W27 Weekly Discussion Thread

DeletedUser

you will be remembered as the tribe that sit back and let us take your villages while you pick on smaller tribes you know you can beat lol whiich is fine with me :p

Gunther Maplethorpe

I wouldn't say that SBM has just sat back and allowed Shadow to take their villages; I think that's a bit of an unfair generalization. To make a poor analogy: when the Spanish conquistadores conquered the Inca, would you characterize the Inca as sitting back and allowing the Spaniards to simply take them over? Or was it really just a matter of overwhelming superiority on the part of the Spaniards?

Instead, I think this world has seen a classic endgame scenario. (Certainly not classic to TW, being the first to my knowledge to progress to this point, but classic to most any multi-player strategy game.) The opening phase is an initial period of build-up and relative chaos. Some players rise quickly, some are quickly disappointed and quit, some just hang around and try to learn. Eventually, strong alliances are formed - this is the second phase. These alliances are fluid, and the balance of power shifts among the several alliances. Most TW worlds are still in this phase; it's the real meat of the game. At some point, one alliance tips the scales and becomes the de facto superpower, forcing all others onto the defensive. Frequently, this results in that superpower fracturing for one reason or another, cycling the game back into the second phase...but on occasion, it remains cohesive, moving the game into the terminal phase. In TW, this means cleanup of all remaining resistance. This game exhibits what I've heard termed as the "runaway leader" problem - meaning, once a player (or cadre of players) gets a certain point ahead of the others, it is impossible to catch them; merely by being the leader, it increases the chances of remaining the leader. (I would also say that the runaway leader problem really only exists in TW once the third phase has started, and even then, on most worlds, player egos force a recycling into phase two, but that's a discussion for anotehr time and place.)

I posit that phase three started here on W27 once the major players of [IRON] became disheartened and quit; that was when any real resistance to Shadow became decreasingly possible. The fact that Shadow has not fallen to internal power struggles or boredom, like so many other older worlds, is what sealed the deal.

It's not that SBM has just sat back and given villages away; it's that most have realized that there is nothing to be done about it. Picking on smaller tribes is likely seen as the one thing that can be done. Postponing the inevitable, surely, but still something to do while waiting.

DeletedUser

every sbm member ive nobled pretty much gave away their villages to me. at this point you can pretty much pick anyone in the top 100 that is not in shadow, send 2 nukes and a noble train to any of their villages and you are guaranteed a new village without any renoble attempts. now granted we do have overwhelming force on our side but none of that does any good if people just roll over and give their villages away like so many red barbs.

DeletedUser

I have to agree with pally here; I have found very little resistance when fighting SBM, particularly in recent times. I don't know about our overwhelming superiority, there has been little to stop you sniping trains or even doing some dodging, but most opponents seem to care little what happens. I'll admit that some have resisted well - most notably Rainbowbadger who should be lauded for her determination, skill and perseverance, and indeed many players whilst apathetic about the machinations of their defence, with simply refuse to give up. I think this is the common scenario, as you said - many are not really willing to invest the time to defend against overwhelming odds which is very understandable really and simply let whatever troops are in the village defend it; they will however seek to relocate and build up again, or take little barbs to pass the time while they wait until their reckoning.

I do like your model for the world however and I may well allude to it or even discuss it in my forthcoming history work on this world.

Gunther Maplethorpe

Perhaps you've got a point there, regarding sniping, dodging, and takebacks. There are some who still the first two, fewer who accomplish the third, but you're correct in that the majority will try to stack, and if that fails, give the village over. It's likely seen as futile to try and save a village, even if truly, it isn't -- unless there is a coordinated assault, stacking, sniping and dodging will still work most of the time, and unless the opponent is really interested, he'll go after an easier target - of which there are plenty!

DeletedUser

A very big thankyou to Zarin for the time he has taken in giving us a weekly. Best of luck to him in his new role as W27 Blogger.

DeletedUser

well, there's the end of my legacy :D

congratz, Zar, you deserve that purple name ;)