Newsletter #8 - Premium change - 2010-03-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalkoenvet

The no ads for premium is confusing when you say inno needs more revenue. Why reduce advertising income and then lump that loss in revenue on us the consumer. Il put up with ads for cheaper premium. I buy premium to stay competitive in the game, the no ad feature doesn't benefit me at all. Why force me to buy it?

It's not about "needing more revenue", it's about the fact that the new prices fit the game and the market more than the old ones did. You can see the no-ads mode as a feature that comes with premium now.

DeletedUser

40% is too high a price rise and the way you have done it changing the system at the same time is not your best move. It will force players to cut down on the worlds they play, and a lot of people will only play to the point where they need to buy premium and then quit for a newer world.

You seem to be encouraging players to purchase more points up front, so with that in mind how about introducing refunds into the system so players who's RL situations change can get a refund on the money they have spent.

DeletedUser

Did you not choose to play here? just like i choose to play on tribalwars.no? I fail to see the point you are trying to make here, that i am somehow not affected by the premium changes like you are? If so, that is incorrect as i am very much affected by the changes.

True...no one forced me to ever play this game. But no one is forcing you to play on a server you need to pay premium on in addition to the server you get free premium on as a moderator.

Regardless of server, you can still play completely free....but without benefit of premium. But seriously, if anyone on any world or server actually plays Tribal Wars and not just simply holds an account so they can be with their friends; I would love to see them try surviving the game without premium.

Actually....I may find that out for myself in a few months if World 10 has reasonable activity remaining by then. I am just shy of 2400 villages and 23 million points..but I cant afford the new rates once my current purchase expires.

I still remember folks from my tribe with fewer than 20 villages screaming for a gift of premium from other tribesmen so they could cycle villages quickly when under attack....but otherwise showed no activity worth a damn for weeks on end.

busamad

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Can someone answer if I load what premium I have onto my world will it still be the same time period or not?

Also I would like an answer to speed rounds with the new small PP unit are we going to be able to pay by round & not per day as this does look a way forward & to me a reason why we have such a change.

DeletedUser

The no ads for premium is confusing when you say inno needs more revenue. Why reduce advertising income and then lump that loss in revenue on us the consumer. Il put up with ads for cheaper premium. I buy premium to stay competitive in the game, the no ad feature doesn't benefit me at all. Why force me to buy it?

I think they found out that Browsers don't support ads anymore .. :icon_neutral:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Perhaps a lot of anger from the players could be avoided if the Mods were to publish the full thinking and business model used by InnoGames for the inequality of the percentage rises across the different packages.

You see currently it looks like flawed thinking and a great lack of understanding of the market and the uses here or it is (as stated before) blatant profiteering off those that can not afford to buy in bulk.

I understand that all businesses need to up their prises, even more so in this economic climate, but then surely if it was just about raising the companies’ income, then the percentage rises would be the same across all the packages or perhaps slightly more for those buying in bulk. Just maybe the rise would be more palatable to the majority.
But as I said before you are penalising those who can not afford to do anything but pay monthly.

This just looks like trying to force people into buying a years worth of PP and thus increasing InnoGames immediate turnover by generating more short term incoming and doing away with the drip drip of the monthly players.

In my opinion this is a major shot in the foot by Inno, and they have alienated the majority of their customers and as a consequence will see a massive fall in income from this game.

I guess none of us would mind so much if we had seen an increase in server speed and ingame fun and enjoyment that also equalled 40+%... but sadly this is not the case at all.

DeletedUser

As usual, people are running off in a rage before actually looking at the facts. The increase in cost is minimal, especially when considered against what was already a very modest price for premium points. Overall, this isn't going to put anyone out on the street.

True...most of us, as much as we enjoy the game, will quit playing long before we lose our homes over it.

But does that apply to someone already there?

Instead of the gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair that will do no good, why not turn all that effort into something that will help? Pool your resources, get together a group of (reliable) friends and buy a large lot and then divvy them up, so that you can essentially buy smaller lots at wholesale prices.

Actually a very good suggestion...but only effective for those groups of classmates that join games such as this enmass and pretty much stay together constantly.

Not so good for those players who have absolutely no connection to anyone in their world or tribe beyond the fact they are playing the same game.

DeletedUser

I can see exactly where this is headed. Raise the number of points (read "gold") and then start offering advantages (read "cheats") in exchange for points.

Guess what innogames, we play Tribal Wars because it's the only fair game of it's kind. If we wanted to play money sinks we would have stuck with Travian, or started playing Grepolis.

Turn Tribal Wars into a money sink and I quit.

kalkoenvet

I can see exactly where this is headed. Raise the number of points (read "gold") and then start offering advantages (read "cheats") in exchange for points.

Guess what innogames, we play Tribal Wars because it's the only fair game of it's kind. If we wanted to play money sinks we would have stuck with Travian, or started playing Grepolis.

Turn Tribal Wars into a money sink and I quit.

Don't worry, that's not going to happen, as stated by Morthy already.

DeletedUser

I don't want to sound poor, but 1 premium month cost 3 decent meals for my 4 people family. With old fashion premium charge I can only afford 10 PPs at a time, and after 2 or 4 months period I must ask PP from tribal mates. Now after the price doubling, I don't think I can keep up with a 350 villages account :(

DeletedUser

True...most of us, as much as we enjoy the game, will quit playing long before we lose our homes over it.

But does that apply to someone already there?

Actually a very good suggestion...but only effective for those groups of classmates that join games such as this enmass and pretty much stay together constantly.

Not so good for those players who have absolutely no connection to anyone in their world or tribe beyond the fact they are playing the same game.

Whether we like it or not, the current economic disaster is going to mean paying more for everything. Am I thrilled? Hell no, no one ever is, but of all the places I am being gouged this one ranks WAAAY down the bitchlist.

I agree that many may not have the option of being in a tight-knit group that can split the costs, but whatcha gunndo? Herein lies the root of all evils, you would have to trust someone, trust them to take your share, use it as agreed and then remit points to you later. A tall order in a world where old ladies get mugged for their spare teeth.

And in yet another big "WTF?" moment, how is anyone getting three meals for the costs of a month's PA? C'mon, unless you are ordering the flyash platter again, that's just a huge exaggeration.

DeletedUser

Whether we like it or not, the current economic disaster is going to mean paying more for everything. Am I thrilled? Hell no, no one ever is, but of all the places I am being gouged this one ranks WAAAY down the bitchlist.

I agree that many may not have the option of being in a tight-knit group that can split the costs, but whatcha gunndo? Herein lies the root of all evils, you would have to trust someone, trust them to take your share, use it as agreed and then remit points to you later. A tall order in a world where old ladies get mugged for their spare teeth.

And in yet another big "WTF?" moment, how is anyone getting three meals for the costs of a month's PA? C'mon, unless you are ordering the flyash platter again, that's just a huge exaggeration.

Buying cheaper bulk foods like Rice etc, you would be stunned at how one can stretch a dollar. Not saying I know exactly how people do it but being a college student, one does learn how to stretch a dollar.

DeletedUser

Looking at this mathematically,

Old system:
Cheapest deal: You pay $29 for 50 points. 10 months. Exactly 43.4821 weeks.

That's 66.70 cents a week. I could afford that.

New system:
Cheapest deal: You pay $74 for 5000 points. 100 weeks.

That's 74 cents a week. Effectively increasing the price 11.04%

Although the price isn't bad, who can round up 74 dollars to pay for a game?

The new pricing system makes you pay more money for more time. Unfortunately, that will create more problems when people see the price as $74 and have to pay that much more money at a time which will ultimately end in a decrease of customers for TW.

In my opinion, if TW gave you the same deal rate per week at a lower cost, they could make it a whole lot easier to pay.

DeletedUser

It's not about "needing more revenue", it's about the fact that the new prices fit the game and the market more than the old ones did. You can see the no-ads mode as a feature that comes with premium now.

The no ads is an option right now. An option I choose not to pay for. Im led to believe that option is taken away. Therefore the loss in revenue from users such as myself not seeing ads is recouped from us buying premium. Again I'l say give me ads over a 40% price hike anyday.

DeletedUser

I buy premium through mobile phones, but now I can not longer afford .. I bet that if they lowered the price to earn more money .. just need to use your brain ..

DeletedUser

I know this wasnt directed at me...but it was in your reply to me...so I will answer that question:

Salvation Army soup kitchen, local food banks, county nutrition programs (Meals on Wheels) for disabled/elderly and church donations can stretch one's food budget immensely....and is before you take into account the possibility of food stamps if eligible.

Like I posted earlier...my income of $680 a month is unchanged for over 3 years. My food bill takes up over 80% of whats left after paying rent and utilities. I do give myself $25 a month for my online gaming...which covers my current premium expenses in Tribal Wars and West, as well as an arcade game purchase each month....but that is my only entertainment budget, and the internet stretches it far :icon_cool:

DeletedUser

The only reason they multiplied them to larger amounts is probably so a lot of people won't notice it is a lot more expensive to buy premium points.

Only if you buy 5000 at a time you get a slight advantage, all those other options of buying is just a rip off... compared to what it used to be...

now for 19 euro you get 1500 points which is 30 weeks..

in the old system for the same amount of money you had 50 points which was 10 months which is about 45 weeks..

So its like 1,5x more expensive unless you buy a huge quantity.. Pretty crappy new system..

Mick876

There has been made no effort to hide the increase in price.

Yes there has, here is the letter.

http://en6.tribalwars.net/page.php?page=inbound&screen=info_player&id=-1 today at 10:22
Dear players,

Starting March 7th, we will change the prices for our premium accounts.

Here is a short overview of the new prices.

60 premium points - USD $2.99 - 1.99 GBP
200 premium points - USD $5.99 - 3.99 GBP
600 premium points - USD $5.99 - 9.99 GBP
1500 premium points - USD $29.49 - 19.99 GBP
5000 premium points - USD $73.99 - 49.99 GBP

For 30 Premium Points, you get 3 days of premium account, for 100 points, you get 14 days. In practice, that means that you get 30 weeks of Premium Account for 19.99 €. The no-ads mode will be included in our new premium account!

Your existing points will be recalculated by multiplying them by 46 and rounding them up to the next number dividable by ten. That sounds complicated, but by this we make sure that no one loses any value for their bought points – that was very important for us! In fact, some will even gain one day.

More details and a discussion thread can be found on our forums.

Have fun,
Your Tribal Wars team.

This letter is so deceiving. The title says Changes to our premium system. This gives off the presumption that you are just changing the system of which how the premium works, not that you are changing the price of the actual premium. But as you open the mail it then states you are changing the price, but it then follows with the new system and the price of them. This just totally confuses you, you are not just confused on how this system will work, you are also confused if the price has raised or fallen?

You have introduced a unnecessary system on the hope that the majority of people won't be able to work out if this will cost them more or less. If you have nothing to hide, instead of saying the price will change, you would of stated that the price was rising, and then by how much. You then end with this:

In fact, some will even gain one day.

You end with a statement designed to give the mail a positive ending, make people think they are getting something out of this that will benefit them. What does that statement even mean? the prices have raised, we still don't even know for sure how much, the only people who will gain one day from the rising of prices is Innogames! :icon_surprised:

Like i said earlier, i don't mind paying the extra cost, just don't try and con me into doing it. Just be upfront about it. State that there will be a prise rise, state how much that rise will be, and do not put in this new system to try and confuse everyone into buying points.

DeletedUser656

Yes there has, here is the letter.

This letter is so deceiving. The title says Changes to our premium system. This gives off the presumption that you are just changing the system of which how the premium works, not that you are changing the price of the actual premium. But as you open the mail it then states you are changing the price, but it then follows with the new system and the price of them. This just totally confuses you, you are not just confused on how this system will work, you are also confused if the price has raised or fallen?

You have introduced a unnecessary system on the hope that the majority of people won't be able to work out if this will cost them more or less. If you have nothing to hide, instead of saying the price will change, you would of stated that the price was rising, and then by how much. You then end with this:

You end with a statement designed to give the mail a positive ending, make people think they are getting something out of this that will benefit them. What does that statement even mean? the prices have raised, we still don't even know for sure how much, the only people who will gain one day from the rising of prices is Innogames! :icon_surprised:

Like i said earlier, i don't mind paying the extra cost, just don't try and con me into doing it. Just be upfront about it. State that there will be a prise rise, state how much that rise will be, and do not put in this new system to try and confuse everyone into buying points.

This has already been covered in the thread. The mail informs the player at the start that the price is changing. When clicking for more details, our posts acknowledges again, that the prices are increasing.

If we hadn't have covered what happens with your current premium points in detail players would have been angry about that. We're simply reassuring people who have unactivated premium points. Not sure how you can find fault in that.

I have also explained why the points system is changing in this thread. It's not a con.

I realise there are a lot of replies but it is basic forum etiquette to read through existing replies to make sure what you are posting has not already been covered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.