OLD generation vs NEW generation

yeil

That depends as if you put an old school player that only had access to what they did then against a player that plays now with all the new scripts etc. if they are both similar in skill obviously the new generation will win.

bugcommander

whats your guys definition of old school and new school? Because depending on what we are talking abut my answer could change greatly

DeletedUser

I went the trial and error road on w25. Taught me some hard lessons. Such as mixed villages are not good lol. I am gonna be forced to agree in all ways but 1 with you. The elders must earn respect before it can be given

My first world as well... Good times...

DeletedUser

ive had half decent players under my teachings who rimmed lot of old players with some scary tw stats.i think it counts,right?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'd say old generation would "win", much more experienced players.

DeletedUser

Oh this old arguement again, I see...

As on so many worlds, I will restate what so many players have argued to this point; The new reign over the old.

Now being old myself, that is a hard pill to swallow (just to point that out before anyone assumes bias by looking at this acct's join date alone...ALIAS).

The reasoning here is found in the endless resources new players have to teach them nowadays. Back in the day, say even as far as W1, we all had to learn for ourselves. There was no one to teach us tactics or give us guides because everyone was a newb back then. We had to learn through the old fashioned way of trial and error. We had to make our own mistakes and adapt a strategy based on our own failures and successes, not those of others.

For the above reason, the new tend to develop skill much faster but for the same reason, you should always have a healthy respect for your elders... for paving the way for you youngster to have an easy ride to excellent. :icon_wink:

+1

Just to expand on it a little though, I started back in Early "08" on W14, total newb and went about learning things the hard way even then I never improved because I wasn't willing to listen to anyone because I was too stubborn in wanting to do it myself and ended up being rimmed by a former Alliance because they wanted me to shove it and be gone, that sort of woke me up but not enough to follow the advice of others.

It took me actually leaving the game and doing some major RL growing up to come back in December of last year to join W53, that's where I've met and gotten to know some great people, in my journey over the last 2 months I've learnt a lot more than I had the previous 2 and 3/4 years I had been playing. I am starting to listen to others and hearing what they have to say. I may be "Old Generation" but I've been rekindled as the "New Generation" thinker.

In the end it doesn't matter where you are now because in the beginning we all started in the same place... a newb learning the hard way before you started listening to mentors. If we can all sit back and learn from everything we do and say in the TW community we will all still be learning new things even if they seem insignificant such as refining a strategim with a new way of looking at it.

New Gen and Old Gen, there are no right or wrongs... just sheer luck of the draw as to whom is bested on each world :)

DeletedUser3397

Most new players came into being during what I call the "startup age". I'd say most of the top players now reign from that birth in TW.

Even so, the old is definitely much cooler.

DeletedUser

Most new players came into being during what I call the "startup age". I'd say most of the top players now reign from that birth in TW.

Even so, the old is definitely much cooler.
Cooler i agree.since back then there was much more fun and players played mostly for fun.
but not better. :p

DeletedUser

You can't compare the old with the new. Back then it was different and it's different now. With all these new tutorials, militia's. Also back then the game was new more inexperienced players. Now you could get taught how to play much quicker.

DeletedUser

This is a hard question.

For knowledge on thew inner workings of the game, strategies, and how to manipulate other players/tribes... I'd go with old school players.

For knowledge on the newest scripts, grouping methods, farming methods, sniping methods, etc, etc... I'd go with new school.

DeletedUser93439

This is a hard question.

For knowledge on thew inner workings of the game, strategies, and how to manipulate other players/tribes... I'd go with old school players.

For knowledge on the newest scripts, grouping methods, farming methods, sniping methods, etc, etc... I'd go with new school.

I don't think scripts matters a lot, I'd rather say the old generation had a fair amount of time to learn how scripts work, which are the best

They are also more experienced of dodging/backtiming/sniping. Its not because a world is old, they don't get updated

DeletedUser

I don't think scripts matters a lot, I'd rather say the old generation had a fair amount of time to learn how scripts work, which are the best

They are also more experienced of dodging/backtiming/sniping. Its not because a world is old, they don't get updated

You're right :icon_cry:

I was thinking about old players that just come back to the game after a couple years, like myself... A lot has changed and a lot of new things to learn.

DeletedUser93439

You're right :icon_cry:

I was thinking about old players that just come back to the game after a couple years, like myself... A lot has changed and a lot of new things to learn.

Same goes for me, I might not look like much on the stats, but I kinda freaked when I saw all the changes since then :icon_redface:

DeletedUser

I only left the game for about 6 months but there seemed to be alot of changes, the tutorial helps speed up startup for example then there is militia. theres also betters ways to farm now, and now everyone and their dog seems to be able to fire off a 150 ms train.

I think that it was easier for old players to get their reputation alot of them i think its was like the first to adapt and understand the game the new generation have had more to compete with and world now are much harder,

DeletedUser

+1

Just to expand on it a little though, I started back in Early "08" on W14, total newb and went about learning things the hard way even then I never improved because I wasn't willing to listen to anyone because I was too stubborn in wanting to do it myself and ended up being rimmed by a former Alliance because they wanted me to shove it and be gone, that sort of woke me up but not enough to follow the advice of others.

It took me actually leaving the game and doing some major RL growing up to come back in December of last year to join W53, that's where I've met and gotten to know some great people, in my journey over the last 2 months I've learnt a lot more than I had the previous 2 and 3/4 years I had been playing. I am starting to listen to others and hearing what they have to say. I may be "Old Generation" but I've been rekindled as the "New Generation" thinker.

In the end it doesn't matter where you are now because in the beginning we all started in the same place... a newb learning the hard way before you started listening to mentors. If we can all sit back and learn from everything we do and say in the TW community we will all still be learning new things even if they seem insignificant such as refining a strategim with a new way of looking at it.

New Gen and Old Gen, there are no right or wrongs... just sheer luck of the draw as to whom is bested on each world :)

And a +1 for as well sir, I must agree with you as something very similar was my story...

I started in W1 a bit late but had no idea how to play, other than the bit of time spent on a coplay account prior there. I was very stubborn and eventually quit for a while. Came back in W5 and was lucky enough to be picked up by a mentor (who tbh didn't really know a whole helluva lot but taught me at least the general game operations lol), then also even helped by my greatest enemy there... learning from him the hard way though. :icon_evil:

...Oh I still remember the pain I felt when I lost my first village to what I thought to be an impossible train (later realizing it was sub-par at best), god knows I had no idea what sniping even was, let alone knowning how to do it. I remember thinking that nukes were some special thing you musta got later ingame :icon_redface:

Life was tough for the old back then but we have something that most newer players (more specifically, world-hoppers) lack... Stickitivity... and a little bit of extra knowledge to fall back on when the newer methods fail us, ancient tricks of the trade, so to speak, that you won't find in any new-age guides or tactical teachings. :)

DeletedUser3397

That reminds me of my experience as well. I went on a huge hiatus, the 20's to 40. When I came back, people called me crazy because I had no idea who Nauz or Purple was. So much was new to me, couldn't believe it. Even now, the game is still evolving.

As stupid as it sounds to blast competitiveness, the competitiveness of start up has ruined the game. While it is fun (and I'm subject to it), it kills the game. It becomes to where every top 5 is the same players over and over again. Eventually, people stop playing from dying from repetitiveness.