyboo threads in the beginning then i changed few things and came up with this :icon_razz:

[SPOIL]
nefnt.gif
[/SPOIL]

busamad

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I asked the question as in the guide this is posted:

When you are happy with how clearly you can see the villages, Create A new layer for each tribe that you are having on the map

As I mentioned it misses out just how you make a layer having never used layers I'm unsure & do not have the time to try evryone of the options before finding the correct one.

It mentions in the pop up box:

Foreground colour
Background colour
White
Transparnency

Plus size options

What settings do I use?

DeletedUser

What about the maps for worlds in the middle of playing, ot just the start, is it the exact same process?