On Victory

Michael Wittman

It is a good question to bring up on these forums for i am sure many wonder. i play for my friends(you know who you are) i play for victory because i cannot accept defeat. i love strategy, that about sums it up.

i wish the best of luck to you all. mostly to BH because i do not like THE's pnp attitude. This war will change your tribes, THE and BH will never be the same. Such is the collateral of war.

DeletedUser

Ironically, I truly haven't seen THE come alive like this in quite some time. There are some obvious points of concern, but...Well, I think you guys know what I mean.

It's been quite some time since THE faught a serious war of their own and the activity problems were highlighted on these forums before. It seems that this war with BH is exactly what you guys needed to get back in shape and back to your previous best. Hopefully it brings out the best in your guys and you can make it a really good close war.

cececole

I have often said that who you are in RL can't help but come through in your TW gameplay. You may try on a different identity, wear a mask to play the role, but you RL behavior, personality and values will always rule. This is my opinion.

TW is a social game. It requires cooperation among players for "success" as a tribe. Being a highly social creature, I can not fathom what satisfaction some find in being outside a tribe and endlessly eating abandoned barbs and inactives to emass a bloated account. The challenge and success is not in the size of the account, but the efforts to grow it and defend it. The challenge of taking a disparate group of players at different skill and interest levels from around the world and organizing/motivating them to work to the common goal is part of the game.

Even extend this concept to pnp. Some are active participants that thrive on the verbal sparring. Others never even read it..... Some keep their replies short and succinct or witty or comical. Others (such as myself) tend to ramble too long. Some carefully craft their responses, others respond in haste with questionable logic, grammar, spelling or typing. Some focus on replying to the posts of others. Others are all wrapped up in themselves and start every other sentence with "I". I expect just another reflection of who we are IRL (yes, I talk A LOT).

Why do we play the game? Do we even know why? How do we play it? All interesting questions to ponder.

Pajuno

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
i play to win, but win at my own code of Honor.

You can play by your code, some have told me that MY code was a handicap of sorts...

Funny, all but one of those players have given up before me.. have passed into the sunset, their names forgotten.,.. yet here i am, still leading my band of merry warriors.

i can tell you tales of failure, of benchwarming, or even being witness to the greatest comeback in my schools history. (yes, my five points in a track meet counted to make the final race worthy, in the league finals) but i am here to tell you i have never failed in TW... nor have i ever failed my tribe.

persistence is my skill, and i wield it mightily.. Jp, if you even have HALF of my heart.. you should come out this war as the almighty winner... But if you dont, BH will murder you....

DeletedUser79042

Hey.. come on R2... it is a good post, give credit where credit is due...
I ...did :
Good article! :icon_wink:
What else did you expect ? We are at war... :icon_twisted: Chivalry is a thing of the past.:icon_neutral:

If you love him more, you can write up an obituary for THE :lol: cause as Paj, bluntly put it ...
BH will murder you....

At least Paj, most definetly got one of the sisters allright :lol:. We are working on the other as it seems...
Now if JP wants to make that seem more wonderful and astonishing, I truly want to see posts like the first one. And since bookie is not around at the pnp for he is ...busy in RL "working" as he told me, (I suspect :icon_eek: he is still ...marking incomings for at least 4-5 accounts he is sitting :lol:), I say we are looking far better in the pnp than ever before....

Excuse me now, I must go and keep my nuke flow rolling... It will not stop. :axemen:

robot out

DeletedUser

Well, folks, we're all pretty amped about this war. We've been declared on, and since I haven't gotten to write a declaration I figured I'd do it in this format. And while I know some passions are running high, lets try to put that aside. We can all point fingers at things other people disagree with, but lets try to put that aside for a minute and examine why someone plays this game. Hopefully you guys, whether you're in THE, BD, Phoenx, DECIDE, or another tribe, will join me in this little examination.

Many of us play for social reasons; we love our teammates and we love working with them, so we stick together. Many of us play because they want to win – they're out there to take someone down. Then there's the guys who play just to be a thorn in someone's side; they might be going down, but they're gonna get someone special before they go. There are also those who play for the challenge; they don't care if they win or lose, they care about having a go of it. There's also dozens of other reasons people might play, but those cover the broad spectrum of it. As long as you're getting what you want out of the game, that's your "victory" – that's why you play.

Me? I'm that latter sort. I love my team, and I love victory. I have my rivalries, but in the end it comes down to the challenge. I have a great real-life example of this, in fact, but it means going back in time. From 5th grade to 10th I played Lacrosse. I was really, really eh at the game; I had my moments, but most of them were achievements in the noble field of warming benches. Maybe it was competition with future NFL All-Pro classmates, maybe it was an early inability to catch the ball, but I really only got my chance to play when the game was over. I played for nothing but the fun of playing. Now, I've got a bum knee; had it since a 9th grade football injury, and I wore a knee brace that squeaked, earning the ingenious nick-name “Squeaky” to go on top of dozens of others I had.

So anyway, this one game I'm playing Attack, and I see the ball on the ground and a Defensemen is going to grab it. So I line up a nice hard shoulder check on him, and as I'm getting ready to lay him out...He's laid out, alright. On top of me, by my teammate. And this big, 200 pound mofo is on top of me, and my bad knee? Totally shot. I got up and had to use my lacrosse stick as a cane. I remember looking to my right, seeing my coach screaming at me to “get off the field!,” and I...I laughed. I was limping, I don't know quite how, but when the pass came to me I put the ball in the goal. My teammates cheered even though I couldn't really walk, even though we lost the game something like 12-4. It was my only goal that year, and my last Lacrosse game – I spent a good chunk of the summer laid up after knee surgery to fix the injury. And we loved it.

Y'see, I got a trip to the OR, my team lost, and I suffered a great deal of pain...But I'd given all I could. The challenge was greater than me, my team didn't win or lose because of it, but I felt like I'd accomplished something. I'd taken lumps and I'd come through and done something. Of course, after I recovered I took up Tennis and from being a newbie in 11th grade I finished All-Division in 12th, signaling that I should have just played -that- the whole time, but hey! I can safely say that I got the daylights beaten out of me and that my team went home beaten, but not humiliated, because we proved that win or lose we're not going to knuckle under – we're going to play for the sake of playing.

That's me. That's what I try to bring to THE. With this war, win or lose, there's going to be a fight. The stats are bad right now. I'm not blind to the fact that our enemies performed an excellent strategic move. I give them credit! We can argue about ethics, but logistics are less forgiving – we left ourselves exposed and we're paying the price. But where countless tribes were counted out (Phoenx and Decide being two of them), now THE is being counted out. All I have to say to this thought is simple: Even if we end up needing some season-ending surgery for it, even if the victory isn't ours to take, we're gonna go down swinging and we're gonna enjoy the fact that someone came around that was able to out-play us. To us, I think that's our own "victory."

Okay JP it was a nice story and it had the effect you were looking for based on some of the responses. Now let's get down to the meat & potatoes of it all and the real reason this was posted. You are using your talents as a story teller to play the sympathy card and try and sway the bad publicity that has been shown in BH's declaration page. This was nothing more then a stunt to gather support and to pump your own tribe up with some feel good news. Judging by the posts that have been made already, you were pretty successful at it.

Now let's break down your story here as none of us have any idea whether any of it is true or not and must base our opinion on what is wrote. Now I know that Lacrosse is a very physical game and football is too but tennis is one of the worst sports you can play with a bum knee. I also wish to know about the lacrosse game where you saw the ball on the ground got laid out and then had to use your stick for a crutch but managed to grab a pass from the ball on the ground and then throw it to score while you could not stand without the stick for a crutch.

You see , stories are used to bring people up as well as bring people down and you have tried to do that here. Whether the story is true or not only you and yourself could know. This was not about declaring anything other then trying to change the direction of the bandwagon that is rolling down the road.

Mick876

I never even read it. And people say Paj writes walls of text :icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

nice post, some nice replies to

i once was having a fight under a pylon with my knee's on the lads shoulders while i right and left hooked him repeatedly until my hands bled, i then got kicked off him and stamped on for what felt like an hour by his elder brother i got up collapsed got up collapsed then thankfully i knocked myself out on one of the colapses and someone kindly called an ambulance,

didnt walk of eat for a while and couldnt even smoke, lost some teeth broke some bones got some scars, got a group of my mates and returned the favour,

bit like a tribe mentality i started a fight on my own (i won!) i got ass wooped as didnt get any support then planned an op and repayed the favour just like tribal wars i just didnt know it at the time, rl shapes how you are but sometimes you have to avoid the fight and live for another day

on topic post go me..

DeletedUser

Nicely done JP.

I play for my tribe, my friends. To me, loyalty and dedication, sacrifice and teamwork, are the best part of this game.

If all cogs are turning like this, it is unstoppable.

THE had this, which is why we have won our wars thus far. This will be a challenge to fight all the tribes that are at war with us, but I think it is possible this may have woke up the beast in THE.

DeletedUser

First off, well said JP. You've piqued a drive for me to share my own interest in this game, and why it is I keep tabs on it, even after quitting so long ago.

I will "try" to keep it short, but must honestly say that, despite my love of strategy games (Board games such as Chess and Risk, as Luis mentioned, or RTS such as Age of Empires, Civilization or Warcraft for example), I never really played this game for that aspect. Most notably due to being a console and PC gamer, I am used to handy, easy interfaces and accessible game-play. What can I say? I'm spoiled. But I think perhaps as a result, I found the actual game-play of TW entertaining to a degree, but often falling short in its tedious need for "add-on" functions (as found in scripts and external sites) which, at best, left micromanagement feeling more chore than game.

I must also say that I never really played it for a competitive edge. Don't misunderstand, I am very competitive, just see me at Modern Warfare 2, or most recently Red Dead Redemption, just to name a couple console games. Hell, sit me at a table with a game of Texas Hold 'Em, or give my past on the PnP's a glance. But truthfully, my drive to dominate in-game quickly faded with each world as the villages grew, and the game-play began to draw for me.

However, TW has something that no RTS nor board game has ever truly achieved. Hell, it even goes further than any MMO on the market in this factor: it has a community. An honest to God, fully functioning community, chocked full of Heroes, Villians, Jesters and Fools. The world is a meritocracy overseeing the feuds of Gods, and as "glory is the ash upon the mantel," the time to fall comes to each of us. The world turns, people come and go, but it is the community that remains; an organic second life in constant flux, teeming with diverse personalities. While other games struggle to achieve this, TW still does it best so far as I have witnessed. No other game can compare.

My point is this: I can easily say that, while I have found it impractical to continue playing this game due to my RL constraints, what I loved first and last about this game, the people, is the very fact that keeps me coming back to check in. I met a large percent of my Facebook friends on this game, and the funny thing is, I've known most of them for years now, and would be honored to know them in person as well.

So game-play be damned, I'm with Inflrc, its all for the people with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser79042

is why we have won our wars thus far
WHAT WARS ???????????? :lol: GO BACK TO PERMAVACATION!!! :lol:

(almos forgot)

robot out

DeletedUser

I think the "Ode to a jelous lover" hits the spot, this is not a game i initially wanted to like, i really really do not have the time to play it and shouldnt but still do. I have made good friends and the light hearted banter is always fun. I read some of the posts with real admiration and many others wondering wtf. The thrill of defeating an enemy of your tribe is great, seeing your tribes support rush to your aid even better. In a nutshell i would describe my reasons for playing are "Fun and Friends"

Cheers verm

PS and the prospect of listening to the wailing of the BH widows, as we toast victory with the Holy beer keg is rather appealing :)

DeletedUser79042

^^ it is members like Verm that make THE a better tribe in this world's eyes ... Okay ?
Despite that, I will nuke blast him in Vermland when and if I get to get there... :lol:

robot out

DeletedUser

I still can't believe everyone is buying this slobberfest.....allow me to freshen it up for you ladies....

[SPOIL]
polkadot.jpg
[/SPOIL]

Cabster

Very good post Pohl. It really sends home the message that how you play this game really shows the way you are in RL.
While you are playing you might not agree with everyone and some players you meet may create rumors or lies, but there will be always tribemates or friends that will definitely know exactly who you are and believe in your word above all else and viceversa, to me that is what has me hooked to this game; the ability to turn something as superficial as a game to true comradeship that you may see only in military during wars and tragedies.

I wish everyone involved in this war good luck and have fun thats why we are here! :icon_wink:

DeletedUser70594

Well Said Jp ... what about me: I play for my friends at first .. and only after this Victory is sweet for me ... Everyone`s duty to remember for what they play Here .. sometimes we forget about this ..

spleen mage

Liked the story. TW is a good game purely for the social side, which is why it's so hard to leave, and probably why I still pop up on the forums from time to time.

I never even read it. And people say Paj writes walls of text :icon_rolleyes:

Then why did you bother to reply...? Regardless of what side you're on, that's such a piss-poor attitude to have. If you're not going to read the post, then don't comment.

Last edited:

DeletedUser71844

Is this the 'We know we are going down so this is goodbye' thread from THE? :p

MR.MR

Is this the 'We know we are going down so this is goodbye' thread from THE? :p

No, its the 'The arrogance of a number of THE players when commenting on the DECIDE and BH wars of recent has damaged our rep, so this will help nullify some of those feelings' thread from THE :p