The Free Writing Thread!

• Thread starter CallousStranger
  • Start date

DeletedUser

When liberty dies, so shall peace reign.
For it cannot be said they are one in the same.

DeletedUser

Again, don't be too harsh :icon_confused:.

Cold Steel

[spoil]The cold steel crashes and bangs, the clatter never-ending, never-ceasing. It reverberates and spreads, infinite and filling the world with a terrible clamour, the likes of which had not been heard for millenia. In that clamour there is no silence, no void in which to escape. There is only the sound; the dreadful, piercing shriek of metal on metal and man on man that would end in the death of one or the other, or perhaps both.

It was into this clamour that he jumped, dealing blows left and right that would have murdered any mortal man. But his blows were as effective against those enemies as against spirits. These shadows are no more tangible than his own thoughts, for they are indeed his own thoughts. They manifest themselves in these "spirit" forms, always clashing and fighting with one another. Neither side gives way, and neither side can become the clear victor, and so he is always conflicted. The conflict is a never-ending battle waged within his own head, one he can no more end than he can escape.

As if to defy all his reason and all his logic, and to end that battle, a bright light manifests itself on the battlefield. The light draws the attention of each soldier, each spirit, each thought, and the clamour soon stops. The silence that ensues is complete and whole, one that could not be more perfect. His entire being is focused, and it sees each and every conflicting thought for what it is, as they all stare at this bright light. Rather than seek out the source of this light, he instead examines each thought. With the understanding of each thought, more and more disappear, proved implausible or otherwise nonsensical. And as the spirits disappear, as his thoughts organize and rearrange, the space widens and elongates. He no longer feels suffocated by the close proximity at which his thoughts are at war, and he finally feels as though he can breathe freely.

His thoughts gone and organized, he realizes his preferred plan of action and looks at the bright light. It draws him in, enticing him with promises of joy and happiness. The invitation is irresistible, and he slowly feels himself drawn towards his benefactor. The benefactor urges him onwards with a kind hand, guiding him towards the reality of his situation and how to enjoy it, rather than fight it. As he reaches the light's source, he reaches out his gloved fist, coated in blood that is as artificial as the world he retreated into when his thoughts were at war, and touches the light source. Instantly, he is transported out of his state of mind, and out of the strange world he was in.

When he opens his eyes, he feels his arms around the girl he loves, and relaxes. He knows their minds have met and closes his eyes, finally at peace.[/spoil]

DeletedUser

The attention span of a rock
Where's my left sock?
That guy has ears like spock
I wanna hear this vulcan talk.

Turn around, then back
Look into the mirror, scare yourself, have a heart attack.
Turn off the lights, it's pitch-black
I think i just walked into the towel rack.

Make a sandwich, white bread
Remember what what mom said
"Make a mess and i'll slap you upside the head!"
And then go to bed.

DeletedUser

The attention span of a rock
Where's my left sock?
That guy has ears like spock
I wanna hear this vulcan talk.

Turn around, then back
Look into the mirror, scare yourself, have a heart attack.
Turn off the lights, it's pitch-black
I think i just walked into the towel rack.

Make a sandwich, white bread
Remember what what mom said
"Make a mess and i'll slap you upside the head!"
And then go to bed.

When you make a poem rhyme,
Try to make it stay in time.

(That's my preference anyway, others differ.)

DeletedUser

Dude I wrote that in like 30 seconds 'cause I was bored, of course it's not perfect. Just killing time. :p

Anyways, it's based on actual things I did today. I've been bored.

Last edited by a moderator:

DruidEarth

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
When the evening falls and the daylight is fading
From within me calls a voice that I remember
For a moment I fought, but the thought is complete now
Close to her, now I hear her voice. Close to her, feeling so far away

No one knows how much time I still have left now
But I know it will be sufficient to see her some day
Now I spend the night, resting in the big forest
It is cold, actually freezing, but I can't go home

The forest needs me, I heard the voice calling me
It needs my help, my guidance and caring
So I'm here, in the grass, while the rain keeps falling
Singing and dancing in the rain, blessing every minute

I love this particular forest, it's so peaceful and quiet
It welcomes me whenever I like, and I visit quite often
It seems happy to see me, and I'm happy too
For I have gotten to know every tree and leaf

I am grateful for this life, and every more minute I have
Because my life has rewarded me with many many things
And of course there's been pain and cruelty, even depression
But in the end, all emotion passes away, and only I remain

Live the moment. It is never returning;)
I love you. <3

Again, don't be too harsh :icon_confused:.

Cold Steel

[spoil]The cold steel crashes and bangs, the clatter never-ending, never-ceasing. It reverberates and spreads, infinite and filling the world with a terrible clamour, the likes of which had not been heard for millenia. In that clamour there is no silence, no void in which to escape. There is only the sound; the dreadful, piercing shriek of metal on metal and man on man that would end in the death of one or the other, or perhaps both.

It was into this clamour that he jumped, dealing blows left and right that would have murdered any mortal man. But his blows were as effective against those enemies as against spirits. These shadows are no more tangible than his own thoughts, for they are indeed his own thoughts. They manifest themselves in these "spirit" forms, always clashing and fighting with one another. Neither side gives way, and neither side can become the clear victor, and so he is always conflicted. The conflict is a never-ending battle waged within his own head, one he can no more end than he can escape.

As if to defy all his reason and all his logic, and to end that battle, a bright light manifests itself on the battlefield. The light draws the attention of each soldier, each spirit, each thought, and the clamour soon stops. The silence that ensues is complete and whole, one that could not be more perfect. His entire being is focused, and it sees each and every conflicting thought for what it is, as they all stare at this bright light. Rather than seek out the source of this light, he instead examines each thought. With the understanding of each thought, more and more disappear, proved implausible or otherwise nonsensical. And as the spirits disappear, as his thoughts organize and rearrange, the space widens and elongates. He no longer feels suffocated by the close proximity at which his thoughts are at war, and he finally feels as though he can breathe freely.

His thoughts gone and organized, he realizes his preferred plan of action and looks at the bright light. It draws him in, enticing him with promises of joy and happiness. The invitation is irresistible, and he slowly feels himself drawn towards his benefactor. The benefactor urges him onwards with a kind hand, guiding him towards the reality of his situation and how to enjoy it, rather than fight it. As he reaches the light's source, he reaches out his gloved fist, coated in blood that is as artificial as the world he retreated into when his thoughts were at war, and touches the light source. Instantly, he is transported out of his state of mind, and out of the strange world he was in.

When he opens his eyes, he feels his arms around the girl he loves, and relaxes. He knows their minds have met and closes his eyes, finally at peace.[/spoil]
I don't get why you're so shy about these. I really enjoyed this one. There's a definite measure of truth in it.

When you make a poem rhyme,
Try to make it stay in time.

(That's my preference anyway, others differ.)
Yeh, I'm like that too. Verso libre or completely rigid. I have trouble finding a middle ground. I much prefer verso libre because my rhyming poems with proper meter end up like crap. Maybe I'm just too harsh on myself. (Side note: verso libre is Spanish. It translates literally to free verse. I don't know if that's the proper English term. The only literature course I have ever taken was in Spanish, so I'm more familiar with most terms in that language.)

Haikus from today:

Flowers in the rain
Collect raindrops on petals
Too much water spills

We wait in silence
For the darkness to claim you
You'll be in my heart

DeletedUser

I'm shy about them because I don't share my writings often and I don't have much feedback on them :icon_redface:.

DeletedUser

roses are red
watches are gold
get on your knees
and do what youre told

Last edited by a moderator:

DruidEarth

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Once upon a time
A flower bloomed in winter
Underneath the snow

One thing I like about haiku is how short they are but how much they can convey. Layers of meaning, open to interpretation.

DeletedUser

You fear me now,
And shall 'til death,
When I am no more,
No life shall be left,
You fear my grip,
You fear my touch,
When I come around,
Your senses will rush,
Some I do weaken,
And some I do strengthen,
Who am I now?
Of what do I mention?

DeletedUser

fear. you fear fear, but when its on your side it brings strength to you and weakness to your enemies.

DeletedUser92094

My rhymes are sick.
Your kinda' thick.
Think you can out do me? you can't even reach puberty.
But enough about adolescence, you'd get enough from your parents.
So i'll talk about your mother.
She's a little different from every other.
We mated, before we even dated.
Was a lot of money, for just two nights.
But guess what? Your mother bites.

trofl?

DeletedUser

When darkness comes
When evening falls
When all is black
I will paint the skies with stars...

When loneliness calls
When emptiness comes
When shivers are here to stay

When the world comes to an end
And life does not know where to begin
When all I can do, is breathe and talk

DeletedUser

We're happy now, we are having fun..
I once was blind but now i see...
Hey little train, wait for me!
I was held in chains but now i am free
I'm hanging in there, don't you see?
In this process of elimination

DruidEarth

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
If only I had something to give,
Something special just for you.
If only I had some love to give,
Some love special just for you.

If only I could touch you and know
The dreams and visions you have held.
If only I could offer to you
These secrets I have borne too long.

DeletedUser

Santa Claus

Children getting presents.
Our society is about owning stuff.​

The more we have, the less we enjoy it!

Always unsatisfied!
Never content!​

Always playing the big friend!
The good guy, giving presents

Thank you, our civilization has been ruined!​

DeletedUser

Smashing you with bricks in my hand
Damn you, bitch, get off my land
With knives I'd stab, your bones I'd break
Revenge is a gift I would love to take

Knowing me, my weakness, and my fears
Knowing it all, having seen my tears
The only thing I can never forgive
Don't lie to me, for as long as you live

Don't you fucking dare, you were all I had
After all, I'm just a little vulnerable lad
Lying to me, while knowing me the best
If I can't trust you, how can I trust the rest?

You knew me well enough to know that I'm a tough guy
The only thing I can't cope with is you telling me a lie
Now you didn't lie once, nor twice, but a hundred times
You got me back where I started, depressed and writing rhymes

Now I have just 1 more thing, and I say it for everyone to see
I shit on you, your ways and lies, no more lying to me

Deleted User - 4669627

Shu'fat

i had never seen an elderly man more agitated. here he was in the center of the crowded street screaming and shaking his cane, threatening to spare not the rod unto the children. their crime? they greeted the foreigners with cries of "Shalom!" how confused their young minds must have been. before that day their entire world had existed of Arabs and Jews, there was no such thing as the Spaniard, the Italian, the American, the German, the French, the Brit, the Norwegian they encountered that day. Only Arabs and Jews existed for them and these foreigners who came to play football with them were obviously not Arabs, so they must be Jews and if the Jews came to play football with them, what other word should the children greet them with? but the old man had lived his whole life in the same house in constantly changing neighborhood. he was there when the land was his father's. he was there when the Jews claimed it. he was there when it became a refugee camp. he was there when every war was fought over that constantly changing neighborhood. he was always there bearing witness to all that happened, but never, never could he conceive they would witness what he witnessed that day.