How to make a map using GIMP

DeletedUser

I asked the question as in the guide this is posted:

When you are happy with how clearly you can see the villages, Create A new layer for each tribe that you are having on the map

As I mentioned it misses out just how you make a layer having never used layers I'm unsure & do not have the time to try evryone of the options before finding the correct one.

It mentions in the pop up box:

Foreground colour
Background colour
White
Transparnency

Plus size options

What settings do I use?

Having not used Gimp in a long time, I'd have to take a look later, and come back to you about this.

If anyone else can answer this before I have done, then that would be useful.

Bowline said:
What about the maps for worlds in the middle of playing, ot just the start, is it the exact same process?

Exactly the same, just get the four images, and put them together, then follow the same processes

DeletedUser59335

@ac04.. what is the difference between making 4 images and putting them together and just making one image?

Matt76827

busamad - I think its best to simply accept the settings it already has selected which is transparency.

Junker I believe the difference is accuracy. The more pieces you use the more accurate a representation you will get. However you simply have to decide if its worth using lots of pieces or simply using 1. If you only want a rough map then 1 should be more than enough.

DeletedUser

@ac04.. what is the difference between making 4 images and putting them together and just making one image?

When you zoom in further on twstats (or wherever) when making the root map you get a better representation of the image.

Matt76827

I decided to investigate how the overall map changes depending on how many pieces its made up of.
As such I looked at 3 different sizes. 1, 4 and 25.

With the single piece on more developed worlds overlap can be a bit of a problem meaning you have to mess around with the order of layers. It also means that the front lines between 2 tribes overlap a fair amount and look rather poor. However you do get reasonably solid colour for where a tribe is which is one of the reasons people do maps in this way.

With 4 pieces you start to get black sections on the map where there are either no villages or are just barbarian villages. Depending on how a tribe is built this can make the area they control look rather ugly by being patchy. Though problems with overlap do decrease.

With 25 pieces you get an almost exact replica of the TW stats map apart from a bit of smothing on the villages. To me this defeats the point of doing the map as you may as well have just done it from TW stats and used that.

A way to combat the patchyness of tribes you can increase the number of pixels you want it to grow by but then you have made more pieces to gain accuracy just to remove it all and more later. So I think the best is the 4 piece one.

If people want to be able to view the difference I'll upload all 3 and let you see.

DeletedUser

hey, good investigation, thanks for that, I wanted to do it but I never did because of time.
good to know, it can seem very obvious when you read it, but is still very useful