Religious Debate Thread

darkaniken2

No, that's exactly what I mean. If all religions are wrong you should pick one based on the kind of people it produces.
Ah, I see. I agree and disagree. If you feel you must belong to a religion, pick the one with the highest standards of morality. If not, just don't believe at all and do what is right because you can and want to.

DeletedUser52584

Ah, I see. I agree and disagree. If you feel you must belong to a religion, pick the one with the highest standards of morality. If not, just don't believe at all and do what is right because you can and want to.

mmmmm but happiness is 50% genetic 50%changable state of mind. There are people who are unhappy with everything and there are people who are happy with nothing. They've actually done studies on people who are happy and genetically if you're parents are happy people you're more likely to be a happy person but the other half is a conscious state of mind you can change. People who are happy simply think they are. They're happy because they think they are and their being happy makes them happier. It's depressing. The mormon religion has a solid basis for teaching people to be thankful for what they have, not just as a plaque on the wall, but as an actual way of life, which is actually why they're happier than the rest of us.

And I always thought that south park episode demonstrated that: Their religion makes absolutely no sense but they're way happier. Doesn't matter if we dont get it, if it makes you happy why not go with it.

It's not like I'm advocating you do something destructive like drugs or taking up a religion involving suicide bombings.

I just want you to be happy for the sake of being happy.

DeletedUser

That episode was hilarious.

But not as great as the Scientology one. "Come out of the closet already, Tom Cruise!"

I will agree, the Mormon religion makes less sense than a Dr. Seuss book, but they are generally happy. I grew up with quite a few Mormons.

darkaniken2

Pyker, show me a religion that makes logical sense, and I'll mail you a cookie.

DeletedUser

Pyker, show me a religion that makes logical sense, and I'll mail you a cookie.

lol, some make more sense than others, though. The Church of Latter Day Saints is not one of them.

@Slacker - Confucianism is actually a religion.

DeletedUser52584

What about atheism. If I say that do I get a cookie? You know with the whole international shipping thing and the fact that I'm part arab I think you'd be better off not shipping me anything organic.

darkaniken2

What about atheism. If I say that do I get a cookie? You know with the whole international shipping thing and the fact that I'm part arab I think you'd be better off not shipping me anything organic.
Lol. Atheism isn't a religion. Rather, it's the lack of religion that makes one atheist. Or that's what I think anyway.

BTW: I'm not religious in any way, but even so, this disgusts me:

[QUOTE="Darks Email Box]Dear Beloved in Christ,

It is by the grace of God that I received Christ, having known the
truth; I had no choice than to do what is lawful and just in the sight of God
for eternal life and in the sight of man for witness of God & His Mercies
and glory upon my life.

I am Mrs. Evelyn Alexandra,the wife of Mr.Robert Alexander,both of us are
citizens of the united state of America. my husband worked with the
Chevron/Texaco in Hong Kong for twenty years before he died in the year 2003.
We were married for ten years without a child. My Husband died after a brief
illness that lasted for only four days. Before his death we both got
born-again
as dedicated Christians. Since his death I decided not to re-marry or get a
child outside my matrimonial home which the Bible is strongly against.

When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of 7.5 Million Pounds
(Seven Million Five Hundred Thousand Pounds) with a Bank in Europe.
Presently,
this money is still with the Bank and the management just wrote me as the
beneficiary that our account has been DORMANT and if I, as the beneficiary
of the funds, do not re-activate the account; the funds will be CONFISCATED
or I rather issue a letter of authorization to somebody to receive it on my
behalf (note that you need to activate this account) as I can not come
over.

Presently, I'm in a hospital in Hong Kong where I have been undergoing
treatment for esophageal cancer. I have since lost my ability to talk and my
doctors have told me that I have only a few weeks to live. It is my last
wish to
see this money distributed to charity organizations and NGO anywhere in the
World in helping human race.

Because relatives and friends have plundered so much of my wealth since my
illness, I cannot live with the agony of entrusting this huge
responsibility to
any of them. Please, I beg you in the name of God to help me Stand-in as the
beneficiary and collect the Funds from the Bank.I want a person that is
God-fearing who will use this money to fund churches,orphanages and widows
propagating the word of God and to ensure that the house of God is
maintained.

The Bible made us to understand that blessed is the hand that giveth. I took
this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money
and my husband's relatives are not Christians and I don't want my
husband's hard earned money to be misused by unbelievers.

I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly
manner.Hence the reason for taking this bold decision. I am not afraid of
death
since I know where I am going to. I know that I am going to be in the
bossom of
the Lord. Exodus 14 VS 14: says that the Lord will fight my case and I shall
hold my peace. I don't need any telephone communication in this regard
because of my soundless voice and presence of my husband's relatives around
me always. I don't want them to know about this development.I await your
quick response to this mail as this is my last wish to see this funds
transferred before my Death.Please my beloved for further communication on
how
we are going to conclude this,Remain Blessed.

Your Sister in Christ,
Mrs. Evelyn Alexandra.
evelynalexandra@lloyds-tsbonline.co.uk[/QUOTE]

People using the name of God to scam people. Rediculous.

DeletedUser52584

mmmmm I'm also a big advocate of not giving Africa money. I mean, on the off chance that corporations are actually trying to make chaos in Africa to exploit them funding them wouild be like a bidding war we'd lose. That and without a stable government or platform dumping money into africa doesn't really fix anything... Oh I have a mosquito net so I wont get malaria, even though I have sickle cell anemia so its not as bad and I might die of AIDS first. Oh man and speaking of rape and AIDS have you seen those things the women put in their vagina to stop rape? It's like a blade facing inwards so you can go in but when you go out you lose a little piece of yourself...

All on the topic of giving people money....

DeletedUser

it's kind of a religion not really no god or gods its more of a philosophy
its a religion like Scientology is a religion

DeletedUser

speaking of Scientology it just got declared a cult in Europe

darkaniken2

Really? Proof please?

Scientology seems to be one of the oddest religions out there if you ask me.

DeletedUser

Really? Proof please?

Scientology seems to be one of the oddest religions out there if you ask me.

Its not odd at all, you just gotta be open-minded.

What doesn't make sense about Zulu chillin' in his extra-terrestrial volcano sending down alien souls to every conceived baby while hiding from the aliens of evil who are constantly searching for them so they can try to destroy the good aliens once and for all.

DeletedUser

israel sorry

Scientology the Biggest Cult in Israel, World

(IsraelNN.com) Danit Keren, general manager of the Israeli Center for Victims of Cults, told Arutz Sheva's Hebrew journal on Sunday that Scientology is the biggest cult in Israel and the world. She was interviewed in the wake of a French court decision which defined Scientology as a fraud and ordered its leaders to compensate $600,000 to its believers.

Keren noted that Scientology was declared a dangerous cult by a special parliamentary committee in the 1980s supported by the police, but despite continuing efforts by her group, there is no legislation in Israel to fight the activities of cults like this. She says Scientology uses agressive marketing in an attempt to get its followers to give the cult their property.

darkaniken2

Its not odd at all, you just gotta be open-minded.

What doesn't make sense about Zulu chillin' in his extra-terrestrial volcano sending down alien souls to every conceived baby while hiding from the aliens of evil who are constantly searching for them so they can try to destroy the good aliens once and for all.
A whole lot of things are wrong with that. Seriously.

I almost wish protestantism had never happened. At least then the vast majority of religions would be able to be generalized. It's only Christians who can have the same name on 200 churches in a town and they all hate each other.

DeletedUser52584

but it was founded to protest the "Church" (catholic church) as an entity. You really like the idea of confessing sins, needing to be baptized, giving a percentage of your paycheck to the church, and in general having them change the bible to accomodate themselves better? I mean, if I was going to pick a religion it wouldn't be catholocism

DeletedUser

A whole lot of things are wrong with that. Seriously.

I almost wish protestantism had never happened. At least then the vast majority of religions would be able to be generalized. It's only Christians who can have the same name on 200 churches in a town and they all hate each other.

I was kidding, lol. Plus, there is no way Scientology or Mormonism are Christian.

You can put most of us in the same category. My definition of whether they actually are Christian or not is whether they are interpreting scripture. Some churches do not. Some churches do. For instance, the Episcopalians believe that Homosexuality is not a bad character trait in a priest despite Timothy mentioning that a pastor should be married to one wife (One wife specified because of practice where during a time of war, the church sometimes approves polygamy. We saw this following the German Unification).

However, the Catholics, who believe the last two lines of the Lord's Prayer are not actually there, are interpreting scripture, because they say that the extra two lines were added after the fact and that Jesus never actually said them... I personally don't mind that for two reasons. 1) I've never looked that debate up and 2) They are still citing outside sources to refute that is scripture, they aren't refuting scripture.

A very small difference, and most of them are. Really rather petty if you ask me. I'm becoming more and more non-denominational as I realize there are tiny faults in every denomination, and that it really should come down to personal interpretation. Its a lot like political ideology. Nobody who actually has a strong political ideology is going to line up perfectly with the Republican or Democratic party (This may not apply in Europe).

DeletedUser

Here I was thinking I was gonna get into a heated up debate :icon_twisted:

but there is nothing really to talk about...although I do agree with what Pearberr said about personal interpretation...that has really split people up in different religions.

DeletedUser

Here I was thinking I was gonna get into a heated up debate :icon_twisted:

but there is nothing really to talk about...although I do agree with what Pearberr said about personal interpretation...that has really split people up in different religions.

Wouldn't call them different religions. ALL Christians, and the majority of those who call themselves Christian believe that the only way to salvation is through faith in Jesus Christ as the savior of our sins. The interpretation of scripture, and whether people regard scripture as important is irrelevant for salvation, although it causes me to disrespect a lot of people like the Episcopalian Lutheran Church, which went against Timothy's Pastor Code and are now allowing openly gay pastors... They will still go to heaven as long as they believe in Jesus Christ as savior.

Now Mormons and Oprahism is not Christian, because salvation does not come through faith. In Mormonism, it comes from works, and in Oprahism, there is no set salvation. :icon_confused: